Isaac
Years ago

How Cavs, Spurs handled trade demands by stars is worlds apart

Many would've heard the Pop/Aldridge story already, but it's interesting seeing it contrasted against the Cavs and Irving:

During the offseason, the second-best player on a championship contender went to management and requested a trade. Despite being on one of the league's best teams and playing alongside one of the league's best players, he said he wasn't enjoying himself. He wasn't happy with his role in the offense. The team knew he was unhappy but was stunned he was this unhappy.

This is the story of Kyrie Irving, and the story of LaMarcus Aldridge.

Their cases and circumstances were different, of course. But the most relevant difference may have been how their franchises reacted. Specifically, how the organizational stability with the San Antonio Spurs allowed them to manage their unpleasant development. The Cleveland Cavaliers, meanwhile, were forced to deal with their curveball during a management shake-up, which likely limited their options.
Full story on ESPN

Topic #42531 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Kyrie wanted to be The Man on a team. Cleveland didn't have the option to offer him what he wants. Their hand was forced.
SAS just had to go back to using LA the way he's played for his entire career. An adjustment that wasn't particularly hard to make.
If it was as simple as saying to Kyrie "you're our number 1 now", they would have. But they have a bloke called LeBron James who probably would have had a little bit of an issue with them doing that.

Reply #666943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Hendo you'll never actually know if LeBron would've played second fiddle because Kyrie had a hissy fit which made it untenable for him in Cleveland instead of speaking to management to try and work through a solution like an adult.

Reply #666968 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I follow the Cavs and LeBron is my favourite player of all time, but at this stage of his career even I have to say that he must be a real buzz kill to play with if you're a talent like Kyrie. I was more critical of Kyrie than most Cavs fans, but looking at how he is doing under a great coach... well... I mean, replace Lue with Stevens last year and I'm still not sure it makes a difference in Cleveland with the personality and amount of pull that LeBron has.

Reply #666992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754