Curtley
Years ago

MP uses parliament floor to push for Simmons @ASG

I guess everyone saw this already.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/ben-simmons-all-star-push-reaches-australian-parliament/9408122

A great speech that was also politically clever in encouraging multiculturalism and unity. As a basketball supporter I obviously love it but is it an unjust use of parliamentary privilege?

Was also retweeted by SportCenter that has 40M followers.

Topic #42678 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So so lame IMO.

Also, I know it's 2018 but the TV viewership reach SportsCenter has is way more significant than followers.

Reply #671534 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It had nothing to do with actually pushing to get Ben voted in. Ugh.

Reply #671537 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I am not sure you are aware but a lot more happens in parliament than what you probably think/know of.

He was clever and i am sure he knew it would gain media attention, which IMO is neither here nor there.

It was clearly pretty tongue in cheek.

Reply #671606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Got mentions on ESPN too. Helps build awareness of basketball in Australia, so it has a practical use whether he makes the ASG or not.

Reply #671625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about commenting on the NBL 40th anniversary team in Parliament. Support local.

Reply #671647 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Not totally tongue in cheek.

Appropriated 1 cause that most Australians would support to promote another, less universally-supported clause. Plus got good pr for himself. Win win win.

Reply #671753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754