Wayne Nort
Years ago

Save Knox Basketball Stadium in Boronia Vic

Save Knox Basketball Stadium in Boronia in Victoria

https://www.change.org/p/knox-city-council-let-knox-city-council-know-we-want-to-keep-knox-basketball-stadium-and-not-move-to-state

The Knox Basketball Stadium in Boronia will be shut down and its funding redirected to extend the State Basketball Centre in Wantirna South.

While this sounds ok, Mayor Darren Pearce said it was unlikely there would be any changes to the State Basketball Centre within the next three to five years.

Knox Basketball Stadium in Boronia has been the much loved stadium since 1975. It was given to the council at that time by the land owners and was stipulated that it is to be used as a sports precinct.

So what will happen to accommodating 16 local basketball clubs and BIG V in this time?

Plus it's closer venue for our remote clubs located in our Dandenong Ranges region. It would be sad to see these remote clubs that are already struggling to retain healthy playing numbers collapse.

The Boronia stadium is home to games played by All Stars, Belgrave Red Devils, Boronia Buffaloes, Chandler Park Jets, Emerald Lakers, Ferntree Gully Falcons, Knox Cougars, KSC Phoenix, Mountain Tigers, Rangers, Saints, South East Eagles Southern Bears, Basin Wildcats, Wantirna Jetbacks, Wantirna Wasps as well as the Big V Championship series.

Let Knox council, KBI, and your local member know that we need to keep Knox Stadium at Boronia

Topic #42309 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Signed.

Reply #660420 | Report this post

Qean  
Years ago

Done

Reply #660422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, losing a stadium is not what we want to happen anywhere --- we need PLENTY more courts, not less.

However, Boronia is a money pit. Just to keep Boronia operational it is costing close to $1,000,000 a year in maintenance costs alone and I have heard its around $6,000,000 fix the issues that cause the annual maintenance costs.

It makes no sense to throw good money after bad on Boronia, I am not sure what it would cost to knock down and rebuild Boronia but this would the ideal option. If that's not feasible building more courts at the State Centre is the next best option which is already in the works.

If there wasn't a problem with Boronia they wouldn't get rid of it. There's major problems there, the council is committed to replacing the courts --- short term pain, long term gain.

Reply #660425 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

if the community demand is there for both keeping boronia running and extending state basketball centre - find some political backing and bring this to the fore. It's about our communities having adequate facilities.

Reply #660429 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I play at Knox - Boronia weekly and the stadium does need to go.
It's in a great area with plenty of activity and sad to see it go but it's built on shifting flood plain land and has run it's course.

They need to find an alternative site - with that being all the vacant land around the State Centre.

Reply #660449 | Report this post

Wayne Nort  
Years ago

Apart from periodical maintenance, such as upkeep of the Boronia Basketball court surfaces and general painting - Which happens at every basketball venue, there really hasn't been any other major maintenance spend. So I would think the $1 million in maintenance is a figure plucked from the sky as well as the 6 million figure.

Maintenance has been neglected (stopped) at the Boronia stadium since the opening of State Basketball Centre. Operating out of Boronia was profitable for Knox Basketball Association before the introduction of State Basketball Centre. And Knox Association has been running at a loss ever since. As grand as the State Basketball Centre is, it comes at a huge cost.

If the council gets it's way and closes Boronia stadium. Then I would hope that it wouldn't be before the completion of adding at least 6 additional courts to the State Basketball Centre. Which should not be for at least another 5 years.

The reality is if the Boronia Stadium is closed earlier, then it means 6 additional courts need to be sourced and rented from schools in the local area. Which means up 50% loss of incoming revenue in court rental for Knox Basketball. And that's 7 day of the week including evenings. The association can't afford these additional losses

But the harsh reality will be the potential loss of 5 remote basketball clubs; Belgrave Red Devils, Emerald Lakers, Basin Wildcats, Mountain Tigers and Rangers. The 5 clubs are located in and near the Yarra Ranges. Most of these clubs already struggle with low player numbers. With the loss of Boronia Stadium which more local to them than State Basketball Stadium - Could mean these club/player seek out an alternate basketball association, another sport or quit.

I hope Knox Council and Knox Basketball Association have prepared for the potential issues by closing down Boronia Stadium.

After all it's about keeping kids involved in sports like basketball.

Reply #660466 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

It wouldn't be ideal not to replace Boronia with a stadium on the same site or closer. If most games were at SBC then Kilsyth or Dandenong become viable options, especially for those teams currently training at Boronia.

Upwey High School is being redeveloped and will be gaining two additional courts, but we do need more courts in general.

Reply #660640 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rumor was that the Boronia site has been earmarked for re-development (Housing).

Reply #703306 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Losing a stadium is like losing a school - they never replace it!

I know it will cost money to do some works to the place, but I have scene worse venues stay open, who is running this facility?? Council?? YMCA?? Belgravia Leisure??

Reply #703309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754