SteveK2
Years ago

Sydney @ Cairns , Dec 2 - 5:30pm AEDT

Two depleted teams in an important battle to keep their season alive. Ugly ball grindfest heads up... Cairns natural style & Sydney's terrible bench depth will ensure a walking pace halfcourt battle similar to the last 3 minutes of their previous meeting where neither team scored a single point.

Perry Ellis will miss 1-2 weeks subject to further scans early next week. Blanchfield is good to return next game but without both these guys, Sydney will have to rely on their DPs to make up the numbers for this game. An important opportunity for Sam Daly to show his potential.

Scoochie will have to step up offensively in this game as Randle is likely to be more aggressive after 2 somewhat 'quiet' games.

Topic #42297 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully tommy gets more time, Jurlina also made the trip, very efficient 2/3 that can help in the 4.. Should be a good contest and Cairns are favourites but Kings could surprise if Cadee, Tommy, Randle, Tyler play as they did last Thursday.

Reply #660041 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Indications are Tommy will start for this game, not like they have much options TBH.

Reply #660044 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns at home are tough to beat no matter who is playing. They should win

Reply #660049 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Guaranteed this game is going overs

Reply #660052 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perry Ellis surprisingly going to play...

Reply #660054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH - not on the boxscore.

Reply #660055 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh, my bad - he traveled with the team, but isn't playing.

Reply #660056 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gaze throwing 3 rookies in during the 1st Q, 2 of whom have barely played for weeks, is such a Gaze thing to do.

Reply #660058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Cairns win this.

Reply #660059 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Tommy's jumper from the FT line feels like the first time we've actually attacked a zone correctly all season.

Reply #660061 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cadee ignores Newley posting up down low, instead waits for him to come get it near the 3pt line to post up and try and back his way down from there... frustrating.

Reply #660063 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Cairns uniform is terrible. Worst I've seen in nbl

Reply #660064 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Aaron Feane's ultimate fantasy - nobody scoring

Reply #660065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle has been garbage besides the Illawarra game

Reply #660067 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure why the commentary team thinks Tyler has 10 points and 5 rebounds? 5 points and 4 rebounds is his actual tally, weird. They flashed it up no the screen earlier too when they showed the leading scorers.

Reply #660068 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually the Taipans blue uniform is even worse than this black one. The blue one is the worst I've ever seen in the NBL.

Reply #660070 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

When's the last time Loughton has ever driven from the 3pt line straight to the bucket I wonder.

Reply #660073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler putting on a show!

Reply #660074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Cairns uniform is terrible. Worst I've seen in nbl'

I dunno, from some angles it looks pretty badass

Reply #660075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Newley ever a good outside shooter overseas?

I feel like every three he'll put up is gonna brick

Reply #660076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler finally on a roll. Subs out for no reason as mentioned by heal. Nek minnit, 9-0 run

Reply #660078 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm guessing Thoseby must never miss in practice or something, because I'm not sure how else he still keeps getting subbed in.

Reply #660081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had no idea Fearne played in the NBL, lol

Reply #660082 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thoseby a -12 on the court now, next worst is Humphries at -6.

Reply #660083 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Dem black uniforms are horrible. Not dissing them if they're for a good cause or similar, but nobody obviously thought it through having black numbering on a black main.

Reply #660085 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wow. That's a bad call at any stage of any game. Forget about the situation.

Reply #660086 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tyler's a punk he should be fined for that.

Reply #660087 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Surely if you have any feel the game / sport in general you let play go on and just give Garlep a shout out on the run to cut the crap

Reply #660088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking, absolute rubbish refereeing.

Reply #660089 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yep simply one of the worst officiating of the season, if not the worst. Scott Beker is doing a poor job leading his team and James Boyer needs to be disciplined for the multiple terrible calls.

Its already an ugly low scoring game to watch and the refs need to understand that they need to temper the calls to make sure that they don't affect the outcome of the game. That cannot be said for this game, their calls are determining quite clearly who wins the game and that's as bad as it gets.

Reply #660090 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Make up call.

Reply #660091 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

Refs wanting to be centre of attention. Please nbl tell them it's not. Commonsense.

Reply #660092 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Might've been a snappy comeback by the ref to Tyler re: the 20 years comment if he wasn't still awful at his job.

Reply #660093 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The biggest difference between the old regime during the golden era and this current one led by Butler is the lack of understanding by these shite refs on how to balance calling infractions and adding value to the competitive environment, i.e. no feel for the game.

Absolutely zero feel. You may spot a foul, you'd be right to call it, but do you have to call it or let it go? How will it impact the flow of the game? How will it impact the outcome of the game? Is it a make-up call because you misjudged the impact of your last call or you badly missed one that you should've made that everyone else in the building saw? Any of these things even flashes across these refs' minds? Highly doubt it.

Definitely the current everlasting scourge of our National Bush League.

Reply #660094 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Having watched the clip a few times now, it was Bekker who actually prompted the talk with Tyler, who never called him a "cheat", but implied homecourt favouritism. As a referee you either tech Tyler for his first comment, or keep your mouth shut.

Reply #660095 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Anyways, you should be happy with how Tyler turned out AngusH. He's becoming more and more impressive with how he plays and controls his emotion. I think I had one eyebrow raised for most of the game waiting for the meltdown that didn't happen.

Even Gaze was calling the right things at the right time. I was flabbergasted for most of the game, looking at things that should be done, was actually being carried out for a change!

Reply #660098 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah Tyler looked good. I think the "avoid foul at all cost" style of defense he's playing is going to hurt us, but the shot blocks and work on the other end should end up as a net positive.

As bad as I thought the refs were, the real reason why we lost the game was down to Gaze's rotations again IMO. Cairns couldn't buy a basket early and instead of putting our foot on their throats Gaze starts throwing in youngsters.

Thoseby was also a -12 in his 10 mins on the court and was being targeted as much as Singh does when he's on the court. He's just not ready, don't throw him out there, especially when we can't afford a single loss at this stage.

Oh well. At this point I think a poor win/loss record is a positive because it will force big changes to happen. At least Tyler will give us some highlights.

Reply #660101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did Tyler actually say about the ref that triggered the "hey I've been reffing for 20 years" comment? I didn't hear it on the broadcast.

Also, hopefully all the Garlepp lovers who complained that he wasn't seeing minutes can now see why it wasn't a big deal at all - he's not very good.

Reply #660104 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He said "Hey, it's a home game for them ... " which is what triggered the cheat comment from the ref.

Reply #660105 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh, and the 20 years comment was Tyler saying he's been playing overseas for 9 years, so he knows what's going on.

Reply #660106 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

His rotation wasn't perfect but I thought it was pretty good considering his track record, early foul trouble for Tommy and Newley playing absolutely shitehouse tonight.

There wasn't much he could've done to 'step on the throat' when Tyler's the only that fired all night long. There was no one else to spell the starters and preserve their foul counts. Just one of either Newley or Cadee had to step up early offensively to backup Tyler and Randle. Cadee got a free pass from me since he did a decent job on Gliddon, its Newls that was atrocious.

Thoseby is pretty much done IMO. He's recruited for his perimeter and scoring prowess but he hasn't adjusted his game upwards to NBL standard. It'd be a toss-up between him and Singh to get the axe when Lisch comes back.

Reply #660108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very impressed by the Kings rookie whose dad played for the Tigers but name I didn't recognise

Reply #660113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His name I think was Pineau, did ok today but been very average so far.

Reply #660116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yes the refs. Nothing will ever change.
Garlepp was great the other night and anyone that didn't see that game should STFU.
SteveK2 do you ever say "anyways" IRL?
JVG can now use the "we were undermanned excuse" of course. Sad, sad days for the once great Kings.

Reply #660117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoseby is out when Lisch returns. Done deal.

Reply #660120 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

The black uniforms are something we do every season in aid of the IFYS Foster Care organisation, and black is their base colour for their logos etc. They were auctioned off after the game, all were sold (even ones for players that weren't playing - Jawai, Carrera, Weigh). I think the highest price was just under $2K.

You may not like them, but IFYS sure can use the money.

"Even Superman was brought up by Foster Parents"

http://www.fostercare.com.au/AboutUs/FosterCareNorthQueensland-420/

Reply #660122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why dont Cairns just wear grey uniforms at home? The refs do and they're all on the same team anyway.

Reply #660124 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

(And they are a bugger to photograph, too :) )

Reply #660126 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Didn't watch but going by the stats randle getting 38minutes and getting 1assist suggests he’s not making the team any better than they were before, just moving the point distribution to him.

Reply #660127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - lol you Big sook. Go cry to your Mumma cause no one cares

Reply #660133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's just be honest here - Snakes missing 3 key players n played 2 q’s Of shit. Kings missing Perry and Blanchfield (no loss on current form) choked behind MIA Newly/cadee/ Tyler Handles did their best but Randle just hogged the ball and stats padded when he had open players ala last year. Tyler is under done and faded due to bad subs - but without support kings won’t get more then 8 wins max

Full snakes squad n they will shake the top4 again - but they won’t get credit as usual like every year: he’ll they finished 2nd n it was cause other teams choked.

Reply #660134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze can't coach. Full stop. His weird substitution patterns, his inability to make adjustments, his primitive offensive system that can’t attack a zone are all issues, but the biggest thing that’s clear as day is that none of these players have any faith in him. Once the Taipans got the lead, you could see the lack of confidence from the playing group in Gaze and what he was saying. There’s zero belief there. Look a5 Newley. He obviously has no confidence in Gaze as a coach. It’s a disastrous situation engineered by Van WrongAgain. They won’t get to double figure wins, even when they get their injured guys back.

Reply #660135 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Its already an ugly low scoring game to watch and the refs need to understand that they need to temper the calls to make sure that they don't affect the outcome of the game.
Refusing to call something because it's late in a close game affects the outcome of the game. The ref's calls didn't affect the outcome of the game, Garlepp and Randle did.

Reply #660137 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

The refs were dreadful all over the court tonight. They did not affect the outcome of the game, that was down to some good execution by the Taipans, and Randle deciding he was the only Kings player likely to score (possibly not wrong).

Possibly, the Kings players have lost faith in Gaze. Definitely, Gaze has no faith in his players. His panicked timeouts every time Cairns made a run show he doesn't believe his guys can geff thd job done. Fearne, on the other hand, sits back, knowing his guys understsnd his system, and trusting them to right the ship.

Good win by ghe Snakes, tonight.

Reply #660140 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Clearly, I'm struggling to type "the" tonight.
Sorry, should have spell checked before posting.
;D

Reply #660141 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Refusing to call something because it's late in a close game affects the outcome of the game. The ref's calls didn't affect the outcome of the game, Garlepp and Randle did.

I don't have your patience nor desire to go through the whole replay, cut clips and analyse every call or missed calls to explain my argument.

I think you're astute enough to know that narrowing the context makes yours appears reasonable but quite misleading.

I didn't refer to any specific call or calls. What made you think that I specifically implied both Garlepp's and Randle's shouldn't be called? Better mitigation of earlier imperfections and inaccuracies would have made those calls irrelevant to the outcome of the game.

Reply #660144 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

A little birdy told me that someone cut and pasted my comments into their facebook comments... stop it mr. J! That's plagiarism!

Reply #660145 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Anyone know what Toni Caldwell was doing on the stats bench tonight? Training the new refs? Hope she had a lot of space in her notebook...

Reply #660147 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I didn't refer to any specific call or calls. What made you think that I specifically implied both Garlepp's and Randle's shouldn't be called?
"The refs need to avoid making calls that affect the result of the game" is almost universally code for "no technicals or USFs should be called in the last couple of minutes of a close game, and no fouls at all should be called on the last possession".

Reply #660151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caldwell was emergency referee/video referee.

Reply #660157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

/terrible referee.

Reply #660158 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Hmmm I never wrote "avoid". My argument revolves around arbitration, yours on legality. Two different things with possible different outcomes.

Reply #660162 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I was watching on delay and only made it into the 3rd quater before stopping because I had stupidly loaded the NBL app to check the ladder and I ruined the score for myself (NBL ap hiding scores as default is another annoyance for another time) but there's not much to dispute here...

Refs were awful from the start and I agree that shit calls at the start (of any game, not just this one) has an outcome of the game in general, but the real reason why the Kings lost was that key players went missing and the Kings were a complete fucking shambles from the start... Once again Newls goes missing and this time Cadee as well, as at least other times he's shown some passion for it even if his shot isn't dropping, but this game it was all just a disorganised mess of disinterest and only Tyler and Randle were worried about putting points on the board... It was like a different team to the one that was on show the first half on Thursday and I'm really at a loss... I know Perry was missing, but that shouldn't have such a terrible impact on how the team is run...

Once again Gaze is back to his old tricks... Tyler on a run and not in foul trouble (at the time) and gets subbed out... It's like Gaze had money on the Taipans covering the spread or something... It's clear (yet again) that he's lost the playing group... There's something up with Newls and every time I see Gaze pull him close to talk to him I get a really bad vibe... A shit coach, can't manage the team and needs to be given the arse, I don't care if he was the NBL goat and every piss poor performance he gets out of this team just stains his legacy...

Like Angus said above, at least such a terrible win/loss might actually force SOME sort of change, but the way this team is being run, I seriously doubt it... Gaze won't give up this big pay cheque and JvG doesn't have anyone to replace him with that will save him from losing his job as well... At least my bet on the Kings to get the most losses is still alive with BrisVegas winning...

Reply #660219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage of the season, is there any point in getting rid of Gaze? Not like there's anyone on his coaching staff that would work even as an interim replacement. No, you let him continue for the rest of the season, then do a proper coaching search (not just pay lip service to one) to come up with someone who has runs on the board, great experience and a detailed plan for rebuilding this shambles of a team.

Oh, and when Gaze goes, JVG goes too.

Reply #660220 | Report this post

Dark Mavis  
Years ago

Give this squad to Shawn Dennis or any other NBL coach and they make play offs.

Just run high ball screen with Randle and Tyler / Elis. Plant News and Blanch in the corners for the kick out.

Run zone D to protect Tyler

simples

Reply #660221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings find another way to lose.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/cairns-taipans-get-home-late-against-sydney-kings-in-nbl-20171202-gzxi1u.html

Reply #660222 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , Wookie . Gaze tried to pull Newley close to talk , but Newley said ; ' I don't care.' and walked away...
He is beginning to show signs of a man who does not care..

Reply #660223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley and Blanchfield in the corners ain't scaring anyone, both have been shooting threes but not many going in.

Reply #660224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes , Wookie . Gaze tried to pull Newley close to talk , but Newley said ; ' I don't care.' and walked away...
He is beginning to show signs of a man who does not care.."

Really? What makes you think that?

Reply #660228 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , that is what he said......
The way he played reminded me of Gibsons last games here with the 36ers.. mind was somewhere else...

Reply #660230 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Camel31, I think that was sarcasm from Anon #660228.

Reply #660236 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

And that example of what Camel 31 observed between Newls and Gaze is the prime example of why a change needs to be made ASAP...

I agree with those saying that Newls isn't at his best and has passed his peak playing skills, but when focused and motivated, he's still one of the best slashers in the game... His sitting back and launching ill-advised 3s is mostly in part due to Gaze not having any proper plan which adds more onto the losing faith issue...

We've got three players contracted for next season... Lisch, Newls and Blanchfield... While losing Todd wouldn't be a huge loss (unless he comes back after that head knock with a new on court personality and skills) and you don't want to alienate the two most high profile and also put off the other key players we want to retain (I still think Cadee is worthwhile when used properly and he puts the effort in) as well as not wanting to look like a fucking nutbag organisation, which we do, AGAIN, with the aim of recruiting future players...

Reply #660246 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well I heard there's an option with Randle, not sure if its team or player. Pineau signed for 2 IIRC? But doesn't look like there is much quality to retain for 3rd year under new regime, unless multiple imports return. The way its set up looks like a revolving door.

Reply #660261 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Randle & Pineau both have an option for next season.

Reply #660262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team or player zodiac?

Reply #660263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team I believe.

Reply #660264 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

The way its set up looks like a revolving door.

So basically the same as the last fuckers in charge... The only thing probably worse with these ones is that they had Lisch and Newls locked in for 3 years and they've squandered their chances this season to build a solid core around them on teh ground work of last season, which they sort of got a bit of a pass one, starting again and all...

BAH! Frustrating AF!

Reply #660271 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Whatever the excuses are, JVG's philosophy of waiting to pounce on bargain talent hasn't really worked too well. Maybe he drives a hard bargain, who knows? From the sounds of it, he has a pretty big shopping list every season but its never smooth sailing getting the right players.

Sure last season was going to be challenging taking over a new club, but there was still plenty of time last season to find a replacement for Mirko Djeric. Who did they settle on? Dion Prewster? And that took a few games into the season to finalise.

Onto the Newls thing...

Gaze tried to pull Newley close to talk , but Newley said ; ' I don't care.' and walked away...
He is beginning to show signs of a man who does not care..

Had a chat with someone with the inside on that. According to that person, Newls' "I don't care" comment caught on mic was about him not caring if he's taken out of the offense or used as decoy as he's being targetted by Fearne's defense. All is good in the kumbaya circle I suppose...

Reply #660306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch past it. Cadee if he's lucky off the bench. Blanchfield over rated. Newls has the passion with a declining game.

Reply #660337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on how long Ellis is out for?

Reply #660427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754