sawmeinhalf
Years ago

Mike Kelly comes out of retirement

I think Roger Ramjet will need a proton energy pill after (probably) no pre-season to make any impact.

As reported on NBL.com.au

Recently retired veteran Mike Kelly has answered an SOS from the Wollongong Hawks and will suit up for the team in place of the injured Andrew Rice according to 'The Australian' newspaper.

The 37-year-old Kelly retired in the off-season after helping Wollongong to the 2005 Grand Final series and had moved to a bench role with the Hawks.

A broken bone in Rice's foot however changed his plans according to The Australian's Peter Kogoy and Kelly answered the call from Hawks coach Brendan Joyce for Thursday's game against the New Zealand Breakers.

"This opportunity of me playing again only came up after Andrew (Rice) got hurt," Kelly said.

"I don't think I'm in any kind of great shape (physically) but I think I can still contribute to the team."

Topic #4251 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Surely they would be better off promoting one of their development players? (Or find a legitimate replacement) - Whats Axel Dench up to these days?

Reply #49370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Axel is back in Portugal

Reply #49383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Axel Dench is in Portugal I think, and another in the ITBJIAW club (thats the I Think Brendan Joyce Is A Wanker Club).
A fastly growing club made up of general Hawk haters and an evergrowing ex-player group who have been wronged by him.
Funnily enough Kelly falls into that last category.

Reply #49384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754