Dome Rat
Years ago

Boomers and ticket sales

I have noticed a conserted effort on various social media to sell tickets to tonight Boomers game over the weekend.

I play the game and have many friends I would consider basketball junkies like myself. Not one person has raised going to the game tonight let alone discussed it.

Is this a marketing issue or a disconnect because the knowledgeable fans know this is a Boomers Lite squad. Is it the expectation that the Boomers will pump Japan so why pay to witness a whacking?

I am curious as to what peoples thoughts are

Topic #42262 | Report this topic

cat  
Years ago

all of the above

Reply #659388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the good seats have sold, and people I've spoken to in the basketball community are going. Not sure why you wouldn’t support an Australian team (whether the NBA guys are available or not). Ridiculous!

Disconnect? I have seen a great deal of ads and promotion, but I guess I’m just a true fan of the game.

Reply #659390 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

"true fan" , nice little dig anon

where have you seen all these ads and promotion?

Reply #659391 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

I have seen quite a bit of advertising on Fox Sports channels but I think a lot of people are put off by it being on a Monday night and it isn't exactly cheap. Social media has definitely had a bit of a blast in recent times as well but then if you aren't following the accounts you wouldn't see it.

I can't imagine it being a terribly big crowd if what I was told is correct about the top level of seats not being opened up for sale even.

Reply #659396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just face the facts, No one is interested in watching a second rate boomers team play a team they will pump by 30-50 points.
So you think any one would be interested in watching the Australian cricket team second 11 play??
Its the same as basketball, some of these players wouldn't even make the training squad if we had a full team to select.
Its not the players fault, anyone would represent their country if asked, is just the facts!!
Put the real NBA player dominated Boomers team out to play, and any arena would be sold out!!

Reply #659397 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't seen many promos and the ones seen (at 36ers games, I think) were a bit vague and used Mitch Norton as a feature image? (He's not in this team.)

Reply #659401 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

There's been local promotion in papers, on bus shelters and some TV ads. It started a couple of months back. Enough for me to notice and I don't usually notice advertising (don't watch much commercial TV).

I considered taking the family but when I checked ticket prices I thought it wasn't good value for money. Tickets were expensive, Boomers' players I could see at NBL games and Japan are unlikely to make it a close game.

As Anon posted above, I might have reconsidered if there were more first string Boomers playing or the opponent looked stronger.

Others I've asked have said they'll watch it on TV rather than go to the game.

Reply #659410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look dup the pricing and its $30 more to go tonight than on Friday night. Japan isn't a big enough reason to go and spend extra.

I will see 4 of the Boomers play Friday plus the coach in a game that should be closer and more entertaining to watch.

Reply #659412 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I saw Fowler's Live advertising on their FB page that if you buy two adult tickets to the Boomers game you get two kids tickets free or something like that.

Reply #659430 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm heading there tonight. I wasn't overly excited about ticket prices but i figure there wont be many opportunities to watch the Boomers (regardless of lineup) play in my life.

Reply #659438 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Don't be surprised if this Japanese team puts up a pretty spirited fight. This is a revamped squad with some pretty talented guards and swingmen (Togashi, Hiejima, Baba). Their new Argentine coach (Lamas) has put his imprint on the team since taking over a few months ago.

If not for a rotten nerve-riddled first 15 min or so, they would likely have beaten the Philippine team on Friday.

This isn't the same Japanese national team that got pumped by an off-season 36ers squad 3 or 4 years ago.

Reply #659444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The price is definitely a factor here. True fans of the game understand what is involved in tonight's billing. What exactly would one want to see from this game? If it just to support your country, that is not related to an appreciation of the game, or consideration of value for money.

In contrast, I previously went to see Aus vs Russia, paying about $20. Great night of basketball, with athletes and plays I couldn't normally watch, and really good value for money (that one could have cost more, IMO). It was also very easy to motivate a big group to go.

Give us something to pay for, and we will pay.

Reply #659445 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The Boomers were so boring, I nodded off in the stands. Loved the 5"6 guard from Japan....

Reply #659493 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yuki Togashi - he's a blast to watch! He doesn't run around the court... he floats!

Reply #659495 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Crowd was 4,152 from FIBA box score

Reasonable turnout.

Reply #659497 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Honestly, i wish i didn't waste my money on a ticket. It was a snore fest. I know the outcome was to ensure we won and there was no importance placed on entertainment - but there was also little to no energy (except for Creek) the performance lacked passion and it was a slow run down court, pass 9 times and jack up a shot style, YUCK.

desperately wanted Sobey on more, he creates, he brings energy which we ABSOLUTELY needed more of considering we were up against a VERY quick japanese team who were full of energy and had such a huge crack.

I also saw 4 or more steals where only one Japanese defender was anywhere close to us and we just re set, YAWN.

Reply #659498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what you get from Lemanis. Want a run and gun game then a new coach is needed. Just look at Brisbane.

Reply #659502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D Russ was right drop the ticket prices and they will come. Should of made it $20 each

Reply #659505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4100 isnt a reasonable turn out to watch a national team. The game was over priced for NBL level talent and a non factor opposition.

I would gamble the TV numbers were not great. Until the Boomers enter water cooler territory as the Socceroos have it will not convert.

As the above person said Goorjian-esque basketball style isn't appealing. Bevo and Wright style puts bums on seats and turn eyeballs on.

Reply #659508 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

YES! his coaching style is gross. GOD i hope he doesnt coach them into the actual World Cup.

Reply #659509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bronze family $70 Gold $260 and Gold was extended too normally bronze areas. Way over priced for NBL Boomers who were not allowed to get running. Happily pay for a different coach to run this group and get motoring. Played a relatively small team like the were a bunch of Euro big men. The players deserved better and so do the crowd for that money.

Reply #659515 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Lemanis after the Olympics. Running and gunning comes off the back of defensive plays rather than just throwing athletes out on the court, and I thought Australia was a fun team to watch in Rio.

Reply #659523 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Angus, did you watch last nights game?

I enjoyed Rio as well. This was, at best a BORING NBL style game. there were plenty of talented guys in the mix but they showed no flair, no guts, just pass - pass - pass - pass - pass - 3 point jack - Hodgey jumps for rebound - yawn, rinse repeat.

Reply #659524 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I did watch the game, but this is not Australia's A team. It's not even our B team, and with very little practice time together as well. I thought they did some good things, I also thought they turned the ball over a heck of a lot... Most of them were unforced errors too, just guys getting a little caught in the moment.

Reply #659526 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

You have to play to the strengths of your personnel. And the Boomers were run and gun at the Olympics and were maybe the best team to watch in the competition. But this Boomers B team doesn't have any Patty Mills, Delly or Bogut, so you have a play style that instead suits Cadee, Creek, and Kickert.

It wasn't exactly a rivoting game but in the end it got the desired result. The Boomers were likely running simple plays as they'd only just got back together. If you gave the same team a month or two to gel the product would likely be much more exciting, as all of those players generally are for the respective NBL teams. The talent is there.

After the way the Boomers put the world on notice at Rio, I can't think of any reason to cut Lemanis from the job. We've never come closer to a medal under any other coach, and I don't think now would be the time to start gambling with international rookies or calling on dinosaurs like Goorjian who are detached from Australian basketball now. Lemanis is the man for the job - period!

I think Australian basketball fans need to take a step back and see how lucky they are. Our C team was thrown together at the last second and still easily beat two of the A teams from the better basketball nations in Asia. You could argue that other top basketball nations might struggle to have the same result with their B and C teams in the same circumstance. Australian basketball has never been stronger.

Reply #659530 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It was the price that stopped me from going. I just thought it was too much money to see a 3rd string Boomers team destroy a weak opponent. If it was closer to a full-strength Boomers team playing a good opponent I would go. Otherwise it needs to be priced more like a regular NBL game.

Reply #659531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is an extended international tournament where the only issue is winning and by as much as possible to set you up for the next round. This is not some meaningless friendly where you put on a show.

It has nothing to do with entertaining the crowd or what the product looks like. Its purely about winning.

Reply #659532 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Ticket prices were why I didn't go. You can't justify $70 for guys you can see for $30 week in, week out. I can't imagine what they'd charge if you ever got a Boomers A team on home soil. But then again, that might be worth actually putting your money down on.

Reply #659533 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Anon

I would argue its also very much about the show as anything else. If there are no fans to watch it , there are no sponsors and therefore less pro athletes as there is no money

The Boomers had a chance to make it an enjoyable game and showcase some individual talents while they can. Its not like these guys are practicing for the Olympics or Worlds. It is pretty much an exhibition game considering the opposition

I can see 4 players and the coach on Friday night on the same court and I am sure my $30 will get me more entertainment than what was offered up with the Boomers

Reply #659537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again the Boomers are about winning 1st. They would be more worried about not qualifying for China and losing ASC funding than they would be about bums on seats in Adelaide round 1 of the qualifiers.

Kickett was the Boomers best player by a mile. Might as well play to your strengths rather than play a style that doesnt suit. Why try and play an up-tempo style when your best international player (on this team) isnt an athlete?

Reply #659538 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Soccer has been built on the fandom and media success of the Socceroos

Boomers need that for basketball to go next level in Australia. That won't happen while Lemanis is grinding it up

Reply #659540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think he "grinded it up in Rio"! Socceroos "best" are available all the time. The Boomers best however are not.

Horses for courses.

Reply #659543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could have won by a heap more if they didn't pull up on most fast break possession and they ran a little. Loads of passes not dished off to open players ahead and even more open looks not taken and the ball kicked around only to end with a junked up 3 and possession lost. Definitley favoured Kickert in a lot of sets. Not sure how that sets up for development of the team. I was expecting a thumping by this team looking at them and Japan. And who on here thought the Boomers should have gone much further with the talent they had and everyone is settling for less from the Olympic team.. they were disappointedthemselves as they know their own worth. They know they should have been Silver minimum and if you recall the games there were so many questions being asked. Time to be different and changed the game to our advantage. Aussie ball is unique, it shows in the NB and NBL. Let’s take that to the world and lift the game and make it even better.

Reply #659547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers beat Japan by 16 at the Asia Cup, 24 last night. That is about right for this group.

Reply #659550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754