RJ
Years ago

Junior Finals Round One Preview

Another long fluff piece but my fans (yeah all two of them) have asked and therefore here it is. My meaningless two cents worth on the big games, which ended up being a lot more then orginally intended, coming up this Friday Night.

Stadium by Stadium

THE DOME
The Highlight double at the Dome would have to be the U16 Boys. West and North (Crt.2 20:15) meet in a return stoush of the State Champs Grand Finalist and both teams have the talent to go all the way. I'd be expecting a tough hard game with a number of Metro and Country State reps trying to ensure a spot in the double chance semi against Sturt next weekend. I'm tipping West. Norwood and South (Crt.3 20:15) have both limped into the Finals with the Panthers sneaking through due to their 3-0 split with the equally (11-10-1) Mavericks. Norwood on the other hand comes into the finals series suffering a defeat at the hands of the 7th placed Eagles. (For the second time this season Arnie's managed to get the wood on his State Assistant; some things never change it seems.) Both teams will be relying on a few to step up; the Panthers buoyed by Matt Dubrich's recent selection for the All-Oz Camp. The Panthers have the ability but I'm going to go with the higher placed Flames in this one.

Other bouts at the Dome to be on the look for are National Classic champions and second-placed Sturt Sabres battling the Southern Tigers in the U12 girls (Crt.2 18:15) along with the very interesting battle between finals stalwarts North and the surging South Adelaide Panthers girls (Crt.3 18:!5).

Of great interest on this forum would be the two Under 18 Division Two games. Sturt 1 and South (Crt.2 21:30) will go head-to-head in a battle for a shot at Forestville (1) before the Grand Final; I'm assuming like most others the Eagles will be there. South has quietly gone about their business this year while the Sabres have plenty of names to throw at the Panthers in this tussle. I'm tipping a surprise and the Panthers to sneak past the Sabres in this one. (And I'm sure Mikele and others will let me know all about it if they prove me wrong.) In the other game the dangerous North Adelaide Rockets will be trying to keep their finals dream alive against the talented and disciplined Forestville 2 (Crt.3 21:30). Despite the hype surrounding the Eagles late season form I'm going to go with the Rockets.

HILLCREST
20 mens Division Two is always a hard fought finals series with a number of players hoping to end their junior careers on a high. Norwood should be too deep and talented for the Bearcats (Crt.1 20:30) and set up a semi with the undefeated North Adelaide Rockets. (Hey no mention of their coach in that other thread, see Sturt and Forestville do get all the attention; but I digress.) In the knock out game between the Eagles and Tigers (Crt.2 20:30) I'm tipping that Forestville will be too controlled, poised and structured for the scrappy, hustle and bustle Tigers outfit.

MARION
One of the major interests this time of year not only is focused on the finals series but also the exploits of our soon to be travelling Under 14 Club teams headed for National Club Championships. Three of those teams will be in action at Marion Friday in the Under 14 Boys Competition. In the first game the second place Sabres will match up with the Flames (Crt.1 18:30) in what will definitely be a closely fought contest. Both teams are lead by experienced coaches and boast two of the biggest names in this grade (if you can say that about Under 14's) and the battle between the guns in each side will be very entertaining to watch. I'm tipping the Sabres who are 2-1 v the Flames in the Winter Season will again have just enough to get the win here and face West Adelaide next week. In the other match National's hosts North Adelaide Rockets will face the equally improved Forestville Eagles (Crt.2 18:30) to stay alive in this finals series. North have shown this season they have the tools to go with the big three and I feel probably have too much for the Eagles to contend with.

The Under 16 girls 1 finals will also be here and these match-ups will spark plenty of interest. A star studded Norwood Flames side will face the West Adelaide Bearcats (Crt.1 19:45) for a spot in the double-chance semi v North. The Bearcats have surprised many this year and have knocked off the Flames twice this winter season. As I've said here before I like this Flames group a lot and am tipping them to have enough on the night against the Bearcats. In the other match-up SA Country and All-Oz Camp selection Tess Madgen will lead the exciting Mavericks side against the deep and diligent Eagles side. (Coach Glen Mathieson has also received selection for Oz-Camp) The Eagles large country contingent makes this group difficult to gauge but I'll stick with them to knock off the Mavs.

PASADENA - Definitely the stadium to be at Friday night ;-)

Aside from the league leading Sturt Sabres the 12 boys 1 competition has been closely fought all year. The structured and precise West Adelaide Bearcats face the hectic mosquito squad from South Adelaide (Crt.1 18:15). In what should be a very tight contest I'm going to go with the Bearcats on Friday. In the other contest the very improved Forestville Eagles will go up against the inconsistent Southern Tigers side. The Tigers have been as equally impressive at times as they've been disappointing at others. (I guess that comes with the territory with Under 12's) And I'd imagine a handful to coach this year too. Both teams are quite skill full and like the previous game this one should be a close entertaining match to see. For the sake of their coach I'm going to go with the Tigers.

The highlight grade in S.A. Junior basketball has to be the Under 18 Boys Division One competition. Always full of big tough bodies willing to put it all on the line and plenty of talent this year has been no exception. After a disappointing Summer the Tigers have held onto top spot in the winter and will enjoy the weekend off after playing a number of extra games in the past few weeks. The second placed Forestville Eagles will battle with the West Adelaide Bearcats (Crt.1 20:15) for the first chance at the league leaders. The Eagles have depth across the court while the Bearcats will rely on their three guns to get most of the work done. If the Eagles can contain Molitor then this one should be theirs and while I like the way the Bearcats play I'm going to go with the Eagles in this one. (It should also be noted that two of the three All-Oz camp selections Chris Molitor from West and Shannon Seebohm of the Eagles will be playing.) The Sturt Sabres will face the Woodville Warriors (Crt.1 21:30) who get through with a 2-1 split over the Norwood Flames (I'm not going anywhere near that discussion). The Sabres were pushed last Sunday by the 8th placed Panthers but will definitely come out ready to play Friday night. This one could go either way and I'll leave it up to you guys to tip who'll win it.

S.A.'s Under 18 girls have tasted success interstate this year and now it's time for us to go to battle locally. Despite the detractors (and I guess you could included me there) the Rockets have maintained top spot and will enjoy the break this week. The second placed Eagles led by All-Oz selections Martin and Newley will face the Francis led Mavs in what should be a closer battle then some may expect. We all remember the Mavs having a hand in bundling the Eagles out of the finals at State Champs (I'm sure the Forestville girls haven't forgotten) and they definitely have more then just Francis in their arsenal. Another close encounter and again sorry but I'm not willing to tip a winner. Either way it's bound to be a high-standard, enthralling match up. Sturt and Norwood (Crt.2 21:30) both boast All-Oz selections of their own (Langford for Sturt/SA Country and Romeo from Norwood) and both have shown so far this year they have the talent to go with the three teams above them. Sturt probably have more tools and led by Coach Mesecke should have enough to get over the Flames.

One of the forgotten grades this year would be the Under 21 women. For proof just look at where they're playing this week ... Pasadena COURT THREE! While the number of teams has dropped off the talent on display certainly hasn't and these will be very engrossing games to watch. The Flames have been undefeated this season (don't get me started, I tell ya it's all Sturt and Forestville on here) and will sit back and, well do whatever teenage girls do on a weekend off from basketball. First up the consistent Eagles will face a talented Tigers outfit (Crt.3 20:30) to stay alive in 2005. If the Tigers can get it together they clearly have more firepower and no doubt this match-up will be interesting for more reasons then just the final outcome. I'm tipping the Tigers to sneak by this time round. A lot of this grade is based on just who's in uniform with Sturt and West (Crt.3 21:45) two such teams that are hard to pick. Assuming both will be close to full strength the Sabres should have too much size and scoring punch for the talented group of guards the Bearcats will put on the floor.

PORT ADELAIDE
Another grade with National interest is the Under 14 girls. Darwin bound Sturt will face Forestville (Crt.1 18:30) in what should be another tough contest between these two sides. Forestville's form of late has been good while the Sabres have had a somewhat easy ride into the finals. I'm going to tip a bit of an upset here and suggest the Eagles depth and diversity will be enough to get them by the talented Sabres. In an interesting battle the Southern Tigers will battle South Adelaide (Crt.1 19:45) for elimination. Despite major player losses the Panthers have held onto 5th place and a finals spot but I just don't think they have the talent or depth to go with the big four in this grade. (Would be five ... but ... well lets not open up that topic again.) The Tigers size and current form would suggest they'd get by the Panthers with little problem. (I know as soon as I say something like that, it's bound to come back to haunt me.)

Lastly we come to the Under 20 men's grade. Despite a last round hiccup the Rockets have held on for a top spot finish and week off. Norwood and Woodville (Crt.1 21:00) will battle for the chance at the Rockets in the semi and both teams will have plenty of reason to have a successful finals series. Both teams play with intensity and determination rarely seen these days in Under 20 1's and this should be a very interesting match-up. The Flames have a 2-1 record on the Warriors this season and I'm tipping they'll make it 3-1 after this weekend. West Adelaide and Forestville (Crt.2 20:30) will also be an interesting tussle. The Bearcats will be buoyed by their final round win over the Rockets while the hard-working Eagles have shown all season that even without the big names they can stay with the best teams in the competition. Those big names may be too much in this one though and I'm tipping Academy bound Cradock and Co. to have enough poise and firepower to knock the Eagles out of the finals race.

Topic #4247 | Report this topic

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Great preview RJ and you picked us to win!

Reply #49333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hate to disappoint but molitor won't be playing this week. apparently neither will long. should still be a great matchup. lucky for west, they get the double chance, and should have both back next week

Reply #49348 | Report this post

Takeaway Place  
Years ago

In the U16 B Div1

North V West its going to be a two three "Be a Tree" Vs Three Two "Please Don't Move" - Battle of the Zone Defence. West to be playing Sturt the week after.

Norwood V South - I'll take south in the end as of Norwoods poor form of late. South to Be playing North next week.

Reply #49352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the u16 boys North might beat West by about 20 points. The game might be the same if Jordan hits the threes when they count.

Reply #49356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you left out the 16 2s elim final between west and sturt 2.how could you? should be a cracker.

Reply #49402 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Trust me you weren't forgotten but some grades got cut. It was long enough as it was and no one comes on here to read a novel. The original write up was almost twice the size of what got posted. Unfortunately 16 2's boys and girls, 18 3's and 18 4's (sorry MC and DC) got cut in order to keep the post readable.

Feel free to post your own thoughts in this thread, I'm sure people would be interested. :-)

Reply #49404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#49402...

How could he/she leave out the elim final between West and Sturt 2 in 16 2s? I'll tell you how.....

They aren't playing!!!!

If you look at the finals draw, Sturt 2 came 3rd (above North) on head-to-head.
West are playing North mate!

Sturt 2 have Norwood in the Qualy.

Reply #49408 | Report this post

Jennings  
Years ago

u18 div 2 final
Yeah i think south will shit on sturt 1. last time both the teams met (with full sides) it was at state champs sturt won by 2 points after a questionalble decision from a particular victorian ref that cost the panthers a fast break and 2 points with 8 seconds remaining.

Reply #49409 | Report this post

Carlo  
Years ago

Hey RJ, just to let you know we have played forestville 5 time this year and have a 3 - 2 lead. So its probably unfair to say arnie has had the wood over me this year!!! PLus we played finals in summer, state champs and now winter.

Reply #49410 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

RJ
Who is the third to make the All-Oz Camp for U18s boys?

Reply #49419 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Carlo,

It was meant to be tounge in cheek and I am very aware that those two games were played under tough conditions for you guys as well.

Curious,

I'm told a certain big guy named Jordan Dodman has been invited.

Reply #49422 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Jennings,

Looks like I'll have to bring toilet paper and a big umbrella then for Friday night's game.....

Reply #49426 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Great report, but West U/18 D1 will have Long playing, but St Mic's have school year 12 formal, which made it a priority for the team to make the top 3 to get the double chance, just in case.

Reply #49435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

carlo, showing ur immaturity again .
bet u dont know nicole johnson asked about coaching 16.1 b next year.with the 12.1b coach taking over the 14s

Reply #49436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U14 boys finals,Sturt is the team to beat,with big john back form injury and their guards are very good.dont have much on the bench thou. West will finish 2nd good balanced team ,can they stop big john? lots of scoring options. they must be still kicking themselves they lost to norwood at the state champs after leading by 20pts. Norwood fancy themselves to make grand final ,has been trapping and pressing alot in recent games,have 3 stand out players tall centre # 10 ,forward#7 and the guard they got from the mavs( a very lucky pick up, he was the missing piece in that team ) North,no real stars here have improved,but wont bother any of the good teams.Forrestville, like north have improved and like north just making up the numbers.

Reply #49442 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Re post #49436 - pure comedy :-)

Re U/12 girls div 1 - Have you used the right description, Sturt will be battling Southern... Have Southern improved so much that they deserve an upgrade from door mat to battlers?

Reply #49492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was only 14 points last time they played. Sturt should win, but ...

Reply #49497 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

RJ

Great report. Did your reasearch come from analysing Sportingpulse or do you spend too much time hanging around basketball stadiums.

Reply #49512 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

I spend WAY too much hanging around basketball stadiums. Plus I have many sorces who give me info from time to time.

Reply #49533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are the sorces as helpful as your sources?

Reply #49536 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

They're much better then my typing.

Reply #49543 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

I know I'm replying to myself but figured some would get a laugh ...

"and will sit back and, well do whatever teenage girls do on a weekend off from basketball." ...

If they were blonde and from North they'd be waiting for a SMS from Matt Ryan!

Reply #49546 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

RJ,

Awesome review of the finals!

And an even better joke at my expense! Clarkey would be loving that one!

Reply #49548 | Report this post

Jennings  
Years ago

Good tip RJ turns out south did beat sturt 1 in the first final

Reply #49576 | Report this post

Moscow  
Years ago

14 Boys 1

Sturt def Norwood by 20
Forestville def North by 10

Sturt to Play West and Norwood to play Forestville

Reply #49600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the u18 girls...

extremely suprised at norwoods win over sturt. (no offence to norwood)
Seeing norwood come off a 52 point loss to Forestville last saturday, and then come up against a very strong team like sturt, just seems a little suprising that sturt could not shut them down. Anyone see the game and report?

Forestville's game agaisnt Mav's was quite exciting. Eagles getting a one point win over mavs. Forestville girls did an excellent job without Martin. That game could have gone either way, with players from both sides stepping up!

This friday...
Fville vs North - 9:45pm at the dome. Should be a good game!
Mavs vs Norwood - 8:30pm at the dome
maybe a landslide?

Reply #49859 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

The Review of the Preview:

U/12B1 1/2
U/14B1 1/2
U/14G1 1/2
U/16B1 1/2
U/16G1 1/2
U/18B1 1/1 didn't tip Sturt/Woodville
U/18G1 0/1 didn't tip Forestville/Eastern
U/18B2 2/2
U/20M1 1/2
U/20M2 2/2
U/21W1 0/2

Total 11/20

Is that a pass on Hoops SA?

Reply #49883 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Surely no one would have tiped Norwood to beat STurt in the 18 girls. (I saw the ending and still struggled to believe it!) That being said in a lot of circumstances I tipped with my heart and got burnt, 12 b's 1 for example. Also I think the 14 B's North v F/ville game wouldn't been a little different had the Rockets PG not have gotten inujured in the 1st quarter.

No one said I know anything anyway, but that doesn't stop me trying. :-)

Reply #49959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a cop out RJ! If, could of, should of....

Reply #49993 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

How about I keep round two right here, on my cpu and Pegs and Anony can post a preview of this weekend then ??

Reply #50003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soft option RJ. Thought you could handle the critics. Maybe I was wrong!

Reply #50005 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

HA. Me NOT post a preview. Yeah not bloody likely.

It will be here, as soon as it's finished.

Reply #50007 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Yeah RJ come on- got shut down in 21 womens 1 as well!!!

Reply #50014 | Report this post

Notorious  
Years ago

the south v. sturt 18 div 2s game on friday night was hot. Shout out to my boy Shau for that mass three at the end of the game.

Reply #50031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

y cant ppl jus shut the f*** up about how RJ was wrong here or wrong there who rly gives a shit his doing this 4 the benefit of others and 2 giv ppl who know nothing about whats going on around the stadiums a reveiw, i dont c u anon or pegs givin a reveiw espesuly as good as RJ's so give the guy a break

Reply #50809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doing a great job rj thank you

Reply #50861 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

People can say what they want. I know my tips stink; that's not the point of posting.

Reply #50866 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754