Udog
Years ago

Adelaide 3 point shooting

People keep saying Adelaide need to shoot more 3's but they've led the league in scoring average the last few years and have won more games than any team in the past few seasons. The fast game they play where they force defenders to defend quick, aggressive offence in and around the key usually gets the opposition team into foul trouble (and amounts to plenty of free throws). They have at least 8 guys who can top the scoring on a given night as well. Do they really need to score more 3's?

Topic #42494 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

Did you answer your own question before asking it?

Reply #665604 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

We'll find out when other people post their opinions. That's how this works. It's a discussion forum. People differ in their opinions.

Reply #665607 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide probably need the 3 for when the well dries up down low/when the fast game is cut off.

Adelaide have found droughts during periods when their defensive effort stops and they no longer force those turnovers, making them slower up the floor having to go through sets and usually turning it over with some lazy passes.

During that period it's important they find ways to score with the classic drive, draw the D, pass and 3.

That's if we're talking playoff ball against the very best ie. Perth, NZ, Melbourne.

With that said, we know Johnson can knock it down - although to be honest as I have said previously we are in a much better place when Johnson is driving to the basket and using his athleticism with his big body to force fouls.

Drmic back provides a strong three point shooter and another good rebound/defender; and if Sobey turns up at some point between now and playoffs, Adelaide could really turn it up.

Reply #665608 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think if they were a little better at shooting them they would prevent those dry spells they always seem to have, plus it would keep the lanes open so they could continue to do what they do best and that's attack the rim.

A 3 at the right time often either stops the bleeding or breaks the back of the opponent.

I think this is the only thing preventing Adelaide from being a Championship threat.

Reply #665609 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Completely agree Tornado

Reply #665616 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Mr Deng seems to be stepping up at the right time then. What's Teys % this year? He was certainly switched on last night.

Reply #665624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why shoot the three, when they can get to the three throw line seemingly every time they go to the cup?

Reply #665625 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It's good game plan and they're hard to defend so that's a good point but the previous posters had some good points as to why the 3 point shot can help.

Reply #665627 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The last game they played against Brisbane the refs stopped calling those fouls and it allowed Brisbane to come back.

Reply #665628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're 1st in points for (third worst in points against). 1st in turnovers. 1st by some margin in FTA, playing that penetrating game.

Last by almost 3% in 3P%, so obviously playing to their strength in dodging it. Only Brisbane attempt fewer threes. Cairns and Melbourne attempt around 10 more threes a game than Brisbane!

I think I'd like their chances more if they had the three is a viable threat. Seems like a healthy thing to have a good spread of options, to be able to break open games or reel in a lead, etc.

As for shooters:
Moore 47%
Drmic 43%
Deng 42%

Sobey putting up too many for 32%. Same with Childress at 19% .

Reply #665629 | Report this post

Hoops123  
Years ago

The 3 ball stretches the floor, allowing for easier penetration, thus creating more options and putting pressure on the defence overall. Finals ball might see them struggling to get to the rack and without shooting to help stretch the court it might be difficult for them to get looks.
Deng and Teys have helped in this area, and as someone mentioned obviously Drmic was a major factor there. Sobey has been inconsistent all season and hasn't been able to find his groove, but hopefully that is still yet to come.
I think Adelaide are awesome, but definitely let down in the shooting area a bit.

Reply #665630 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Shorter shot confidently against Cairns and hit at a good clip. If that carries on then the options are increasing from beyond the 3 point line.

Reply #665633 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Teams will be less likely to sit in a zone if you've got decent 3 point shooting. Adelaide has struggled against zone defence.

Reply #665634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 3 ball stretches the floor and allows penetration , how do Adelaide do what they do?

Reply #665655 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Too many threats for opposition teams to switch to I guess. Even the big guys can shoot and move quickly.

Reply #665678 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

At 3 quarter time in the game vs the wildcats, I posted that our lack of 3 point shooting was an issue and was one thing that had me doubting that we can win it this year. Then Deng came out in the last quarter and went bananas and then continued that against Brisbane while Teys stepped up from the perimeter last night. With Drimic coming back and also Shorter's 3 point shot starting to look better, the last few games has made my comments start to look flat out wrong. However I still think it could be an issue and agree with others this is most likely to be the case against the better teams in the playoffs against whom we are less likely to generate run from our defence and who themselves play better D in stopping us getting to the rack. However, it only takes one guy like Deng, Teys, Drimic to heat up in to solve this issue and that is what has happened of late and we are winning games as a result.

Interesting Isaac that Moore is shooting the 3 at 47%. Obviously he doesn’t take a lot and his game is centered around attacking the rim but to shoot at that clip shows it’s definitely there for him even though you wouldn’t really classify him as a reliable 3 point shooter.

Reply #665689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754