Anonymous
Years ago

Damian Martin out a few weeks

Just heard on Perth news he's out until after the new year with an ankle. All I have

Topic #42374 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for giving it your all, its all we can ask from you.

Reply #661695 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

Uh oh

Reply #661698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36187-damian-martin-ruled-out

Reply #661700 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

no complaints from all 4 of us cairns fans.

Reply #661705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prob suffered minor drowning due to all the perth fans on this forum salivating over Wildcats these season

Reply #661706 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

And so it begins...

I was actually thinking of a post along the lines that things were going so well I was getting nervous.
And that with Matty Knight out of the picture the onus for a season-derailing injury fell completely on Martin.
:-(

Reply #661709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luckily we'll be able to cope a bit better with the annual Martin injury with Cotton in the side. Will be good to hopefully see Bragg get some minutes.

Reply #661710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My man mason bragg senior

Reply #661712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good* things happen when Bragg gets meaningful court time

*for the opposing team

Reply #661715 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Having Damo out really hurts the Cats but seeing Steindl play a little more will be interesting.

Reply #661721 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see if Tokoto plays more at the point

Reply #661723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay safe and make sure he's right for the finals, seems like a sensible move

Reply #661724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'no complaints from all 4 of us cairns fans.'

Is this gonna become a forum meme

Reply #661728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is Jarrod Kenny's time to shine.

Reply #661730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny is one of the better backups in the league. And hey also have Cotton to play back up back up 1

Reply #661748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny is mediocre and will be exposed in the coming weeks. Perth will need to minimise his court time. Having Tokoto able to play point forward just became very valuable.

Reply #661752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's performed just fine when carrying the starting duties on previous occasions.

Reply #661757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they let Dexter play some minutes at the point. He was doing it during the preseason and was troubling for the opposition.

Reply #661762 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I would still start Kenny but wouldn't give him more than 20 mins max.
Cotton can play point and that gives more minutes to Steindl and DKD.
Tokoto as point forward could work too.

Reply #661765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a feeling they'll start Hire at SG and Cotton at PG. Hate the idea of it, but from memory they did that a couple of times last year when Damo was out.

Reply #661770 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I also remember Corban Wroe starting some games last year...yikes.
Looking forward to seeing Bragg get an opportunity.

Reply #661774 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Wroe only started when Martin and Kenny were both out injured at the same time.

Reply #661775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'no complaints from all 4 of us cairns fans.'

Not that funny if true?

Reply #661779 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Back against Melbourne

Reply #661784 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nah, if you go back two seasons, Our Bench was Kenny, Hire, Redhage, Wagstaff, and Jervis. So yeah, Hire spent time at the 2.
No need for that with DKD, Steindl, and Bragg.

Kenny is actually a brilliant backup for Damo.
Cotton already carries the ball at times, that's the way Trev's offense works. No need to mess things up too much.

Reply #661852 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

meh, I've moaned about it for years now. Cairns has by far the best crowds in the Nbl as a % of the total market. we average about 4k for most games (about 80% venue capacity) out of a population 150k. Higher average crowds than the Bullets and woolloongong.

So yes, to drag this back on topic all 4 of us Cairns fans will be giving martin-less wildcats a fine time on new years eve.

Reply #661904 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"meh, I've moaned about it for years now. Cairns has by far the best crowds in the Nbl as a % of the total market. "

Don't cream yourself too much over that stat too much.

Cairns is a team that needs to go begging to the local fish and chip shop to afford Jerry Evans Jr. Even the Sandringham Sabres could pay his wages through general revenue.

Reply #661919 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"woolloongong."

Don't do geography or English at school in Cairns.

Reply #661928 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

FSTOS
The spelling of local Illawarra names often have no correlation to their pronunciation. Try to sound out local names phonemically from how they're spelt. No chance. If you’ve only heard the names, try to spell them with any degree of accuracy. Less than no chance. Some examples of local names:

Wollongong (pronounced locally as wool n gong)
Illawarra (pronounced locally as Ill uh war uh)
Wingecarribee (pronounced locally as whinge eh Carr u bee)
Shoalhaven (pronounced locally as shoal ay vn)
Dapto (pronounced locally as Dab doe)

I moved there from SA and needed to enrol in Illawarran as a second language classes. Now I have to contend with Tumblegum (pronounced locally as Tm Boll Gum).

Local name pronunciations are weird. You can’t blame people for not getting it right if they don’t know the local dialect.

Reply #661940 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

again, meh. the autocomplete on my POS Chinese phone says it's woolloongong so woolloongong it stays.

Reply #661962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flick Dexter KernichDrew and sign Tom Wilson, flick Cooke Jr and sign starting import centre.

Hand out retirement village brochures for Hire and Kenny. Don't bring them back.
Sign youth, college returnee for example

That is all.

Reply #663219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes you think Wilson is better than DKD, some guys reputation is better than there ability.

Reply #663221 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hire is a 3/4, maybe a bit like an older style SF, and yet has consistently been played out of position for the past few years. That should have changed with DKD and now Steindl, but neither of those is measuring up.
But yes, we need to see him lift his production, back to where it was a few years back.

Realistically, I don't see DKD staying, especially if Steindl is signed on for next season.
Every year there's young guys come back from college, but most are from lesser teams and aren't really NBL quality. Still happy for the Wildcats to keep looking and give young guys a go. The extra year allowed for DPs should help, but Australia doesn't seem to produce many guards??

Reply #663273 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Is Martin playing on NYE, or not?

From a basketball perspective, I hope so. As a Taipans fan, I hope not.

5, CT, I'm pretty sure it's 5 Taipans fans on here.

Reply #663287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl being contracted next year spells the end of DKD.
Perth's frontcourt is their downfall I just can't see them winning the title with Walker and Brandt as the starters.
NZ or Melbourne likely winners.
Perth should've moved Cooke when they had the chance.

Reply #663297 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

UP THE 'PANS

Reply #663299 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

DOWN WITH THE 'CATS

Reply #663300 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The impression I get is no, Martin won't play. It was originally said that he won't be back till next year, and he's still training away from the rest.

Front court has been doing ok, but gees, without Walker's incredible turnaround we'd be struggling. Also Brandt has fallen off the pace. Hasn't been the same since "illness" forced him out of the boomers side.
Plus need some consistency from Wagstaff.

Reply #663371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Placing your faith in Brandt isn't a good idea IMO.

Reply #663379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754