Pickles Housemate
Years ago

The Worst Tribunal Sentences

I don't want to glorify this side of Basketball, but as mature people I think the Forum can handle a discussion on the weakest and harshest penalties handed out by basketball tribunals.

Don't use other people's names!

Topic #4246 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harsh penalties ... HA! Not in this state!

Reply #49314 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

This guy I know (really), was given 12 weeks for apparently pushing an opponent. He pushed him to the floor using a fist to the nose.

Reply #49317 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

mmm, cheers Mustafah - thanks for not "glorifying this side of Basketball"...

:|

Reply #49319 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

15 years for three intentional strikes to the head of a spectator (resulted in a depressed fracture of the skull).

1 year for a retaliatory strike to the head of the original striker, by a friend of the original strikee.

..... and to top off the tribunal, 6 months for a friend of the original striker who dived into the pack and re-ignited the fracas after it was dying down.

I won't name the association or the people involved, but whilst the penalties seem tough, at least they stood their ground and made a statement about violence etc.

Reply #49324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18's player get 12weeks for an attempted kick, what a joke

Reply #49331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a ref, I had the ball thrown at the back of my head from 2 metres away in a Div 3 game after an unsportsmanlike foul.

It did not even go to the tribunal, it was deemed a 2 week club suspension was enough, needless to say I was not pleased!

Reply #49337 | Report this post

rub this out  
Years ago

anon this should not happen. Under the new rules starting new junior season if a ref ejects someone then they must be reported and if they report someone then they must have ejected them. After reporting them the association make the decision on if they should front the tribunal.

At least you as the ref have done your job and can not be criticised.

I know of a umpire who once reported someone for a threat to burn down her house with her family in it amongst other bad language after being ejected. He got about 4 months.

Reply #49365 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

a player pushed an umpire to the ground in a final, the player got a few weeks (can't remember the exact figure). the same two teams play in the grand final, the suspended player is allowed to be in the crowd and intimidate the ref.

Reply #49372 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Basketball Victoria Tribunal Results

Some of interest:

All Stars (Team) 11/11/2003 - Resume 11/11/2006
Assault person - 50 weeks
Striking - 16 weeks
Kicking - 20 weeks
Fighting - 20 weeks
Disputing Decisions - 6 weeks
Unsportsmanlike behaviour - 6 weeks
Bring BBall into disrepute - 19 weeks
Not attend hearing - 20 weeks

Nicholasa Yialias (Vultures) 04/07/2004 - Resume 04/07/2007 (Total of 156 Weeks)!!!!

Reply #49398 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Didn't Boti's brother get banned for life for punching someone back in the day?

Reply #49413 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

No wonder Boti gtes stuck into officials

Reply #49415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's brother Chuba got banned for having a referee in a headlock and dragging him over the seating at apollo

Reply #49423 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

To Anonymous,

I think you should/ve raised a stink.

The obvious antidote is that in District comp, as a MINIMUM, the BASA tribunal should match the clubs sentence - in this instance the idiot who threw the ball would've got at least 4 weeks (still not nearly enough IMO).

Reply #49424 | Report this post

Rolling  
Years ago

raising a stink achieves nothing , the ref did his job by reporting the person. That is the end for the Refere.

I do agree however that the Basa needs to support the umps and give appropriate punishment

In Sa refs don't report enough. too many times people mis behave , get thrown out and then never reported.

Reply #49425 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

When I have to venture to Nourlunga, I usually notice the board which displays the recent reports and the appropriate penalties. All of these seem to be for social 'ball, so I wonder if any of their players get reported, or they just show suspensions from social games. There are some appropriate long suspensions handed out.
Any idea how many BASA (senior & junior) get reported?. I have not seen many serious incidents recently, so it could be that the players are more disciplined

Reply #49434 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

BASA Seniors and Juniors do get reported from time to time but it isn't as common as for the Social Comps.

I believe it is a discipline thing.

Reply #49437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was sent to the tribunal and found guilty of saying to a ref thats "bullsh*t". no joke, thats the truth

Reply #49438 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Not in basketball, but during an Ameatur League aussie rules game this year, a player was reported for bringing a meat cleaver onto the field after being sent off by the umpire!

Reply #49439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reffed an A Grade Mens Social game at Wayville a few years back.

Bit of a biff broke out, I had been forewarned by my partner that these 2 teams liked to go at each other.

We just get the main outbreak settled, ejected the apprpriate people, and advised they were reported. As the oppoing team member was leaving (he retaliated after being punched first) a spectator of the agrresing team then got stuck into him as well. We abandoned the game, and attempted to report the spectator, but no one would provide a name.

Goes to tribunal the next week, aggressor and retaliator both admit what they did. "Spectator" is actually the team captain who was sitting out a suspension from another stadium, but is now playing, as we watch him play in the tribunal room.

He is removed from the game and brough into the tribunal. Testimony is taken, and tribunal goes to consider.

Verdict : all found not guilty, because we couldnt get the spectators name, we should have reported the whole team. Straight out of the mouth of the chair person.

Stopped reffing that night, and pulled out my partners womens social team, which actually then killed that div for lack of teams.

Reply #49440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a referee in a social comp about 5 years ago I was a victim of a player striking me.
Game was abandoned with 30 seconds to go in a one point game.
There was no tribunal but the player received a life ban from that particular competition and details were forwarded to other competitions.

Reply #49455 | Report this post

boss hog  
Years ago

" I didn't mean to do it" - that is a pretty bad sentence at tribunals

Reply #49500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post #49440 - Ref's do not report for that exact reason. Ref's take players to a tribunal and more often then not the sentence does not fit the action. What's the point in going to a tribunal, giving up your time and money, when a player is going to get let off on 'good behaviour' after punching someone or throwing a ball at a ref? Not to mention they often have the wrong people at tribunals. Sentences are not consistent either.

Reply #49518 | Report this post

A ref  
Years ago

I once umpired a social game at Morphett Vale where one player had another player against the wall be the throat. He was reported and at the tribunal was given 50 weeks with 30 suspended, afterwards the tribunal people said that if we'd filled in the form correctly the player would have gotten a life ban, however the charges we had put down each had a maximum life penalty and there were multiple charges so I don't know how we could have done that one differently...
There are also a few players still with outstanding reports and yet I see them playing at Wayville and Marion. The stadiums need to communicate with each other because to the best of my knowlege if a player is reported at one BASA stadium they can't play at any BASA stadium in any competition until they face the tribunal. But is that the same for spectators?

Reply #49547 | Report this post

S  
Years ago

A district match (semi-final) at Port Adelaide saw a very large senior player from one side threaten the scorebench (from the opposing team) then after his team lost in a close game he proceeded to place both hands around the scorers neck and attempt to strangle him. Needless to say, this player was reported and recieved 52 weeks. Due to his age, this was the end of his career.

Reply #49550 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

Anon (#49518)

A referee will fill out the report and give a detailed statement of the events.
It is the Tribunal that will fill out the Offence Category.

Reply #49560 | Report this post

red 31  
Years ago

Under 8s game Knox domestic - two mothers of players discussing game one turns to the other and expresses an opinion on a call made in soft tone.
Referee standing nearby turns and ejects another mother on assumption it was her.
I stand up to the mother ejected and incur the same and cop 2 years FFS.

Reply #724464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red are you Alan Grant because you are digging up some bloody old threads champ

Reply #724470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754