Anonymous
Years ago

No NBA in Australia - EVER

Well it looks over for those dreaming of seeing and NBA game in Australia according to NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/nba-chief-adam-silver-rules-out-matches-in-australia-20180111-h0h4v4.html

Topic #42501 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

My bet is we eventually see something similar to africa and they stage a game in the off-season of australians vs a selection of nna players.

Reply #665927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in near future does not mean not ever

Reply #665933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read the article.

Reply #665935 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

Adam Silver is the worst commissioner ever, hate the guy.

Reply #665938 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt LK bothers to send NBL teams over there for pre-season games again.

Reply #665943 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I doubt LK bothers to send NBL teams over there for pre-season games again."

Are you serious? It is still the very best platform for the league regardless of whether there's a game down here or not.

As for Silver not bringing a game down here, if fans had the nerve to boycott NBA league pass and get their games through other means, I bet suddenly he'd find the money. We are second in the world for league pass subscriptions and I bet that money would easily account for the airfare of at least a single team.

Reply #665944 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Genuine question

Is that total league pass subscriptions or per capita?

With such a small population, these sorts of figures are usually per capita. I once saw an Olympics medal tally expressed per capita. Australia wrere world beaters.

If it's total subscriptions in a country, the market penetration of the product would be regarded as phenomenal.

Even if per capita, it gives weight to greater tie-ins with NBA.

#punchingabove our weight

Reply #665947 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Are you serious? It is still the very best platform for the league regardless of whether there's a game down here or not.

LK has said that's why he was doing it. Why bother to spend all those millions sending teams over? It didn't and never will legitimise the NBL in the eyes of NBA fanboys here.

Personally I'd much rather all that money spent here on the NBL but that's up to LK.

Reply #665951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has said they will only send one team next year.

Reply #665964 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just on sheer distance alone it makes very little sense for the NBA to play a real game down here.
Revisit the issue in another decade once Elon Musk has got his space planes getting from USA to oz in an hour.

Reply #665971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said not in the near future, so 'ever' is a possibility but far from a certainty.

I actually think in reading his comments and justification that it's not that hard to see it happening. He made the point that in order to get the London game to happen, they had to stop playing in the US about 5 days prior to taking the court in the UK. So if they did the same thing as the MLB and sent teams here to open the season, you remove that concern about time out on at least one side of the schedule. You could also increase the ROI by sending three teams and having them play a round-robin so each team gets two games out of the way while they're on the ground here.

Because we're ahead, time-wise, it's not totally outrageous, logistically speaking. Fly in on the 27th of September, play 1 game on the 1st of October (which would be the first game of the regular season by at least 14 hours), 1 game on the 3rd of October and the final game on the 4th of October. 1 team could depart following their game on the 3rd, having 2 regular season games under their belt, and being home by the 3rd of October anyway. Then don't make them play again until the 7th. The other two teams get home on the 4th, play their third game for the season on the 8th. No question it would be expensive for them but it's not logistically impossible, especially since there are 4 California teams you could choose from to make the trip.

Reply #665972 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

The reason Australia has the highest nba league pass - other countries get nba for free.

Reply #665976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 14 countries have the NBA for free, hardly a reason for why we have the 2nd most subscriptions.

Here's a list of them...
The United States
Dominican Republic
Nicaragua
Czech Republic
Denmark
Germany
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
China
Indonesia
Mongolia
The Philippines
Thailand
New Zealand

Reply #665985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #665986 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

ME it's not about money, it's about distance.

Reply #665988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for Silver not bringing a game down here, if fans had the nerve to boycott NBA league pass and get their games through other means, I bet suddenly he'd find the money."

Not a chance unfortunately. There is only chicken feed to be had in Australia with our small population and isolation from big population centres. League Pass brings in bugger all for the NBA, it's more about fan engagement than revenue.

Reply #665994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seemed that he was talking about a regular season game rather than a pre-season game, which I think would've been about the limits of our chances.

For anyone too lazy to read the article:

"Our players are increasingly travelling in the summers, doing camps, doing clinics, doing appearances," he said.

"It may be that we look to maybe create some other types of events.

"I don't want to over-promise and suggest that we're going to get to Australia all that soon with a game.

"But I would love to do it, and in a way I would love to reward the system you have in Australia for producing so many great players. I'm not ruling it out, but it's probably not going to happen in the near future."

Reply #666009 | Report this post

Pisso  
Years ago

NBA boring. No defence.

Reply #666023 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Surely Canada gets nba games for free? At least raptors?

Reply #666043 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

So is Australia 2nd in total subscriptions, or 2nd in subscriptions per capita.

Someone's gotta know.

Reply #666149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only went to Africa because the players are "African Americans “ it was a black thing.

They aren't doing an exhibition game down here like that as it isn’t a “thing" and we arent a big enough market to make it worthwhile

Reply #666156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why did they just play in London if its a "black thing"?

Reply #666168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada doesn't officially have FTA NBA but a lot of Canadian cities are near the US border so get TV stations from boarder towns in the US, for example Toronto is under 100km away from Buffalo, New York, so Toronto can get the ABC affiliate from across the border in Buffalo (WKBW-TV) to watch the games on FTA in the US.

This however doesn't give them access to Raptors games which are only on pay tv unless ABC shows their games in the US (which is rare).

Reply #666227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongly doubt boycotting league pass would get NBA here. Just a tiny drop in the bucket, it's not about money,their petty cash would buy the league. Players are on the road non stop and having to spend all that time in the air for a few games is inefficient. Be like sending afl over during season and teams playing the next week back. They struggle to handle trip to west coast.
Best we can hope for is some preseason games, Bucks and Spurs would be prime candidates, along with Jazz maybe before Exum is not resigned.

Reply #666241 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I boycotted it this year ESPN has done a great job this year didn't feel the need.

Reply #666261 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Australia does get all nba games for free. Its called reddit.

Reply #666286 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

It's all about the growth possibilities and not the $$ required to send a team or the distance to come to Australia. They'll send a game to China before Australia due to the much larger market size and potential for growth there.

Reply #666291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, is this what it feels like to be a Tasmanian footy fan?

Reply #666306 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

NBa just needs to do it at the start of the season like mlb dud

Reply #666310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754