fish
Years ago

Club policy for dismissing players

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the club policy for dismissing players. Recently 3 juniors from a club I won't name were notified that 'their services were no longer needed at x club' and from my perspective there was not an acceptable reason for this dismissal.

To shorten a long story, the 3 players, who planned to leave this club at the end of the season were asked to leave with 3 games remaining. The reason being that they had informed another player of an opportunity with the new club, as trials were not offered for the age group this player qualified for. There was no pressure or 'canvassing' as the club called it, but still the three players were dismissed.

It just seems like a poor reason for 3 juniors to have been kicked out of a club. Hence I would like to know of policies for dismissal from any club. Any information or opinions/comments would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Topic #426 | Report this topic

Trouble Making  
Years ago

Interesting. I'm sure the club would have their own reasons for taking such an extreme measure. I doubt it would be appropriate though.

It does raise an interesting issue.

Which clubs are best for being open and honest and well run? Which clubs are the most/least affected by bias and internal politics?

Reply #3284 | Report this post

Trouble Making  
Years ago

Fish,

Which club are you talking about?

What is the longer version?

Bit hard to make comment on such little info.

Reply #3287 | Report this post

Marlin  
Years ago

I'd say the most affected - South, least - Forestville.

Reply #3290 | Report this post

HOOPIN  
Years ago

I DISAGREE ABOUT FORESTVILLE I KNOW A COUPLE OF JUNIORS THAT WENT THROUGH DIV 1 ON THE BACK OF THEIR PARENTS BEING COMMITTEE MEMBERS (MAYBE THATS THE FORESTVILLE OF OLD)

Reply #3292 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

The Forestville committee has exactly zero input in player and coach selections, and hasn't for the last five years that I've been involved. In fact, many Forestville members don't even know who's on the commitee, which probably means that they're doing a good job.

Reply #3296 | Report this post

fish  
Years ago

Originally this post was not supposed to involve naming clubs, but since other clubs have been mentioned and I will reveal that the club was West Adelaide. I also have high suspicions that the club board was not informed of the decision, and that the dismissal was mainly orientated by the coach and a volunteer for the club.

After speaking to those involved, I was informed of the conversation that took place between the 4 players:

PLAYER X: So, what are your plans for next season?
PLAYER Y: I don't know, there hasn't been any trials listed for my agegroup.
PLAYER X: Well, if you don't have anywhere to go, come with us to our new club.
PLAYER Y: No, I don't think my parents will let me.
PLAYER X: Oh OK, fair enough.

Player X being the players leaving the club.

After putting in a request to this volunteer (mentioned above) for an immediate clearance, and a promise from the volunteer for one to be register straight away, now, five working days later, it was found out that the request hadn't even been put through.

Great organisation, great policies.

Reply #3298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopin, who are you talking about?

Reply #3309 | Report this post

Melo  
Years ago

Yogee,

Not sure that this is poaching because I think that poaching involves a club trying to get a player. this sounds more like a players talking to their friend. I don't think we can accuse the club to which player X is moving to have involvement in the conversation, and in fact may not have a position for that players anyway in that team.

It is my belief that this is the most common form of behaviour that leads to player movement. It is family and friends from different or the same clubs talking to each other about what they think is best for the next season. If the kid and his family aren't interested in moving, as seems to be the case, then they won't move.

I think it comes back to the club to make sure that they have good communication lines and are working hard to keep players happy.

Reply #3342 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It depends what age group this is in too...if it was under 12s, then thats ridiculous.

Reply #3355 | Report this post

HOOPIN  
Years ago

Anonymous I will just say it was in the 83 age group

Reply #3363 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

Surely West will blame Sturt for poaching......

Reply #3378 | Report this post

Question..  
Years ago

Is the club (West?) having a team in that age group then? If so, surely they will be having some sort of trial/training?? Is 83'ers 1st year under 14s next year?

Reply #3379 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

You mean 93 surely? So U12s going into U14s? 83 are ABL level now.

Reply #3383 | Report this post

Question..  
Years ago

Yikes, good point!! So what age group are we talking about??

Reply #3387 | Report this post

fish  
Years ago

I'm not sure if the question about what agegroup this West Adelaide stuff is happening in, but in case it is, the agegroup is 18's to 20's. All four players were going up to 20's and the club newsletter, posted to all players, did not mention ANYTHING about the 20 Women trials. No phone number, no trial session, no mention at all.

Reply #3491 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

If there is no mention in the West newsletter about trials/trainings, the original question returns - Will West actually HAVE a team in that age group (apparently U20/21 women)??

Reply #3557 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

would think very few clubs would bother for trials at Under 20 women level. Past 18's, women's basketball tends to become a senior level responsibility. I am sure West intend on fielding a team in the Under 21 women. However whats the point in having trials for a handful of players whose abilities the club would know very well. Its not like a younger age group where multiple teams in an age-group are being fielded. If four girls are planning on leaving a club for this reason alone, well its a bit precious. Communication from the club should be a little better.

Reply #3577 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

Do West have an U21 women's team this season? I personally don't know, but I think there are a few clubs who do not. If West are one of these clubs, it's quite conceivable that these U18 girls assume there won't be a team next year either if the club hasn't told them otherwise.

Reply #3591 | Report this post

Grumpy Bear  
Years ago

Nope west dont have a team.

Reply #3598 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jirachi, to be fair, the topic did call for any comments/opinions, and I think it's fair for someone to at least say something, whether or not they claim to be experts. It's up to you to ignore that viewpoint if you consider it relevant, but it doesn't feel like it's very community-oriented to suggest that his opinion means nothing to no one.

I'd rather that we had the occasional slightly irrelevant opinion on here as opposed to people withholding theirs for fear of being knocked back for not having enough/any background knowledge.

Reply #3617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, slightly too harsh. I think he was just trying to be involved (which I think is good -- gets people to expand their knowledge from Sixers to ABL or NBA to stats, and so on). And we can probably do without a poaching debate for a couple more days at least. Number of posts in this week vs last week have almost doubled. Poaching threads will kill that!

Reply #3622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coooool

Reply #3631 | Report this post

false name  
Years ago

the club was west, and the players were under18"s going into under 21's in the girls.

Reply #3637 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The one across the road will do.

Reply #3713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754