Udog
Years ago

FIBA rule changes

There's a good article on Boti's site about the recent changes by FIBA. Worth a read.

Topic #42477 | Report this topic

Udog  
Years ago

www.botinagy.com/blog/fiba-youre-killing-the-game/

Reply #665176 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He makes some good points, IMO. I would be interested to hear from folks who have watched more international basketball than I, though - is the problem with some of these new rules the rules themselves, or our interpretation of them locally?

Reply #665177 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Boti is confused on some of these between the rule change and how it is being called in Australia.

The USF is an obvious example. The main intention of the change is to say you have to be in a legal guarding position or making a genuine play to steal. Any call penalising people doing this is incorrect.

Similarly, the tech foul for flopping isn't for flopping at all, it is for faking a foul. Here we are using it to govern the charge/block call due to our refs struggling with that area.

It was never intended to be used that way and refs around the world in comps I follow don't use it like that. It is for clear and obvious acts that are trying to con the ref when there has been no or minimal contact, not when a big dude hits you at pace and you fall over!

Reply #665178 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Boti didn't write it. Says a coach out of Melbourne..

I agree with these points because the game was more enjoyable without the rule changes

Reply #665180 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

As far as flopping goes let the game go on and they just sit on their arse and get scored on.

Reply #665181 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, my bad.

Reply #665184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple Paul. Study the article.

Reply #665185 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The intent of the rule is not to reward fake or piss weak defence. So if you go to ground to early/easily and the ref blows the whistle for a charge in that split second of reality coming in you can make it a Tech instead.

When a player flops or is soft on defence and slides along the floor and there is a no call, the disruption to the defence due to now being short 1 player normally ends up being a basket for the offence. Hence there is no advantage.

If you are just being plain stupid, eg Patty Mills when he was in the NBL, well I think a straight off tech is deserved.

Teys Tech for when he was ankle broken is a great example of just straight out Tech with no common sense.

You ha e to have a feel for the game. Some of the better refs were fans of getting old rule books and case books and learning the game. Then applying the new interpretations and look at the cases and examples to understand what the Governing body is trying to do. Traditionally Victorians have had a very authoritarian style to interpretations in the year they are released.

Reply #665189 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Todays game is full of confusion and problems with interpretations and lack of consistency. The game is not as enjoyable to watch. Players, coaches and fans are all regularly frustrated.

Reply #665192 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

At least the refs get to strut around like peacocks and steal the limelight though...

Reply #665193 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

My challenge with the flop call is that the tech is worn by the second person. Once a flop is called the way teams can play defence changes, they cant take the 50/50 chance as Damo , Drmic and co like to do.

Since the 36ers at United game I don't recall seeing a flop call though. Butler went on air and stated that they were looking to change the way that made the call.

From where I sit the flop call has been removed and replaced by a no call, which is as Paul says is how it should always have been.

Reply #665195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the fast break foul rule. Last round you could see players had adjusted and you either have to block the person in front of you trying to lay it up or you have to let them score.

League needs more runaway dunks and fast breaks which this rules intention is to fix.

In the NBA ive seen many times the player get the runaway jam with the nearby defender not trying to interfere. Makes for better viewing.

Reply #665211 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

The idea that basketball games are better with more breakaway dunks and fast breaks is an absolute fallacy. May as well just play allstar games if you don't want to have defence.

Reply #665326 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Grabbing players to make them take the ball out isn't defence.

Reply #665381 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

No it's a foul, so call the foul. Making it unsportsmanlike means players aren't even going to attemp to stop a fastbreak for fear of giving up 2 fts plus possession. Hence, less defence.

Reply #665382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No less defence that isnt related to something like rugby and not playing the ball by tackling someone or just throwing your arm out. The new C3 USF is easily void if you actually try to play defence. Try take a charge etc and your safe. Actually make a play at the ball and not the players waist and your fine. Its not that difficult.

Reply #665384 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

With all the confusion so far it has proven quite difficult.

Reply #665404 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754