Haz
Years ago

NBL venues and how they look on TV

NBL arenas across the league all have their own unqiue feel to them. Apart from the NSEC, and the poorly attended WEC, I quite like watching games from all the other venues. I prefer the big game feel - big arena with a good size crowd. Excellent to watch and the product looks good. Brisbane has a small venue, but it looks good on TV (for me anyway)

One gripe I have though is Adelaide Arena. Im finding it harder to watch games from Adelaide (never used to until recently). What I dont like about it is the lighting. They've made it way too dark. Can hardly see the crowd at all! I get that they've done this to look more slick and professional (perhaps a Madison Square Garden vibe) - and they have - but its just too dark and it takes away from the atmosphere a bit.

Plus the dark lighting also makes the LED signage too bright in contrast. The LED lighting gets blended in with the rims and it makes it a bit hard to see shots go in.

Anyone else have a similar gripe or is it just me?

Topic #42411 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I too other than North Shore & Wollongong really enjoy seeing games in all the other venues. My favourites would be Brisbane & Spark Arena in NZ.

They've made it way too dark. Can hardly see the crowd at all!

That might be to hide the smaller crowds this season. No Randle factor plus the Sixers are pretty much the only team who consistently don't mention the game attendance in their box scores this season.

Reply #663038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They put that lighting effect in last year, so thankfully conspiracy averted ;-)

Reply #663039 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Wasnt there around 6000 today? Basing that off what John Casey said in the broadcast. Apart from that, with the lighting making it impossible to see the crowd, and tbe Sixers not publishing crowds you'd never know what it was like there!

Reply #663040 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There might've been but wouldn't have been the first time this season commentators have exaggerated the size of crowds. Dwayne Russell does it nearly every time in Melb and some like Rosen & Heal usually add an extra thousand or two to the Hawks home crowds. They work for the NBL so to be expected.

Reply #663041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't stand the look of those crappy old rings Adelaide and Cairns use. Sydney looks the best by far coloured court outline Sydney Kings print either end and coloured ring supports.

Reply #663042 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Yep I hate that too (commentators inflaating crowds). I remember one time the attendance at a Perth game went from 12,000 to 13,000 to 15,000 according to the commentators. Place doesnt even hold 15000.

Dwayne Russel particularly guilty of that.

Reply #663044 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I'll be the contrarian then and say I really like the dark lighting, although I never watch the home games on TV. Today was a pretty good crowd and I don't think they have been that bad on average throughout the year.

Reply #663052 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't mind referring to 13,000 as 15,000 depending on context. Sometimes it just sounds better to round up and the actual number isn't particularly relevant.

12/13,000 can be explained by one person rounding, say, 12,600 up (correctly) and another just ignoring the last three digits.

Russell advertising upcoming games as 'sold out' when there are hundreds of tickets available is peak stupid though.

Reply #663066 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Cairns Convention Center is straight up hideous on TV, so much so that it actually detracts from the game. Illawarra would have to be my second least liked but it is manageable. I hate the New Zealand arenas but the camera angles show off the action well so they get a bare minimum pass from me. The rest on TV look fine.

Reply #663079 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's wrong with Cairns?

NSEC and SNAHC (if that still counts) are easily the worst.

Reply #663081 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I can say hand on heart that in several decades of watching Australian basketball I've never once turned on an nbl game and thought that the stadium detracted in any way from the game I was watching. I'm just glad all the venues don't all look the same, that'd be dull.

Reply #663102 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

CT, I can respect that. However for me the venue plays a big part in the overall presentation of watching a game on TV. If the stadium is crappy and there's not much of a crowd there - or you cant see the crowd at all because they are blacked out by the lighting, it takes away from the overall viewing enjoyment.

Personally I love watching games from Perth Cairns and Melbourne specifically. And Sometimes Sydney and NZ (when at Spark Arena). Those places the arena is usually full (or decent sized) or the atmosphere is really good. Comes across well on TV, and thats important for creating an attractive league for new fans to get into.

Reply #663107 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

NZ seems dark and squishy from what I perceive on TV.

Reply #663132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, NZ needs something, maybe more lighting or a new stadium. Melbourne last night, open air, full house and amazing viewing was probably a benchmark!

STUNNING

Reply #663238 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Agreed. How the game looked yesterday was world class.

Reply #663243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754