DJ75
Years ago

3 and Key in Junior Ball?

So I've noticed in Junior district circles a few coaches preaching an offensive system that completely removes mid range jump shots. The coaches are strictly instructing players to shoot only 3 pointers or from within the key.
I know this is the direction the NBA has gone over the past 24 months or so, but is this a good thing to be teaching and developing young players?

I'm genuinely asking the question - not a criticism of the coaches on my behalf as they know a lot more than I do.

Wondering what everyone thinks? Good for development?

Topic #42331 | Report this topic

Chewie  
Years ago

Reply #660836 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Pretty common for this in u18. Starting to see more of it in u16 when zones are legal, but This should depend on the squad. There is an absolute emphasis on the 3 ball now and it's not going away anytime soon. I'm not so sure about the instruction not to shoot the mid range, but I'd think this would be a different story at each club. Shot % and heat maps are on the increase though even at younger jnr lvls.

Reply #660839 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

C R I N G E

A good player should be able to score from all areas. I must admit one of my favourite moves is a pick and roll at the top of the arc. Gives the ball carrier the option of a little jump shot, or if the second player cuts back to the key and is not pestered, give them the opportunity to receive a pass and either layup, or a little jumper if the defence collapses.

Reply #660840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it depends on the age group and perimeter shooting proficiency of the team. Kids forcing 3s when they lack the physical strength to shoot them with good form is silly.

But by 18s, no, I'm not sure there's anything really wrong with it. Understanding what's a 'good shot' and being disciplined enough to create one is a really important part of basketball, and our definition of a good shot has changed a bit since the Rockets started re-writing the rule book and then Curry threw it out altogether.

Like any coaching instruction witnessed by an outsider, it's pretty hard to evaluate what the OP is seeing, too. Is this a timeout where a coach is reminding players of their 3 and key principle? The omission of any mid-range shooting from practice sessions? Or benching any player who takes a mid-range shot? There's a big difference between incorporating it as a principle the same as any other team offensive or defensive goal, and taking away players' opportunities to read the game.

Reply #660853 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTiBvtPCOw

Reply #686957 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

The above video, the coach's mantra is like 3 love the lay up.

Reply #686960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754