Anonymous
Years ago

Tai Wesley will be a local

According to RSN Breakfast Club twitter feed, Tai Wesley will stay in the NBL as a local player next season. This will make him a high sought after free agent!

Topic #42664 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcat bound

Reply #671226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United have more then enough $$$$ to keep him

Reply #671233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His 17 kids will be able to upgrade from cheeseburgers to whopper value meals with the money this grown man will be earning next season

Reply #671234 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If United are really paying Andersen $600k, then Tai should be getting the same money or more.

Reply #671236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His 17 kids will be able to upgrade from cheeseburgers to whopper value meals with the money this grown man will be earning next season"

Maybe YOU should get a job like Tai so you can upgrade from the free missed free throw cheeseburgers and get a whopper yourself?

Reply #671237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe YOU shouldn't take jokes so serious

Reply #671242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky that United caught a lucky break here and will finally be able to assemble a decent roster...

Reply #671244 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

I wonder if it's due to an impending citizenship or an apparent 'duty of care'

Reply #671246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impending citizenship, which is why it's a 12 month grace period.

Reply #671247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so that was a 'joke'. Sounded like a primary school comment. Not needed at all. Like the Jawai 'jokes' Totally not needed.

Reply #671255 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think most here understood that joke lol I take it you haven't watched much NBL recently.

Reply #671274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #671285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No such thing as a bad Jawai joke.

Reply #671306 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

What a surprise...considering the NBL owner and United owner are one in the same.

Reply #671308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tai is a free agent, so if anything this helps him more than Larry. He will get offers from most teams i'd think.

But feel free to keep hating on Larry.

Reply #671333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What a surprise...considering the NBL owner and United owner are one in the same."

I wish I was uneducated too

Reply #671342 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Uneducated, ok....we will see.

Reply #671355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK not being the United owner is like saying Donald Trump set up a blind trust for his children to run all his business interests.

Reply #671359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tornado, you literally have no idea of the process that went on in the background to get this done, so yes, you are uneducated on the application.

Reply #671365 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well can you offer some clarity around 'the process' then?

If its Wesley becoming an Australian citizen by the 2018/19 season, then fair enough, thats hardly on LK.

If Guam is magically back on the exception list when it was removed in favour of Asian countries, then that is another matter entirely.

Reply #671367 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I think you're right Lovebroker, a little clarity and the conspiracy theory speculation disappears.

Doesn't FIBA do the classifications anyways?

Reply #671375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Citizenship application in process . Guam has not been reclassified.

Reply #671405 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Citizenship?! How long has he been in Australia?

He has only been playing in the NBL since 2014 and Melbourne (Australia) since 2016.

It doesn't matter how you look at it...it wreaks of favouritism & hidden agendas.

Anon #671365...enlighten me on how you know I have no idea on the situation/application?

Reply #671448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Effectively Melbourne running 4 Imports (lets face it Guam exclusion is a joke-it's America) and Adelaide running 2. Yes, LV buying wins and Adelaide punching above their weight against the teams with some solid backing. Respect deserved for what teams are doing that have little backing and put together the wins. And Tai should be an import next year, has not met requirements for citizenship and only spent half a year here last year. And lets face it he deserves an import spot. Melbourne would bot be winning if he was injured and he was a beast for them last season.

Reply #671453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adding to the above, if he does make citizen as dodgy as it may be then get him on the Boomers squad asap.

Reply #671454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and Adelaide running 2"

Shorter, Childress, Moore. Which of those isn't an import?

Reply #671455 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What makes the Wesley situation particularly galling is he's actually American. Born in the US (spent a few years as a kid in Guam when his dad worked there) basically raised in the US, college in the US the lot.

Reply #671462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typo *3

Reply #671465 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wesley has 2 young kids and has become a long term fixture in the NBL, making it his home. How many "imports" stay for four years?

As I said a couple of months ago, it'd be perfectly fair if the rule was grandfathered for existing players.

The NBL would be doing itself a favour too, giving a long term player a chance to remain in the league.

Reply #671470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch all of the whiners stop if Tai ends up at their team. He's a free agent coming off career best form. He could go to a small market team too, such as Cairns and help with depth. Not out of the question.

Reply #671472 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's got nothing to do with whining I'd love to have Wesley on my team as a local or an import I'm probably his biggest fan on here over the years.

However it does change the fact it was a bit dodgy by the Breakers and then United to get him classified as Guamanian and thus a local.

Reply #671476 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

* doesn't

Reply #671477 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A lot of sticklers in this board. Fact is Tai is a great player, and the league should want to keep guys around like him rather than set their rules such that they're excluded. Yes, you can't do it for everyone, but he's already here, already established. Just shut up and let the guy play here. The league is better for it.

Reply #671478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here here

Reply #671482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game winner by... ME :) Well said bro.

Reply #671483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"keep guys around like him rather than set their rules such that they're excluded."

He won't be excluded under any rules.

Reply #671484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey @Me, so could it happen for someone like Prather as well?
He has played & lived in Australia longer than Wesley.

Wesley has been in Australia less than 2 years and now classifying him as an Aussie?
Come on now!

And please don't say but he was in New Zealand for a while so that counts, because unless I'm mistaken they are different countries.

I dont like this decision.

Reply #671486 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Prather has never played as a local.

Wesley's time in Australia specifically is irrelevant. New Zealanders are also locals.

Reply #671499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you KobeRulz, that's what these people are missing. He was allowed to play as a local and then the rule changed whilst he was playing as a local. It’s technically a restraint of trade. So the NBL doing it this way is fair as he still has to be a local on paper with the Aust Gov too

Reply #671505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't get the complaining either, he wants to become naturalised, good on him, it will surely get him a good pay rise.

Who knows he might end up somewhere else, I’m sure Wildcats had plans for a naturalised lisch but that didn’t work out

Reply #671511 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

The problem is you can't be a joint Australia or NZ citizen...the time he spent in either country is irrelevant if he is going for citizenship in either country. The NBL (local) rule doesn't override the laws in either country.

Reply #672393 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

TBH, I think he'd still be here whether it's as a local or as an import. I'm fine with the rules being bent to accommodate him given both his personal situation and his status at the time of signing with Melbourne, though. I like to think common sense can rule the day, and I also like to think it's not just happening because he plays for the league owner's team (maybe I'm overly optimistic...).

Reply #672400 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Meh,
Like a lot of people who have moved around and had different citizenship, He effectively got to choose which country he wanted to play for. He chose Guam.
I know he was born in the USA, but I thought his dad actually came from somewhere in Oceania?
Anyway, under the previous rules, he qualified as a "local" and that's how he played for the Breakers.

It's not unreasonable that the NBL provides some Grace whilst he waits for Aussie citizenship.

Reply #672544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754