Anonymous
Years ago

Perth's era is over

They had one of the best runs EVER since 2010 till now. 6 GF appearances along with 4 titles so yeah it was a great run but it is over. They wont make it to the GF as it stands with this roster. Adelaide and the United are much better and NZ is probaly equal to them.

Combination of decline to to age and lack of scorers has caught up to them. Even the great franchises like the Hawks had there run stopped.

Topic #42554 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot Gleeson. He rolls in takes and uses all the goodwill and rode it but never replenished anything. He has made his own bed, out of NBL soon completely.

Reply #667756 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth is out of form.

Reply #667758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you stupid, it ain't over till its over and I'm by no way possible a Perth fan.

Reply #667760 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

At this stage last season Perth were 10 wins and 11 losses sitting in 5th, howd that pan out?

Reply #667762 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's true that the Marvin era is over, and as yet I don't have much faith that Georgiou can be anything more than the loyal Beta.
But that said, Trev wouldn't be putting up with too much crap.

They will need to make some big changes over the coming years, and as yet haven't really unearthed any outstanding young talent.
Wait and see I guess.

But no, far from over. They have a winning coach, good core, great support staff, and more money and fans than most other teams.

Reply #667763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had the Cotton infusion this time last season and a better roster overall. I cant see how they can turn it this time around a year older and no other scorers to bring in.

Reply #667764 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This is why I was chilling after that win in Brisbane last weekend. Cooke had a great game and Perth cranked it up to make it look like they were still up there. But they aren't. They're being scouted better and better each game because, as we all say and as I said from early in the season, they only have a couple who can put it in the bucket.

It ain't over by any stretch, they're just in poor form. But even so, I don't think they have enough to win it all.

United is where it's at

Reply #667766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone else said it perfectly - the cats are "Cooked"

Reply #667773 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I think Perth fans should count their lucky stars they won last year. Lucky to get in the finals at the last minute on Cottons coat tails and then getting Cairns and Illawarra. Be happy you squeeked an extra one on the tally and be real supporters who support through thick and thin. You can't win them all.

Reply #667783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is why I was chilling after that win in Brisbane last weekend"

How were you during the game? Maybe you shouldn't pretend you were ok with them winning (and inventing some ridiculous reason why) because during the game, you were crowing about how much you were enjoying them losing. You have zero credibility when it comes to discussing anything Perth-related.

Reply #667785 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Can never discount Wildcats, but they rely too much on JP and Cotton to win games. Cotton is either on or off. Was surprised they didn't recruit a big who scores and rebounds. Signing Walker and Steindl seemed like they just took what was there rather than getting the best players they could to suit certain positions and styles. Brandt can only play close to the rim, unlike Knight who had a nice jumper. They needed to rejig their lineup when Knight retired and they never replaced him.
In saying that their game style is suited to finals and can grind teams down for wins.

Reply #667787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton scored 40 plus in last years grand final, if he and Tokoto turn up for the final series and rest of team do what they have to do, defend strong combine for a few points the cats will be dancing as usual. There in the semi finals so the first part of the job is done. I certainly would not be writing them of.

Reply #667790 | Report this post

It's not the imports that’s the issue. Damo is a step slower , Knight and Redhage haven’t been replaced and Wagstaff is at about 20% of what he used to be.

The core that got Perth all that success is dying. Losing Greenwood was a massive blow to their planning long term. It’s the Aussie talent that’s the issue

Put Cotton and Tokoto in Cairns for Smith and Evans and Cairns would be top 3, Perth would be bottom 3.

Stiendl has been converted from a chased free agent to a non factor, Walker can’t keep up the mirage. Beyond those two there is no talent that would be chased or desired by other teams. Brandt has not developed as expected either.

All empires fall eventually.

Reply #667791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a minute there, I thought OP was comparing Perth's success to Illawarra!

Yes, Perth is looking like they are on the downward slide but thats what should happen when you have the success they have had in the past 8 years. They have been successful because they kept their core together and that has been the envy of every other club in the league.

For those gloating about watching their demise...firstly, I’ve just watched one of the most enjoyable eras so I dont really care that its ending/ended. And if Perth were to have followed the advice of some here and kept one eye on the future at all times, I can only imagine how much complaining there would be if the dynasty rolled on for another 8 years!

Reply #667792 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

#667792 has summed it up perfectly.

I think losing Knight and not replacing Cooke has hurt.
Brandt started off great and has regressed over the season and bench needs an upgrade.

For all this there are still 7 games to go in regular season so its not over yet.

Reply #667796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut down Cotton, shut down Perth

Reply #667805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They arent what they were, but with the amount of import flips every offseason, hard to define an era anymore.

I hope Perth are done, I dont like anything about them, their arrogant fan base or Redhage and Reid on the mic... but they are still solid enough you dont want to meet them come finals time, home court or not.

Reply #667814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its hard not to be arrogant when we win all the bloody time!

Reply #667816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reid as a commentator is good IMO

Reply #667817 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I couldn't imagine what a 16 year title drought feels like.

Reply #667818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage is good on the commentary as well and I didn't like him as a player.

Reply #667819 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

There is no doubt that Perth will need to make some significant roster changes in the off season.

Martin, Brandt, Wagstaff should retain their spots - also get Cotton and Tokoto back if they can. Sounds like they're stuck with Steindl but he wouldnt be getting many minutes if he doesnt show something.

I think Kenny, Hire, DKD, Walker and Cooke need to be moved on.

I would like to see them target McCarron and Weeks to replace Hire and Kenny.

If they could find an Aussie centre to back up Brandt, I would also like to see them target Wesley as the third import.

Bragg gets elevated to the main list as the fourth guard.

Reply #667838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Bragg needs to be replaced by someone with a potential future in the NBL

Reply #667840 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Not 100% sure, but isn't Bragg contracted?

Reply #667843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have some issues, but I don't think they can be ruled out just yet. They have played some great games this year, they just seem to be in a bit of a slump and need some consistency. Plus playoff level Wildcats is a whole different to to regular season Wildcats.

Next year they definitely need a bit of an overhaul and a rebuild/retool though.

Reply #667844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep done and dusted. Tokoto being exposed badly, Flogstaff looks done. Martin getting older and Brandt is a scrub

Reply #667922 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perth need to go hard in free agent chase.
Target guys like McCarron and try lure Jervis back.
I would prefer Buford or Conger over Tokoto

Reply #667943 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Maybe they'll try poach some 36ers..

Reply #667984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see isn't it.

Reply #667996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. She ain't singing yet.

Reply #667999 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Well there's plenty of chubbys to chose from out West. All that home cooking!

Reply #668003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is a free agent right?

Reply #668017 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If Perth chuck enough money at him who knows, he may be keen to put up with Gleeson.

Reply #668021 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No, Sobey re-signed to a 2 year deal before the start of this season.

Reply #668025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one wants to play under dictator ayatollah Gleeson

Reply #668030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flopper Sobey would fit in well with the Perth flopcats

Reply #668033 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Keep cotton Tokoto and maybe get an import pf/c.

Then target Johnson and mccarron.

Think hire, dexter, wagstaff bragg and maybe Kenny are gone

Martin doesn't seem to be the player he once was either.

Reply #668043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny is playing better then Damo and even mr big head Tokoto at the minute

Reply #668047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tlogstaff will probably retire and persuade his engineering career

Reply #668048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff

Reply #668049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton and Tokoto as a combo are not the issue it's the lack of other scoring threat that is allowing teams to go all out on cotton on the defensive end

Reply #668050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best thing ever is seeing the idiot annoying,superior, elitist wildcats fans take it

Reply #668083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the cats took their own "wildcats basketball" concept too seriously and forget that wildcats basketball was about assembling competitive teams.

The fact they went in with this season (if you count Knight) with 6 of their 10 players over 30.

Seriously you have a manager and coach that didnt see that was likely to happen ?

Big problem is many players dont want to move to Perth, trying to refresh the ranks next season wont be easy.

Reply #668104 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Perth just look like they need a good sleep and freshen up a bit, maybe pull out a video of what they have done well this season and get them feeling good about themselves.... next game is against Breakers so that should get the players fired up but if it doesn't then we get posts like we see right here

Reply #668115 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Damo is carrying an injury and no one is picking up the slack. Still, it's unlikely they're going to miss the playoffs, so if they can get heathy and find some form over the next 3-4 weeks they're still a chance.

Write them off at your peril. Two years ago I wrote the Breakers off after a few really bad losses and they made it to the GF.

Reply #668117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Best thing ever is seeing the idiot annoying,superior, elitist wildcats fans take it"

Take what? 4 titles in eight years? Ok, I'll take it!

Reply #668120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Big problem is many players dont want to move to Perth, trying to refresh the ranks next season wont be easy.
I've never heard this suggested. There's a lot of flying, but why wouldn't you play for a pro organisation that's presumably rolling in cash and about to have minutes to spare at most positions?

Doubt the Perth lifestyle is that bad.

Reply #668123 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Perth have never had problems enticing players over from what I've noticed.

Reply #668125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I've never heard this suggested. There's a lot of flying, but why wouldn't you play for a pro organisation that's presumably rolling in cash and about to have minutes to spare at most positions?

Doubt the Perth lifestyle is that bad."

I think its more of a case that Perth hasn't done much recruiting from other clubs in the past few years, as their focus has been on keeping the core together. The only player I can think of in recent memory who rejected Perth's offer was Gliddon, but that was because he didn't want to play behind Lisch.

Reply #668128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey also rejected a cats offer.

Reply #668137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are in the 4. Will play Finals. Anything can happen from here. How many times have people prematurely predicted the end for them to turn it around and prove the haters wrong.

Maybe wait til they're out before celebrating the end of an era.

Reply #668139 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Still keeping playoff streak alive.
Regardless of Perth winning the title or playoff early exit an overhaul is required.

Reply #668142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers thought they had a shot last year after finishing first.. Look at what happened. Get into the four and all are equal, and our destiny is in our own hands. Melbourne usually choke. Adelaide usually choke. That's half the teams there.

Reply #668147 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perth just have to think about the remaining 6 regular season games.
Build momentum and regain confidence.

Reply #668158 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't disagree with making the four being a key bit of the battle, but home court advantage has value, and form as well, and their current trajectory isn't great for either of those things.

I didn't see their first match-up in Perth, but they looked pretty despondent in Sydney from the passages I watched.

Reply #668162 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The first game in Perth they just picked them apart. It was actually a good game to watch because the Kings looked like they were all playing for one another and like they were the superior team. The defence from the Kings was outstanding.

It was a clinical performance that felt and looked to be more than just a loss and I half expected the Kings to put them to the sword in Sydney but definitely not to the degree they did pumping them by around 30 points.

Reply #668181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth lifestyle is phenomenally good. Besides the expensive living everything in Perth is great . I moved to Brisbane from Perth so I know how good it was.

Reply #668213 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If only people could get as enthusiastic about supporting their own team as they are about complaining about the Wildcats.

This whole thread is founded on some serious misconceptions about the NBL. This isn't the AFL or any other league subject to restrictions or equalisation.

For starters, they're not exactly cellar-dwellers right now, and if they get the right players, they could easily bounce back to the top next year.

Players certainly do move around, and the Cats have a lot going for them.

Be interesting to see what imports they bring in (or back) next season, if they can pick up any quality locals, and what sort of young aussie talent they can come up with.
Could be significant changes.

Reply #668285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes!!
Yes!!
Yes!!
Signed Daniel Bryan.

Reply #668287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most fans want a competitive game. If you had a chance all match and loose well that one thing. When you are made to look silly on court for 4 quarters, with kindergarden scoring it offends those of us who have been fans since the 80s. That second game the cats looked like the Washington Generals - heck they would of done a better job.

Gleeson cannot seem to generate fluid offence, last season included. Individual brillance has saved them historically.

They should bring in an offensive coach for some inspiration. (an ex player or respected ex senior coach). Its just not working and when it is this bad - kind of has to point to the coach.

Reply #668289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Damo, Cotton , Brandt, Steindl, Wagstaff.
Add 2 imports. New Coach
Add some new faces.

Simple

Reply #668305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754