Hogwash
Years ago

Can Adelaide win title 2017/18

I don't think so but I'm sure many Adelaide fans think they can.

Thoughts?

Topic #42474 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can and will are two very different things. Can they? Yeah sure as long as someone takes out Melbourne for us in the playoffs, I'd back us to beat either Perth or NZ.

Not much chance if we run into Melbourne though.

Reply #664944 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The moment they get slowed down they're boned

Reply #664951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth and Melb are tier 1 chances.

36ers are next. If they hit their top form at the right time, anything is possible.

Reply #664969 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No

Reply #664974 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It's what they play for and they have the talent. I'd like to see the play Perth and NZ too. Reckon both those teams would be keen to avoid Adelaide. Melbourne is providing to be this years bogey team.

Reply #664975 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Right now I'm picking Melbourne and yes I'm a Perth fan.
Perth have no proven third scorer.

Reply #664978 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Perth still favourites for mine

Reply #665004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Adelaide are a chance. They have the talent and a good import contingent.

Their upcoming games are against teams outside the four (then two Wildcats games after that).

vs Taipans
at Kings
vs Hawks
at Hawks
at Bullets

You'd pick them to make the four, then if they're without injuries and hitting form at the right time, they're a decent shot.

Reply #665008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely, any of top four can. Adelaide has some games winners but are inconsistent. Will come down to defence

Reply #665012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimal chance.

Reply #665016 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Grand seesers la magnifique..

Reply #665033 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

36ers bench is superior to the other 3 teams. In a final series that will be telling IMO

Deng , Drmic, Moore, Hodgson/ Childress is where the war will be won

Reply #665035 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Don't know how you could flat out say no to this question.
We have 3 solid at worst imports who could all fire on any given night. Childress isn't his old dominant self, but he's been building throughout the season. Moore is a really efficient leader of the second unit. Shorter is hot and cold, but makes a big difference on the offensive and defensive end on his good night.
We have Creek, who is at least a top 3 Aussie in the league. Has been a little slow coming back from injury, but should be firing by the time Playoffs come around.
Then we have 4 other Aussies who are capable of high level play in DJ, Sobey, Drmic (assuming he returns) and Deng. And we have Hodgson, who hasn't been great of late, but is solid on his night.
And hopefully we won't use Teys once Playoffs start.
I think we're the least reliant of all the teams on a select few.
If Tokoto and Cotton don't fire in the Playoffs, Perth will get bundled out (Cotton has so far proven to be a big game player and Tokoto can flat out ball, so this likely won't happen).
The list Melbourne have built hasn't proven to be able to put it together when it matters, yet. Not sure what the Prather situation is, and Felix hasn't played enough to know if he's an adequate replacement for him yet. They've proven consistently to have our number this year, so they're our biggest issue.
We've beaten New Zealand twice in the last few weeks. I feel they're going to regret not bringing in the third import. I don't think their local unit is overly great (Vukona and Penney are getting on a bit and I can't see them being able to lift their game come Playoffs, like they used to), Newbill is a pretty hot and cold and Sosa can only do so much.
I wouldn't say we're favourites by any stretch, but I can't see a valid reason why you could just flat out write us off. I think we have as much chance this year as we have in any of the last 4 or 5 times that we've been a genuine chance.

Reply #665036 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Adelaide could just as easily win a series 2-0 as lose 0-2 to any of the top 4 or 5 teams in the comp. They've got the most upside of any team in the comp IMO, but have turned in some ordinary performances this season.

Reply #665039 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think once you are in the major round, it's a different ball game.

Anyone has a chance as anything can happen. As it is 90% mental at that level, players who have the ability to handle pressure and to perform under that pressure will.

Reply #665053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We've beaten New Zealand twice in the last few weeks. I feel they're going to regret not bringing in the third import.
Breakers signed a third import just the other day - Rakeem Christmas.

What's interesting about the 36ers is I don't think you could say that we've reliably seen the best of Sobey or Childress yet.

Reply #665078 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Christmas joining will have people saying NZ for the title, i don't agree. takes time to gel, i doubt it will happen in time for Breakers to really see christmas dominate.

Adelaide can will the title, yep. Sobey has more up his sleeve... Childress is getting better.

The group love Joey and Creek is getting beastly again post injury.

Reply #665084 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Breakers signed a third import just the other day - Rakeem Christmas.

Oh, nice signing

Reply #665086 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Christmas signing isn't official yet.

Reply #665090 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

NBL FB announced the Christmas signing earlier today, so I'd say its official. I don't think it moves the needle much for NZ at this stage, should have made a move earlier. Odds of Christmas struggling to stay out of foul trouble are equal to or better than his odds of being a dominant force inside.

Reply #665092 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh okay lol I hadn't checked the NBL site today just the Breakers twitter feed.

What his signing does say and the fact Loe had been inserted into the starting lineup is they've really given up on Pledger now.

Reply #665095 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ have had quite a few games where Pledger, Loe and Vukona have all been in foul trouble.
Christmas gives them even more depth and more flexibility in their line ups and adds another dimension offensively.

He'll play a similar role to the one Ebekwe did, catch lobs, hit open jumpers and protect the rim.

Yes it takes time to gel but this is one player, not a squad plus having played and trained a couple of seasons with the Pacers in the NBA one would expect his Basketball IQ to be reasonably high so picking up plays won't be a major issue. He's just been playing in Turkey so he'll be familiar with Fiba rules but the Refs will take some adjustment.

NZ are in 3rd with the same Win/Loss as Perth & Melbourne so it's not like huge changes if any were really required but this should make them even better.

Reply #665112 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Something had to be done in case you ran into Adelaide in the playoffs.

Reply #665114 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

3.8 fouls in 16 minutes in 5 Eurocup games, a little better in the BSL. Foul trouble has plagued him going back to college, and with the way refs treat import bigs here, he's going to be lucky to make it through a defensive possession without being called for something.

Reply #665116 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Then NZ have 15 fouls a game to give using legit bigs without having to resort to small ball

Reply #665153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance

Reply #665163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not with Sobey struggling and chucking up bad shot after bad shot. Sit him and start Drimic when he's back to 100%

Reply #665198 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Melbourne lose aware they lose finals.

I think Adelaide has she's wn enough in bits and pieces against Melbourne that we can beat them. Melb had Adel in the bag last game and then all off a sudden it crumbled fast and if they weren’t saved by some seriously flawed calls, Adel still a game on their home caught.

It all comes down to who you can suit up during the finals. Melb lose Ware or Prather and they look vulnerable. Sixers lose Creek or Johnson and we are stuck. Perth lose Martin and they are done. Breakers lose any off their old guard and that would be enough.

Sixers looking better as a complete package this season compared to last.

Reply #665204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic ahead of Sobey, bit early to be drinking. Drimic would add some nice flop moves. Sobey is gun even though his shot letting him down he can defend.

Reply #665221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM, it was seriously flawed calls which got Adelaide back in the game. Up 10, two minutes left, it was game over. The bad flop call on Goulding not only put him out of the game, but gave Deng an additional free throw, Adelaide possession again, and Sobey hit a three. Six point swing to cut it to four when it should have been an 8 point game and Melbourne ball. From there Adelaide imploded themselves, with players acting like their leader in Joey Wright and acting like lunatics.

Like last year the Sixers are around the mark but slightly below par.

Reply #665275 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Just quietly, United is a steal at $2.60 in Perth on Friday

Reply #665278 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

36ers won't make top 4

Reply #665285 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Melbourne and NZ would be tough match-up with their size, especially if Christmas turns out ok. Small-ball run-n-gun may need to rely on the refs during Finals, which doesn't bode well when your coach is Joey.

Reply #665289 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If any of the top 4 gets in form at the right time they could win it

But I reckon The top 3 have the defense and the structure that gives them a higher probability of succeeding under finals pressure

Which is to say that Adelaide are my 4th pick of the 4.

My tip is still Perth, and United's recent form, and Felix a good fit now has them my number 2.

Long way to go. A good chance of 3 tight playoff series

Reply #665308 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy.

nice throw away statement.

36ers WILL make top 4, they just wont win the title.

Reply #665351 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

I am a 36ers fan.

I dont think we can win the Title this season.

Reasons:

-We lack an X-Factor down the stretch. In the playoffs you sometimes need to be able to throw the ball to your stud and let them find a way to get you a score

-Defense is usually more important than Offense and the 36ers struggle to stop teams, particularly in the paint

-I think Melb now have the best team and the 36ers match up very poorly against them

-I think Perth would beat Adel in the playoffs given how much better defensively they are. Id feel more confident beating Perth than I would Melb though

Reply #666144 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I think Perth are looking a bit shakey at the moment. United are looking pretty good. NZ look old and slow but have a new guy in the mix that could make all the difference. Adelaide would need to stay consistent to be in the mix and Sobey hitting some form may be the winning formula (I'm not holding my breathe).

Reply #666164 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If Melbourne don't meet Adelaide in the semis and get knocked out by who they play I'd be very confident.

Reply #666165 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Had Adelaide faced NZ or Perth they would quite possibly be 2018 champions.

A shame they are playing Melbourne instead.

Reply #680020 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Melbourne look better than they are because Perth and Melbourne got old and fell back in the pack and Sydney and Brisbane have been poorly run/ coached.

Reply #680029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all know why Melbourne look better.

Reply #680069 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Anyone take my tip of United to win in Perth at $2.60?

Reply #680072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope.Ok

Reply #680148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754