PeterJohn
Years ago

How does NBL refereeing rank internationally?

There's a lot of criticism of the NBL refereeing, as there always has been. I was wondering what people's views are of how NBl refereeing rates relative to other international leagues.

I haven't watched any international basketball leagues since the early 1990s' NBA. At that time, NBL refereeing was no better or worse than NBA, to my eye.

I have watched the Boomers' games at Olympics over the last 20 years and again, NBL refereeing didn't seem particularly better or worse than what I saw there.

But how does it compare these days with NBA, EuroBasket etc? Are there specific areas that are a problem in NBL that aren;t a problem in other leagues? If so, is that because of the refs or the gudelines they work to in the NBL? Are there areas where NBL does better than other leagues?

Topic #42327 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ranked first in the world compared to other leagues.

*rankings done by Vaughan Mayberry.

Reply #660772 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

^^^^

Lel

Reply #660788 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Thats referee of the year Vaughan Mayberry to you.

Reply #660790 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

176th in the world.

Below Guatemala but superior to Burkina Faso.

Reply #660791 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I think the words NBL refereeing and rank are mutually descriptive.

Reply #660792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well no one was happy with the 3 asian referees for the world cup game against Japan nor the Olympic bronze against Spain so really who cares what the punters think. The refs are always 50% wrong in someones eyes

Reply #660799 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Every game, people complain about the standard of refereeing in the NBL. Me included. In all honesty, I think most of the calls I complain about, I'm wrong about.

It's an extremely difficult job. The refs go all game. They make mistakes. So do the players.

It almost never happens that a referee, or referees, have more of an influence on a game than players and coaches. Certainly not enough so as to change an outcome.

I think the standard of refereeing here is probably pretty close to as good as it is anywhere. This is not to say it's amazingly good, more that I don't expect there are many leagues that offer a better standard.

The NBL should be spending money on referee training and recruitment. If we could afford more full time refs, the standard would improve, especially if a panel and some accountability were put in place as part of a package.

Reply #660806 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

NBL refereeing doesn't need to rank (verb form).
NBL refereeing is rank (adjective).

Reply #660815 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

thanks Freethrows, for the considered answer to my questions.

I agree on the difficulty of the job. I think basketball is one of the more difficult court games to referee, due to the range of factors that affect whether a contact foul has occurred, what it was and who is guilty. Having reffed other games but not basketball, my sense is that contact penalties usually have fewer determinants in those other games and so are easier to call consistently.

Reply #661014 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Lets get Crouch and Mildenhall back!

Reply #661092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754