Zodiac
Years ago

Michael Carrera released by Taipans

Breaking news by John Casey during the game.

Topic #42373 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true not surprised, Evans has been great and probably half the price.

Reply #661663 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I'd say 1/3 of the price

Reply #661671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And less of a headcase.

Reply #661676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of Cairns fans will be pleased that they don't have to continue to defend his dirty play.

Reply #661680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A lot of Cairns fans will be pleased that they don't have to continue to defend his dirty play."

All four of Cairns fans*

Reply #661692 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Michael Carrera heading home
The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans announce that import forward Michael Carrera and the Club have chosen to part ways, in a mutual and amicable agreement with the player and his management.

Carrera has experienced a challenged campaign while in the Far North - facing two significant injuries and as a result has only been able to suit up five times.

His NBL debut was delayed after injuring his right knee during a pre-season game against the Perth Wildcats, and was ruled out for six weeks prior to season tip-off to have surgery.

He went on to light up the NBL with his competitive nature and offensive abilities in his five outings, before unfortunately succumbing to another injury in early November – hurting his ankle against Melbourne United.

Despite helping him through a comprehensive rehabilitation program, it was recently diagnosed by medical staff that his ankle is not responding to treatment as quickly as expected – and it is unlikely that Carrera could suit up before the end of the current season.

It was decided by both the player, the agent and the Club – that in order for both the team and Carrera to progress forward, it would be best to part ways at this point of the year.

Carrera said after spending many frustrating weeks on the sidelines, he is looking forward to arriving back in Venezuela to be with his family over Christmas.

"It's been tough, not being able to play and just watching on from the bench. It was really bad news when I found out I wasn’t progressing faster with my recovery and when take a hit like that – you need to be with your family," said Carrera.

“I feel like the team are in a really good place and I don’t want to potentially come in late, and disrupt their on-court chemistry. I love my team mates and want them to be able to go all the way.”

Taipans CEO Mark Beecroft said this was a disappointing turn of events, but the best long-term decision for both the team and the player.

“We have parted ways totally amicable – we’re very fond of Mike as a player and as a person, but unfortunately this is the nature of professional sports. We need to remain competitive and Mike would be the first to agree,” said Taipans CEO Mark Beecroft.

“The silver lining here is that he’ll get be with his family for the holidays after an extended time overseas, and we know he’ll be tracking how the Taipans progress for the remainder of the season.”

Reply #661701 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

BS they "mutually agreed to part ways".

If Carrera was out for the season (or even several more weeks), the Taipans released him and rightfully so. Carrera of course would have preferred to remain, continue to get paid, and perhaps join the team late/post-season. There's no need for spin!

Reply #661716 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@PlaymakerMo No shit, however its a respect thing done by clubs so it doesn't look bad on his future résumé.

Reply #661726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought most players have injury insurance - so he would be paid out his contract

Reply #661731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I called it. Kind of. Cairns are better without him.

Reply #661739 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

"He went on to light up the NBL..." haha ok, if you say so. He was average at best.

Reply #661744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens in these instances in regards to pay? Is there a minimum amount of his contract he is owed? The full contract? None? Is it different to any player?

Reply #661750 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As it's halfway through the season his contract would've already been fully guaranteed so either the Taipans would be paying him or possibly insurance?

If insurance aren't paying it I can't see the point of formally releasing him.

Reply #661751 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Benno, I understand that's the reason, but how would it look bad and who are they fooling? Carrera's future employers would surely do their due diligence and determine he was released because of injury.

It's not like this was a Ronald Roberts-situation, which could easily look bad on his resume.

Reply #661755 | Report this post

Danny Green  
Years ago

Some in the media loved his fiery nature, but he was only an average player at this level.

Reply #661759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Average player who is hot-headed and majorly overrated

Reply #661761 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

HE barely got on court so not sure how he was overrated. Hard to tell what he could have been

Reply #661766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Workers comp would be the only coverage. There used to be players insurance by the NBL but that went a long time ago.

Reply #661773 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Looks like the Cairns Post will run a story tomorrow about a training blow up between Fearne and Carrera which supposedly led to his sacking

Reply #662181 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm surprised it took as long as it did to happen.

Reply #662184 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

"Nothing to see here, all rumours" according to the club. There's a surprise

Reply #662195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half the stuff Gerrans writes about in the Cairns Post is made up by him so I wouldn't put much weight on what he writes

Reply #662220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Four Cairns fans witnessed the incident so obviously it was members day.

Reply #662222 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/import-michael-carrera-out-the-door-after-clash/news-story/5a61663940b09a2b7028af592eb60d1e

A HEATED argument between Taipans coach Aaron Fearne and sacked import Michael Carrera is believed to be the real reason behind the forward's departure from the club.

The club last week declared Carrera’s ankle injury as the cause for the two parting ways half way through the NBL season.

But, multiple sources have confirmed the pair were involved in a heated verbal altercation last week, which eventually led to Carrera’s sacking from the club.

During a training session early last week at the Fish Tank, Carrera and Fearne were arguing on court before the Venezuelan import exited practice and returned to the players locker room, where the heated exchange later continued. The fiery clash did not turn physical.

A Taipans spokesperson yesterday said Carrera left the club on amicable terms and any claims to the contrary were just rumours.

"Carrera’s injury status and timing determined his departure, and there is no bad blood between Mike, the club and his management," the spokesperson said.

“The club remains in contact with Mike, and he spoke with the players and coaches as recently as the weekend.”

Despite the club claiming Carrera’s ankle injury is season ending, he posted a video to his Instagram account yesterday of him running with no concerns.

It was not the first time the import forward had clashed with coaching staff as it is understood Carrera and Fearne had a serious verbal altercation following a game against Illawarra at the NBL Blitz.

Carrera was also seen in a heated discussion with another member of the coaching staff during a game against Perth in the preseason.

Carrera, dubbed the Venezuelan Volcano, led the team in scoring across his five NBL games but in the four games Carrera completed, the Snakes only claimed one victory.

The athletic forward was handed a two-match ban by the NBL’s Game Review Panel following his debut game against Perth, which was later downgraded to a $750 fine.

The Venezuelan was also ejected from a preseason game against Perth.

NBL legend Derek Rucker called for the Taipans to sack Carrera earlier this season.

“They can replace him with another player who’s less of a headache,” Rucker said.

The emerging Jerry Evans Jr, who is already with the Taipans as an injury replacement for Carrera, will finish the season as the Snakes’ third import.

Carrera and his management were approached for comment.

Reply #662243 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

During a training session early last week at the Fish Tank, Carrera and Fearne were arguing on court...

So was Carrera on court actually training, or is he injured?

Reply #662247 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Sounds like it Snooch.

I get the clubs offical line, obviously there's a certain way an employer should act in situations like this (especially if there was a payout deal or something like that). Taipans, in my experience, have always erred on the side of professionalism in situations like this.

Gerrans also has a job to do as a reporter, and I think he does it pretty well. Obviously if I was a member of the Taipans management I might have a different opinion - but that’s the age old interplay between the professional sporting org and the journalist. Journos always want more access, clubs always want more positive stories;)

nothing would surprise me about Carrera. If the headline was 'Carrera sacked after police found a hostage down a well, who was forced to rub the lotion on his skin or he’d get the hose again’ I wouldn’t raise an eyebrow. I was hoping he could focus that intensity..... because he has so much potential.

I knew there was trouble when at first home game after his last ankles, he wasn’t engaged like he was previously, and just sat there with his headphones in. He’d carried a clipboard to games earlier - you don’t carry a clipboard if you don’t mean business.

The most disappointing this is he didn’t get that game IN Perth, now that could have been something.... carrera in the car park swinging his elbows with beserker fury as 40,000 red army fans descend on him, seeking vengeance.

Reply #662300 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Taipans coach Aaron Fearne was given the opportunity to respond to reports about Michael Carrera's sacking before training yesterday.

"No ... we good," he said.

Well, that's that then..

Reply #662419 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

So if Carrera had to pay a $750 fine, doesn't that mean he's down $250?

Reply #662420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754