Luuuc
Years ago

WNBA 2018 Season

Free agency signings are underway so it's probably time for this year's WNBA thread.

* San Antonio stars are now the Las Vegas Aces, with Bill Laimbeer as head coach

* Still no announcement about the ownership status of the NY Liberty (who will be coached by Katie Smith) or where they will be playing their games this season after James Dolan / Madison Square Garden Inc. announced that they're selling the team.

* Directly related to that, the schedule for the upcoming season is now overdue

* Seattle Storm (who this year will be coached by Dan Hughes) have signed Sami Whitcomb to a multi-year contract

Topic #42632 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Multi= 2 years?

Reply #669876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got a feeling brondello will pick up another Aussie in the draft.

Reply #669877 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Multi= 2 years?

I'm guessing so. The WNBA are always like this when it comes to (not) disclosing contract details.

Reply #669879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Renee Montgomery from Lynx to Dream

Reply #669880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies?
Mitchell, Whitcomb, Talbot, George, Cambage.

Anyone else?

Reply #669887 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hopefully Bec Allen.
Hopefully Tolo? (No idea if she wants to, but if she does I bet LA would be happy to have her)

I could see Kristy Wallace getting drafted but ending up on a roster will be a big ask.

Reply #669889 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

WNBA contracts can be a little strange. A multi year deal for Whitcomb although I assume she still has to win her place and make the team in training camp each season in order to be paid.

Good to see the Storm have her in their plans in the medium term.

Reply #669890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen, I wouldn't on her form.

Tolo a good backup or 3rd big.

Reply #669891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen and George I'd think would be in jeopardy on form, although don't know Allen's form with Lyon this season.

Reply #669902 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

della-donne is at washington now y/n ?

Reply #670042 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

don't know where blicavs is with her injury - but i would like to see hew play at wnba level / training camp - she has the size and type of game to fit

Reply #670050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blicavs as a 3 wouldn't make it.
Blicavs as a 4 is too small.

Reply #670064 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

* Cayla George traded from Phoenix to Connecticut

Reply #670243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla George to sun for second round pick.
= Wallace to Phoenix?

Reply #670245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cayla George to sun for second round pick.
= Wallace to Phoenix?"

Neither make either of those teams.

Reply #670272 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

unfortunately i think the above poster is correct.

Reply #670357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage signed a multi-year deal with the Dallas Wings.

Reply #671152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Dallas have a guy that can get into her head?
Loose cannon.

Reply #671163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ her antics will fit in well with that league. Last season Taurasi purposely hit a player in the head and then Sandy Brondello had the nerve to say her well deserved suspension was unfair and go on how Taurasi is just a passionate player. In fact, complaining about officiating to the media is another common Phoenix thing. Maybe Liz should try to get traded to send herself up to Sandy's farm and Griner to take her place in Texas.

Reply #671185 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I disagree that her antics will go down well.
Taurasi has been the anointed one of women's basketball ever since she suited up for UConn so no one gets more leeway that her, yet the WNBA world in general is very much tired of her BS. Brondello being unable to control her doesn't change that.
There's no way Liz starts with anything close to that level of credit in the bank.

It's going to make for a more interesting season though, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to it :)
Wonder if the Wings have got someone capable of playing the O'Hea role on the court. That doesn't tend to be the way the Americans do things so I really doubt it.

Reply #671188 | Report this post

the guru  
Years ago

i am surprised skylar diggins has not featured in the discussions I have read for lindsay whalens team usa replacement. Liz has successfully played well against Griner previously and sylvia fowles has been unstoppable so good talls are a must for a title.

Reply #671191 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

PG: Diggins/Chong
SG: Gray/Davis
SF: Christmas/Powers/
PF: Johnson/Plaisance
C: Cambage/Russell/

Luuuc - not a lot of selfless passers on the squad. Probably not a lot of knockdown shooters either.

We saw how that played out in the WNBL GF final series when players around Liz can't knock down the 3pt shot and how crowded things get for her.

Overall a lot of talent of the roster and potentially a top 4 seed.

Reply #671203 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep, good summary. A ton of talent - enough to be top 4 - but lots of unknowns (especially defence .. though you could argue that's not an unknown, it's a known deficiency). And yeah perimeter shooting needs to be high on their priority list. It's not the WNBL anymore but Liz can still expect plenty of doubles coming at her.

Plaisance had an ACL tear in Europe so we can probably take her name off, unless she has gone with that 'LARS' method that seems to be out of favour these days. (so that's one less 3 point threat they've got)

Reply #671211 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Kelsey Griffin and Betnijah Laney have signed training camp contracts with the Sun. Geez they could potentially have half of their roster made up of WNBL players

Reply #671451 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Assuming good buddies Banham & Williams are still there and throw in another buddy in Laney then it should make for pretty good comradely around the place.

Reply #671475 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The WNBA 2018 Schedule was released today, and it's grim reading for NY Liberty fans, with only 2 games at MSG and the rest waaay out in the sticks at Westchester County Center (capacity: 5,000)
Yikes.

Regular season runs from May 18 - Aug 19.

Season opener is Griner vs Cambage :)

Reply #671642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen back at liberty.

Although I like to see Aussies in the WNBA, I don't think she did enough to keep her spot.

Reply #672164 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree she is a bit lucky. It seems that due to the timing of the ownership fiasco, the team made zero moves during free agency, and that might be the only thing that saved Bec.
Maybe the new coach will do more with her than hide her in the corner waiting for open threes.

Reply #672167 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Allen's season in France hasn't exactly set the world on fire either - averaging 9.6 points @ 38%, 5.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.9 blocks and 1.9 TO. Hopefully she can have a good crack at it this upcoming season though with the world championships in her sights.

Jen Hamson has also re-signed with Indiana over the past few days.

Reply #672199 | Report this post

Years ago

Westchester doesn't look that far away - but I do not know NY city at all - how much further from MSG is it ?

Reply #672202 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Westchester is 43 km from MSG. It is out in woop woop. Almost rural. The area is low density housing and a shitload of golf courses.
And while transportation is relatively ok from midtown Manhattan (roads & rail go straight up north), it's a big pain in the arse from places like Brooklyn & Queens judging from what some Liberty fans have been saying. (Keep in mind how many New Yorkers don't even own cars because there's no real need to)
Plus because there are so few people up there, bus & train services are very infrequent. I had a look around the other day on Google street view, and it's not an area people are going to want to hang out before or after games either. So it all adds up to inconvenience + lack of appeal.
Hopefully they find a new owner quickly who can move them to Barclays Center. Even Prudential in NJ would be better and that was pretty poor. But I think death is inevitable if they stay at Westchester.

Reply #672205 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fingers crossed for Kristy Wallace, who went down with a serious knee injury today.
She was really starting to get some attention around the country for her play too, including being mentioned in some WNBA mock drafts. Rotten luck for her.

Reply #674610 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

Watched Baylor the other day on TV and Wallace was very good. The tall for Baylor was very good as well and will be a top draft pick when the time comes.

Reply #674617 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

Baylor did well in the Big 12 awards - still no media on the knee (.

Reply #675088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Torn ACL.

Heart breaks for her.
Would have definitely made elite 8 and possbliy final 4 in her last season.
Not sure they can go far without her.

Reply #675089 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Absolutely rotten luck for Wallace, IMO she would've been in contention for that 12th spot on the world cup Opals team. I just hope she has a good recovery and can get back to reach the potential we all know she has.

I agree the Bears are a shadow of a team without her, hopefully they can progress through but I can't see it happening unfortunately.

Reply #675093 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

:((((

Reply #675097 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

heres for a speedy recovery to a very good player.

Reply #675102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

March(Surgery), April(Crutches/Weight), May(Rehab), June(Rehab) July(Rehab) August(Rehab), September WC-22nd/30th

A very very slim chance of making WC.

Reply #675103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad about her injury but be realistic she's not going to push what’s already up for selection in the guards spots out for WC

Hopefully she has a good recovery and can then build up from there

Reply #675133 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Q. And also your thoughts on Kristy Wallace from Baylor?

REBECCA LOBO: Kristy was having a terrific senior season. I think in particular when you focused on the games that they played against Texas, she was the difference in helping Baylor win both of those games before she was injured in the regular season. And she's intriguing because she’s got good size for a point guard. She’s got a real toughness that she’s shown about her. She has an ability to score not only from the perimeter but drive into the paint and finish. Getting her teammates open.
The WNBA Draft is always interesting as it relates to injured players and international players who aren’t expected to play right away. Sometimes teams have more picks in the draft than they have positions in training camp. So, injured players or internationals who aren’t going to come play this year can be really appealing for some teams because they may not have the roster room or they simply may not have the space in their training camp for all of those players.
So, sometimes a player like Kristy Wallace could be really appealing because a team wants her in the future but doesn’t necessarily have that need this season.

ESPN’s Rebecca Lobo & LaChina Robinson Preview Upcoming WNBA Draft

(the draft is this Friday, Aust. time)

Reply #683014 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #688439 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Connecticut Sun have finalised their roster, which involved cutting Cayla George.

Reply #689005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its tough to get another gig when you get cut on the last day. Teams are normally set on their players they've had in camp.

Reply #689015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its tough to get another gig when you get cut on the last day."

Especially when you aren't very good

Reply #689108 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Opening night tip-off is a couple of minutes away. We're starting with a Cambage vs Griner game, which is a pretty tough welcome back to the league for Liz.
Just 5 aussies in the league this season: Cambage, Talbot, Mitchell, Whitcomb & Allen (Plus Brondello, Taylor & Phillips in off-court roles)

WNBA league pass as a free trial available for anyone who is interested.

Reply #689318 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Cambage tooo good

Reply #689425 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2 good games to start the season from Liz. She got the better of Griner (a popular MVP prediction this season) in game 1, and had her way with Atlanta today with 21 pts (8/11), 9 reb, 4 blk.

Reply #689496 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Liz Cambage , and not as previously published Brittney Griner , is the player to watch this season......

Reply #689498 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Liz struggles with Fowles.

Great for Liz to be in the wnba and get reps against players of that calibre.

Reply #689948 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, Liz will feat on much of the league but she has always struggled with Syl. Still, she did ok today. Kept her cool. I liked what I saw. Though it was like watching the Melb Boomers all over again though as Liz's presence created countless open threes, and nearly all of them were bricked.

Reply #689952 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

*feast

Reply #689953 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dallas have signed Cayla George.
Not a bad fit for them actually, while Glory Johnson & Theresa Plaisance are out with injuries. She should see some court time.

Reply #691213 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Someone gave Bec Allen the green light today and so far she is making the most of it. Great to see her with the shackles off and shots dropping.

Reply #700064 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sancho Lyttle's ACL injury basically killed Phoenix's title aspirations, but the silver lining has been Steph Talbot's increased minutes.
She has worked her way into the starting lineup and is playing some really solid basketball at both ends of the floor, and her confidence is visibly improved. It's good timing for the Opals.

Reply #700498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw that Cambage came 2nd in the MVP award. (yes I am behind) Super effort!

Breanna Stewart 372 votes
Liz Cambage 231
Elena Delle Donne 206
Candace Parker 60
Diana Taurasi 48
Tiffany Hayes 46
Sylvia Fowles 11
A'ja Wilson 11
Maya Moore 8
Kayla McBride 7
Courtney Vandersloot 5
Sue Bird 4
Brittney Griner 4
Angel McCoughtry 1

Reply #702833 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

good effort by stewart....why only 2ppg behind liz cambage..
if she'd made 53 points one game would be a bit closer...

Reply #702879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a triumph this season has been for Sue Bird.

Reply #704233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAVE OUR SONICS!

Reply #704235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sue Bird was brilliant in the GF series. Hopefully not retiring any time soon... Ultimate PG

Reply #704237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arguably the best PG in WBB history

Reply #704280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754