Zodiac
Years ago

Taipans vs Wildcats, Dec 31

NYE up in Cairns again and a tough but high scoring loss in the Gong and a big win over the 36ers in Adelaide should see the Taipans confident against a currently spluttering Perth team.

The big news out of Perth that everyone is on the edge of their seats about has been confirmed, Greg Hire is out for tonight.

Topic #42436 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Perth normally play horrible @ Cairns, worse so on NYE.

Reply #663647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Hire is good news for Perth it means Steindl and DKD might actually be able to get some rhythm in the game.

Reply #663648 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Damian Martin is back for this game.
Hire out means Steindl finally gets opportunity to impress and Wagstaff needs to step up.

Reply #663651 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Need to start strong, Nate back? They seem to play there best against Perth but that game in the gong was one of the best games I have seen cairns play.

Other than Adelaide every team struggles up there. A win for Perth will go a long way to finishing top two.

Reply #663660 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Melbourne could take top spot with a Perth loss.

Reply #663682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it just me or does Weeks looks like he carries coming around a screen?

Reply #663702 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Is NBL.TV working for anyone for this game?

Reply #663703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can watch it this link only..
http://pages.nbl.com.au/tv/

Reply #663704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game over at quarter time.

Reply #663705 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Current mood: :-)

Reply #663706 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

No nbl.tv for me either. Current mood :(

Reply #663707 | Report this post

Years ago

The link anonymous posted is the only one working for some reason

Reply #663708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These umpires are horrendous. No consistency, Evans call wasn't a foul, Brandt didn't travel. Such a joke

Reply #663709 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I dunno about that Evans-Wagstaff call.
I'm all for not rewarding flops, but to me that was legal defence, and Jesse moving backwards (and thus providing no resistance when Evans was expecting some) caused Evans to stumble/travel.

Reply #663710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fyi - thats the link nbl put up when nbltv isnt working.. went and found the link from a game that didnt work last week

Reply #663711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Nate was going to play I read.

Reply #663713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Working fine here. IE browser.

Reply #663714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely waxy fouled. 12 ft to 1 ffs refs come on

Reply #663715 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Welcome to the team, Clint

Reply #663716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling a foul from where you shouldnt.... cairns homecooking is spectacular this year

Reply #663717 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Refs won't let Cairns lose

Reply #663718 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Thanks for the link anon!

Reply #663719 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Current mood: still :-)
Good energy. Bugger about Cotton's 3rs though.

Reply #663720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth with Cook in there are a nightmare on defense. Agility on defence is off the chart. You got five guys who can defend all over the floor

Reply #663722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Twitter promoting the Cairns mascot calling Steindl a "c*nt". Embarrassing.

Reply #663723 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, the Egwu matchup suits Cooke better than most 5s

Reply #663724 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

offensive foul city

Reply #663726 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Current mood: :/
Lucky to be in front by this much after that crappy quarter.

Reply #663727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs want a Taipans win, Cooke should've passed that to Wagstaff for open lay up. Massive swing Cairns should win from here

Reply #663729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An under 10 team could be competitive in cairns. The cooking is so thorough

Reply #663730 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Coooooooke

Reply #663731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans are a joke. Numerous calls their way and still complaining on here.

Reply #663733 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You coulda had that, Cairns. Too many errors when you had us on the ropes.

Reply #663734 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Back to the Chocolate Factory Oompa Loompas!!

Reply #663735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson. Calm down bro

Reply #663736 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cairns had the help fo the refs and still screwed it up.

And for those Cairns fans who go on about how important the NYE game is always a sell out and important to the Cairns community....there were empty seats.

Reply #663737 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cooke starting over Brandt proved to be the right choice.
Great to see Steindl step up and more importantly great to see Perth win.
Credit to Loughton though playing like he is 10 years younger

Reply #663738 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"there were empty seats."

where? a few of the corporate boxes may have had some no shows and some of the members were out of town but it was sold out mid-afternoon today..

Reply #663741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only four of the five fans showed up.

Reply #663742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously what an embarrassment. A few members out of town or other plans in the middle of the holiday season. Shame Cairns shame.

Reply #663743 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Over 5,100 people there out of a 5.5k stadium. Not bad guys

Reply #663744 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'm not sure all those 5.5k seats are GA Manu, I do know that all available seats were sold. People were being turned away at the box office a couple of hours before tipoff. So 100% a sellout.

From memory, that's about double what Brisbane got last year.

If there were empty seats they were either seats not available for sale or a member didn't show up. Some members (and i don't approve of this) might have chosen to go on holiday with their family over the holiday period..

Reply #663745 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah yeah it's more like the 5,300 number isn't it?

All I can say is thank God NYE is back in Cairns because they need it.

Reply #663747 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

I would have preferred a win, but i'll take a live game ;)

You’re right though. Can’t remember the exact number, but it’s been reported that it generates an extra few k for the club.

Reply #663748 | Report this post

Romar  
Years ago

Wildcats!

Reply #663761 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"but it's been reported that it generates an extra few k for the club."

Thank goodness, that should be enough for pay the Taipan imports for next year.

Reply #663785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Some members (and i don't approve of this) might have chosen to go on holiday with their family over the holiday period.." Good on them. They have paid for their tickets and if it means a no show who cares.

Reply #663786 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

LoveBroker, yes, when you're a team without a sugar daddy every dollar counts...... You should cut down your salt intake in 2018..

(anon, i was being sarcastic)

Reply #663791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A nice wrinkle to add Cooke to the starting line-up. As others have mentioned, he's more of a finisher than a creator, so it makes sense to pair him with guys that can make plays and draw defenders. There were some good signs on the Cotton/Cooke pick and roll a couple of times in the second half.

Not sure how that female ref keeps getting a game. She is consistently bad.

Reply #663793 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes Podge....I am forever salty about Cairns having Schoochie, Nannnna and Jerry Jnr. If there is any Sodium chloride, it's from those who keep telling everyone how Cairns have no benefactor or howl that the NBL wants Cairns gone by taking away one NYE game.

Reply #663799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's about time Cairns stops playing the "poor me" card and start acting professionally. I don't know, do you think potential sponsors want to see the mascot walking around with a sign saying "CUNT" on it?

Reply #663800 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Taipans supporters are generally too sensitive. The club needs ca$h but we could probably not have it be every second thing that comes out of our mouths. It's a) a defeatist mentality, and b) what we will become known for.

One thing that I scratch my head about is our choice of import PGs over recent years, going back to Wilson or even prior. They don't seem to fit our system. I guess no good college programs run shuffle or motion offences because that's just not how they play over there. So you won't find a starting quality NBL import come from a school that runs our offence. I dunno, just hypothesising. *obligatory mention of budget... Maybe we don't have enough money as a club to recruit anything but college kids.

Reply #663801 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

And what's up with this C word on a sign?

Reply #663802 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Do any good college programs run shuffle or motion? Legit question

Reply #663804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask the mascot. He obviously thought it was a good idea.

Reply #663805 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What did the sign say and at what point in the game did you see it. Were you there or just watched on TV?

Reply #663806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sign had a picture of Steindl on it with the words "WELCOME BACK CLINT" printed on it. The L and the I in CLINT were close together. There was no ambiguity to what it meant though. The picture was tweeted by the NBL.

Reply #663808 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

HAHAHA classic, but it simply cannot be proved. The club could say the joke was in the jerseys, not the words. If it was a plain picture of Steindl in a single uniform then you'd be suss because you'd be looking around the sign for the actual joke. That is perfect.

Reply #663809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What can't be proved?

Reply #663810 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I may just be a sensitive Taipans snowflake, but I simultaneously dislike the CLINT sign and don't care about it...

Reply #663814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think the joke itself is funny (although very old) but also think its time Cairns dragged themselves out of the bush league. No way any of the other clubs would do something like that.

Reply #663815 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha more anon dynamite.

Reply #663816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great response podge

Reply #663818 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Everything i do, I do it for you.

Reply #663819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So because I dont have a username that means my point about Cairns is invalid?

Reply #663820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"One thing that I scratch my head about is our choice of import PGs over recent years, going back to Wilson or even prior."

I dunno. Ubaka, Wilson in his first year and Wilbekin were all good gets who worked well, Trice was up-and-down last year but I definitely wouldn't call him a bad signing either.

Scoochie hasn't worked out and neither did Markel Starks, but I'd hardly call it a bad record overall.

Reply #663829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns have to be admired for always putting a good team on the floor with a tight budget, a lot better than some clubs with unlimited budgets.

Reply #663830 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@Manu Fieldel said: Taipans supporters are generally too sensitive. The club needs ca$h but we could probably not have it be every second thing that comes out of our mouths. It's a) a defeatist mentality, and b) what we will become known for.
--
I agree with you to a certain extent Manu and maybe I'm guilty of that myself occasionally however it becomes annoying when posters exaggerate, jump to wrong conclusions and don't get their facts correct.

Reply #663837 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@LoveBroker said: Yes Podge....I am forever salty about Cairns having Schoochie, Nannnna and Jerry Jnr. If there is any Sodium chloride, it's from those who keep telling everyone how Cairns have no benefactor or howl that the NBL wants Cairns gone by taking away one NYE game.

--

Yet another one of your exaggerations and inaccuracies LoveBroker. It was not ONE NYE game being "howled" about. The NBL stated at the time the NYE games were going to be shared around and indications were that it could be more than a one off. As well as that, the Cairns fans that were claiming the NBL wants Cairns gone were not saying this solely because of losing the NYE game, it was that combined with the fact that Cairns were given a very fan unfriendly schedule overall for their home games last season which impacted the bottom line.

It would be good if you dealt with facts a bit more often rather than saying what suits you.

Reply #663838 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Paul, yeah I think we have recruited well over the years, jumped the gun. I rate Wilbekin as perhaps the best Taipan ever. I know we had Cat and he was awesome, but Scottie was incredible.

I was mainly talking about Wilson, Starks and this Smith. Trice's talent made up for the fact that he was a bad fit.

Reply #663839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson was awesome in his first year, and had Loughton and Crosswhite not both been injured late in the year Cairns make playoffs.

I reckon where the Fearne-Wilson relationship changes was once Crosswhite left, he used to cover defensive lapses from Jamar and Chewy, and all of a sudden they were getting exposed and Fearne was getting mad!

Reply #663855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As well as that, the Cairns fans that were claiming the NBL wants Cairns gone were not saying this solely because of losing the NYE game, it was that combined with the fact that Cairns were given a very fan unfriendly schedule overall for their home games last season which impacted the bottom line."

Why don't they change their name to the Cairns Tampons? Their supporters are in a perennial menstrual cycle.

Reply #663856 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

In that first grand final season I reckon Crosswhite was our most important player. Felt like we were scoring 40 a game and still winning. Didn't he have a lot left in the tank but decided to retire and live on a farm?

We went with Wilson for too long. He was just an iso scorer, but he was pretty good for the most part.

Reply #663858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was funny to hear Tragardh admit during the game that Adelaide gifted the Taipans two wins at the end of last season.

Reply #663863 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"It would be good if you dealt with facts a bit more often rather than saying what suits you."

I have stated Taipans fans howled over one lost NYE game.

Let's now check the facts.

How many NYE games were 'taken away' from Cairns since the release of the 2016/17 schedule?

PS....I hated using the term taken away because it suggests the NYE game belongs solely in perpetuity to Cairns. It doesn't.

Reply #663866 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I agree with you Manu about Wilbekin being our best ever import and I also agree with your comments about Crosswhite. He was playing really well when he left.

Paul - your comment about when you felt the Wilson-Fearne relationship started fracturing may well be right. I didn't notice it so much in that 2nd season however in the 3rd season, after Wilson came off the bench due to carrying an injury in the couple of pre -season games he played and then Fearne decided to run with that to start the season (starting McCamey - I think that was his name) instead, things certainly went down hill.

Fearne stated that Wilson wouldn't get his starting spot back until he played better and held that stance until towards the end of the season when he finally relented and that's when Wilson played his best games for that season. He got injured right near the end of the season and that was the end. Wilson stated in an interview the next season that he felt betrayed by Fearne in that 3rd season.

Where Scoochie is concerned, I understand that in general he needs to be more agressive and involved than he is at times, however I also feel Fearne is part of the problem for him losing his confidence. You need to show confidence in your imports and Fearne quite often doesn't do this. Scoochie has some very good aspects to his game. Fearne got his message across by benching him for the Illiwarra game and I understand why he went with that again against the Wildcats however I feel he needs to be put back in the starting side for his and the teams benefit.

I do agree with you Manu in that Scoochie doesn't seem to be the right fit. I think Fearne should work with what he's got rather than expecting miracles from him and I think he would get more from him that way.

Reply #663867 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@LoveBroker said:

I have stated Taipans fans howled over one lost NYE game.

Let's now check the facts.

How many NYE games were 'taken away' from Cairns since the release of the 2016/17 schedule?
--

Did you not read properly all of what I said. The "howling" was about MORE than last season's “lost” game. Indications at the time were it could become a regular occurrence and the overall home schedule was very unfriendly in general.

Reply #663869 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wilbekin is like that ex who's the best you've ever had and the best you will ever have. You keep looking them up online to see where they're at and what they're doing and it turns out she's going really well and hasn't been in contact since they left you. You've written a couple letters and even added her on LinkedIn but haven't heard so much as a peep. It's been three years. You know you'll probably never see her again but you think about what it would be like if you did. And you think about that almost every day. You know it's holding you back from moving on in all facets of your life, but somehow you're okay with it because you're still thinking of them. Thinking of Scottie. That's what Scottie's like.

Reply #663874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure whether I feel worse for the Taipans or for Manu after reading that description

Reply #663875 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Hahaha Manu. Magic.

I can't believe this website is free.

Reply #663876 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. “
Alfred Lord Tennyson

Maybe you'll write a poetic eulogy about a lost love some day. Just don’t put it on LinkedIn.

Reply #663881 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Not sure whether I feel worse for the Taipans or for Manu after reading that description"

I feel worse for Manu's Ex.

Unfortunately for him or her, their AVO didn't stipulate contact via LinkedIn messaging.

Reply #663884 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Did you not read properly all of what I said. "

Yes I did, I simply dismissed it.

The games are scheduled at the discretion of the NBL, there is no rule saying Cairns must have the NYE game and only Friday and Saturday nights.

Cairns weren't the first team to get a bad draw and won't be the last.

Difference is most other fans get over it.

Reply #663889 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Could someone start a thread about lost love and stalking exes using new media?

Reply #663898 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha glad you got a laff guys. That's all it was, a fictitious story about a girl named Caroline. Nothing more to see here.

Reply #663908 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Seriously though, I was YouTubing Wilbekin earlier and there was a 'Welcome back' video posted by the Taipans. Did he agree to a second contract then renege?

https://youtu.be/0xa3J2HnIj0

Reply #663909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but he had a Euro out clause.

Reply #663913 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

He signed with an NBA out clause, clause was activated but he got cut and Europe came calling with 000,000's

Reply #663917 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I started reading this thread and it made me more sad so I dug out my wilbekin grand final t-shirt. now I'm sitting in the dark drinking whisky and wearing my t-shirt so my kids can't see me crying.

Reply #663919 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

support group meeting Wednesday at 7.30pm.

Followed by a meeting of the Dewey Michaels appreciation society.

Reply #663922 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The games are scheduled at the discretion of the NBL, there is no rule saying Cairns must have the NYE game and only Friday and Saturday nights."

No, but they'd be pretty silly if they didn't campaign hard to get the games most favourable to them.

Reply #663928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754