Anonymous
Years ago

NBL ranked 12th best league by ESPN

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/21691644/fran-fraschilla-ranks-world-top-basketball-leagues-nba

Fair or unfair?

I would've thought we ranked much higher..

Topic #42324 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

For standard of play I would say that's probably about right.

For standard of refereeing it's way overs.

Reply #660658 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kind of offensive. We should be 8 or 9. Fran could only think of two worse leagues?

Reply #660659 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Euroleague, Euro Cup, Spain, VTB in Russia - yes

Greece, FIBA BCL - maybe

Turkey, Italy, France, Germany, Adriatic - no

Fran's only got the NBL two spots above China's CBA, take it with a grain of salt.

Reply #660660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was based on umpire consistency and knowledge of the rules it would be last

Reply #660661 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

We are above the CBA which is not too bad considering our salary cap and the Chinese ones.

Reply #660662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN would show another player if they knew the basket case the Kings are.

Reply #660663 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A lucrative tv contract lol sure Fran

Reply #660664 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

So the Serie A is ranked #6 because half of the league is made up of imports that are rarely paid on time?

Great list.

Reply #660665 | Report this post

Feral Meister  
Years ago

Judging from his comments Fraschilla's ranking appears strongly determined by the extent to which a league contributes to NBA player development. Fraschilla ranks leagues higher if it is a training ground for future NBA talent or as a place to warehouse NBA discards. My reasoning is different - ultimately the strength of a competition reduces to the playing ability of teams in the league. So my test is - would top teams in the NBL beat top teams in the Adriatic League or Russian or Italy or France? Such matches cannot be arranged, so I figure the best indicator we have is the performance of national teams at a world/olympic championship. Australia consistently performs higher than 12th; even when we have fewer representatives in the NBA.

Reply #660667 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

So you rank the NBL against other leagues by how good Bogut, Motum, Mills, Delavadova, Maker, Baines etc would go against those other countries?

Reply #660668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of elite we are probably around the middle in terms of worst team we are up higher - due to a 8 team league in my opinion.

Reply #660670 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Firstly it is great that we get a mention. The opinions I would value on this is from players that have competed in the NBL and in leagues rated above us in this list. No1 based on competition standard but also on how you are treated and paid by the club you are playing for.

Reply #660673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll have some of what old Francisco has been smoking. He's cooked if he thinks that any team from leagues 5 places above the NBL could manufacture a team that loses to OKC at the buzzer. He's literally looked at our NBA players (namely Ben Simmons) and said we are a league on the rise. How about he gets past the first few articles on google about new ownership of the NBL and actually does a little research.

Reply #660677 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

People are getting a bit bent out of shape over nothing here. Fact is there is way more than 12 national leagues in the world - way, way, way more. He is not saying the NBL is one of the worst, but one of the best.You can split hairs as to whether the NBL is better than some of the other leagues but the fact is we rarely even follow those leagues to know for sure anyway. All in all, he rates the NBL as a good league and that's a good thing.

And when it comes to Fran, he predicted Boomers would come about 9th at the Olympics last year, so his opinion can be taken with a grain of salt.

Reply #660728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to take anything seriously when written by a dude named Fran. That's a Nanny's name not a man's name.

Reply #660740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the lucrative TV deal he speaks of? That takes away his credibility about how much he knows about the league.

Reply #660747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all due respect to Fran Fraschilla, besides what he's read online, he clearly knows almost nothing about the NBL. In fact, I would be surprised if he has ever watched an NBL game.

It’s also doubtful he knows much about most of the European leagues. From the numerous holes in his article, it’s obvious he has thrown together a list with very little knowledge of most competitions.

I watch a lot of basketball... NBA, NCAA, European Basketball along with the NBL, and our competition defintely stacks up favourably with any league outside the NBA.
My opinion is that we are now definetely inside the top 8. If you discount champions leagues (Euroleague, EuroCup, FIBA BCL), and the NBA’s G-League (which he failed to mention - another hole) we are inside the top 5.

Ask a guy like David Andersen (who has played in many of the listed leagues) and he would confirm how strong the NBL is.

Bottom line... We are very fortunate to have a national league with such a high standard of competition. Get out and support it!

Reply #660752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6th best imo.

Reply #660754 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

I also very much doubt that Fraschilla has watched any or most of the leagues in question there, basically it is framed from the point of view of which produces the most NBA prospects, rather than actual quality. With that said, I think he would base his opinion on speaking to Oz NBA players (and of course from other non-US countries), Australian coaches involved in the US college scene who he meets at camps/conventions from time to time (Marty Clarke, David Patrick, John Rillie, Chris Harriman- I've heard him mention the last two)and international player agents.

Interestingly, I remember reading an article on intl basketball in the old Streets and Smith sometime back in the mid 1990s written by a certain Joel Bell. The article basically tried to poo-poo all things European at that time and he stated that Europe (there was no Euroleague at that time) may not even be a better the best basketball on offer after the NBA. Paraphrasing, he stated that Perth and Melbourne would beat 'most, if not all European clubs'. I found out much later that Bell was/is the agent for Lanard Copeland.

Reply #660770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/18470135/fran-fraschilla-rankings-world-top-12-basketball-leagues-nba

We were 10th on his list 12 months ago. Some how managed to slide down a couple of spots instead of up a couple despite the quality of the league going up the last 12 months lol.

Reply #660771 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

Anon #771, by memory Fraschilla's original article didn't include some of the composite European league (Eurocup, maybe Euroleague). It didn't change in terms of being a domestic league.

Reply #660775 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

To be honest the rankings are a bit skewed because of the addition of the European-wide and regional leagues. In a pure one-country/one-league sense, he has us ranked 8th, which is probably about right....

1. Spain
2. Turkey
3. Russia
4. Italy
5. France
6. Greece
7. Germany
8. Australia
9. Israel
10. China

Reply #660778 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL is definitely ahead of Greece these days, their league dropped away with their economy, as you would expect.

The leagues in Turkey, Italy, France and Germany are certainly no better than the NBL, trying to separate them on standard would be a bit naive because there is lots of crossover between the comps.

Even the VTB United League, which is strong at the top end but weak at the bottom, couldn't really be classified as much better than the above group.

For mine, the NBA and then Euroleague are clear on top, then Spain is slightly ahead of the next group of six or so leagues. The Greek league has dropped away quite a bit since the GFC.

Reply #660784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of Premier League???

Reply #660796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL teams would struggle to score against those strict defensive teams in europe. If I were an outsider looking in I would rank the NBL low too because what kind of a national league for a country as big as australia only has 8 teams. It's laughable along with the A league.
Also we have a guy in randle who dominates our league then goes elsewhere, fails comes back wins our MVP then goes elsewhere again and fails then comes back again to sydney and he's the leading scorer again.

Reply #660832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754