LC
Years ago

Could the NBA be Ryan Broekhoff’s next stop?

Australian Boomer Ryan Broekhoff, has been making good of his basketball journey in Europe so far. Could the NBA finally be the Victorian's next step, following a terrific European career?

Could the NBA be Ryan Broekhoff’s next stop?

He has taken a similar path in Europe to date as Joe Ingles did before him.

Topic #42523 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he stops over to watch a game on his way back home from Europe

Reply #666739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it can certainly be.

Reply #666759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, Correct me if I'm wrong but these are the differences I see in Ingles and Broekhoff's games:

Shooting: Ingles, very good, Broekhoff, very good.

Passing: Ingles, very good, Broekhoff, average

Ball handling: Ingles, very good, Broekhoff, average

Defence: Ingles, good, Broekhoff, OK

Don't get me wrong, I love Rowdy's game but does his game translate well to the NBA?

I know NBA teams have shown interest in the past but how many are showing genuine interest this year?

Reply #666810 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A fair comparison, however you also forgot to add rebounding as a comparison.

Rebounding: Ingles, ok, Broekhoff, very good

Interest has been there, but it has been a risk for him to move to date as he is a starter and on good coin in Europe. He can definitely add value for the right team and scenario.

Reply #666869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of money would Broekoff be on in Europe, what's he losing by trying out for NBA.

Reply #666880 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Great shooter who has made a good euro career on back of his Euro passport. Creek Sobey and others better players and bigger upside. NBL much better than most appreciate. VTB not great - look at his stats.

Reply #666900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff isn't close to NBA standard from what I've seen. Ingles is an elite playmaker.

Reply #666907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*NBL

Reply #666922 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Broekhoff and Ingles are different players. The only comparison is the route they have taken.

VTB United League has some very good teams, and some less than NBL standard teams. The very good are elite like Lokomotiv and CSKA Moscow - the top 5 or so teams.

His numbers against the better teams are elite. His numbers in EuroCup are excellent.

Reply #666981 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Never in a million years did I expect Ingles would be a good individual defender in the NBA. I just don't think the gulf is as massive as it seems, and opportunity plays a huge role. If not for Exum, would Ingles have ever made a regular season roster? I doubt it.

Reply #666995 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Jazz stole him from clips who were set to add him to their roster so the answer is yes

Reply #667014 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

In a watered down 30 team NBA it is possible.

Reply #667016 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Clippers waived Ingles and the Jazz claimed off the waiver wire a few days later.

Reply #667020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles got a bit lucky with timing, too. The value teams placed on his IQ/playmaking when he entered the league was totally different than a few years beforehand. He's on a different plane than Broekhoff in that regard.

I do think Broekhoff could be useful in the right situation in the NBA, but there are more and more guys in Europe of whom that's true. The suggestion that Creek and Sobey are better than Broekhoff is pretty funny, though. That's not a contest.

Reply #667021 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sobey, no. The way Creek is progressing I don't think he's in the funny category anymore though.

Reply #667022 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sobey is overrated.
Creek has a chance though

Reply #667023 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Broekhoff was in the NBL he wouldn't be the dominant force Creek is. He is a complementary player, and that's what gives him a decent chance of cracking the NBA, you can put him on the court and he'll just unobtrusively do his job.

Creek's ability to defend multiple positions and rebound will also give him a chance. So many players around the world could play NBA in the right situation though, the trick is actually getting the chance to show it.

Reply #667055 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If Creek shot more from range at the percentage he does he would be on an NBA roster I'm sure. He has the tools and ability but it would make him a more attractive prospect if he was considered a threat from range.

Reply #667057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754