Ballboy
Years ago

BASA Programming

Dear BASA,

On the basis that I know people at BASA read these posts, I as a concerned parent, have a couple simple requests.

Can you just for once make some hard decisions and stick to them for the good of basketball.

Point 1 - In particular can we next year bring forward the deadline for clubs to nominate teams ( i assume this will be your argument)so that we can all, before a ball is tipped off, actually get a draw for the season that won't be changed. (unless some extreme emergency requires it)

How do you expect to attract (and keep) kids to a sport that cannot do something that is so simple, and is done by most if not all other sports.

Ponit 2 - Can we get some transperency in the running of OUR game. This includes BASA delegates on committees not voting on key issues to get things through which they have proposed, which continues to happen to the angst of the member clubs.

Ponit 3 - Remember that whilst we true basketball followers love and support the 36ers, they are not the reason that BASA exist. Neither BASA nor the 36ers would exist if the junior players failed to turn up.

Point 4 - Listen to your Clubs, don't try and fight them, after all they are actually your Stakeholders.

Point 5 - The State Champs, are exactly that - STATE CHAMPS. They should not be used as a revenue generator but an elite competition for our best players. It should only be for div 1's, and other tornaments run at other times if there is enough demand (again talk to the clubs).

In conclusion I wish you all the best in your search for a new CEO (hopefully with some balls) as I love this game, and actually want it to prosper, not disappear down the toilet, where I fear we are heading, if we have another year or 2 like the last 2.

A concerned parent.

Topic #4275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about not using the middle court for game at the dickhead dome/powerhouse when only two courts are being used......

Reply #49647 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Ballboy as much as I love this site you really should know more then you obviously do about basketball in this state before blaming BASA for the sports issues across the board.

To answer your specific arguments in Points 1 and 5:

Point 1. BASA junior programs do not come out before the season for three reasons.

BASA doesn't have the resources to run local basketball as most would like.
Clubs don't have the staff/volunteers to know the situation of every player/family in its club.
Families pull out after committing to playing without understanding or caring what consequences their actions bring upon everyone else. Also some families/players have legitamte reasons why they can't continue to play. That may though lead to a team being too short of players to continue and that team needing to be withdrawn.

This has been covered on this forum before as has the reason why for example the Victorians don't have the same issue. Clubs in Melbourne are all part of Domestic Leagues and therefore have players ready to replace those who pull out after teams have been nominated.

Point 5. You are the first person I have ever heard suggest State Champs should involve one grade only. The consensus from most basketball people is that the old system of two grades, State and Reserve is the preferred structure. Unfortunately there are issues such as Country team involvement and multiple teams from clubs that led to the BASA Junior Committee (not the BASA staff) trying a new system in order to compromise within each clubs individual agendas.

You seem to really want to see the sport grow and flourish but I'd suggest speaking to your clubs committee delegates or Junior Coaching Directors about how the sport really works in this state before generalising to the extreme and blaming a staff that isn't solely responsible for the direction the sport is taking.

Reply #49690 | Report this post

balllboy not  
Years ago

Oi i herar its al;lll npat ok???????

Reply #49699 | Report this post

Ballboy  
Years ago

RJ,

Thanks for your response, and yes you are right I am committed to the sport in trying to make it better for all concerned.

This was exactly why I nominated ans was elected to a district executive just over 6 years ago and why I am still trying to "make a difference" today both there and in our dealings with BASA.

So I am a little closer than you would have known.

Re your points - they are all the same issues other sports have re associations, volunteers and families - but they still get their draws out in advance.

Re - State Champs - I am not saying all agree with my personal view, but if you check with your Club you will find that there are already 2 submissions re changing the format next year in the Clubs hands for discussion.

I guess my major beef with BASA is their lack of involvement or interaction with the member clubs. A good example is the only recent registration of the "new" Club the Western Magic. Its been done and approved without any consultation with the Clubs. How can this happen?

I could go on and on, but rest assured, I do have the interest of the sport at heart, and will continue to strive for the betterment of the game.

Reply #49834 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Ballboy, You need to do more homework. State Champs have been decided and there will be Div 1 nad 2 played over two weekends. RJ, when you doing this weeks reveiws?

Reply #49838 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Name one other state association that has basically two people running its whole senior and junior competitions. One of which has other duties as well. Basketball isn't other sports, it's time we all got used to that.

There are a lot more then two proposals going around regarding the structure of state champs. As I said there is no meaningful support for any structure which does not have two or three divisions.

In regards to Western Magic please explain why BASA need to consult with the clubs to allow them to play. There is a very clearly defined procedure for any new club and if the Western Magic have followed that then I don't see what your beef is. Unless you're involved in a club (Woodville or West) which has the most to lose if the Magic become a real force and if that is the case I have no doubt you would have been aware months ago of the emergence of the Magic.

Lastly you have now confessed to being on a club executive and that you are "trying to make a difference today both there and in our dealings with BASA" yet find it necessary to belittle a hardworking staff on a public forum. Hardly something that is going to help the current situation is it?

Reply #49877 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

In the know,

Hopefully PREviews will be up tomorrow :-) Not that I did better then 50/50 on last weekend. I tip the underdog way too much.

Good to see Jennings and co get up in the 18 2's tho, much luv to ya bro.

Reply #49881 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

I support much of what Ballboy is saying and in fact I think some of the suggestions may in fact help the two staff running the whole show. I didn't read the post as a critism of the work of the staff but moreso of the environment in which those staff are required to work.

The difficulty at the moment is that all the changes are swamping the available (and overworked)resources. Surely any suggestions that provide solutions to REAL problems need to be considered and not dismissed as being from someone not in the know.

I too was on a committee a few years back and these issues are not new. It could be that everyone is working so hard on day to day issues that no-one is considering the longer term view.

Reply #49916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754