Hogwash
Years ago

NBL Retirees 2018

A few players on the wrong side of 30 (Perth alone has 5).

Who do you guys think will hang up their boots at conclusion of this season?

Forman, Loughton, Andersen maybe a few that could retire.

Topic #42534 | Report this topic

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Barlow possibly
Vukona possibly
Petrie possibly

Reply #666956 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Vukona has plenty left in the tank.

Oscar Forman and Reece Martin need to retire

Reply #666957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide, hopefully.

Reply #666958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain Anderson or Barlow would want to retire, if they can stay healthy still bring a lot, certainly to a team that needs a bit of experience as late bench players, homicide been great.

Reply #666962 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney almost there? Loughton has had a resurgence so doubt he'll call time.

Martin is 31 and playing reasonably well at the moment. Doubt he'll rush to retire whatever the haters think.

Teys isn't that old, but I wondered if he might get pushed out if the 36ers keep all their SG/SFs and want to add support at another position.

Reply #666963 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

I honestly wonder how much longer Jawai can keep playing.

Reply #666964 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Garlepp is 31 but unlikely to go to another team after Sydney imo

Reply #666966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp won't get another gig after the farce in Sydney this season

Reply #666969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For some, it will depend on the prospect of new teams entering the league. Or not, if some join as others fold. Suspect there might be some "phone stops ringing" retirements.

Reply #666971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire to go also? Loughton looking great this season so I can't see him going anywhere.

Reply #667004 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Kenny is one example of someone who probably won't get any phone calls from other clubs.

Reply #667006 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

For me sure things are:

Barlow, Penney, Forman and Petrie are done. Andersen is a maybe, Loughton will surely go on after the year he has had. An outside chance for me is Childress, I love JC but age and he definitely does not need the $.

I think Stephen Weigh may be in trouble, I predict Teys days in the NBL are about to be over also. Garlepp may catch on somewhere but wont be shocked if he doesnt.

Reply #667027 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Would swap Hire for Garlepp in a heartbeat

Reply #667036 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Childress is still playing at a high level. He's still got 3-4 years in him - he's the same age as Lebron, not like he's 40

Reply #667043 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If Childress cuts his hair he'd lose about 10kg. Much easier on the knees and back when you lose weight. He'd be able to go on even longer.

Reply #667045 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Vukona looks done from what I've seen this year. Showing less quality and ramping up his niggly, underhanded stuff.

Reply #667046 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I haven't seen too many Breakers games this season, but from what I HAVE seen, Mika still looks to have a few seasons left in him... he's still got the hustle in him and that's a core part of his skillset... It's not like he's been a knock down shooter all his career and then has to get used to a changing role... Still fit and made to last for sure... Not like he's a Pero Cameron size either, can still get up and down the court...

Penney though would look to be done and his retirement would come down to whether or not there's a spot in the Breakers front office for him to transition into or not...

Last season I would have said this would have been Loughton's last, but it's like he's had a revitalisation and is playing great... He'd be a year-to-year prospect at this age, but he'll be back for sure...

Nate has another season to go, and if I recall the Taipans had some help getting the funds for his deal? I really don't know how long they can keep him on board though... I know he's a great member of the team and awesome for the community, but if they've got so much money tied up in him that could otherwise be used to afford that next level import to help the Taipans be that legit top 4 contender, would that be best?

Not sure about the Hawks situation... Oscar cracked the big number this season, but seems to not be used as much this season and maybe it's time? Rhys seems a bit slower but can still provide a solid contribution if they can keep Norton in the starting spot next season, but with al but AJ being free agents, they'll have their work cut out for them, especially if Bevo gets a better coaching offer and is more sick of Spenceley's shit than he lets on publicly...

Garlepp won't be back at the Kings next season but I think he could still contribute to another team, quite possibly filling Oscar's spot down the freeway... am sure he'd love to be closer to his in-laws *cough* and he'd be out to make a point that he's still got it... Again, not really that old, still fit, reliable jumper (from memory, it's been a while!) and solid leadership...

Surely Chill has another season in him, especially if he gets through this one healthy... Just needs to be used right, he is still a very valuable player, just not at the high end of the salary scale...

Perth will be interesting to see how they go... Lots of their local talent has dropped off this season... Kenny, Damo and Wagstaff still have one season left, will Hire retire or get the boot? Wildcats front office surely are smart enough to know that they can't really boot their stalwarts and not bringing Hire back would mean his retirement, early or not, as no way he'd go play elsewhere...

Reply #667047 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

With Childress who knows he looks like he could go another year.
Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't Penney have another year to go on his deal?
Hope Kenny does not have another year to go.

Reply #667064 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Childress has plenty of hoops, and hops, left in him.

Reply #667066 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Penney's got a year to go on his contract.

Reply #667067 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Out of all the duds you mention Loughton?
Christ, He'll run 2nd in the MVP to McCarron this year.

Reply #667070 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Nate Jawai

How much of his salary are the Taipans even paying?

There's money from Education Department/s. Definitely Feds, maybe State as well.

Did Nate graduate with a degree? Could he enrol in Cairns’ sponsoring Uni?

"Earn. Learn." That’s the slogan the Feds use to promote engagement at school and further study to ATSI students. Kids might follow Nate to Uni, he could do a part time grad scholarship funded by the Feds. I’d like to see that lead to bigger and better things for his community.

Reply #667075 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Penny does have another year on his deal. He could be 45 and he would still be better than Kevin White lol.

Reply #667111 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Childress will sign 2-3 year deal IMO and then retire.

Reply #667112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone would be idiotic to sign Childress to a 3 year deal. So many good imports coming into the league and you are going to waste a spot on an old guy

Reply #667124 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Just announced today that Greg Hire is joining the Rockingham Flames in the SBL for next season. Is this a hint at his retirement?

Reply #667147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No its just a hint that he hates his nickname 'the major of wanneroo'

Reply #667163 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Here's one to ponder, who would we like to see join commentary team after playing career is over?

Can't be worse than Greer, Redhage, Tragardh and " Homicide".

Reply #667315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhys Martin still solid as hell, Forman might be done, tho the Hawks might keep him around as a 5 Minute gunner.

Stephen weigh looks done, can only see the hawks signing him and only if they have a handful of exits and a bench to fill

Reply #667828 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Just Weigh and Petrie so far.

Reply #672063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754