Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Grand Finals

Game 1: Sat 6:30pm - Townsville vs Melbourne

Game 2: Thu 7:30pm - Melbourne vs Townsville

Game 3: Sun 6:00pm - Townsville vs Melbourne (if needed)

Topic #42481 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can get a free foxtel 2 week trial to watch the GF series, BA Sent out a release

Reply #665316 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Said pre-season it'd be a Melb/Townsville GF - I definitely didn't think it'd happen the way it did but that's now history I guess. Also said Townsville in 3, so I think I'm going to stick with my prediction on that one. I can't see Townsville dropping a game at home, and at the same time can't see their players going missing at home either. Whereas I think Melbourne could be in trouble if Liz is in foul trouble and any of Garrick/Cole/Smart don't show up or are streaky offensively. At this point in time I think Townsville have way more experience in finals situations, and while O'Hea will be massive I don't know if they'll be able to get the rest of the team firing together at the same time.

Reply #665331 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

On a slightly different note does anyone know if the league will be having an MVP ceremony or when those awards will be announced?

Reply #665333 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I doubt they will be doing anything official, because if they were we surely would know about it by now. Kinda sad but not surprising.
I too am curious about when awards are going to be announced. I would have thought that the week leading up to the GF would be the perfect time.

Pre season I picked Fire to finish top but Boomers to win the title.
Now ... I'm not so sure. Townsville having home court makes this almost 50/50 IMO, but I'm probably leaning ever so slightly towards the Fire, purely based on Liz's temperament/basketball IQ. If she keeps her shit together, no one in this league can stop her. But I back Suzy to use all the experience she has to either rack up plenty of points of her own and/or get Liz into some foul trouble, and I'm not convinced that the Boomers supporting cast will be able to replicate how well they played vs Perth.

Reply #665338 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Agreed Luuuc, sad but not surprising.. I had hoped they'd hold one, but it really doesn't look like it now. I hope they'll give the girls some more justice than drip feeding winners spontaneously via twitter like last year. It seems a bit of a slap in the face though trying to compete with other womens sporting codes by being on the TV etc but not even being able to hold a legitimate celebration of the league's best players.

Reply #665390 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Heh, had I look back too. Picked Townsville-Melbourne as top 2 and Sydney 3rd. Clearly got Perth wrong but think I had the others in about the right place.

So even if it was fairly unpredictable season, the teams with the class were still quite obvious.

Magbegor picks for ROTY were fairly obvious, she's had the most playing timing really.

Team of the Season should be something like Williams-Whitcomb-Taylor-Batkovic-Cambage but they put someone like Bishop or Snell in there. MVP seems all but heading to one of the GF stars.

Reply #665417 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Haha I think I was one of the very very few who got Perth right, but Sydney wrong - think I had Dandenong in there over them.

ROTY to be announced tonight - I'm assuming they're all to be announced via twitter again. *sigh*

Reply #665488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprise surprise no more men's budget (when both were under BA) to mooch off of for the awards ceremony so they don't have one at all.

Reply #665586 | Report this post

I don't know why Andy Stewart got the coach's award, IMO the girls just took a few games to click together.

Grand final series, it will be a different situation for glamor girl Liz, she'll have to defend Suzy out to the 3 point line rather than camping under the basket.

It will be interesting which of the two complains the most to the referees about not getting a foul called.

Reply #665637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprise surprise no more men's budget (when both were under BA) to mooch off of for the awards ceremony so they don't have one at all.

well they mustn't have ever got much from the 'mens' budget as its never been a big fanfare, and the womens teams also have to pay the league and get stuff all for it

having nothing this season just shows how unprofessional this 'professional' league is

Reply #665643 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know why Andy Stewart got the coach's award, IMO the girls just took a few games to click together.

I'm guessing because pretty much no one predicted them to be in the top 4, yet they finished 1st.
(I had them finishing 6th)

Reply #665648 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm not surprised Stewart won the COTY - he clearly took a risk with that side not having a genuine big & by playing a style that no other team could replicate. IMO he got the best out of his core group of players consistently.

Reply #665658 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz Cambage says WNBL grand final could be her last league appearance as overseas looms

But the lure of bigger leagues and frustrations with the local officials could see her resume playing overseas next summer.
"I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park and I'm lucky I play on a team where the girls understand my frustrations," Cambage told the Age in Townsville on Friday.
"I've loved playing with this team and being back in Australia but I don't think I can play in this league, I don't think it's for me so I would love to get this win with the team and then spread my wings and fly off overseas again."

Reply #665659 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

iirc she said similar a few weeks ago on SEN radio re not coming back next season. To be honest I didn't expect her to come back again next season, but to say so mid season & again leading in to a grand final series seems a bit poor. It definitely will be intriguing to see what the Boomers do about the hole she leaves in their roster if/when she does leave.

Reply #665661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Liz, take a quick look at this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

Reply #665662 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just a privilege to watch for a little while

Reply #665667 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

to say so mid season & again leading in to a grand final series seems a bit poor.
If she waits until after the grand final to say the reffing will force her overseas, it won't achieve what she wants it to achieve.

Reply #665682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes having a tanty in the media worked for her in the semis and I expect it will work again

Reply #665683 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Game 1 is being advertised on Fox Sports as LIVE on 503 (7:30pm AEDT time) but their schedule has it down for just a 1.5hr delayed showing due to the Hawks v Breakers being live in the time slot. Does anyone know more about this? I did't see anything listed on a seperate chamnnel to 503.

Reply #665908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I for one would be glad to see the back of her, she's a disgrace to women’s sport, women’s basketball , hell no sport needs people like her in it.
Her behaviour both on and off the court is atrocious and always has been, she’s played the victim card since day one.

And the girls nor the fans certainly don’t appreciate her "frustrations" at all.

Reply #665913 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Game 1 is being advertised on Fox Sports as LIVE on 503 (7:30pm AEDT time) but their schedule has it down for just a 1.5hr delayed showing due to the Hawks v Breakers being live in the time slot. Does anyone know more about this? I did't see anything listed on a seperate chamnnel to 503.

Just noticed that as well. That's crap!!

Reply #665969 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ok ... my bad ... it's Live on channel 506

Reply #665970 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Thanks, Luuuc! They actually don't say or indicate any channel on the on-air advert. I did have a flick around but couldn't see it.

Reply #665973 | Report this post

Liz's mum has filled her head with that "your the best", get out of my way.

In some national tournaments she would talk about the state coach in terms that you wouldn't hear in a pub on the rough side of town.

Reply #665982 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Will be a bad look if she wins MVP after dumping on the league and vowing to return OS

Reply #665989 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good contest so far. Suzy defending well, but taking some bad options trying to score over Liz.

Reply #666148 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

LMAO at the punter with the Bogut cardboard cutout !

Reply #666169 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep, well played!

Reply #666171 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Liz no chance of coming back to the WNBL now ;-)

Reply #666175 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boomers supporting cast AWOL so far.

Reply #666182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Donnelly > Lavey

Reply #666188 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I like her too. She's starting-calibre.

Reply #666190 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Poor from Melbourne for much of this second half - some really ordinary options on their offensive sets..

Reply #666194 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Smart & Cole's three point shooting, yuk

Reply #666197 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not a particularly convincing victory by the Fire IMO, but a win is a win.
Like Perth, they dared the outside shooters to beat them, and those shooters showed why most scouts don't pay them too much respect. Although 3/23 from the perimeter is the type of percentage the Fire would have been dreaming of.

Credit where it's due to Cambage - she played very well, won her battle at both ends, and never spat it. Needs some teammates to step up, and surely they couldn't be that bad again in game 2. I like the Boomers to level this one up.

Reply #666204 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Yeah I'm no cambage fan but she was all business tonight .. shame tonight can’t be the norm rather than the exception

Reply #666211 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cambage stealing the ball after the Fire had stopped playing and getting a couple of shots up against no defence was pretty in line with expectations, really.

Reply #666237 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Liz is such a wanker

Reply #666238 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the League dislike both of these teams. But if the Fire win, it will hopefully result in the WNBL forever refraining from showing such flagrant favouritism to one team (Melbourne Boomers), ever again.

Reply #666245 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cambage stealing the ball after the Fire had stopped playing and getting a couple of shots up against no defence was pretty in line with expectations, really.

I thought that was highly amusing.

Reply #666246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At times during the game Suzy looked like an old woman struggling to keep her balance & spent more time on the floor than the actual floor wipers. It was goood to see that the umpires didn't get caught up rewarding Suzy’s constant whinging for fouls. Go Boomers!

Reply #666267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep, shows her character really, she was looking for the adulation from the crowd,but it backfired big time,nobody but her gave a crap, all it did was confirm what
""Manu Fieldel
Last week
22:49 13 Jan 18

Reply #666238
re: WNBL Grand Finals
Liz is such a wanker""

it was cringe worthy

hope Fire can get it done in two,then we wont have to endure anymore of Boomers Cambage/Conti bombardment, you would think they were the only two players in the entire league its actually got to the point of being a joke thats really not one bit funny. And fully agree the WNBL has been totally one sided in its promotion and ""flagrant favoritism "" of Melbourne Boomers

Donnelly has surprised me too,but she does run hot and cold,shes sort of been running under the radar.

Reply #666284 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She's down the pecking order of a deep team, so it's never easy to be consistent when you're getting random minutes. But both her & Conti have had good impacts off their respective benches IMO. They both play very proactively at both ends, so there's no let-up in energy when they're out there. Need to put some work into their shooting now.

Reply #666292 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I noticed Fire were more than happy stand off and let Conti have that 3-point ping at a vital stage. I don't think she's even hit the rim from there all season.

Reply #666295 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Liz played her best game of the season, she played without whinging or complaining. I'm not a fan of her, but if she played like that every game she would be the poster girl rather than the villain.

Melbourne need to get more from the other four, Jenna,Maddie,Bec and Brittany. A combined score of 30 is extremely poor.

That said, it shows how the semi finals format of AHH was a hinder to the teams that finished above the lower teams.

I feel for Perth as they lost their series against Melbourne. I'm sure that if it was HAH the outcome would be different.

Reply #666298 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

IMO Jenna played great last night - she lead from the front and even though her shooting stats weren't her best she stepped up in other areas of the game. I agree however that Cole, Garrick and Smart really need to step up to win that second game. Why they were jacking up airball threes all night is beyond me, hopefully they get that sorted out before Thursday night.

Reply #666492 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm going to disagree with you Melb Fan, if you look at Purcell stats, apart from the shooting %, nobody is talking about Purcell's game. Purcell had the same stats as Jenna, and Jenna was on the court for an extra 5 minutes.

Jenna only get a pass because of who she is. If you are paying someone the big bucks, they need to perform at this time of the season. 11.8 PPG isn't going to cut.
She didn't get into the top 10 for pionts PPG.

Reply #666507 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Snell & Hurst didn't get in the top 10 for PPG either but they still had fantastic seasons.
It's amazing that some people still can't look past the points column when assessing a player's value.
Jenna wasn't at her best but she still played a solid enough game to get her team a win, as did Purcell. It was their backcourt that was MIA.

Reply #666525 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

When Jenna won the flag with Dandenong she averaged double what she is with Melbourne. Jenna is the one of the back court players. I'm tipping that next game Jenna will have 15 or more points to get a win.

Reply #666543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenna has a different role on Boomers to what she had on Rangers team (Boomers is all about Cambage and Conti), plus shes older now and she is not the player she was in many ways,but shes still a very handy player to have.

I agree with Luuc some people get far too hooked up on the points column, a lot of whats 'good'in a game doesn't even have a column', running the floor, knowing your spacing,timing,talking,defense,decision making, screens, cuts, that extra pass.....the game has so much more to it than simply a points tally. Look at shot selection,percentage,range, its easy to be the highest scorer in a team if its all based around getting you the ball,and its easy to get your rebound count up if your missing most of your shots under the basket and your the tallest one out there rebounding your own missed shot lol

Reply #666559 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Well done Townsville on getting that first win. Puts them in a strong position now even if Melbourne win the next tie.

Reply #666570 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How you are speaking crap, 'Boomers is all about Cambage and Conti",
Conti is on the floor for less than 4 minutes a game.

It might be about Conti in your head. But the whole season is about winning the flag.

Reply #666619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon thinks Damian Martin is the worst player in the NBL and should be cut as can't crack the top 10 scoring list.

Reply #666633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do understand where the poster is coming from. The promotion of Conti ahead of other players by the Boomers and Foxtell is to say the least strange. You are correct she plays very few minutes and yet is promoted in the media as if she is a main player.

Reply #666641 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You forgot to reply to "its all about Conti".

Martin is mostly there for his defense and assists.
They didn't hire Jenna as a defense expert, she's there to score and make plays.
Which she isn't doing.

Reply #666645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Jenna needs to be more productive if she is to be considered a superstar of the league.

Reply #666668 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

From what I observe as a supporter, Jenna is as important and if not more important than Liz in that Boomers lineup. It doesn't matter if she's not setting the stats sheet on fire like Liz can, her leadership and IQ trumps any monetary figure they could pay her and any statistical category you could put on a piece of paper. You see her in games calming down Liz - is there anyone else in that team you've ever seen try and do that? If Liz goes off track without Jenna there, she fouls out = major weakness in their lineup that could be exploited. Even late in the game on Saturday night I think Cole missed the pass to her in what would've been a very very crucial fast break play if it had've been executed. She didn't go on like a brat about it which would be fair enough given the heat in that game and how close it was at the time.

Her IQ is pretty damn good, you can see her directing traffic and plays just about all of the time she's on the court. She sets up that whole team - when she's not on the floor they look quite lost which was highlighted when she was out injured during the season and they had quite a poor stretch of games.

Reply #666684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How you are speaking crap, 'Boomers is all about Cambage and Conti",
Conti is on the floor for less than 4 minutes a game.

It might be about Conti in your head. But the whole season is about winning the flag."

The comment was reflective of how Boomers is all about promoting Cambage and Cruelty not , like they are the second coming

And yes she's barely on the crt but her face is used in almost every advertising campaign , they have done more interviews with Conti than O’Hea

Even LJ made a comment during one of the televised games when her consist stated Conti had been labelled by Justin Nelson as going to be the best athlete Australia has seen, even LJ laughed and said “ well I wouldn’t go that far but she has the potential
to be a good player if she continues to develop”

Meanwhile the likes of O’Hea and the rest who are working their tails off get little to
No recognition

Reply #666689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Liz, Boomers don't even make finals. Liz is MVP of the league.

Reply #666690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti is the Richmond AFL's 5 year plan! Lol

Reply #666691 | Report this post

What the hell  
Years ago

I couldn't resist not replying here.
Jenna has been the PG for the last 5-6 games, ave 10.5 PPG.
If you got that output from Courtney or Sami you would say that they played poorly.
So why is it ok for Jenna?
Calming down Liz is what a captain should do, whether she scores or not.

As far as going of with Cole, here again, keeping her cool, staying calm is what ALL players should do, not just Jenna.

Just so we all know, how many points should she score to say, yeah she played well.

8,10,14,18?

Reply #666692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Without Liz, Boomers don't even make finals. Liz is MVP of the league."

and with liz they scraped into the 4 by 1 game thanks to Novosel going down with an acl and Hodges broken finger
not exactly a ringing endorsement

Reply #666697 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Did anyone notice during the last game that Guy put on Ott, I mean, what is it with that guy Molloy.
Puts on Ott who hasn't played more than 5 minutes for the whole season. What was he expecting Ott to do?

He did stuff like that last season, one time had Kunek off during the last quarter, then when he thought they had a chance of winning puts her back on, but too late.

Just imagine where this team would be without that deadbeat.
And, his there for another 2 years.

Reply #666712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy has been around NBL and WNBL for what seems forever and never won a thing. Yet always finds a head gig somehow.

Reply #666720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy is 2 wins away from a title. Closer then 6 other head coaches this year.

He has done a great job with the Boomers this season.

Reply #666721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that $$$ spent if they don't win his CV gets even worse.

Reply #666723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the idea of criticising a head coach for not winning a title with a low budget team, then also criticising the same head coach with a higher budget team before the finals series is over. Its quite logical and well thought out.

Reply #666726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You missed the point. Dude has a knack for getting employed and being given chance after chance.

Reply #666728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been thinking the same thing. What would make a coach sub a young girl who has hardly played during the season, during a final series and the teams are neck and neck.
The other girls must have looked at each other and said WTF.
He must say to himself " I'll throw in something that the opposition coach wouldn't expect"

He hangs his head on being a "development coach".

Can someone please show me which player has become a better player under his instruction.
There isn't one.

Reply #666729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason his is close to getting a title is not because of him, its because there is a player who can and should dominate.

During game two, Liz should be on for 40 minutes, not subbing her off during the first quarter, as he did during the last game. She wasn't in foul trouble and only played 30 minutes. They might have won that game if it wasn't for him subbing Liz off.

Reply #666730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at that poster defending Molloy. Unbelievable.

Reply #666731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, what was the tactical reason for inserting Ott?
Can some of the Molloy backers inform me. Or, do we just gloss over the post?

Reply #666732 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Can guys that back Molloy please let me know what was he trying to achieve by putting on Ott.

Can't Wait for the answer.

Reply #666733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ott has been ok when she has played minutes this season. She had 8 points in 12 minutes in the regular season game late in the season against Perth.

With Maddie, Brit and Bec not shooting well, it was worth trying her to see if she could provide some impact.

Also, Ott did play under 2 minutes in the game. Its not like Molloy completely changed the rotation and played her 20 minutes + for no reason at all.

On Liz, she fatigues quickly and needs to be rested. When she plays extended minutes she gets cheap fouls or becomes a matador on defense. We saw in game 2 against Perth how dangerous a fresh Liz is in the 4th quarter.

Reply #666735 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Still waiting

Reply #666736 | Report this post

Dr  
Years ago

Jenna played a good game...by normal standards. But when you're a player of her calibre there is an expectation to step up and do what the team needs...the team needed her to score in game 1 and she came up short. Don’t think we’ll see it two games in a row though.
I expect Boomers to win game two - cole, smart and Garrick will be better at home and provide more support in terms of points.
Liz will be Liz, but expect even more points and a business like attitude in game two. Boomers didn’t play well in game 1 (mind you Townsville didn’t have their best game either!) but I think they’ll be much better at home to force game 3. Game 3 could honestly go either way = heaps of pressure on the fire at Home, but also heaps of pressure on a staked Boomers roster.
I also think Jenna will be more aggressive.
In terms of Conti promotion...the WNBL are trying to ride on the coat tails of the AFLW - they couldn’t promote themselves out of a wet paper bag so have jumped on the fact of promoting someone who will also get some true lime light with a bigger sport, they can they say she plays in the WNBL. Some might think this is smart to get a quick win, but how they have not used Jenna and Suzi and Mia and Cayla and Garrick to a degree, who not only front the media brilliantly, but are bloody good players!

Reply #666737 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Liz should / would have been fresh last game, she played 28 minutes, so why didn't she score more than 24 points, oops, forgot got about that last cheap 2 points she got when everyone else stopped playing bar Liz.

Don't buy that Ott nonsense.

Dr, is just about spot on with everything that was posted.

Reply #666740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double Dribble I'm glad you're not the Boomers head coach or have anything to do with any wnbl program as your opinions have very little to do with anything factual.

Reply #666745 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Since winning coach of the year in the wnbl in 1994 Molloy hasn't one one title. If they win the series it won't be down to Guy. It will be due to Liz being the best player in this country.

Reply #666768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double Dribble and co. are correct.

The anon defending him must be a Molloy family member.

Molloy has been around since '89 and still never won a title as head coach :o

Reply #666769 | Report this post

What The Hell  
Years ago

I see that there are other guys who question Molloys coaching
I would have to agree with Double Dribble on Molloy.

That's why Jenna scoring has been poor, she has to create her own shot.

A couple of post have been criticial of Maddie, Brit and Bec jacking up 3's. They weren't that critical when the 3's were dropping in the Perth series. They were all good looks, they just didn't drop.That just happens sometime.

Reply #666780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

''what the hell''.....' couldn't resist not replying here.
Jenna has been the PG for the last 5-6 games, ave 10.5 PPG.
If you got that output from Courtney or Sami you would say that they played poorly.
So why is it ok for Jenna?
Calming down Liz is what a captain should do, whether she scores or not.
'

PGs are not your primary scorers...Jenna is NOT a PG but has been pushed into that role, 10.5 ppg for anyone who has to play in a team thats entire focus is around a bad tempered,arrogant 6'9 lumberjack IMO is good. Especially when you have a coach like Molloy.

Yes as captain its Jennas job to keep her team on track and lead by example...BUT Cambage is not a two yr old who should need soothing whilst she throws a tantrum, shes a grown woman and should be in charge of herself .
Again Molloy shows he has no idea on not only coaching but managing a team

and yes the ONLY reason hes close to getting his first and probably only title is because of the team he bought,he couldn't develop an instant kodak print let alone a player, he stiffles players, look at Kunek, Toddhunter and so many others that have had to endure his system, once they leave they flourish.

Reply #666786 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My take on it is that Jenna is not and has never been a go-to scorer. She's an excellent shooter - world class in fact - with her feet set, but that's it. Get her to put it on the floor and it's her vision & passing that are more likely to hurt you than her scoring. She's also a very good defender. She holds her own in the WNBA against some pretty good athletes.
But to me what she contributes in experience, decision-making and leadership is where her value is to the Boomers.
Sure she is capable of putting up some points on occasions, but I think it's pretty dumb to look at her points column from game 1 and blame her for the loss. She does literally everything else there is to do on the court for Melbourne.

btw I would not be at all surprised if the Boomers won games 2 & 3.

Reply #666805 | Report this post

What The Hell  
Years ago

My point exactly Anonymous, a player like Kunek was stifled by Molloy, micro managed by him.

Since she has left him, she has blossomed into a better player.

You can see that with the current players.

Reply #666808 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

O'Hea was my clear MVP for the final in Perth and that's from watching the game, not the stats columns.

Reply #666825 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Agreed with Luuuc and AshT - many of the things that O'Hea brings to the game aren't measurable on livestats. You just have to watch her play to see that.

On Molloy, I almost feel like he got another contract due to his willingness to go the extra mile when Bulleen handed back their license. He definitely seems very committed to the Boomers and all which is a very admirable trait, but unfortunately that doesn't always correlate to good coaching/people management and getting results. Sometimes he makes very questionable subs at odd times, more so last season than this one though IMO. With someone like Kunek, you could tell as a spectator that she wasn't being properly utilised in that system and in the end I felt a bit sad for her being stifled like that, but it's great that she is flourishing again over at the Lynx.

Perhaps those like Tess Madgen, Garrick, Cole or Smart have improved somewhat under Molloy's reign - but some of that may be more due to them receiving greater roles in his side as opposed to their former sides.

Reply #666834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's easy to tell who watches games and who just looks at top scorer lists

Reply #666836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Jenna taking more shots in Game 2 which is a realisation that she should have taken more in Game 1.

Reply #666844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they took good open shots in game 1 just didn't drop

Reply #666845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"She holds her own in the WNBA against some pretty good athletes.“

She was cut by one of the lower ranked teams in the league.

Reply #666846 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jenna finished 21st in scoring and 7th in MVP voting, so I guess it's not just Hoops posters that recognise her other contributions. Coaches do too.
In Melbourne's best game of the season she had 5 FGA.

Her average FGA this season is 9.5 and she had 11 the other day, which I think was fine. So maybe she'll look to be more aggressive, but I think it would be a mistake for her to try to win the game off her own hand.

Going 3/23 from outside is what killed the Boomers. The Fire will probably dare them again to win it from the perimeter. If they hit a few early ones then it changes the whole complexion of the game. Even though I don't rate them as a great perimeter shooting team, I'd back them to shoot better than 13% in game 2. But if they miss their first few it will be real interesting to see what they do next - whether they hold their nerve and stick to the plan, or try something else.

Reply #666868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #666846

Luuuc is one of the most credible posters here on hoops and going by previous threads has watched a lot of wnba games. If he says a player did ok in the wnba I'd tend to side with him.

Its not easy sticking around on a wnba roster unless you're a LJ, Penny or Liz level. I'd have Erin and Leilani (I don't go as far back as Tully and Sandy) ahead of O'Hea in terms of Australian role players making an impact in the wnba and not many others.

Reply #666879 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Very strange all the O'Hea hate. She's the clear #2 player on that team, clear #1 leader. Even by the livestats. Maybe she is just collateral in the Molloy-angst.

Reply #666885 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You are missing the point, there is no hate re Jenna.
There just needs to be a greater output.
I haven't seen anyone post that she is hopeless, has a bad attitude.

She just needs to preform to the standard that is expected from a player of her ability.

Reply #666893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply 666879

I missed the memo where Luuuc is the only one who can watch and closely follow the WNBA. And generally, players who keep well apace with a league standard aren't cut from low level teams. But what do I know, I don't regularly spend my time posting on hoops.com.au to prove my basketball IQ so therefore I must have not even seen a game of the WNBA. Lol

Reply #666919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are missing the point, there is no hate re Jenna.
There just needs to be a greater output.
I haven't seen anyone post that she is hopeless, has a bad attitude.

She just needs to preform to the standard that is expected from a player of her ability.

One of two things has occurred this season or its a combination of both.
When Ohea returned to the WNBL league I think it was expected that the one who left in her prime and a standout player would be the one that returned but even better after so many years overseas.
The truth though is that shes older,spent most of that time on the bench in the various teams, and yes even cut from the WNBA, and she looked a shadow of her former self if we are all being brutally honest.
Now she may or may not have needed a few weeks/months to find her feet/rhythm ,but in the line up and under Molloy at Boomers where ALL the focus is and has been on big Liz ,she was never going to be the standout player from former years.
so shes either lost her old form , or shes another casualty of the Molloy train wreck, or its a combination of both

shes still a great player that any team would be happy or should be happy to have in the WNBL though

Reply #666929 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There's really no shame in being cut to make room for Sami Whitcomb. And your constant stressing of "low level" WNBA team is kinda reaching too, since even the worst WNBA teams still have talented rosters. Plus of course Seattle aren't a low level team anyway. They were 15-19 and made the playoffs.
Foreigners especially, don't play 6 WNBA seasons unless they can play. You shouldn't have to watch a single game to understand that much.

Reply #666938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"My take on it is that Jenna is not and has never been a go-to scorer. She's an excellent shooter - world class in fact - with her feet set, but that's it. Get her to put it on the floor and it's her vision & passing that are more likely to hurt you than her scoring."

This. Has a great feel for the game and makes teammates better. At the defensive end she does a pretty good job making up for a lack of speed with her smarts too. Shame she's not a little bit bigger because she would make a great stretch/playmaking 4 internationally.

Reply #666939 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Well summed up, paul.

Earier in the season I sat in a frontish pew and watched Palau deliver passes all game long that set up assists to easy baskets, yet there's no stats column for that. A lot like in AFL if you hang around someone like Sam Mitchell a lot then you're own effective disposal rate is bound to look good.

Reply #666940 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ok Boomers, let's take this to a game 3

Reply #667200 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Liz will be Liz

Reply #667202 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gawd the Boomers are so sloppy with the ball. They're a little lucky to still be in this

Reply #667205 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Yeah, what an impact Jenna has had.

Reply #667207 | Report this post

Jeepers Jimmy  
Years ago

Why the hell is Tomlinson on the court. Don't give me shot blocking. Struggles to catch and certainly cant pass.

Reply #667208 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

That 95kg toddler aka Cambage will commit some kind of atrocity at FT if / when the Boomers lose tonight.. it's going to epic, I can just feel it !

Reply #667209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz's punch into Suzi stomach wasn't a good look on TV!

Reply #667211 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha... I agree.

Reply #667212 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That punch from Cambage was a disgrace anyone who thinks she is an asset to this league is kidding themselves. She is just a brat with talent she doesn't deserve, have some class. There is a reason you couldn’t even beat a bearing 40yr old player for the mvp!

Reply #667213 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(Agree with Pickem. Didn't get a good look at that tummy shot)

Reply #667214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne lookin like they couldn't give a toss.

Reply #667218 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They are. This is embarrassing.

Reply #667219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice pep talk Molloy...
Not.

Reply #667220 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good onya Kalani. Kept this thing alive.

Reply #667221 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What a key player Jenna has been.

Reply #667223 | Report this post

Jeepers Jimmy  
Years ago

Molloy has stuffed this - leaving Liz off for 3 minutes in the last. Don't care how stuffed she is , that's a joke.

Reply #667224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman thinking about buying wnbl?

Reply #667225 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

This is the first WNBL game I've watched in about 10 years, and only because I was in the middle of something when the NBL game finished. Pretty entertaining, I have to say. Not sure why Liz isn't force feed in the post every possession, though.

Reply #667226 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

*fed

Reply #667227 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wow. Shitty game, but what a finish

Reply #667228 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fox Sports had 9 seconds on the clock when the Boomers got that last rebound. I'm guessing from the commentary and how the players reacted there was a second at most?

Reply #667229 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To all the guys backing Jenna, her contribution was zero.
How did she contribute to the win?

Reply #667230 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I remember a sequence where one of the commentaries was trying to make assimilar point and O'Hea interrupted by drawing afcharge on Batkovic.

Reply #667231 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That should be commentators, not commentaries.

Reply #667232 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Draw one charge, thats it. LOL

Reply #667233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be only a few players in the wnbl who can actually handle the ball properly.

Reply #667234 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

U wouldn't let Molley coach an under 12 team. No idea what to say to get his team going. Just says the normal stuff all players know.

Reply #667239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy is ruining contis game.

She can easily beat anyone off the dribble, forcing the defense to collapse.
Several open chances to get to the cup.

Reply #667243 | Report this post

Titan 74  
Years ago

Commentary of the game was a disgrace and totally biased towards Melbourne.

Reply #667251 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Anon
Anonymous loser

Reply #667252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #667253 | Report this post

Maybe next game  
Years ago

Anon has a point, Jenna had another extremely poor game. She needs to do something when she on the court.

Two poor games, Melbourne fans will be hoping there is a third.

Reply #667254 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Cambage should be suspended for that jab on Batkovic... but WNBL

Reply #667255 | Report this post

Titan 74  
Years ago

Would the commercial operations manager of an NBL team be allowed to/encouraged to commentate on on NBl final.
Cambage again proved to the viewing public that taking a cheap shot is part of her game. Sigh!

Reply #667256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a brilliant game to be at, awesome atmosphere. When is game 3?

Reply #667257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Guy can't coach.

Liz can't play and is dirty.

O'Hea is the worst player in the league.

Anon is the most accurate poster on hoops.

Reply #667258 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Titan 74
You want the GOAT to not give input.Pickem wants Cambage out of this Earth. When we have two greats amongst others involved in this great game at WNBL level and you both want them gone. Cmon man let's get real here. This game needs players like that for exposure and to challenge other great players to play in this great comp. You would both be complaining in a hurry if this comp was not much better than a Monday night senior team that we couldn’t attract great players. Enjoy the game for what it has offered. Two great finals and an unprecedented third decider. Best of luck to both sides great players in both sides. But I’m pushing for my home side. Go BOOMERS.
MRT.

Reply #667259 | Report this post

Titan 74  
Years ago

All fair points Anon, just watching as an impartial observer and wrote about what I saw hey.
LJ is goat for sure. In my opinion tho she should not be the main commentator ...just does not seem fair to the opposing team ....mate she was more than a little biased ....again just my opinion. As for Liz....I guess to borrow a phrase ....the video does not lie.
Great finish to the game must have been awesome to be watching live at stadium I bet.
Hope the the third game is as exciting to watch .....lets hope both teams get the enthusiasm and excitement from the commentators tho.

Reply #667260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville lost that game as opposed to Boomers winning it. Can't see them losing it at home on Sunday!

Reply #667262 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Both teams really did their best to lose that one I thought. Between Suzy's hot start and Liz's hot finish, there was about 35 minutes of hot mess.

When the Wildcats were down 21 vs Brisbane the other day, I still held a glimmer of hope because I knew the Cats were a tight group and the Bullets had some mental demons, but I really didn't think the experienced Fire would let the Boomers off the hook the way they did in that 3rd quarter tonight. The game seemed so close to being finished. Melbourne looked directionless and out of ideas. Not only were the outside shots still bricking, but this time Liz was ineffective as well. I think I need to watch that 2nd half again with a bit more focus on Townsville, because somehow they managed to just kind of disappear. With the title theirs for the taking they went for 22 points in the 2nd half, and finished the game shooting an awful 32%.

I thought O'Hea's shot selection was near-perfect, but she could not hit a thing. 2-10 from some very good looks. And at the other end, George was even worse with 0-9. Both teams would be pretty disappointed with their "co-star" players.

I already mentioned Kalani Purcell, who I think the Boomers can thank for making any kind of comeback even possible, but well done also to Monique Conti. She is still a limited player, but I have to admire the way she plays the game. She seems immune to the occasion, unlike many of her more experienced teammates. Even the game when Courtney Williams tore her to shreds, she still kept coming back just as hard, seemingly unfazed, every possession. She is mentally tough. Hopefully she gets some work into her jump shot over the off season.

Reply #667265 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Liz's punch into Suzi stomach wasn't a good look on TV!"

I honestly actually think she gave a nipple cripple. Ugly game, refs put the whistles away and made it hard for players to show their skills, but it sure was exciting at the end and great to have a G3.

Reply #667267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly think it was a low blow. Intentional with obvious impact. I don't want to see a suspension but it's definitely worthy of one.

Reply #667271 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When did it happen? I missed it.

Reply #667272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats you just passed WNBL reffing 101

Reply #667283 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Just watching the replay back now, the atmosphere at the stadium was really shown in the telecast.. It was such an intense game to be at - definitely one of the better sporting crowds I've been a part of. The Liz elbow to Suzy's jaw happened at around 5:30 to go in the 1st Q, the gut jab was around 5:10ish to go in the 2nd Q. Her scoring was massive in those last few minutes, it was a phenomenal display, but those two dirty plays put a bit of a dampener on it for mine. I'd be worried if I were Townsville, purely because it seems as if she can lock in when she can see the championship can be won and nothing misses once she's in that zone.

I'll have to agree for the most part on O'Hea's game last night - she certainly wasn't as influential as she was in the first game and needs to stamp her authority on the third game if Melbourne wants to win it.

Purcell was excellent all night and IMO flies under the radar a bit for her role in their side. I do think if she could gain more confidence in her shot, especially when open as she does hesitate quite a bit when left wide open and ends up bricking them, she could become one of the better, more complete players in the league.

Townsville just didn't have their supporting cast show up (admittedly Melbourne's weren't all that flash either, but they got the job done). I suspect that would change when we hit game three at their home court, but they really needed more offensively from the likes of George, Wiese, Murray, Garbin and Mincy.

Reply #667284 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@MeganHustwaite

Massive #WNBL18 news with Liz Cambage referred to the MRP ahead of the deciding Game 3 on Sunday

Reply #667299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ban her!

Reply #667302 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Looks like all the posts that defended Jenna after my post "Jenna is not playing up to her standard" need to say "your right, she is getting paid without producing".

Reply #667310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To protect the integrity of the sport, she should be suspended! Whilst it's a blow to grand final, the integrity is far more important

Reply #667312 | Report this post

I would have to agree with the last post.
The last game should be her last game of basketball.
Liz is a blight on Australian Basketball.

Her mother needs to look herself in the mirror and say "this is my doing"

Reply #667318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looked like a sloppy attempt to bump the cutter. 3 refs had a clear view of it and it wasn't deemed a foul. Not sure how it could warrant a suspension.

Reply #667321 | Report this post

Just keep telling yourself that shit.
Are you trying to convince yourself or the MRP.

Look at it in slow motion, leaves no doubt.

Reply #667324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sorry Guy what did you say? It's really loud in here! Punch the cutter? Is that right? Ok!"

Reply #667325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloppy attempt to bump the cutter with closed fist to the stomach more like it!

Reply #667327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each time you play post defense or bump the cutter you close a fist and use your forearm to impede the player on offense.

Reply #667329 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I've watched it again from all the angles, I still think she's given a pinch to a very sensitive area. Suze wasn't holding her guts, she was up a bit higher.

Reply #667330 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

You could see Suzy say "she punched me" to the refs or her teammates shortly after she got up.

Reply #667332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep it up Melbourne supporters, if this player was on another team you would clearly see that she has no place playing basketball in this country.

You're only defending her to get that championship.
What does Melbourne stand for?
Remind me again "family club"

Reply #667334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any link to the footage of the incident?

Reply #667336 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"You could see Suzy say "she punched me" to the refs or her teammates shortly after she got up."

Possibly, but it could also have been "she pinched me".

Reply #667338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If boomers win with Cambage playing, it will be a championship with such distaste!

Reply #667344 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Possibly, but it could also have been "she pinched me".

True

Reply #667349 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There are multiple angles shown in the video in this article

Liz Cambage cited for hit to Suzy Batkovic

Paul, if she pinched her in that little time then she should retire from basketball and take up a job as The Flash

Reply #667350 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

What she definitely didn't say was "she bumped me when I was cutting"...

Reply #667351 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just thumping the cutter

Reply #667353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the latest Cambage incident of a punch to the stomach is worse than a knee to the back of the leg??? Both had the game play suspended by referee?

Reply #667357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly the game is bigger then what boomers promote.
FAMILY
Cambage will get off.

Reply #667358 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't think this one is worse. It could go either way I reckon. I'm leaning towards thinking she'll escape suspension.

Reply #667359 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Having said that ... considering her recent words in the paper that were effectively a "Fuck You, I'm Outta Here" to the WNBL, they must be kinda tempted to have the last laugh by rubbing her out of her last game.

Reply #667360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop picking on Liz, she just a misunderstood girl.
Yeah Right.

Or should I say misunderstood thug!

Reply #667362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching that replay that was a clear punch to her upper stomach , she is a disgrace to the league and sport in general and after her deliberate taking out of missy bass earlier on, and so many more that she has simply gotten away with because refs don't want her wrath she needs not only a suspension from the next game but a decent size fine, no good banning her as hopefully she won’t be back

Reply #667369 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BA is in a tough position. No Liz, no Melbourne for game 3.

Liz has done herself no favours all season.

Reply #667370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz running around the court yelling "F... Yeah" was as bad as it gets. Some quality people in that team but she just cant help herself. Classless.

Reply #667373 | Report this post

Watch this space  
Years ago

Just wait till race card gets pulled out.

Reply #667383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classless is s good way to describe her

BA won't do jack S , it’s Cambage, the one that yelled abuse directly at the WNBL and BA officials when she was fouled out of the rangers game that was after the Missy Bass saga, next thing she’s untouchable and flagrantly throwing the elbows and pushing players around, this isn’t a talent this is an anger issue , one she likes to play the victim of and Boomers ,LJ in particular pander too. The League need to set a firm example regardless of this being a grand final , what sort of example is she setting by being allowed to Get away with this crap

Reply #667386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Her previous charge was deemed unduly rough play, and her actions to be intentional, with high contact occurring to the body. Precidence would suggest it is judged the same and outcome the same???

Reply #667388 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No suspension.

Reply #667392 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

"Under the current rules, the incident has resulted in Liz Cambage being found guilty of striking Suzy Batkovic with medium force," the WNBL said in a statement.

“This verdict had resulted in a one-game suspension, and Liz Cambage and the Deakin Melbourne Boomers have accepted an early guilty plea which will result in the lesser penalty of a fine, allowing her to play in Game 3 of the Grand Final Series.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/liz-cambage-cited-for-hit-to-suzy-batkovic-during-wnbl-grand-final-between-melbourne-and-townsville/news-story/f1033ab2ffbd1d4b78c34c3acb457aab

Reply #667396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke of a decision.

Reply #667397 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm guessing it's a different system to the AFL where previous indiscretions don't count towards penalty

Reply #667398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to the hostile reception Liz will get in the furnace! It just adds more fuel to the fire!

Reply #667399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What else would you expect from WNBL, they should never have given an "option" it should have been a ban instantly
They make a mockery of the league, gutless wonders , and that disgusting excuse for an athlete is laughing in their faces

Reply #667401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL is so bush league.

Reply #667402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm feeling a lot of love for Liz here.

Reply #667404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cambage admitted during the week that she knew after Round 3 that this would be her last WNBL season for the foreseeable future, saying she'd been constantly left frustrated by the officiating. A stint with the Dallas Wings in the WNBA looms as her next move."

If Dallas have any sense they will get rid of this toxic thug, thos behaviour in the WNBA won’t be tolerated at all, she’s ignored the WNBA since being drafted, too much work for her lazy backside , prefering the big money in China where even there she fell “foul” of the refs who are blind most of the time and the standard leaves a lot to be desired

What a fiasco she has brought into thevWNBL , their so called “poster girl” needs to be on one of those “wanted “posters showing the crim behind bars lol

Reply #667405 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Look, I'm not shocked about that soft response by the league. IMO if it happened during the regular season play, it would get the same 2 down to 1 outcome as the Bass incident. The league has shown they're willing to compromise for the Fox Sports deal and I doubt FS would be too thrilled if she had to miss that third game.

You can clearly see her arms are up, then she moves one down, clenches her fist and then moves it in front of her body so it collects Suzy on her way past. I'd say it deserves a ban, even if it meant my team would lose the GF over it.

Reply #667408 | Report this post

Titan 74  
Years ago

Would not want to be Liz running around in front of the Fire faithful on Sunday night....could this be the first WNBL player to be constantly boo'd throughout a game?
She deserves nothing less.

Reply #667416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly any force whatsoever in this action by Liz, once again Suzy staging with her over the top acting skills. One day we'll see Suzy on Home & Away with these type of sublime acting skills.

Reply #667419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the fine amount match the amount BA are paying Cambage to play in their League?

Reply #667424 | Report this post

halalchampion  
Years ago

Hoops posters whenever Liz is mentioned.

Reply #667426 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

It wasn't just the force, it was the intent. Who else in this league would do that shit.

Reply #667446 | Report this post

"Would not want to be Liz running around in front of the Fire faithful on Sunday night....could this be the first WNBL player to be constantly boo'd throughout a game?
She deserves nothing less."

At the same level Bradtke was when he first returned to Clipsal in Melb colours. That was awesome.

Reply #667550 | Report this post

Spectator is showing his / her age here.
Long time ago.

Reply #667585 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

So...

West Australian newspaper today revealed that, according to what they've been told, 2 players were on $100k+ this season and Courtney Willams WASN'T one of them.

Assume Liz is one, who'd be the second? Would one of the other imports really fetch that much or would it be an Opal like Bishop, or the MVP Suzy?

Reply #667631 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

100k for a 3 month season is pretty damn good, to be honest I would've expected the highest paid players to be getting between 75-85k given the state of the league. Definitely Cambage and maybe one of Taylor, Whitcomb, Batkovic, Bishop or George. I'd say Williams wouldn't have been too far behind that 100k mark though.

Reply #667634 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'd guess O'Hea or Bishop. Could be Suzy because she's certainly worth it, but $100k sounds more like a lure-back-an-Opal salary to me than a retain-a-local salary. (Same reason I doubt it is Whitcomb or Griffin, even though both deserve to be near the top of the list)
Top aussies have always been the top earners. Imports traditionally have been a bit unpredictable in how they perform here, although a known quantity like Asia Taylor would command a good salary too. (or if Courtney Williams was to return next season, she'd likely be looking at a good raise depending on what she was on this season).

I'm purely guessing btw. I know zero facts about any of this season's salaries.

Reply #667636 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Griffin's involvement seems more than just the three months. Whether the club would have the money for her though?

Reply #667637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard on the grapevine O'Hea was one who wanted big big bucks , Rangers turned it down too rich for them , so suspecting its the Bank of Boomers that’s got the two well paid players , don’t think Cambage would get out of bed for less lol

Reply #667640 | Report this post

Weenisoutforobama  
Years ago

This is awesome guessing potential salaries based off what a WA journalist may have heard.

Reply #667643 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

You're right, we really should just go create another Liz-bashing thread because that's the only thing this forum is capable of talking about irt WNBL.

It was an interesting bit of information I thought, we know of the min salary but it's rare to hear just what some of the top players are on. It shows there's at least a couple of teams that are doing well if they can provide such a wage to player(s).

Reply #667811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good to know some teams actually value players and want to pay them a wage appropriate for a full time athlete , shame more don’t do it

Reply #667821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame most can't afford it since spectators and sponsors are so few

Reply #667824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women Working Full-Time in Australia Earn 16% Less Than Men1.
The full-time average weekly earnings for women are $1,369.70, compared to the full-time average earnings for men of $1,631.00.2.
The Workplace Gender Equality Act requires organizations to report whether a gender pay gap analysis has been performed.3.Jun 21, 2017

If you go by these figures and allow 20 weeks because they want pre season plus training leading up the min wage should be way higher than $7,800.
20 weeks at the above rate =$27,380
But if as they try to say "their is no inequality" in sport then that should be changed to $32,620

Netball Australia and AFL meet that minimum wage I think cricket and soccer do also but could be wrong haven't actually checked that one out thoroughly

Reply #667825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$100K for a short season is being overpaid yet someone then goes on a tangent about women being underpaid? Wow, really?

Reply #667827 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I read the The Age newspaper article today by Roy Ward and I must be watching different games to what he does.

Heading the article
"O'Hea leads the way into Finale"

Now come on, just because she orders meals for the two who are getting drug tested, that doesn't translate into winning games.

Last season captain Kunek had a more difficult job, the team were loosing more than they were winning.
Trying to get the group playing as a team.

I tipped that in game two she would take more shots than game one. Well, that didn't happen. There ain't no next game, needs to produce on the scoreboard.

Reply #667829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you had any idea you would know that the majority of players are on a tiny fraction of 100k and not make a fool of yourself like that

Reply #667830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my reply was to #667827

Reply #667831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A business can only pay its employees relative to its turnover. That's reality.

Reply #667839 | Report this post

MrVanillaIceTCube  
Years ago

Scoring hasn't been easy this series.

Cayla George is 5/21 (23%) over the 2 games this series.

Its starting to look/feel like Darcee Garbin is the better player, or at least better in Robin Girl role next to Bat Girl.

Reply #667841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla has had a very disappointing season & goes missing far too easy in big games. Settles too easy for shooting 3's or long 2’s & is allergic to doing any offensive work in the paint.

Reply #667864 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How's that, Jenna has the same shooting % as Cayla,
7/30, 23%, over the last two games.

But I guess she gets a pass because of who she is.
Why is it so?

Reply #667934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenna hater is very persistent

Reply #667939 | Report this post

Blacker_Jesus  
Years ago

Doesn't look like anyone is getting a pass.

George hasn't been mentioned until today. O'Hea has been mentioned quite regularly by yourself on this thread Anon.

Suzy shot 5/20 in the first game.
Murray is 2/15 for the series so far.
Garrick is 5/17 for the series.

Nobody is arguing that O'Hea had a major impact in game 2. There were just differences in opinion on game 1.

Hopefully the scoring opens up for both teams in game 3.

Reply #667946 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Now, now.
No hater here, just being realistic.

Just look at the facts, 23%. Thats not me making them up. Check if you don't believe me.
Not a hater, there is a way to change the figures. Shoot a better %.

How is the last post and this post a hater?

Reply #667949 | Report this post

Blacker_Jesus  
Years ago

6/21 for O'Hea so far in the series. Not the normal % although pretty similar to Batkovic in the 1st game.

Reply #667951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must of missed where anyone gave O'Hea a pass after game 2 please show me

Reply #667961 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A poster has said "Jenna hater is very persistent"

Just stating the obvious about her contribution.

Reply #667963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time is game 3

Reply #667964 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

6pm Qld time. (47 minutes from now ... assuming this Hawks-36ers game doesn't run over time)

Reply #667971 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Something for each I'd like to see tonight. Garbin IN when the game is on the line (sat final 6+ mins Gm2). Purcell & Conti not on court together at same time as much (Fire finding that situation too easy to defend).

Reply #668002 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Not a great sign that Suzy is back in her warm up top after that friendly fire hit from Wiese. Hopefully she's just preparing for half time.

Reply #668022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy: "put the ball in the hole come on!"

Great coaching right there.

Reply #668034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy lol... sums him up perfectly.

Reply #668035 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

So glad Suzy got the last laugh on that B, Liz Cambage. I get the feeling that the only supporter base going for the Boomers is their own. The whole of Australia rejoicing after this win

Reply #668037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under a minute to go. Watch for Lizzys elbows!!

Reply #668038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Fire win? If so yay.

Reply #668039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F**** off out of the WNBL Cambage ;) loser

Reply #668040 | Report this post

Molloy the loser  
Years ago

Molley you are a worst coach in the league.
With the players you had, you suck!!!!!!!!!!!

To the posts that hammered Anon with their facts on Jenna's stats. She was hopeless,
Her % was 21 in the 3 games.

Melbourne supports you have that dick Molloy for another 2 years.

Reply #668041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy is the Gleeson of the WNBL... without the titles
D

Reply #668042 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Beat em in every single quarter. Well done, Fire.

I haven't followed much, but wasn't there a point in the season where they looked done and dusted, and that the dynasty looked over?

Reply #668044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great result. In the MVP and GF.

Reply #668045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw Molloy and Justin Nelson on FoxSport, the two must be proud of screwing that club.

You should have been at last seasons final dinner, it was a love fest between Guy and Justin. Well see what shit goes down this final dinner.

Reply #668046 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

^ what are on about? They just finished runner up for season

Reply #668051 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah right.
Jenna had 3 great games, just about 20%.
To all the posts that shit canned me on her output. I was right.

A non contributor.
Get stuffed.

Reply #668052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy still no titles. What a dud.

Reply #668053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickem, you just don't get it.
With all the talent they have, they lost the grand final series.
That is a fail.

Next season no Liz, thank Christ

Reply #668054 | Report this post

HammyFresh  
Years ago

Well done Fire.

Better team.

Fire dared Melbourne to beat them from 3 and they shot 4/34 from behind the arc on mostly wide open shots.

Reply #668055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

league getting old and we aren't seeing much quality youth coming in.

Donnelly should be ahead of Lavey in the opals rotation also.

Reply #668056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't see any quality coming through because the vast majority of these teams leave their "youth" sitting on the bench all season
No succession planning will see teams falling behind ,
Rangers were a classic example of that this year

Reply #668058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need a youth league like every other code.

Big v, seabl etc don't push these players. Just a ame, little development.

Reply #668060 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

lol anonymous, you do realise that Townsville is even more loaded for talent than Melbourne, right?

Reply #668062 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Well done to the Fire - they certainly showed their experience and class tonight & throughout the season and deserved the title. What a performance by Suzy though, that was amazing to watch!

Anon, I think I'm going to stand by defending O'Hea's first game, but I agree they needed much much more out of her in the final two games in terms of scoring output in particular. She definitely wasn't the only one who had a disappointing finals campaign for mine. Why on earth Liz only had 13 shots tonight is my biggest question, when you've got Garrick and Smart jacking up 17 shots at 23% and 19 at 26% respectively, they needed to run more plays to get Liz some good looks. There were a few in the third and fourth where Liz looked in a good spot but the pass never came.

In terms of where the youth is, look at the NCAA - that is where the majority of that up and coming talent has gone. Said it a few months ago when a similar topic came up, but I think the league should try and be more lucrative to those players so they do stay and develop in the league. Most of the youth that remains here is either not quite up to the standard to command more minutes or too young and thus in a DP spot.

Reply #668067 | Report this post

Do all the Melbourne supports agree with Pickem, coming second isn't a fail?

Reply #668068 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Yes, Townsville are the more loaded roster.

Reply #668069 | Report this post

Titan 74  
Years ago

The atmosphere in Townsville stadium was electric.
Suzy B is a dead set champion and proved in no uncertain terms that she 100% deserved MVP for the season and then played 3 consistently complete games in Grand Finals to be awarded the Racheal Sporn medal ......best player hands down.
Well done Townsville Fire.

Reply #668070 | Report this post

Not the question I asked.
Is coming second a fail mark?

Reply #668071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

probably only 1 senior college player will enter wnbl next season.

Reply #668072 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

No shame in losing to that deep, well coached Townsville team with a Suzy that seems ageless.

I really thought Melbourne would have made a few outside shots in 1 of the 3 games although it wasn't to be.

Reply #668073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next season?

Donnelly/Cocks
Whittle/?
Murray/?
George/Garbin
Batkovic/Aokuso

Wiese/Mincy moved on?
Wilson retired?
Goodchild-College?
Andrews-Portland Pilots

Reply #668075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is this when all the hate for Guy and Justin starts?

Reply #668076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a Melbourne supporter, but Molloy losers games with his subbing and his lack of
Plays. All supporters should be disappointed with how the season has finished.
There is no plus here.
He relied on Liz too much, and when she couldn't deliver, they had zero.
That is down to Molloy. Not the players.

Reply #668080 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Congrats to Suzy & the Fire.
Well summed up by the above poster re. Melbourne's total inability to hit from the perimeter.
When you see O'Hea passing up a wide open three to swing it across to Purcell in the corner, you know she's mentally defeated. Smart & Purcell can definitely hold their heads high after the finals they had though.
Fire's depth & versatility won through, but largely thanks to Suzy being amazing. When you've got a winning option for everyone else to work off, you're always on the front foot. The Boomers were pushing shit up hill all game, and actually I think the scoreline mostly flattered them.

Reply #668085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

668080...... one minute the bloke doesn't let the players " play “"next he doesn’t have plays and goes to biggest in the league that carried to game 3.

Count your titles

Reply #668087 | Report this post

Boomers supporter  
Years ago

Whilst disappointed as a Boomer, it was great to see Suzy B play so well and add weight to the non-selection issue of the last Olympics. Adds to Phillips comments on retirement about her experience at the the Rio Olympics.

Also thought that Liz C played pretty well with limited opportunities- but why have her at high post so often. Actually thought that Conti was the only small who made an effort to set a good screen for her.

To the comments about age (and I agree completely regarding Dandenong)- it may become an even bigger problem with AFL-W. Why stay in basketball and have to play limited or no minutes for a few years? Even the champions didn't play Garbin (and she is 23), who looks like a good prospect, that much.

Just one small comment- does Suzy fend off with her right arm on most of her shots, and would she get away with it in the US?

Reply #668089 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By the way, did anyone have a major problem with the reffing today? I thought it was pretty well officiated, but not everyone agreed

@laurenej15

#WNBL18 #referees #jeez #WhyInAFinal? #fixthis

Reply #668090 | Report this post

Titan 74  
Years ago

Hilarious to me that that particular person would have issues with the refs in tonight's game. Not sure what it is that she found so in need of "fixing"? To me all 3 games seemed to get called in the same way, no punches thrown in game 3 tho.

Reply #668092 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Agree with Boomers Supporter about the defection of young players to AFLW.Chloe Molloy, a Boomers player from last year a classic example.Conti will have to make some decisions about her preferred sport in the next couple of years.

Reply #668093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Suzi! She's a champion! Not sure I agree with just giving young ones opportunities without them deserving or earning it! Today's generation of kids are all about entitlement!

Reply #668094 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I think that LJ tweet was made in relation to Purcell's 4th foul late in the third - the contentious one where it was debatable as to whether she made contact with the ball or Donnelly(?)'s hand.

But I agree, I thought the officiating was consistent throughout the series. They let the girls play, which was great to see.

Reply #668099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Need a youth league like every other code.

Big v, seabl etc don't push these players. Just a ame, little development."

SEABL should be the development league for WNBL, but they fill those sides with the older WNBL players who really should be making room fir the younger ones.
Kelly Wilson prime example stated tonight she would be playing SEABL in two months yet is thinking of retiring, so how is that giving any opportunity for a younger player to gain development
And she won't be on her own there, you will have plenty in their late 20s to early 30s who are either looking at retiring or are just bit players in WNBL Taking up spots that the younger players should be utilising

Reply #668100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to give credit to diamond valley then...
Seabl team is all youth.

Magbegor
Scherf
Wehrung
Gorman
Ayres
Whatman
Gould
Smith
Crupi

Reply #668105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see the makeup of Boomers team next season without Liz? I assume they will replace her with a WNBA calibre centre? Probably need add better shooter aswell?

Reply #668111 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

RE:SEABL being a youth league...
SEABL teams need to provide entertainment to survive, they are semi professional teams that need to make money.
Generally fans don't go to watch bad basketball, they go to watch their team win.
I suggest you keep Kelly Wilson's name out of your mouth unless you know her role with her SEABL team this season.

Reply #668129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly Wilson was an example of someone who really doesnt need SEABL for'development'", it was not a slur on her as a player,but if they dont start putting these younger players who sit on these WNBL benches ahead of these WNBL starters and those ready to retire,if they dont they have nothing when these other players do retire or move to Europe to play to get the money

Reply #668131 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I think there is a fine line re SEABL as these younger players aren't going to develop as quickly if they are purely playing against players of their own age/size - they've had all their junior careers to do that. IMO they need that exposure to the WNBL players with their seasoned bodies and experience at a higher level i.e. some sort of a challenge to help them improve both mentally, physically and at their skill sets.

I think the WNBL players playing SEABL also has to do with our season length and their pay checks. I honestly have no clue how well or poorly SEABL clubs pay their players, but I would assume for many of these WNBL players the opportunity to get paid year round would allow them to focus solely on basketball and not require an additional full time job to support themselves. I just don't think you can expect these players to play 3 months of the year and sit idle for the remainder of the year. Other than SEABL and the state leagues whom have even stricter quotas on WNBL players, there really isn't anywhere else for them to play, with the exception of the lucky few who will get contracts in Europe, the WNBA or Opals camps following their WNBL stint.

Reply #668140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Roy Ward, The Age

"Melbourne Boomers coach Guy Molloy is certain his club will bounce back from the disappointment of losing the WNBL grand final and will make every effort to retain star centre Liz Cambage for next season"

This first signing that Melbourne needs is a new coach.
Out coached in the game, didn't see that every time Townsville scored they played a zone.
When they didn't score they went man.

When you look up hopeless in the dictionary there is a photo of Guy.

Reply #668141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you might think it was terrible coaching for them to miss all those wide open shots but in the timeout it showed him telling them to put the ball in the hole and yet they disobeyed. so what is a coach to do? the players were to blame.

Reply #668144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""I think there is a fine line re SEABL as these younger players aren't going to develop as quickly if they are purely playing against players of their own age/size - they've had all their junior careers to do that. IMO they need that exposure to the WNBL players with their seasoned bodies and experience at a higher level i.e. some sort of a challenge to help them improve both mentally, physically and at their skill sets. ""

to a degree yes but not at the exclusion of being relegated to the benchagain in SEABL, isnt that what the purpose is for them as development/bench players in the WNBL ,they get to train against seasoned bodies and players, some even get a few minutes, so how is it then giving them the opportunity to play SEABL if the majority of the minutes are once again taken up by 'seasoned'bodies, when do these younger (im not talking juniors Im talking you 19/23 yr olds who are good enough to take a spot on a WNBL roster)get their chance to become 'seasoned '"

""I think the WNBL players playing SEABL also has to do with our season length and their pay checks. I honestly have no clue how well or poorly SEABL clubs pay their players, but I would assume for many of these WNBL players the opportunity to get paid year round would allow them to focus solely on basketball and not require an additional full time job to support themselves. I just don't think you can expect these players to play 3 months of the year and sit idle for the remainder of the year. Other than SEABL and the state leagues whom have even stricter quotas on WNBL players, there really isn't anywhere else for them to play, with the exception of the lucky few who will get contracts in Europe, the WNBA or Opals camps following their WNBL stint.""

Valid point but in the long run you wont have anyone coming through the ranks to take their place,these girls will put their focus else where, AWFL/Netball, careers because they cant sit their forever waiting. SEABL needs to bring in some rulings re age limit and player restrictions, and get these younger players opportunities to actually develop enough so they can also find spots on WNBL rosters, not just picking out splinters from their behinds

Reply #668151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was surprised that Boomers didnt try and play zone defence themselves or change their matchup and have Purcell guard Suzi? Suzi plays better against slower bigs like Cambage!

Reply #668160 | Report this post

"SEABL needs to bring in some rulings re age limit and player restriction"

They do. From memory WNBL players that average more than 20 mins are Restricted B (same as an import - Restricted A), and those that average 14 to 20 are restricted C. Only allowed 3 restricted players with no more than 2 A and/or B.

*Minutes may be slightly different, but there are restrictions.

Reply #668167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that dill Joyce didn't take Batkovic to the Olympics.
No wonder he got the boot.

Reply #668172 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

From doing a bit of digging, currently the following WNBL players have signed at SEABL sides:

Adelaide:
Lauren Nicholson - Launceston

Bendigo:
Nadeen Payne, Ash Karaitiana, Kara Tessari, Jessie Rennie (DP), Ahlise Hurst (DP), Maddison Wild (DP) - Bendigo Lady Braves
Ash Spencer - Ballarat

Canberra:
Abbey Wehrung, Ezi Magbegor & Lauren Scherf - DV

Melbourne:
Monique Conti & Peri Kalka (DP) - Melbourne Tigers
Cassidy Gould (DP) - DV
Chelsea D'Angelo (DP) - Kilsyth

Sydney:
Ally Wilson - Launceston

Also worth noting that the rangers SEABL signed Tess Madgen who hasn't played since her ACL injury.

Reply #668179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"SEABL needs to bring in some rulings re age limit and player restriction"

""They do. From memory WNBL players that average more than 20 mins are Restricted B (same as an import - Restricted A), and those that average 14 to 20 are restricted C. Only allowed 3 restricted players with no more than 2 A and/or B.

*Minutes may be slightly different, but there are restrictions.""

unless they have played over 150 games of SEABL with that club then that negates those restrictions

Reply #668188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm reading the WNBL web site and article about
"Huge Season For Boomers Comes To A Close"
Was I watching a different game because in that article it stated

"Jenna O'Hea once again put forward a captain’s game out on the court, helping to settle the Boomers into the match early and was a key playmaker for the Boomers throughout the game with 7pts, 6rbs and 6asts."

She made 1 of 8,she scored 4 of her points at the foul line.
Talk about putting a spin on a story.

As other posts have indicated she was 8/38, 21%

Reply #668317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even by Ohea's own standards, she would admit she a had a shocker of a series.

Reply #668320 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

To be fair, no club is ever going to come out and say their captain (or any player for that matter) had a shocker - they'll always try and put a spin on it or just pretend it never happened. It's not like there were many other players who were screaming out to be mentioned based on their performances over the series. Though in saying that I was surprised to see no mention of Purcell in that article - even though her stats weren't jumping out at you looking at the box scores, her influence was phenomenal throughout, I thought she really stood up when not many others did.

Reply #668339 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Yeah you have to remember most of those articles even if on the WNBL site, are written by the clubs themselves so it would be weird to see the Boomers say something negative about O'Hea.

Reply #668507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Boti's scoop about Chambers coaching in Melbourne next season was off the mark. She just signed with Sydney for 2 more seasons.

Reply #669744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's Journalism at its finest!!

Reply #669760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope his mail on Abby Bishop going to Canberra is better..

Reply #669770 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I've heard that Abby could not play another season under Chris Lucas.

Reply #670210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If rumours are true, Adelaide will have a lot of players not returning??

Reply #670212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't quite o few of those players sign for 2 years?

Reply #670213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlucky for Rangers she would have been a welcome and much needed addition
Be interesting to see just who will get the Rangers job , they surely would take Anderson back on

Reply #670214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't expect Novosel or Hamblin will return to Adelaide either.

Reply #670215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That should read "would NOT take Anderson back on"

Reply #670216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read Chambers will coach Rangers??

Reply #670217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney won that battle, leaves Dandenong in limbo.

Reply #670219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Anderson is on the outs, they didn't get Chambers but will get someone else.

Reply #670236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with Lucas's coaching for Bishop wanting to leave??

Reply #670240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If rangers have missed out on chambers it's pretty slim pickings out there for a half decent coach unless they look overseas or at some of the men’s coaches/assistant coaches

Be very interesting to see just who they do get to replace Anderson

Reply #670461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure Rangers need to panic and replace Anderson after a bad season of injuries. Anderson took the Rangers to a GF only last season.

Reply #670472 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I agree and wouldn't hit the escape button just yet on Anderson. Give her one more year, hopefully the injury gods are kinder to her and her team and see what she can do with a clean bill of health and a bit of a roster clean out. I think she has the potential to have that Cheryl Chambers style rapport with her players, which will eventually lead to success.

Reply #670481 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't see the problem with Anderson either, personally. No idea if there is any credibility to the Chambers -> Dandenong rumour, but if there is then I guess the Rangers see things differently.

The flood-drought-flood season that the Caps had just goes to show how close things were in the league IMO. The Rangers could easily have been very competitive had health & continuity been on their side. (Though I don't think they were going to make the GF ahead of Melbourne or Townsville, so I guess it still would have been a step backwards from 2017. Which to me is as much a product of their recruiting budget as it is the coaching. It's never really a shock when the 2 biggest budget rosters end up in the GF)

Reply #670488 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(that should have been, no idea if there *was* any credibility to the Chambers rumour)

Reply #670489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thiought Chambers wanted to stay home in Melbourne due to family?

Reply #670497 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anderson made finals in her 1st year, Grand Final in her 2nd year and didn't make finals this year due to significant injuries. Overall, I think Anderson has proven herself. Not to mention how many SEABL titles she's won at Rangers.

Reply #670500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson has been outcoached in many important games in her time as wnbl coach. 2 seasons ago in her first final against Stars they stole defeat from the jaws of victory. Then she got outcoached by Chambers in the grand finals the year after and it wasn't even close. Whenever it is crunch time she just plays with her hair and argues with the umpires and thats not going to get it done

Reply #670502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If rangers have missed out on chambers it's pretty slim pickings out there for a half decent coach unless they look overseas or at some of the men's coaches/assistant coaches"

Plenty of good coaches out there. You have coaches who have been in the league like Kereama, Herbert, Buckle as well as coaches who have had success at juniors like the Worlds trio of Seebohm, York and Wrobel. That’s just mentioning a few, surely a few current assistants in the WNBL, not the NBL, are ready and if given the chance

Reply #670518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #670472
re: WNBL Grand Finals
Not sure Rangers need to panic and replace Anderson after a bad season of injuries. Anderson took the Rangers to a GF only last season.

Think you may find it's not just because of the result of this season on court

Reply #670658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert would be a good pick up for Rangers, he's done a great job with Geelong SEABL women

Reply #670669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batkovic 40 points, 16 rebounds in Europe.

Reply #671137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot to mention that it was double overtime.

Reply #671158 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You forgot to mention Kunek had 2 points playing for the opposition in double O.T

Reply #671159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was talking about Kunek?

Reply #671164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched that Batkovic game and she was great, just too big. Kunek I think was played out of position, not her best game.

Reply #671324 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I also watched the game (the LFB website has ALL games streamed there available to watch at any time and I'm assuming it's not geoblocked anywhere either because I could watch it in Aus). Batkovic was phenomenal, especially considering she would've arrived in France sometime during that week so wouldn't have even had a full week of training with her new side. She was definitely too big and too experienced for her opposition, I'd highly recommend watching the game - I thought it was a great contest. I agree on Kunek being played out of position at PF, but IMO did a few nice things defensively. Her team definitely wasn't playing the way the Lynx did, she was open plenty of times which would've been recognised by Perth but not by the French team. I think the player she was the injury replacement for was a center, so I guess that explains why she's being played out of position.

Reply #671394 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754