ball
Years ago

Under 18s Vic Teams

team lists are posed on the basketball Victoria page for those who care

Topic #42578 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come no poa in the women's?

Cadee must have improved a lot over the last couple of years.

Reply #668557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic m v vic c final women's imo. Nsw metro 3rd.

Reply #668558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmm bulleen selector 5 players hawthorn selector 3 players??

Reply #668593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen (6)
Ellis, Scanlon, Cadee, Riley, Potter, Locandro

Hawthorn (2)
Rose-Smith, Edmanson

Dandenong (1)
Anstey

Knox (1)
Hollingsworth

Reply #668599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 well deserved state players, won't be touched this season, will dominate!

Reply #668621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U17 Australian combo guard didn't make the cut?

Reply #668626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

signed to play big v.

Reply #668627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth, Big V, SEABL, COE are all excused from their normal commitments to play for the State, she was at the ECC, just didn't get picked.

Reply #668653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She wasn't even an emergency.

Reply #668658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps she has fallen out of favour with BV, strange though given the major injuries to 2 normally definite starters (OB & IL), they need her. The Bulleen players replacing these 3 are nowhere near as good as those injured or out of favour?.
The ECC was a sham and meant to be a trial (for U18 anyway), most clubs will tell you the best players weren't necessarily in attendance, either injured or left out. One particular player dominated, yet made emergency with another player struggling and then making it. Why waste everyone’s time and money, the teams were already picked.

Reply #668664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Cadee ever been an emergency on previous teams?

Injuries to lopes and babic will likely cost them the gold.

Reply #668668 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Poa
Newton
Vasiljevic

All great althletes that played very well at ECC yet weren't picked

Reply #668679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of them are from Bulleen.

Reply #668683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I rest my case............ECC a SHAM !!

Club Bias, Favouritism, Nepotism.... Welcome to Basketball

Reply #668686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey, at least Perry made emergency

Reply #668688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The four Bulleen top agers were starters as bottom agers on a VC Grand final team, and Cadee and Scanlon were the best 3 point shooters in league. More to selection than just the ECC i suspect and so it should be. Last years team lost to Vic Country by 40.. let's see how this team does before judging girls who have earnt selection. Time will tell.

Reply #668704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So poa will not be on u17 national team?

Bit odd if you can't make state team.

Reply #668711 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Vasiljevic most consistent shooter in league, very much like her brother

Reply #668714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know what would be funny?
If there was a time when a state team etc was picked and there wasn't an uproar.

Reply #668718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I don't understand is that every time there is an uproar, it is about the girls. You never hear anything about the boys. That surprises me. Dads living through their daughters secretly wishing they were their sons?

Reply #668723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would be funny is if you Fix it, It's more about the system, if it’s meant to be a trial then make it be one. If Girls are consistently beaten and are there on reputation then don’t pick them. If they think they are going to get through on their name alone and can’t compete (or don’t feel like competing, injuries aside) in a trial situation then they should be cut as they don’t have what is ultimately required. I saw the Dandenong guard destroy the Bulleen guard, the Diamond Valley player (HV) can shoot the lights out of any of the Bulleen shooter’s yet mediocrity is rewarded due to bloated reputations.

I don’t know how to fix it, however, IMO I would no longer keep the ECC as the State selection camp, I would keep it as a Development camp as it was intended (send the Girls who don't make State there for development). There are hundreds of kids who compete for a spot at the ECC, use these trials in a round robin format as the selection yard stick for State selection. At least give other kids who are prepared to bust their gut going up against these so called good players a run for their money, with an honest non bias selection committee (arm’s length from the coaching staff) this will weed out the future champions from the prima Donnas. To be a Basketball family is expensive and for kids to make the trip to Sydney with false hope and no reward for effort is just cruel.

Reply #668727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the player that 'destroys' said player doesn't get picked because they go 1 v 1 out of the offence?
Maybe the shooter who can shoot the lights out can't defend or takes bad shots?

How many parents complaining really know the game, not just from what have seen with their kids.

I've seen hundreds of movies, but I sure could t tell you how on earth to make one.

Reply #668728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: Under 18s Vic Teams

Not a Dad (Well not a Basketball Dad) just a coach that has been around for too long time.
I think the issue is more than when you look at the selections and see so many girls coming from 1 club and know that some are auto picks (told they are in before try-outs) the system is wrong. Kids that are in Australia development program dont even get invited?

Reply #668729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with #668729, why have NITP/NPP when some of these kids aren't even invited to ECC, hasn't due diligence already been done??

Reply #668731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see this u17 World Cup side.

Looks like only a handful have cemented there spots from the u16 Asia champs.

Reply #668732 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I'm in SA so no experience with Basketball Vic as such, but reading these threads it does seem to make little sense how they miss some players in selections who are in Australian program. I guess it is the fit in the end.

From what i see, Victoria is prideful of their basketball reputation as a power house. I can't really see that selectors would jeopardize the rep/possible gold by slotting in girls who don't add up purely to please.

Reply #668733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to talk about favoritism and nepotism, #668688 is on the money!

Reply #668737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if everyone was healthy I would have assumed it would have been

G
Poa, Riley, Lopes, Ellis, Scanlon
F
Potter, Babic
P
Hollingsworth, Locandro, Anstey

Edmanson is no surprise, pretty versatile player.
Cadee and rose-smith were the surprises. Hope they do well.

I still think vic country are favourites with aus players Amoore, Melbourne, pollerd, Nnopu and ADC invitee ogier.

Reply #668739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen to win eltham Dandenong tournament this weekend with 6 state players.
It's a no brainer. No other teams can match our power.

Reply #668746 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Anon #8704

"Cadee and Scanlon were the best 3 point shooters in league"

At least the stats are available - actually Scanlon was second best behind Vasiljevic, Cadee not even close.

Good luck to them anyway.

Poe is a real surprise, I still think she is a better guard than any of these selected.

Reply #668766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poa not even being an emergency probably means she chose not to play or was unable too.

Reply #668779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats were only taken at less than half of the VC games where electronic scoring was used! Please keep comments to facts and not biased opinion about individuals. . Also please be aware that criticisng minors by name or inferral is a offence under cyber bullying laws! Be very careful - it is clear that bias exists so how about moving on. The team is not going to change - let's see if they can get back that gold for the Vics.

Reply #668783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam stats showed 2 out of 20 not shooting that well.

Reply #668840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What no Poa can't believe that. She is an amazing player great defender and offence.
Very surprised at this ????

Reply #669201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's surprising, I'm sure there's more to it.

Reply #669205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's actually a lot less to it

Reply #669213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No one can match our power"
Should never have got past the semi. Not sure where the other team comes from but your power isn't quite what you think it is.
Took in a few games in this age group this weekend. Vic Country are going to give this team a whipping. The bigs are average and were found out a few times. So over rated it isn’t even funny anymore. How these kids are getting higher honours is beyond me. The Bulleen girl is the only one worth her spot. BV are doing a great sell job on these girls to the Australian coaches.
I would also suggest at least three of the other states would be thinking they are a chance come Geelong.
Much to think about I suggest - sorry team already picked.

Reply #669262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Poa at the CofE last year?

Reply #669303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was.
Shes playing big v now.

Reply #669306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754