Anonymous
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike foul

It's becoming ridiculous this interpretation of the unsportsmanlike foul. Surely common sense can prevail and sports bodies can do their own ruling. In the last minute everyone knows it's going to be intentional, why the pretence? Unless someone is absolutely mugged and in danger of being hurt, why can't the refs use common sense and call it, it actually will solve the problem of fouls not being called and players being wrapped up so a foul is called. Even as an opposing coach I hate it when the call is made and it's soft.

Topic #42401 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because no one want to watch a free throw marathon

Reply #662724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, no one wants to watch a free throw marathon, how can you have different rules in the last minute to the rest of the game.

Reply #662726 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Free throw marathon? Whatever. It's a tactic that's been used since the dawn of time and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Now you're actually asking referees to make a distinction on whether a player is making a play on the ball or not? It's stupid.

Reply #662728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the games are already turning into freethrow marathons with the amount of fouls the refs are calling lol

Reply #662731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game is trying to expand to the general sporting public. The purists might understand but the discretionary punter doesnt want to watch 10 free throws in the last 2 mins taking 10 mins to finish the game.

Reply #662734 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The general punter couldn't give two hoots about how many free throws are taken.

Reply #662736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course snooch they dont care, thats why the game is as popular as AFL and NRL.

Reply #662737 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"how can you have different rules in the last minute to the rest of the game."

This is already the case e.g. fouling before the ball has been inbounded is not an USF until the final 2 mins.

Reply #662739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs fucked that game, and it was the same ref making all the calls.

You don't call an unsportsmanlike foul with 13 secs, he needs to understand the part of the game, adelaide needed to foul cause they were down 2. its a shit call.

CASE CLOSED

Reply #662741 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

And if you honestly think the NBL is going to compete with the AFL and NRL based on changing rules you're kidding yourself.

Reply #662742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#741 go read the new rules

Reply #662743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You either have a free throw "marathon" or each game where a team is up by 6 with under a minute to go is a foregone conclusion. At least intentionally fouling makes it a contest.

The only reason the fouls take so long is because of the timeouts in between. An NBA game will take 20 minutes to close out if its televised.

Reply #662750 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I missed the game last night. Is there anywhere online I can be pointed towards to see what's being talked about?

Reply #662751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short memories "since the dawn of time" or since a previous rule change which started all of this in the first place.

Go back to the old rule allowing the offence to choose to shoot or take the ball from out of bounds if the opposition is in the bonus and all of this is avoided.

That said the USF is a rule. The League and the referees are simply applying FIBA rule. I too agree the foul fest at the end of the game is a blight on the sport something all bodies from FIBA to the NBA are trying to remove.

Move on.

Reply #662753 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Who says fouls at the end is a blight on the game? First I've seen of it. This isn’t the hack a shaq tactics that some teams abuse.

It’s part of the game and creates more opportunities for a tight finish. Try and abolish it and the last couple minutes will be the leading team dribbling in circles for 20seconds and chucking up a shot or until they are fouled regardless from defense getting desperate to get the ball and you end up in the same place.

Reply #662786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do the ego driven refs pay those at the end of games yet don't pay jervis flattening newley today? What part of the ball was jervis going for?

Reply #662791 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This emphasis on unsportsmanlike fouls being called on players near the end of a game was always going to cause some issues where teams need to foul to get the opposition on the line as time runs out.

The NBL is our pinnacle, they have to sort it out, but it always comes down to some interpretation. That's where the real issue lies, the quality of the officials to be able to read the state of the game and not influence it unfairly.

This is not going to be an easy fix, now that the rule is the subject of 'point of emphasis'...

Reply #662801 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Who says fouls at the end is a blight on the game? First I've seen of it. This isn't the hack a shaq tactics that some teams abuse."

Btown - I've been saying it for years and yes, it does turn off casual followers.

Tactical fouling takes away the speed and athleticism that basketball tries to promote itself with. It makes basketball one of the few games that effectively rewards intentional breaking of the rules instead of punishing it. Casual followers have said the same to me and it's one reason they don't become fans.

In particular, the tv game is usually pretty boring to watch, as a consequence. I suspect that's one reason for Loeliger's recent observation that televised games are really only drawing significant audiences from the cities of the teams playing the game. The game itself is not exciting enough to draw in large numbers of viewers who have no vested interest in the outcome.

Reply #662861 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"the quality of the officials to be able to read the state of the game and not influence it unfairly"

Shit, people come on her to moan about refs being inconsistent and now other people want them to change how they call the game as the "state of the game" changes. Now that's inconsistency.

Reply #662863 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"It's part of the game and creates more opportunities for a tight finish."

No, it doesn't. It rarely works as a tactic. Teams average about 1 point per possession in normal game play. If they have a decent 3 point shooter, they might average 1.2 per possession. In foul shooting teams average about 1.4 points per pair of foul shots. A good foul shooter average 1.6 per pair. Even under pressure at the end of a tight game, they average better than 1.2 points per per pair. So the fouling team usually ends up giving away more points than they score themselves.

Reply #662865 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Get rid of flopping calls while you're at it. Just let them sit on their arse and get scored on if they flop like the old days.

Reply #662874 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Leave the flopping calls to soccer.

Reply #662879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is that it won't stop fouling, teams aren't going to think we won't do it in case we get called for an unsportsmanlike, they'll actually have to make a hard attempt at the ball resulting in a slight increase in chance of injury. Why not tell the ref I'm fouling, when the opponent has the ball touch them and the call is made.
Sure it sometimes is painful, especially when teams foul when they're down by ten with ten seconds to go. But making clutch shots is part of the game. And it certainly takes the uncertainty out of the refs hands.

Reply #662887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhys martin should be sent out every game for multiple flops. Every time he is defending he falls over. Is he that weak physically?

Reply #662898 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

All I know is that I used to enjoy watching the end of a close game but now it's bloody terrible.

Reply #662903 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

From what i have seen in the Japanese league (probably similar to NBL) USF are turning basketball into something akin to football (soccer). Refs are not held to account for USFs called and (more importantly not called), as the calls and interpretations are so subjective. 2 fts plus possession in a close or hard thought game can are like a dodgy PK in a football game.

I'm especially tiring of players gesturing and pressuring/appealing for USFs for anything as if they are Euro footballers. I'd like to see something done about that (techs for excessive appealing) - leave it to the ref to make the decision.

Reply #662908 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hey we already have a Melbourne United. Lets get yellow and red cards too.

Reply #662919 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

I'd say the adjustment that players will need to make is that rather than automatically look like he wants to frisk his opponent.. he actually goes for a steal. If he is successful in stealing .. its a bonus because his team now has possession and hasn't had to give away a foul. The team thats just turned it over will now also possibly be a bit more hesistant the next time up the floor.

Team now know that they are going to be fouled down the stretch and thus make sure that the ball is in the hands of reliable FT shooters.... thus why the "foul the team & send them to the line" doesn't work that many times.

Also .... the casual fan ( who can become a rusted on fan if treated right) DOES see the send to the line tactic as less than appealing ( I know .. because I am a basketball convert). Hence the joke about the last 2 mins of games lasting a lifetime.

Reply #662920 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

In theory, SJ - yes. Trouble is in reality, play the ball properly and hard you'll get pinged for unnecessary roughness - bang! USF. Play the ball conservatively/softly and you'll get pinged for not playing the ball/tactical fouling - bang! USF. Seen it too many times this season. Especially with blatantly hometown refs.

Reply #662922 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I expect this conversation on USF interpretation may continue after the USF's on Barlow and Te Rangi tonight.

Reply #663209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You keep trying to make it happen but both those calls were correct so there is no controversy

Reply #663216 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not the one creating controversy

Just pointing out that the Teys call was equally correct

Reply #663218 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Teys call wasn't correct, he had a legal guarding position a split second before contact was made. Funnily enough, the first contact was made by Hooley's lead arm.

A lot of people talking about how that call is correct under the new rule, but that isn't the case, Teys had fulfilled all the requirements of being in front of the ball handler and establishing a legal guarding position, albeit briefly.

Reply #663225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Teys put his arm across the waist of the offensive player. He didnt play the ball. He tried simply a Euro foul. That is not legal. He was not even close to the ball.

Reply #663228 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Teys clumsily lunged across his opponent. I'm not sure how that's supposed to be remotely "legal".

Reply #663233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn making his opinion while trying to belittle other people's opinions without understanding them as usual, tosser

Reply #663235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiba have just ruined the game of basketball with this rule change, up 6 with not long left there is no way you can win. The refs never call sorts fouls at the end of the game ending in a hard foul! Along with this it is much more safe for a player to wrap up another softly then make a would swing and play at the ball.

Reply #663250 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Ok. So from what I can gather nobody is really sure what the hell is going on. Everyone has a different take on it. Great rule change....

Reply #663275 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The intent of the rule IMHO has always been to stop defenders deliberately fouling to stop the flow of the game. They have simply tightened and clarified this.

It's not so much "different rules in the last 2 minutes" as it is recognition that this is when the tactic is most likely to be deployed.

I can recall one game when Trev kept subbing Hire in, purely so he could foul, then subbing him straight out again. It was ugly.

This should also stop the tactic whereby defenders were trying to foul the worst shooter, even when he didn't have possession.

For mine, its simple. Instead of just picking out the worst shooter and wrapping your arms around him, you have to make a proper play for the ball. And hey, maybe you get lucky and get the steal.

Reply #663284 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I'm with D2.0 and a lot of others on this topic. Make a genuine attempt to steal the ball. If you foul the player, it's a foul, straight up. Free throws, if you're in the bonus, possession if not.

Deliberately foul the player, just to stop the game, when you have no chance of making a steal without fouling and it's unsportsmanlike.

By the way (and I don't often agree with him) PeterJohn is absolutely correct about the likely outcomes of late-game foul fests. They rarely work, anyway. It's ugly basketball, to boot.

Reply #663286 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

So the Teys foul at the end of the game where he was in front of Hooley and reached at the ball while making body contact (because an offensive player is always going to try to keep the ball away from a defender) is always going to be called an unsportsmanlike foul then? From what's happening in the games following that one it's not looking too consistent.

Reply #663292 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Fiba have just ruined the game of basketball with this rule change, up 6 with not long left there is no way you can win."

No they haven't. What is being called in the NBL isn't consistent with the rule or with what's being called in other leagues. The issue is with the implementation here, not with the rule.

The only real change in practical terms with late-game fouling is you have to get legal position first. Once you've done that you should be fine if it's called correctly.

Reply #663341 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That was pretty much my point, that the interpretation needs to by correct!

Last thing we want is officials deciding a game late because they are calling unsportsmanlike, giving the ball back with seconds to go and everyone getting frustrated at them...

Reply #663349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754