Isaac
Years ago

Taipans vs Breakers, Jan 20

Another game today with a QLD team unlikely to trouble the post-season, up against a visiting team jostling for finals position. Cairns already have 13 losses (Illawarra are 9-11) but they routinely serve as valiant spoilers. Can they get this one and keep things interesting?

Topic #42552 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns are always tough at home so give them a chance.
Still think NZ will win though

Reply #667650 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No official word on Sosa's status (of course), but doubt his ankle is up to it after that flight. Will be surprised if he plays

Reply #667653 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sold on the bona fide's of NZ and Trigger's done the right thing giving them a rev up in the local rag.

They're always tougher at home and it wouldn't surprise me if Cairns get up tonight.

Reply #667654 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Snakes should get up tbh.

Gruelling game just 2 days ago in the humidity. They're probably a bit sore. Plus the flight, plus the Taipans have been chilling for over a week. They love to scrap, they'll get it done. Christmas needs a big one

Reply #667656 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did Sosa make the trip? I would have thought they'd leave him home to rehab properly during the crucial first 2-3 days and have a swing at getting this without him.

Better to have him cherry ripe for Perth (if he can be ready by then) than playing hampered in both. Cairns should win, if NZ get it that would be a big statement.

Reply #667667 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Newbill and Ili need some help, otherwise we will struggle to get 70. Need Penney to get going.

Reply #667728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon May only weigh about 60kg but geez he went down easy on that "charge" by Newbill.

Reply #667735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm confused as to how new zealand are pushing guys in the middle of the back and not getting called for unsportsmanlike fouls. We've been told all year that if you don't make a play on the ball it's unsportsmanlike. A shove in the middle of the back is no play for the ball

Reply #667736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refereeing is terrible (both ways).

Reply #667737 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Pushing and grabbing is how NZ play. Have done for a while. Why stop if you get away with it right.

Reply #667739 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

And now we're 2nd :)

Reply #667742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I do not like Weeks that block was something extraordinary. Glad they didn't spoil it by calling a foul. Great defensive play.

Reply #667748 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You know what, I reckon the Breakers may start Ili at PG full-time next season.

Ili, import, Abercrombie, Vukona/import, Pledger/import

But I reckon they'll start with 2 imports and keep 1 in the back pocket again. That's a good ploy if you can get away with it.

Reply #667753 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

A very well constructed and executed game plan Mr Fearne.....

Reply #667755 | Report this post

ct  
Years ago

Christmas has been underwhelming bar his first game, after which I expect every other team scouted the shit out of him and figured him out.

the 'hold back one import spot' ploy only works if you have the right import. I'd prefer a weaker but consistent import starting from round 1 who gets to learn and work within the team structure than a higher paid stud who comes in on more money and with higher expectations on how quickly he's going to integrate and be effective. so often late season imports just haven't worked out

Reply #667778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754