Anonymous
Years ago

Perth @ New Zealand - future GF preview?

Should be a tight tussel!

Topic #42286 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Need Jack to do a write up for this game

Reply #659746 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Challenge accepted

Reply #659792 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Preview

Tussle

Learn to spell, for crying out loud.

Reply #659796 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Friday afternoons are the best time of the working week. It's the day of the long lunch, Friday beers, POETS day and of course NBL games.

Tonight, NBL fans will get to see the top of the table clash. NZ hosts Perth, and this is definitely the match of the round

What can we say about our sheepish cousins from across the ditch?.... Not much! They’re top of the table for a reason and look as entrenched in that position as Jay Weatherill is a South Aussie Premier. I guess it’s a good position to be in, there could be worse positions to be in, like Donald Trump’s PR Manager, or Donald Burke’s Philodendron pollinator...

They do things pretty choice over in Auckland. I’m almost tempted to join the NZ Police force just so I can be in a recruitment video.

Wildcat fans will be searching for a win tonight and it could be as rare as a sober schoolies at Victor. The Cats haven’t won over there since Dec 2013, gee that was when Rudd was PM, no… Gillard…. No Rudd. We’ve had a few PM’s since then and NZ have too.

Perth travel like a grumpy old man. They like their own bed and they like their dentures in their special glass. Travel is not a strong point. New Zealand have the wood on the Cats and I think Breakers fans will feast on roasted wildcat tonight, washed down with copious amounts of L&P. Choice, eh bro!

This might be the GF preview, but it might just show how the GF will end up.

Reply #659803 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I think the cats have got this. They turned the corner last week and rediscovered their trademark defense. Should be interesting to see if they can contain the on fire breakers. With no more knight NZ feasted on dribble penetration last time round. Cooke Jr and co have improved since then and will need a vast improvement to contain Pledger etc. This game will tell us a lot. If not, it should be confirmation that a new import big will be on the way in the near future.

Reply #659806 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Time for Cooke to finally show what he can do against tough opposition.

And they need Steindl to light em up.

Reply #659808 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Steindl. Ha ha ha!

Reply #659833 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Steindl has been underwhelming so far but I think he has had enough time to settle in and is ready for a bigger game.
NZ won't be a pushover like United but I think Perth will get this one just

Reply #659835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Cats will get this, and NZ due for a loss.

The scheduling this season is really shtt.

At least we won't have to see another Perth/NZ game until the championship series.

Reply #659860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At least we won't have to see another Perth/NZ game until the championship series."

until Round 16 on Jan 27th**

Reply #659871 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

This is maybe the first year where I wouldn't mind watching a NZ/Perth final. Historically they've been two of the more (comparatively) boring teams to watch as a non-fan, but that hasn't been the case this year.

NZ are definitely due for a loss, but not sure it happens tonight.

Reply #659873 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Most of the others are playing well, so it goes without saying that we'd like them all to bring their A game.
We know what Steindl is capable of, and so far we have only seen the barest glimpse.

If its a close tussle, the ability to bring on the B team and have Steindl drain bombs and stretch the D, could be the difference.

Reply #659886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and NZ due for a loss.

NZ are definitely due for a loss

Why?

Reply #659895 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cats need to defend the pick and roll much better, remmember what a reboind is and find a way to not let newbil take advantage of the smallee cotton defending him, if they are to beat NZ.

Reply #659915 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I want to see Sosa make a statement in this one. Newbill is legit but Sosa has not shown me yet that his passing aside he can take over a game. He needs to be aggressive. Take it to the hoop and dish.
Abercrombie and Penney are toast marking Tokoto so they will have to compensate offensively.
Tokoto and Wagstaff are key for Perth they each need 20+ to help Cotton out to have any chance.
I think Breakers have edge right now.

Reply #659919 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I want to see Sosa make a statement in this one. Newbill is legit but Sosa has not shown me yet that his passing aside he can take over a game. He needs to be aggressive. Take it to the hoop and dish.
Abercrombie and Penney are toast marking Tokoto so they will have to compensate offensively.
Tokoto and Wagstaff are key for Perth they each need 20+ to help Cotton out to have any chance.
I think Breakers have edge right now.
Loe and Pledge have to defend pick and roll better.

Reply #659920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire with 2 shocking 3 point attempts

Reply #659921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt is a mental midget, Pledger has his number.

Put Cotton and Brandt in the pick and roll every damn play and the Breakers win this by 25.

Newbill just over powers Cotton every play that's why he has lead the scoring each of the first 2 games between the teams.

Reply #659924 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What is this god awful buzzing sound?

I don't have tinnitus, do I?

Reply #659927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope you don't it is so annoying

Reply #659928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge couple of minutes for the Wildcats

Reply #659929 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Here comes the whistle, cats need to adjust

Reply #659930 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Refs messing with a good game again.

Reply #659931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have had 14 fouls and 5 of those have come in the last 2min...

Reply #659933 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gleeson telling his guys to watch the fouls, and he's picking up techs to put the game within reach...

Reply #659935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking

Reply #659936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a perth fan and i think the breakers are getting a arm chair ride

Reply #659937 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That was a rare defensive boo-boo by Vukona to give Wagstaff the 3.

Reply #659938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JP off the dribble is impossible to stop

Reply #659939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesse = GOAT

Reply #659940 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

JESSE MOTHERF**king WAGSTAFF!!!! Woooooooooo!!!

Reply #659941 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

:)

Reply #659942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the united game i said if perth brings that defensive effort they are impossible to beat. Thats how they demolish teams in playoffs!

Reply #659943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clutchstaff

Reply #659944 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

So we won't hear any complaining now when the Wildcats get home calls, 50'50's always go to the home team.

Reply #659945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth then day light,

Best team,

Best coaching staff,

Biggest supporters.

You get what you earn, three peat near certain.

Reply #659946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto - 25 points, 5 rebounds, 9 assists (plus a couple of passes that lead to freethrows), 1 steal, 2 blocks

Reply #659947 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Exceptional win with Cotton not firing. Now Stendl needs to find his groove, and all will be well.

Reply #659948 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Damo on newbill, finally

Reply #659949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for a bad road team tag. Won in Melboune, NZ and Brisbane in three straight games.

Reply #659951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw glimmer of the team that was so good in the playoffs last season in Melbourne but tonight that was a damn awesome display of defensive grind bball.

Reply #659953 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Anyone here know of a place to find the detailed team ladder stats like home wins/losses, road win/losses, Points for and Points against?

The NBL ladder no longer shows those.

Reply #659954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.flashscore.com.au/basketball/australia/nbl/standings/

Reply #659955 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Tokoto - 9 assists (plus a couple of passes that lead to freethrows)

Under FIBA stats, if the guy at the line hits at least 1 free throw, it is counted as an assist

Reply #659956 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Any other team wants the title this year they have to get through Perth first

Reply #659958 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"https://www.flashscore.com.au/basketball/australia/nbl/standings"

Thank you kindly.

Reply #659959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder what Walker would have been like as an import compared to Tokoto

Seems like a major blessing in disguise that injury

Reply #659983 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

The people that predicted that Tokoto would be a great import in the NBL were on the money for sure!

Reply #659989 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Good result, especially considering some of our big guns didn't contribute as much as usual to the score.

But way too early to start making predictions about 3peats.
Martin is just about due for his obligatory facial injury. and with Cooke going MIA when it counts an injury to any of our bigs could spell disaster.

Plus I'd expect other teams to adapt.
NZ still have an import slot up their sleeve

Reply #659991 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Credit to the Wildcats, they turned up ready to play and just wanted it more.
NZ won't be panicking yet, 9-2 with losses to Cairns & Perth isn't going to raise too many alarms.
Hopefully it has lit a fire under a few asses and they won't be complacent on Sunday in Brisbane.

Reply #660005 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Poor effort by Breakers. Wagstaff out-offnced Ili, Penney and Abercrombie. Newbill was contained. So we had trouble scoring. Wagstaff grabbed the initiative Q4 and game over.

Reply #660007 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ missed a lot of outside shots that had been falling previously but the biggest issue was the poor boxing out that saw Perth get a ton of second chance points.

Reply #660027 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wagstaff great down the stretch

Competitive game but Breakers missed lots of shots they've been hitting previously. Form comes and goes, that's basketball

Perth deserves to be favs and are my title tip, this game was another example of why

Reply #660042 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Finally got to watch this game. Not entirely convincing by Perth in that it felt like NZ were noticeably down on the first 2 times we played them, but I'll take it.
Angus is still the concern for me in this matchup. Offensively he struggles when guarded by Pledger, settling for low-percentage shots. That puts a lot of reliance on creating from the perimeter to get our points, but we were able to get that done in this one.
Big win for Perth to claw closer to that #1 spot

Reply #660071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Major props to Waxy, I didn't know he had this level of play in him.

Covering for Knight very, very nicely

Reply #660072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ might need to use their 3rd import option. Low is terrible and they need to look to get a scorer off the bench.

Perth at their defensive best are the best team in the league. Playoffs wildcats version has been on display in the last two crushing wins. Smashed the United and the Breakers by a combined 50 points and a 25 wining margin on the road.

Reply #660077 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

I wonder if Brandt is still unwell?
But yes, even when healthy he struggles against Pledger.
And that's a concern, because I still think NZ are the team to beat if you want a 3peat.

Still think they need to look for somebody different to Cooke.

Reply #660148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Brandt may be used to being bigger and stronger than his opposition. He can't effectively back down Pledger, and seems to get stuck throwing up his hook out of position. Ideally, he should have a couple of other options on the post, to go around or step back from a stronger defender. Presumably he will have the same issue internationally.

I thought Loe was a bit unlucky to foul out.

I liked Tokoto's jump shooting in this game. Good job creating space, and picking openings.

Reply #660152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754