Zodiac
Years ago

Manute Bol may have played in NBA at age 50

"I gave him his birthday because they didn't know how old he was," Mackey, now a scout with the Indiana Pacers, told ZAGSBLOG.

But Mackey says Bol was probably much older and could have been in his 40s or even 50s when he played in the NBA. According to Wikipedia, Manute played in the NBA from his early 20s until his early 30s for various teams, including the Washington Bullets, Golden State Warriors and Philadelphia 76ers.

“It was in October, I wanted to make it after Sept. 1,” Mackey said. “I wanted to make sure he was young enough because he didn’t have an age. I think he was [in his 40s], I really do. But there’s no way of ever really knowing.”

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/11/21/report-manute-bols-birthday-was-made-up-may-have-played-in-nba-at-age-50/

Similar questions about the real age of Dikembe Mutombo persisted throughout his career too and we've even seen similar with our own Thon Maker.

Topic #42244 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Africa - where paperwork is too hard.

Reply #658989 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, those lazy Africans. Least they could do is find the time to complete, lodge, and file birth certificates in between all that civil warring.... Priorities.

Reply #659002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paperwork includes merely writing down date of birth on a bit of paper... not hard at all.

Reply #659005 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You're right, maybe when Bol Bol makes the NBA and has some money he can send over a team to try and find the piece of paper someone wrote his father's date of birth on.

Reply #659012 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Good job dismissing a complex history anon.

Yeah Manute should've written his date of birth down after he was born and enlightened his family to the value of westernised culture in the process, lazy fella.

Seriously once there's a 7Ft plus actor they should make a movie of his life. If done well it'd be an amazing story.

In this day and age the story will never happen. He'd be in an American program by age 13 and heaven and earth would be moved to accomodate his lack of western knowledge and help his 'grades.'

Reply #659013 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to believe, but I heard he didn't even get a birthday CAKE, let alone PARTY, on each yearly anniversary of him having entered the world. Not once.

Reply #659014 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Was one of my favourite players watching as a kid.
Hence my handle. RIP Manute

Reply #659016 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Look up 15 NBA players who shockingly lied about their age has players such as Serge Ibaka, Mutombo, Yao Ming and Greg Oden and yes Thon Maker is on the list.
Not sure of link try thesporter.com

Reply #659018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used to play blind drunk as well apparently

Reply #659020 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Not uncommon in a lot of countries to not have a date of birth recorded, especially with home births. Have a friend from Nepal who had to make up her birthday when her family got a visa to move to Canada. Literally was told to just make up her birthday. They use a different calender and don't put as much emphasis on birth days so not a big deal

Reply #659023 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remember when Bol and Barkley were teammates in Philly, Barkley told a story that Bol would tell everyone he once killed a lion with a spear growing up and Barkley said Bol used to always leave out the part that the lion was sleeping at the time.

Still the only player in NBA history to have more blocks than points.

Reply #659026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because date of births aren't recorded doesn't mean they should lie and lower their age by 10yrs. I'm sick of these liar players. Scamming from day one our western system.

Reply #659028 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

All love and respect to Manute for what he gave our great game, truly phenomenal to watch him play and if he did that at 50 whilst blind rotten drunk then I guess that adds to his legend... poor lion

Reply #659038 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Great players and once people are adults age doesn't really matter if they are physically capable of competing etc.

The issue in Australia is kids who are new arrivals and given an age of 12/14 when they are more likely 17 to 20 which might be fine for the classroom and trying to learn/fit into a new country but for sport it creates major issues...particularly when the dominate Junior Sports but then suddenly at "25/26" start fading/aging like a 35 year old which is always the big question with guys like Ibaka etc.

Reply #659041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just because date of births aren't recorded doesn't mean they should lie and lower their age by 10yrs. I'm sick of these liar players. Scamming from day one our western system.
Bye.

Reply #659048 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I wonder if he played U16 when he was really 25?

Reply #659054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Isaac, hardly think when these kids are coming through they're thinking "Let's take away a couple of years so I can play junior basketball an extra few years", and hardly think it's their call anyway.

Reply #659063 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Meh...

Greg Oden was still in high school when he was 50. This isn't that impressive.

Reply #659068 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Come on guys. A cheap shot while I'm dead?! No 50 year old man is hitting 6 threes in a half against a stacked Suns team. My skill set would be amazing in today's game...just saying.

Reply #659105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Thon Maker age questions seem to have gone away.

Reply #659235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754