Jack Toft
Years ago

Sydney v Brisbane, Dec 9

Gee no game thread on this one.....

Bottom 2 teams slug it out with a Brisbane win on the road 85 to 77.
I guess we now know who should put a nail in the wall to hang the 2017/18 wooden spoon

Topic #42332 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I believe the Kings are now 1-4 with Randle.

Reply #660837 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

How much longer till a sacking or resignation is made? Coaching or management.

Of all the games to win to get their season back on track it was this one.

Reply #660838 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just another night in the life of a Sydney Kings fan. Tyler had some highlights I guess?

Reply #660842 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I don't think there will be any sackings et al.

Player-wise they are as good as they’ll get and might make a run when Lisch returns (ETA?).

Gaze is a poor coach but they’re not going through the PR of letting him go during the season and there are no viable options in the wings. Kind of sets up an off-season for the possible return of Goorj?

Reply #660845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze looks like someone who is begging for someone to sack him to take him out of his misery

Reply #660846 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Lots of Kings fans calling for him to go though. As likeable as he is and he is a legend of the game here with a profile to match, I think a lot of fans have given up with him there and want changes made.

I dont think he will get sacked, personally. I think a more likely outcomebis that he will resign instead (or get sacked, but spun like a resignation)

Reply #660849 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Season is a lost cause at this point, but I hope Gaze walks away to spare himself the misery of the rest of this season.

Was Pineau injured? Has his first solid outing in Cairns, and then picks up a DNP?

Reply #660850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze should do the right and most sensible thing and resign ASAP. It will spare the Kings fans more frustrations and prevent his mate JVG from doing it.

This was a terrible business model from the start. To think hiring the greatest nbl player would bring sponsors to the club via their PR machine and hope players would flock to the team to be coached by gaze
was a huge mistake by jvg.

Instead we've witness a very good example of being a great player. doesn't automatically mean you will be a great coach.

Gaze right from the start was way out of his depth particularly not having any professional coaching experience. And..that was very evident when his offense was a 30 year old system his dad used in a different basketball era.

This also shows jvg ego was too big for him to realize
winning in sydney takes more than shifting his beloved Mel Tigers across the nsw border!!

He too is to blame for the horrible season last year and the current position of being wooden spooners, possibly 2 years in a row.

I sat next to a ex kings players at todays game and he said the jvg is a disgrace and should step down as the GM tonight!

Reply #660878 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Matty Neilson? Done a decent stint as assistant here in Perth. Could be good for the Kings.

Reply #660879 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Randle played all 40minutes. Gaze is so desperate it's almost not funny anymore.

Reply #660890 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Tyler was down with a leg problem right at the end. Does anyone know what the issue was or is?

Reply #660944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler had a cramp.

Reply #660948 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

My give up... I had stuff to do around the house on Saturday, so I didn't bother going out, even though I'd pre-booked parking... Last time I throw money away on this team... The level of crapness is infecting most of the team and even though Lisch is likely back next round, it will be too little, too late...

Seems like everyone has given up and there's very little passion left in the team... At least Tyler was out there showing some passion and effort, but the rest of the team needs to take a long hard look at themselves... The situation this season has rotted the playing group and it's even more evident that Gaze needs to go before the club folds in on itself... Stop the rot from the top and take JvG with him...

Matty Neilson? Done a decent stint as assistant here in Perth. Could be good for the Kings.

If they were going with a profile over head coaching experience option to start with, Matty SHOULD have been the first choice... At least he's been an assistant in a top level program for years, has done work over with the Spurs as well and is a SYDNEY icon, not a Melbourne one... Gaze got people talking about the team again, which is great, but so many of us were worried that it was style over substance from Day One, and it was... He got a pass coming into his first season, but that was it... he got given a top shelf team to work with and still managed to fuck it up with a 2nd last finish...

This season he had a chance for more input into the team, but either he bent over for JvG or was complicit in the plan and look where it's gotten us... What was Moose's record before he got "moved into management" for Hammer?

Throw some cash at Matty to get him to come home, guaranteed next season deal as well and give the team some revitalisation and chance at building a proper team next year as this one is a complete write off...

Reply #661126 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Me , I watched it expecting gaze to take tyler off , like he did last saturday , but he left tyler on a little longer this game.....

Reply #661158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Gaze under contract till end next season, wonder if matt Nielson would be tempted to work with Gaze for a season then take over top job. Nielson always looks like he's coaching from the bench and being under Gleeson would have taught him a lot.

Reply #661167 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Contracts aren't worth crap in the NBL and I doubt the Kings would force Gaze to stay and vice versa... Coaches have been sacked mid-contract no problem and I doubt Matty would schlep over to this side of the country from what is no doubt a great set up over there to only be an assistant still and behind Gaze at that...

Reply #661178 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I found it slightly amusing to hear both Gaze and Randle implying that the team was well-prepared but its the players that were found wanting.

Most people familiar with coaching, could have told you from the last few games what Lemanis was running. Perimeter denial on D & grinding systematic halfcourt with emphasis on offensive rebounding. What did he run mostly in this game? The very same thing.

Its very hard for the players to play great D for 20+ sec then couldn't grab the defensive rebound and start again for another 10 sec for most of the game. Its no wonder that they ran out of gas in the 4th as they often do.

You can blame players for being lazy and gutless for not boxing out. Or is it maybe your defensive sets stink so much that they can easily rotate out your rebounding bigs? What about match-ups? Blind Freddy can see that having Randle, Cadee & Thoseby on the floor at the same time means you're going to get murdered on the boards?

Garlepp, Pineau & Singh would've done a lot better on that department than Thoseby. Stop finding excuses, the strategy was bad that game. Thoroughly out-coached by Lemanis.

Reply #661179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah from what I heard a couple of years ago (guessing its probably still the same now) Nielson and his family are really happy finally all being back in Perth together. I don't see him looking to relocate any time soon. He has a good gig in Perth atm learning as an assistant and will probably take over from Gleeson in a couple of years.

Reply #661180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754