Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Taipans, Jan 11

The last time these teams played Taipans double dacked the Sixers on their home court. Tonight, with teams at full strength it will be a different story. Jawai is back and this will prove a head ache for the Sixers big men. The key might be as congested as a coal miner's lungs. Sixers now have Moore back on the team and showed everyone last round they are serious about playing finals. I'm excited to see Jawai back, but hope he needs another game to find his full form....

Lose this game and Cairns are in more trouble than Craig McLachlan at a music festival with Harvey Weinstein as his wingman.

Alex Loughton had a shocker against New Zealand last round and while I would normally wish Cam Glidden his success (33/33) at the stripe continues, he is not playing the Wildcats, so let’s hope the number 33 is the jinx he needs at Adelaide Arena. Let him celebrate this milestone with a free burger to all those attending this game. That’s one way to win over the away crowd.

It’s hot in Adelaide today so it could work in the Snakes favour, but I think this game might just see them fall short.

Sixers all the way.

Topic #42488 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lose this game and Cairns are in more trouble than Craig McLachlan at a music festival with Harvey Weinstein as his wingman."

Stick to shit stats.

Reply #665454 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nah, I would prefer to stick to winding up brain dead Perth fans.

Reply #665458 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sixers to win.
Easy money

Reply #665462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"brain dead Perth fans" - intentional tautology Jack ?

Reply #665467 | Report this post

Chevo  
Years ago

come on cairns fuck up 36ers

Reply #665470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously mods on this site need to get rid of this asshole "Cussy" before he destroys this place too

take your massive issues elsewhere d#ckhead

Reply #665472 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

A notable former 36er and Taipan may well be suiting up tonight as well.

Reply #665473 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If both teams are at full strength does that mean Drmic is back?

If Stevie Weigh is playing, then its a Sixers win.

Reply #665479 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

It may be hot in Adelaide, but the humidity's much lower than In FNQ. IMO 30 in Cairns feels like 38-40 in Adelaide.

Who might suit up, Dome Rat? More importantly, will you venturing out amongst the snakes?

Reply #665480 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

Only problem is the humidity in the stadium will probably be 90% due to the AC

Reply #665484 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Interesting I wonder who? Matty Burston?

Maybe Jawai didn't pull up well from the NZ game?

Reply #665485 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Surely not Rupert Sapwell? He's been retired for 14 years.

David Cooper?

Reply #665486 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

UseTaHoop, your statement about Cairns weather v Adelaide's fills me with pride, in the sense that my hometown wins in the battle of 'who has it worse'.

It's a thing we do up there. We compete with each other about who has it worst. "Oh you have a hard luck story? Well boyo let me tell you how bad I got it."

Reply #665489 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Maybe it's "renowned talent developer" Rashad Tucker who has Jawai as one of his "proteges" apparently.

"A lot of people do not understand how much work Nate and I put in together that first season," Tucker said.

“Nate used his strength a lot when he was younger and we always worked on finesse, his mid-range jump shot and passing because that strength can only get you so far.”

That half a season he put in before being sacked was obviously a pretty busy one!

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/nbl-star-and-renowned-talent-developer-rashad-tuckers-protgs-go-headtohead/news-story/a212b4470b18cd75ae2cfb8bd0aba054

Reply #665492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tucker never played for the 36ers though.

Brad Davidson?

Reply #665494 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu

You may claim that "my hometown wins in the battle of 'who has it worse'."

BUT Adelaide wins that one. It's the English heritage. My mother was a “10 pound Pom”. Weather-wise, migrating from Yorkshire to an Adelaide summer living in the “tin huts” of the migrant centre at Gepps Cross is worse than Cairns. Of course, I’ve only gone to Cairns in July and August, to escape the terrible cold we have on the Qld/NSW border.

Also, no one out weather-whinges the Poms. There are certain suburbs in Adelaide you can’t visit without a passport and a British Airways ticket.

Before anyone bashes me with their keyboard, I used to live in the north of Adelaide (in a certain suburb the govt chose to re-name, cause that fixes everything of course).

Reply #665520 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Davoren Park? Or should that be Staboren Park?

Reply #665524 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Think of our current monarch.

"Westside bro."

Jimmy Barnes lived on the same road as us. He was upmarket though. Salisbury.

Reply #665530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing like watching the Sixers lose

Reply #665532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets go taipans let's go

Reply #665533 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

I do try to like Sobey but he really comes across as a little bitch sometimes.

Reply #665534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious heat in this. Tensions running high.

Reply #665535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns you are losing your integeity with this style of game. Lets hope the refs tech them and clean it up so we can get back to basketball. Weeks channelling the Leyland brothers... can't bring myslef to like him. Cairns were a respectful team but their attitude tonight stinks..

Reply #665536 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

TURN THE MUSIC DOWN PLEASE!!!

Reply #665537 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Refs are carrying us tonight

Reply #665540 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

12 fouls cheating pr!cks....

Reply #665541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15-4 free throws, home cooking at its best.

Reply #665542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 free throw attempts to 4 in 1Q. Adelaide always get significantly more FTA when they play at home

Reply #665543 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

That's what i call Home Cooking!

Reply #665544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flop warning on Teys !!! WT get that ref off, he has been atrocious tonight. Cairns unsuccessfully trying to channel Perth. Happy to see Adelaide stock to their own game. Cairns foul countnis their own doing.

Reply #665545 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Amazing 2 fouls now in 7 mins after win secured.

Reply #665546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne needs to learn to stop sludging it

Reply #665547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide chokers getting all the home cooking

Reply #665549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What calls do you see as favouring Adelaide?

I see disparity in the way off the ball pushing is called against the away team, but not against Adelaide. I don't see such disparity for on ball decisions.

Reply #665550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay on the bench Sobey.

Reply #665551 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Mrs Teys delivers in the delivery room and Mr Teys delivers on the court.

Reply #665552 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Teys plays steady minutes and contributes.

Pisses me off so hard how people constantly write him off.

He's hungry, defensively smart and has a nice 3. He was clutch in 2014 season
Love seeing him play bigger minutes

Reply #665553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns lost competitiveness when they got rid of Careera. If they had a buford, konger type instead of Evans they would be a far bigger threat.

Reply #665554 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Cairns can shoot the 3! But man are they shit at everything else.

Reply #665555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO, Shorter should be ejected for that push in the back. That was a deliberate attack on a player. Not related to basketball at all.

Reply #665556 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Cairns need to shoot more 3's. Worked for the first 3 quarters.

Reply #665557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was just weak by Shorter. He wanted to line Loughton up but he waited until he could push him from behind.

Reply #665560 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

No finals for Cairns this year. Oh well. Netter luck next year.

Reply #665561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns need a point guard, Weeks and Scoochie not good enough.

Reply #665562 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Cairns look better when their imports are on the bench.

Reply #665563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Fearne be reupped?

Reply #665564 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Good win. Cairns did very well to stay in touch and showed a lot of fight. 3 point shooting in the first half was another level. Like how many weapons Adelaide has though. Tough matchups.

Reply #665566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free throw count 34 to 18.

Reply #665567 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Thats what happens when one team runs and penetrates and the other bombs 3s.

Reply #665569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm. Cairns make the 6ers look good.

Reply #665570 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They've dropped 4 games to Melbourne yet still have 12 wins along with the other top 4 teams. Looking pretty good at the moment too.

Reply #665571 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Come to think of it they had Creek, Moore and Drmic out injured when they dropped that last game to Cairns too.

Reply #665572 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I didn't get to watch this one. How did Nate look?

'Impressive' effort for Steven Weigh to finish with a -20 in less than 10 minutes.

Reply #665581 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Did Weigh even play? Wow, hat was a devastating contribution to not even notice he was there.

Jawai had one good pass, failed to score in the low post several times on people half his size, and defended the paint from slashing Sixers in only a slightly more mobile fashion than a statue. He bricked a couple of free throws he didn't deserve and split a couple that he did deserve, for one point on the night.

I would say it was pretty forgettable.

Reply #665590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought mixed signs from Nate. He was dominant and skillful in the paint, and passed well out of double teams. Still a bit slow in transition and rotations. Missed some free throws. Several times Cairns made errors late in the clock, including Nate. A few times players should have been looking to score, rather than involve others in a play. He still caused Adelaide issues when Cairns ran their half court offence.

Reply #665591 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Oh, I forgot - Jawai was also 90% responsible for 2 shot clock violations with late bail out passes from the post.

He is still big but I would say he looked more than a little rusty.

Reply #665592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, big but a bit too slow to match Adelaide, and rusty. Still I thought some positives on his return.

Reply #665594 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Major Deng

Has his rebounding improved this season?

I don't remember him getting many boards last season, but his last couple of games he’s getting boards.

From footage I’ve seen he looks to have a good sense of where the ball is headed, and uses his wingspan to his advantage in rebounding contests. Last season he looked as though he thought he didn’t have a role on the glass, now he seems to go for more rebounding contests.

I know his court time has gone up lately, so no use in looking at total boards per game.

Maybe rebounds per minute played would show this???

Reply #665597 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Majok Deng, obv. Stupid auto co-wreck.

Reply #665598 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good games from those heavily criticised players in Shorter and Teys in early stages and under pressure times.
Dont know where Sobey was but certainly did not turn up to play.
Childress had ordinary game but if decides to go to basket certainly does it easy.
Moore has been great cheaper import and plays good PG if required .
We still are very suspect to good 3 point shooting but at least got a bit better to cover it when needed.
With decent imports and fit Nate cairns could be good team.
How many free tickets do we give to AFL footy players with bunch of Crows again and few Power.
Its not like they can't afford a ticket with their salaries.

Reply #665599 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

why you assuming tickets were free for Crows players?

but really, who cares. Having their support is good and good for the brand.

Reply #665632 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whether you care or not is up to you ,but they have been sitting special courtside
seats and very very obvious they are freebies.
Then I guess facts don't come into when trolling.

Reply #665639 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Perhaps goodwill is worth more to the Sixers than the price of the tickets?

Reply #665640 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Moore the league's best sixth man
Deng pretty popular around the place
Some memories of the weigh-clarke era watching cns..

Reply #665656 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

So what exactly is the problem with the football guys sitting courtside? Am I missing something?

Reply #665677 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Overdone with music. I felt like I was at Friday RNB and some weirdass music festival that never stops.
The issue here is, last game, seldom music played. Then this game at every turn, there is music and its LOUD!

To the dropkick who plays with the volume. Come sit in my seat, and lets see if you can bear it. I'm an avid aircraft spotter and love the noise, but seriously blasting music down isn't cool nor is Allen Brown yelling into the mic.

Game wise, one thing I noted, foul count at the end of the first quarter was stupid. 11 to 5. Then the second, they only had 5 fouls up until the last 2 mins. Some games its aggressive and high foul count, then others they let them play. Too hard to work out

Reply #665704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754