James Harvey fan
Years ago

WNBL 18/19 signings

Tess Madgen to Townsville confirmed.

Topic #42760 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Looks like a slow start to Free Agency across the WNBL. According to The Basket Case, signings to date:

Adelaide

Chelsea Brook
Aimie Clydesdale
Lauren Nicholson
Natalie Novosel
Colleen Planeta
Nicole Seekamp

Bendigo

Nadeen Payne
Kara Tessari

Canberra

Keely Froling
Lauren Scherf

Dandenong

Tessa Lavey
Carley Mijovic
Rebecca Pizzey
Kiera Rowe

Melbourne

Monique Conti
Chelsea D'Angelo
Ash Grant
Jenna O’Hea
Kalani Purcell

Perth

Sami Whitcomb

Sydney

Shanea Graves
Lara McSpadden
Tahlia Tupaea
Alex Wilson

Townsville

Suzy Batkovic
Micaela Cocks
Darcee Garbin
Tess Madgen

Reply #674090 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Madgen's a good get for Townsville - hopefully she can come back bigger and better from her ACL injury. She certainly could press for the Opals WC side if she gets back to her pre-injury levels.

Kelly Wilson won't be coming back to Townsville and plans on playing in Bendigo or starting a family. Wiese and Mincy are open to having discussions to come back for a second season.

Reply #674091 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great signing for the Fire.

Mandatory annual plug:
Basket Case 2018 WNBL offseason tracker

Reply #674104 | Report this post

Years ago

let's see what goes on in April WNBA camps - who will be around, who is in form and suitable for Australian league. Watched Kalani Brown playing for Baylor the other day v Texas - has an awesome game, great future.

Reply #674105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is It only Dandenong that look likely to have a change of coaching staff?

Reply #674114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez, Madgen racking up the teams that she has played for!

Reply #674222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard the rangers will keep anderson for another season.

Reply #674223 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Megan Hustwaite tweeted the other week that the Boomers were very keen on signing Leilani to replace Liz as their 'marquee' player. I can't help but think should that occur one of Cole and Smart would have to make way. I thought coming in to the season they had too many guards to distribute minutes that they deserve, but they certainly wouldnt be able to if they add a guard the calibre of Mitchell into the mix.

Reply #674228 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Geez, Leilani racking up the teams that she has played for!

Reply #674231 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mitchell, Smart & Cole would make for a very nice guard rotation IMO, but I guess they'll also want to provide an opportunity for Conti to step up, so yeah, I guess they'll likely need to let someone go.
Cutting Smart would free up an import spot to give them more flexibility to sign a big, but with Cole's health history it might be the safer bet for them to let her go.

Reply #674234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I heard the rangers will keep anderson for another season."

Seriously ?!!

be interesting to see just who will play for them then
Heard they had a fare few players none too pleased with the coaching

Suppose we will have to wait and see

Reply #674242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong tried to sign Chambers, but Sydney managed to retain her.

So...

Reply #674254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's disappointing. chambers would have been a good get for Rangers, hope they can find a good coach for next season

Reply #674256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Rangers fan, I look forward to seeing Larissa coming back to coach.

Reply #674284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Rangers fan , I'd like to see a new coach replace Anderson
She may have been a good SEABL coach but WNBL is another level and she looks frazzelled when the going Gets tough and some of her decisions you just shake your head at
Nope time to find some new blood IMO

Reply #674288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Bishop signed for 2 years with Adelaide so should be back.

Reply #674385 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Abby is officially listed as a free agent

Reply #674392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A Letter To... Basketball
- By Chloe Molloy

Reply #674402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bishop has signed with Canberra

Reply #674403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done to Molloy,but talk about journalistic license lol,VCU has never exactly set the basketball world alight,but it reads well!!
good on her for realizing she had better chances in the AWFL than she was ever going to get in basketball.

and the crowds they can get at these AWFL games are just unbelievable,certainly looks like its got a big future so good choice

Reply #674404 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the jury is still out on how the AFLW will go, but if the AFL is committed then it certainly has the money to push it a long way (and push a lot of poorer sports out of the way in the process).

I don't know how long Chloe has been playing footy but she's a natural at it.

Reply #674406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by 2020 they are aiming to have every a womens team with every AFL mens team to play before the men,some of the crowds are getting bigger than the mens teams,so its going to get the backing thats for sure,only have to look at the TV coverage and newspaper articles to see its over taken any other female sport,next will be the longer season and bigger wages,so other sports will be loosing out if they dont/wont/cant match it.

Reply #674426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and the crowds they can get at these AWFL games are just unbelievable"

What? Already shrinking Season 2 ... and 100% Free Entry. It's designed to destroy other sports. It's embarrassing the way the media and the AFL behave.

The product isn't worthy of the attention and I am sure once they start charging something for entry the crowds will disappear.

Reply #674442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by giving free entry to a sport that needs followers they are creating fans,those same fans will continue to support what they enjoy.

AWFL gets more crowds than NBL,so think they have a half decent chance of growing the sport free entry or not,all those people eat and drink,many buy merchandise and big crowds bring in sponsors

Reply #674445 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I think Molloy played juniors then stopped to play basketball and only came back to footy last year a few months before she got drafted. Was drafted as a forward and had only really played there before the AFLW season started, so only just started to play up back but geez she's talented for someone still so raw.

But for sure it certainly looks like her move payed off - IMO if she had've stayed she would've ended up stuck coming off the bench unless she improved dramatically.

Reply #674447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly a much better footballer than baller.

Reply #674449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson made finals her first year, grand final her second year...wow there are some harsh critics!

Reply #674501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad track record from 3 season at the helm.
No idea where all this negativity comes from with Anderson - one season that's didn’t go well, plus all the injuries and suddenly she can’t coach? If she 'can’t coach’ and has delivered the results she has for Dandenong (finals 1st yr & Grand Final 2nd year - 2 out of 3 ain’t bad) then god help the rest of the coaches in the league!

Reply #674502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big changes coming at Perth. Budget cuts from last year. Kunek not coming back either she's headed back east

Reply #676078 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Brittney Smart signs with Sydney for 2 seasons. Nice pickup.
(and answers the question we were asking above about how Melbourne makes room for Mitchell)

Reply #676133 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I like that move by Sydney, she'll definitely add a lot of energy to that lineup which looked a bit patchy in terms of guard depth especially without Tupaea. If they could get Asia Taylor back as well I reckon they could be a pretty tenacious duo.

Look I'd be very surprised if Kunek left Perth.. Their game style suits her well and I thought I read somewhere that she said she was planning on re-signing. Though I guess if they're cutting their budget there may not be enough to pay her what she'd deserve. I hope they aren't about to become a cellar dweller like the old west coast waves.

Reply #676140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek leaving Perth is straight from the Willetton coach himself as she was about to sign with them for the upcoming sbl season

Reply #676145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am surprised about Alice leaving as she certainly played well and enjoyed an amazing license to do what she wanted. Perth spent heaps last year and no chocolates so the money justifiably is wound back. I might be the odd one out here but I still believe the coaching was sub par last year especially in finals.

Reply #676186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why Sydney would pick up Smart, I've never been a fan of her game, she’s a position less guard that shoots far too often IMO.

Reply #676188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agree totally, not a player I'd have imagined Chambers would pick, but if Boomers are looking to get Mitchell’s, they still have Conti fir another 3 yrs, and Cole is unlikely to move as she’s the only player that’s stayed with Molloy, then it’s probably a good move for her, but she’s going to go as one of Sydney’s imports as she’s still a USA citizen

Reply #676238 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Kelsey Griffin to Canberra for 2 years

Bendigo are going to need some big signings to stay a WNBL level team

Reply #676447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rebecca Cole is GONE. She wants out big time.

Reply #676449 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Wehrung to Bendigo apparently, and Ezi to pursue college instead of WNBL.

Reply #676454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe Cole would want out,
Smart is now naturalised so not an import for Sydney
Wehrung to Bendigo is believable, but Ezi to college, don’t think it’s the smartest move for one whose already in the Opals line up

Reply #676556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bec loves Melbourne and never played anywhere else. Plus guy loves her. I would be surprised as 2 position is hers you would think

Reply #676600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, there has been a lot of Bendigo players leave since Pritchard has been appointed Coach, is this a coincidence or not....

Reply #676638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

N

Reply #676641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldn't say that many have left since Pritchard,no more than say Rangers with Anderson last season,or Adelaide the year before. Players move,they get better offers or they dont like the coaching style or a dozen other reasons.
Plus depending on how the team does (unless of course your Boomers who seem to have found the pot of gold to pay players)the budget can rise and fall,Bendigo have been on a very tight budget for years,these women need to make a living,its a job not a hobby despite what BA seem to think.

Reply #676642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ not in agreeance with this post, if you speak to ex-players of Bendigo since Pritchard has been Coach they're less than complimentary about Coaching style & more specifically his strained relationships with players & his narcissistic mannerisms.

Reply #676644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep heard same about Anderson
But it's rare you get every player happy every season
For Griffin I think it’s time for a change

Reply #676658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree with poster above saying bad move for Ezi to college.

If she picks UConn she will be playing under a Hall of Fame coach with the best of the best at her age. She will improve quicker under Geno than having multiple coaches.

Otherwise she'll be having to go pro at a young age and playing back to back seasons in Oz and Europe.

Reply #676659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Canberras frontcourt is potentially..

Griffin/Froling
Tolo/Scherf

Reply #676662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+ Bishop

Reply #676678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College a much better path than semi pro leagues here. The standard is so bad on all fronts you can't develop as a player.

Reply #676686 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

According to Boti, the Boomers will be signing Leilani Mitchell, Cayla George and Steph Talbot and won't be re-signing Bec Cole. If that's true, that is some sort of lineup with O'Hea still contracted as well.

It'll be a shame to see Cole go, she was one of the very few who remained loyal to the Boomers from Bulleen-Melbourne and the ownership drama as well.

Reply #677053 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/leilani-opals-and-boomers/
(link to the boti article from prev post)

Reply #677054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George leaving townsville?

Reply #677066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batkovic, Garbin, aokuso rotation.

Reply #677067 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mansfield to Perth confirmed

Reply #677620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield to Perth? Not sure that is a great fit as she's a ball dominant PG & can dribble the air out of the basketball at times.

Reply #677624 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No better place than Perth to speed up her game though.

Reply #677652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they get a better frontcourt.

Reply #677653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield to Perth? Not sure that is a great fit as she's a ball dominant PG & can dribble the air out of the basketball at times.

Lol she's got to get it off Whitcomb first

Reply #677669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What frontcourt player would want to go to Perth. So guard focussed you wouldn't see the ball.

Reply #677678 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm assuming that Mansfield signing unfortunately means no Courtney Williams re-signing with Perth..

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/wnbl-canberra-capitals-forward-kate-gaze-signs-with-adelaide-lightning-20180313-h0xeo7.html

Kate Gaze is also off to Adelaide - which shocks me given that she signed with the Capitals SEABL with the intention of re-signing in Canberra, but anyway.

Reply #677698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace would be a great signing.
Not sure if she'll be fit though before the season.

Reply #677703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way would she be fit she only just did her ACL!

Reply #677706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did mine and I was back within 6 months.

Reply #677708 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

A bit of signing news around the past few days:

- Belinda Snell re-signed by Sydney

- Jaz Shelley (amateur contract) and Cayla George signed by the Boomers.

Really like that Shelley signing, it'll be interesting to see what she can do at the top level. Still surprised by George leaving Townsville, but Boti was right on the money with this one.

Reply #678425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shelley probably going to,college in 2019.
Not sure she'll get many minutes with Conti and dangelo on contracts + the starting back court.

Reply #678430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla was sick of being the 2nd big banana in TVille, her game was going backwards at a high rate of knots. She wants more touches & to be the 1st big option which was never going to happen whilst Suzy B is there. As soon as Suzy B retires Cayla will sign back up with TVille as her husband's family are in Cairns.

Reply #678452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garbin starts at pg now. Aokuso becomes suzies backup.

Reply #678456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be quite the transition for Darcee. Have the ball inbounded to her and back the player down from 94 feet I guess.

Reply #678467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pf sorry.

Reply #678468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers resign Maddie Garrick

"I'm really pleased Maddie is returning. We know she is an outstanding player who, though solid through last season, didn’t hit the heights she herself expected," explained Molloy.

“However, she is unbelievably dedicated and has her own points to prove. Therefore we expect she will be a very dangerous player by the time October rolls around.”

Garrick is the eighth player to be announced by the Boomers, joining Jenna O’Hea, Cayla Francis, Jaz Shelley, Monique Conti, Chelsea D’Angelo, Ash Grant and Kalani Purcell.

Tomorrow a new player will be welcomed to the Boomers Family in yet another exciting announcement for Melbourne’s WNBL team.

Going to be a long season sitting on the bench for either De Angelo or Shelley, maybe even both

Reply #678782 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'd say both.. I think Shelley and D'Angelo will be replacing Ott and Burton's minutes essentially.

In other signing news Shanae Greaves and Lara McSpadden are both returning for Sydney next season.

Miela Goodchild has committed to Duke University so won't be back for Townsville.

Reply #678931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess it gives Shelley somewhere to train before she heads to college? Funny one though given how anti-college the Boomers have appeared to be for years

Reply #678935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti plays footy also so it was the right decision for her not to go to college.
Dangelo should have gone to college imo.
Gould hopefully has college offers and Shelley most likely will go to Oregon in 2019 with Kelly graves recent visit.

Reply #678937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong need to boost there pg stocks.
An import and Rocci would help to go along with Lavey.

Reply #678942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers now sign Steph Talbot, another guard, hope those young ones get some cushions to sit on.

Dandenong need to sort out their coaching staff before they can get any players, hear they have been chatting to a well known name , but not sure they would be an improve or not.

Reply #678963 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Can't see Garrick starting in that lineup.. surely she would've stayed on for the chance of a championship cause she sure as hell won't be getting anywhere near the 30 odd mpg she'd been getting in previous seasons. IMO at this stage I'd think their starting 5 would be Mitchell, O'Hea, Talbot, Purcell (or import), George. Pretty damn dangerous and a fair upgrade on last season IMO.

Someone like Bec Cole to Dandenong perhaps?

Reply #678966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell/Conti/Shelley
Ohea/Garrick/Dangelo
Talbot/?/?
Purcell/Grant/?
George/?/?

Maybe 1 of kunek or Allen or import sf, 1 import big and 3 more DPs

Reply #678969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers plan: just keep spending more and more on players until the title has been bought

Reply #678974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra could be a contender if...

Hurst?
Import SG..
Allen?
Griffin
Tolo?

Reply #678980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From college..
I could see maybe reid going to dandenong to backup Lavey.
Vandenberg, Collins, Edwards as backup or DP centres somewhere.

Reply #678983 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'd love to see Allen and Kunek back at the boomers, but I honestly can't see them willing to come off the bench. Though in saying that when I saw the silhouettes they posted, the one of the right could definitely pass as either of the two.

Reply #679000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Mitchell even signed with Boomers or is that just an assumption

Reply #679013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assumption.

Reply #679016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers should get a pg that lavey can back up, she had a terrible season.

Reply #679027 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Canberra could be a contender if...

Hurst?
Import SG..
Allen?
Griffin
Tolo?"

Does anyone seriously think that Tolo will be playing next season after doing her ACL in late February? There's no chance of Bec Allen landing in Canberra either. Griffin is a great signing but they've got a lot of work to do.

Reply #679103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/wnbl-marianna-tolo-considering-a-return-to-the-canberra-capitals-after-acl-tear-20180223-h0wjfg.html

Reply #679111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole to Capitals

Reply #679135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra lost all heir players except Sherf as she was still contracted for another year, they all went looking elsewhere

has Hurst even said she will play or is it like Tolo,Allen,and Mitchell,all just hope and rumours

Reply #679154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rebecca Cole is GONE. She wants out big time.

I told you this 2 weeks ago.....

Reply #679156 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell to Canberra is interesting.

Boti was doing well with his dart throws until this.

Reply #679672 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Boti was doing well with his dart throws until this."

It just goes to show, when you're right 50% of the time, you're wrong 50% of the time.

Wonder where Hurst lands now?

Reply #679676 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, a slightly unexpected signing for me. Leilani is obviously world class but they already were very strong at PG with Hurst. I would have thought they'd keep Nat and maybe look to another position to spend the big bucks on a star.
Anyway it's a fair indication that the Caps mean business. Great to have Mitchell back in the league.

Reply #679678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour has it all but Sherf (who was the only one still contracted for another year)chose to leave Canberra, something must have gone wrong at the Caps last season for that to happen. This is a great signing for Caps and squashes the Melbourne Boomers rumour mill.

Reply #679692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it Leilani's goal to play for every club in the WNBL?

Reply #679721 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm surprised re Leilani - even Megan Hustwaite was saying the Boomers had her. My guess on Hurst would be either one last crack at Europe or retirement, I can't see her choosing to play anywhere else in the league.

Reply #679729 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Ezi to Melbourne for 3 years. I thought she was college bound for sure

Reply #681146 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Not sure if NCAAW is the best path for a player as talented as Ezi.

She will get drafted to the wnba next year (not sure of her exact age), likely in the top 5-15 or earlier.

After 4 years at an elite college she could be a top 1-5 pick.

There are risks though, injuries, getting recruited over and having minutes cut, and 4 years is a long time to be an amateur.

She will continue to develop in the wnbl, wnba and Opals program over the next few years and will be earning money as a professional during that time and could be ready for big Euro/Russia/China contracts by the time people her age are just finishing up school.

Reply #681167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good decision financially, terrible for development...

She would have been a much better player after 4 years at uconn.
Now, 3 years under Molloy...

Reply #681177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College is hyped up, it's great for those who are fringe players who would struggle to get spots in WNBL or even SEABL but for decent players they are better off staying here, they have as much chance of getting into
The WNBA if that’s their goal doing well in WNBL as they have on college, probably
More in fact
Yes they can get free college tuition, but most of the things they can study are not even recognised here so they still need to complete courses when they return

Reply #681178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine how much ezzi would learn from Molloy.

Reply #681180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 years..
plays pro
gets paid
gets a degree at Deakin
Stays with family and friends

End of her degree, she moves to wnba or Europe.

Reply #681181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name one player Molloy has ever produced that's gone to any heights !

She has Jackson there but how often is she actually in Melbourne, doesn’t she live in Albury

Reply #681197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good decision by Ezi. Who her WNBL coach is doesn't even matter. By going pro in a non-US league she is eligible to be drafted to the WNBA earlier than if she went through college, and the WNBA is where she'll get the best development. The aspects of her game that would have had the most attention at UConn are the aspects that she doesn't need any help with anyway.
Smart move.

Reply #681198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol,
Geno would make her 2-3 times the player she is today. A guaranteed wnba draft selection after a minimum 3 years at uconn.

Under Molloy, she will struggle to make the Olympics.

Reply #681202 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Elena Delle Donne left Geno's program after a short period of time.
I'm not sure how she even made the wnba...

Reply #681205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha yeah me neither. how ever did she do it without Geno's help?
Ezi is an automatic wnba first round pick already

Reply #681207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geno and staff turn stagnant traditional 5s into mobile 4s.

Ezi will just sit under the basket with Molloy.

Reply #681209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBA won't takr players they have to develop , they want them already to
go, she’s yet to mature in her body , let the kid finish her growing
If she’s good enough it will all fall into place, think she’s made the right decision to stay but she needed a better coach than Molloy , bit of a slap in the face for Gortis though

Reply #681244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloys assistants?

Reply #681248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you bother being a development player
With Molloy.

Reply #681252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson has pulled Ezi in.

She stays close to family/friends.
Degree at Deakin.

After 3 years, cya later. Off to America or Europe at 22y.o

Reply #681253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has any Boomers development player actually gone anywhere? Who are the development players for 18/19 season?

Reply #681404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monique Conti has certainly gone places. She was the Grand Final MVP!

Reply #681405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monique Conti was never a development player, she's always been in the playing roster. I'm referring to your legitimate development players who sit on the bench and get 0-2 minutes

Reply #681406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti and dangelo along with magbegor are on playing roster.
Gould, Burton and kalka were last years DPs.

Molloy needs to be booted at end of season for those top 3 players to development.

Reply #681407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree
Burton has been DP for numerous years under Molloy.
Gould going to college or returning dp ?

Reply #681412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully she goes to college like Goodchild, Bourne and others have has done.

Reply #681415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers development players are just bodies to make up numbers, Molloy couldn't develop anything, Conti "the golden child" has an army ( slight exaggeration but she has someone who wheels and deals for her) hadn’t been developed by Molloy either , she’s just constantly the poster girl, good advertising campaigns can sell anything , but when and it is when not if women’s AFL becomes a full time gig like the men’s she will have to choose , or rather her “agent” will and I doubt it will be Basketball because AWFL will pay way more

Ezi will be the same, their publishing area will promote the hell out of her , they did initially with Liz till her antics started turning people away from her

money talks and Boomers seem to now have money,and for some weird reason Molloy has managed to hang on to his coaching spot
Without Liz as the draw card though it will be interesting to see how this group go, hopefully they may be better without her but time will tell.

Reply #681435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can the justify the title of a "development player" if there is no real development occurring? What actually ends up happening with them and when do they become WNBL "ready" if at all?

Reply #681493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They get some development before they get cut or go to college.

Reply #681494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monique Conti has certainly gone places. She was the Grand Final MVP!

for football....did Molloy train her....maybe thats why he sucks as a bball coach lol

Reply #681515 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Anyway mods can move this thread to the Women's forum? Hard to find otherwise.

Some interesting signings! Boomers look set to be team to beat. Not sure what happening at Perth if all the funding is drying up, Bendat Boom or Bust? :/

On Conti, I did laugh a bit when on Offsiders it was suggested she was near the Opals side for CWG.

Reply #681961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone confirm....I'm rumours there’s problems at Dandenong, players not happy with coaching and relationships strained between coach and some players. Is Anderson under contract for 2018/19 season? I’d be sorry to see her go, results for her first two seasons were excellent, last season was riddled with injuries.

Reply #684515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard same thing from several people well connected to Dandenong and strained relationships not just with players but management
Yes lots of injuries last season their Spanish guard arrived injured from memory and at 38 really she was a gamble,Blicavs was a huge loss, and Lavey was only injured towards the end, they had other players who could have covered her spot but chose to bring in the assistant coach who had been retired for years rather than play her bench, that didn't sit too good from what was said around the league, plus Anderson ran her starters into the ground in such a condensed season she should have been smarter with her coaching IMO, but issues were there the season before, only got to look at player exodus
Suppose time will tell, think it’s a combination of bad recruits, loss of good players and poor coaching decisions, they may give her one more year , but also heard some former WNBL and national coaches may be in the running
Rangers have certainly lost a few players though the last few years who were longtime Dandenong players

Reply #684691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whispers coming out of Dandenong about strained relationships between Anderson and the playing group are certainly getting louder, I wasn't aware that included management. Somethings obviously changed, she seemed to have such a good rapport with the players when she was coaching the SEABL team. You make some good points about the injuries, player management and recruitment. At 38 the Spanish import was a huge gamble. Why they choose to bring Assistant coach Sam Richards out of retirement is beyond me, I’m sure that more than raised s few eyebrows around the league. Is Anderson out of contract or does she have one more year to go?

Reply #684701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of capable coaches in the Dandenong area...

The whole wnbl needs a overhaul anyway.
Melbourne has done well, but dandenong and Bendigo are really in trouble.
Personally I'd like to see it aligned with the Nbl asap.

Reply #684705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought she was signed through to the 18/19 season but maybe not

Anderson had a fabulous report with her core SEABL players as many she had played with and it extended off the court . Their is no doubting at the SEABL level they made a great team, but maybe WNBL is that step to high, their were questions when she was first appointed , perhaps it was too much pressure and without that core group who lets face it really could coach themselves they were that well oiled , that communication that's so vital wasn’t working

Have to say the few games I watched last season she looked a little lost and her assistant Kennedy looked more in control , he’s had a head coach role before at that level maybe he may be the next in line, just hope Dandenong get themselves sorted though as a whole, they have been faultering for several years as an association in general, think they need a major clean out across the board.

Reply #684709 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Caps have signed Tolo.
I wonder how much of the season she'll actually be able to play. If it's a significant amount then they're starting to look pretty legit with Mitchell & Griffin already on board.

2018 WNBL offseason tracker

Reply #684807 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Caps have signed Tolo.
I wonder how much of the season she'll actually be able to play. If it's a significant amount then they're starting to look pretty legit with Mitchell & Griffin already on board."

You'd have to assume she isn't going to play much (if at all) given she only tore her ACL in February. Sounds like the Boomers are announcing another player today. Can they go one better without Liz?

Reply #684812 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It will be tough, but Cambageless teams have won the past 7 WNBL titles so it's certainly possible.

Reply #684814 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Glad to see Caps are really re-loading. Even if they only get Tolo back late in the season they look like contenders

Reply #684853 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Lindsay Allen > Melbourne Boomers

Reply #684859 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Bendigo are making an announcement tomorrow at 10.30 am as well

Reply #684860 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Another WNBA player coming down under. Nice.

I'll be watching her 3 point shooting with interest this season (assuming she sticks on the Libs roster), because her college numbers seem solid, but in the WNBA her career total is 0-13.

Reply #684866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

huge HUGE difference between college and WNBA/WNBL,folks just dont seem to get that,college they are playing and training against kids,and most of the time kids who will never make a team outside of college,so much hype around college players,hold off till they can go the distance against older more physical and smarter players before you shout real loud about how good they are.

Reply #684868 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nat Hurst to Bendigo (is official)

Reply #685006 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hurst to bendigo

Reply #685014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting Canberra's cast offs hmm

Reply #685057 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Tolo has confirmed to Canberra. Huge signing if she can get fit, well done Caps.

Reply #685243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Things must be bad at Caps for Hurst to leave. Big red flag for mine

Reply #685252 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't think that's a fair conclusion to jump to. Another explanation would be that the Caps just signed the (clear) #1 aussie point guard, so it doesn't make sense financially for Canberra, or playing-wise for Hurst, for her to sign with the same team since she's still one of the best in the league too.

Reply #685261 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm fairly certain I read in one of the articles re Hurst that she wanted to test out her worth in free agency as she was promised a good pay raise by the Caps previous management which I'm assuming wasn't matched by the new management (which IMO is fair enough given she won't be playing too many more seasons), Caps didn't want to wait around and see what she would do - fair enough too, and signed Leilani instead.

Reply #685358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many players have Caps retained from last season?

Reply #685365 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

To date I believe they've retained Scherf (existing multi year contract), Froling and Rocci while they've lost Wehrung, Hurst, Magbegor and Gaze.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Jarry, she has signed with Sandringham SEABL but is yet to play a game with them..

Reply #685369 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Well just as I've mentioned Jarry she's popped up for her debut game with Sandringham today.. 28 points, 6 boards and 3 assists in just the 25 mins!

Reply #685462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caps have retained only 3 but that's still 3 more than Perth have retained

Reply #685464 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Kelsey Griffin has been waived by the Sun as she is unable to attend their training camp due to her hip injury. To be honest, that concerns me given she had supposedly recovered from that to play Comm Games, so if it's flared up again thats not good at all.

Reply #686381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any word on whether Dandenong are looking for a new coach or are they going to stick with Anderson? Is Anderson under contract?

Reply #686528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If this topic gets too long and unwieldy and it's appropriate to create team-specific off-season threads or major signings, go for it. Just remember to categorise them as "Women" so they're easy to find amidst everything else.

Reply #686553 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Re Perth Lynx....

With Clint Steindl still contracted with the Wildcats, you would assume Kayla Standish will be back with the Lynx.

I also heard that Alex Ciabattoni will be re-signing.

What's the go with Ali Schwagmeyer? Had a couple of cameo appearances last season as a replacement import, and at the time it was said that she was close to getting her permanent residency. She's tearing it up again in the WA SBL (as she does) and would be a very handy addition if she was classed as a non-import.

Reply #686564 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Ash Grant also back in Perth so maybe the one season over in Melbourne was enough for her? You would think that if the Boomers were serious about keeping her, then she would be playing in their BigV team, not back here in the SBL.

Reply #686565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ash Grant also back in Perth so maybe the one season over in Melbourne was enough for her? You would think that if the Boomers were serious about keeping her, then she would be playing in their BigV team, not back here in the SBL"

I think she's just back here to be with family and friends for a bit in the off season. From what I heard she loved it there and intends on going back to Melbourne closer to the start of the season.

Reply #686569 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I guess Ash Grant kinda sorta covers the vacancy left by Olivia Thompson (who I gather is is heading back to her home state).
I hope Ali's PR has come through because things have been super quiet with recruiting any Australians to the Lynx (hopefully it's because they've been so busy deciding which WNBA talent to add)

Reply #686571 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha, d'oh, looks like I responded too soon re. Grant.

Reply #686572 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of work happening behind the scenes at the Lynx. The Bendat's renewed the Lynx license last month, and history shows that they will do whatever is required to get a championship-level team on the court.

Reply #686577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Dandenong are looking at a few option, Anderson at this stage not resigned, also heard one of their main players for Rangers has jumped ship following some others that left the previous season,so watch out for that announcement .

Reply #686581 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think you will find that Ash Grant is signed to the Boomers:

http://wnbl.com.au/melbourne/news/ash-grant-extends-boomers-contract-signs-201819/

Reply #686584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like a golden signing for whoever's ship she jumps to

Reply #686585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Haha, d'oh, looks like I responded too soon re. Grant"

Haha yeah pretty sure she's happy in Melbourne and plans to stay with them.

Actually pretty smart by the Boomers to allow her to live and play in Perth during the offseason. If Melbourne want her long term it'll help avoid any homesickness issues that a lot of sports teams get effected by with young athletes.

Reply #686587 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac!

Reply #686595 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne doesn't have a BigV team - you may be thinking of the Bulleen Boomers however they are in no way affiliated. If there was an unofficial Boomers offseason team however it would have to be the Melbourne Tigers SEABL this season with the large contingent of present and former Boomers suiting up!

Reply #686596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers should be called Melbourne Boomers

Reply #686602 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Heard lots of bad vibes at Rangers WNBL. administration has undermined the coach and team. Anderson offered a contract after three months of delays. In the meantime the administration allowed most players to become free agents. Steph Blicavs has said she is leaving. Big loss to Dandenong.

Reply #686715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson back at rangers? Surely not
Change the coach you'll get the players back

Reply #686717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is there so much negativity around Anderson?

Reply #686738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure who is in charge of their Admin when it comes to SEABL and WNBL, but it is very unprofessional and I can understand how they lose players each year.

Reply #686742 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Surprised if Steph Blicavs leaves as thought she was part of the inner circle there and settled, not sure where she would go and fit in but most teams would obvs have her. Could be formidable up in Townsville I guess.

Reply #686745 | Report this post

casual observer  
Years ago

As a keen Dandenong supporter my clear impression of the situation at the club is coach Anderson continues to have a wonderful relationship with her players. She got the team into the finals in her first 2 seasons and had a terrible run with injuries in the 3rd season.Not a bad record considering she hasn't had the benefit of a marquis player at any time.

Reply #686747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph to Lightning

Reply #686750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Why is there so much negativity around Anderson?'

There isn't. It is just one sad little person here who is super obsessed with trashing her at every opportunity.

Reply #686751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ think its more than one whose not impressed with Anderson's coaching when you read through lol

Personally I think she was fabulous at SEABL level, but think maybe WNBL is a little too much pressure, SEABL it was more like a big group of friends playing, the playing group they had changed very little for several years, which brought them great success, so the question should be, was that because of the coaching, or the combination of players?
Move to WNBL , that’s a job, it’s business, and you can’t play favourites with mates if you want to win, so maybe it was player management and lack of experience at that level, poor player selection( who chooses players coach or board?) lots of injuries to contain last year, and some questionable decisions towards the ends, put it all together and it’s not what you would call ideal .
Something though has gone wrong with the formula at Rangers, they have lost players after making finals, what team does that, and they were big minute players. Clydesdale, Novosel , Scherf, their import big who had a stellar year whose name escapes me, and some handy fringe players too, now if rumours true one of their best if not the best players in Steph.

Hope they sort it out soon

Reply #686756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson is better than choker Molloy with marquee players. What a waste that was.

Reply #686757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Novosel is a nomad. Scherf was no loss at all. Clydesdale a shock since she has been Dandenong forever and is an excellent player. Blicavs a shock as well if true. Is it culture, money or players in need of a change of environment causing top players to leave?

Reply #686761 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Admin has a lot to answer for. Anderson has had little control over recruiting. She had no choice in Palau who was a bust.

Reply #686762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #686757
re: WNBL 18/19 signings
Anderson is better than choker Molloy with marquee players. What a waste that was.

No argument there lol, the fact he's been re appointed for consecutive years is the biggest head scratcher.

Palau was a total waste, instead of grabbing a washed up injured player they would have been better letting the likes of Antoniadou get more experience off the bench, Lavey, Blicavs and Toddhunter had the main guard spots covered, they didn’t need to bring in Palau. No point sitting your players on the bench while paying someone who’s at the end of their career and too injured to play. But loosing Sarah Blicavs was a big blow, everything seemed to be constructed around her, and they just couldn’t adjust once she was out, up until that point they looked okay.

Reply #686779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Blicavs to Adelaide

Reply #686921 | Report this post

The Mask appears  
Years ago

so can anyone confirm who is playing for the Lightning this season ?

Reply #686930 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

From what we know:

Clydesdale/Seekamp/Blicavs/Planeta/Novosel
Nicholson/Gaze/Brook

All here: http://www.basketcasepodcast.com.au/wnbl-offseason-tracker/

Need a big to cover Bishop leaving (she still going to Caps?) but could probably do that with Hamblin coming back too.

Reply #687022 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Blicavs to Lightning is now official
http://wnbl.com.au/adelaide/news/stephanie-blicavs-joins-mac-adelaide-lightning/

Reply #687058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for everything being fine and dandy at Dandenong then

Reply #687083 | Report this post

The Mask appears  
Years ago

is novosel playing or knee rehab ?

Reply #687091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandy not dandy?

Reply #687095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season captain Clydesdale left now this seasons Captain has followed suit,
Everything is certainly not right at Rangers

Reply #687098 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Kate Gaze to Adelaide from Canberra, hard to tell which team wins from that move. Boti ecstatic of course.

Reply #687100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard whispers around stadiums in Perth that Whitcomb will not be playing at the Lynx this season? Can anyone confirm?

Reply #687102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Blicavs/Cummings should never be pursued by Dandenong (her junior club) ever again as this is the 2nd time she has left them for other pastures. Loyalty is dead & long gone in the WNBL!

Reply #687105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would expect O Thompson to join Adelaide from Perth and J Good to resign

Reply #687106 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Hodges to take a season off to have a child

Reply #687108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Blicavs/Cummings should never be pursued by Dandenong (her junior club) ever again as this is the 2nd time she has left them for other pastures. Loyalty is dead & long gone in the WNBL!

Loyalty goes both ways, and the real question to ask is WHY are these longtime Ranger players leaving , don't question their loyalty, question why it changed , but then I think it’s nevoming very clear what the common denominator is

Reply #687109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunton is fit again. She would be a good post pickup.

Reply #687114 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've heard whispers around stadiums in Perth that Whitcomb will not be playing at the Lynx this season? Can anyone confirm?

I can't confirm but was hearing similar things, and wondering if it's why the Lynx had such a crazy early cut-off date for members to re-sign for next season.

Reply #687117 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

"Bunton is fit again. She would be a good post pickup."

Sydney rumoured to be the leading candidate.

Reply #687138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's too simplistic to put all the blame at Anderson’s feet in regards to Steph jumping ship once again (2nd time!), the last time Steph left it was because of Wright. Time for Steph to be accountable for her actions & start being a responsible adult rather than always pointing the blame at her past Dandenong Coaches. If there are issues at hand sit down in a mature & professional manner & talk them through in a calm & calculated way. Running off to join another team when the 'heat’ is on is not a terrific character trait & will ultimately reflect poorly on Steph’s reputation.

Reply #687149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever thought maybe as this is their careers they go where their interests are best served emotionally financially and career wise

Think it is never just because me reason why players move but an accumulation of several areas within the program , but to slam Blicavs for leaving is out of order, it's here choice and she’s probably got very good reasons for it

Reply #687154 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Well said. Steph has given great service to the Rangers. Her form there got her to Opals selection. Perhaps she needs a change to motivate her more given the terrible season Rangers had and the lack of recruiting this year could mean an even worse outcome. The extra money I guess helps as well.

Reply #687161 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Marena Whittle has signed with the Spirit. Was on the Townsville roster last season but didn't play a game due to injury.

On Steph Blicavs, I'd suspect that move to Adelaide will mean she will be able to play basketball full time instead of juggling WNBL and her teaching career. If that is the case, you cannot begrudge her for that, Dandenong should've been paying their players, especially arguably their most or second most valuable player, better.

Interesting re Sami Whitcomb.. Are these whispers in relation to joining another WNBL club, or heading off to Europe?

Reply #687170 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It certainly doesn't help when the Rangers have not yet finalised a deal with their head coach.

Players cannot wait forever and want some level of security. They would not want to sign with them when they cannot be sure who is coaching...

Reply #687180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something is wrong at rangers HQ thats for sure, to lose two captins in two years is not a good look, not to mention both of them being long term rangers players.

Reply #687216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb is signed. She signed for two years. I don't believe anyone involved in that organisation would just "let her go"

Reply #687249 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Kristy Wallace to Canberra

Reply #687261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunton definitely signed with Sydney Flames, I know she's been injury prone but it’s time for Big Al to close the gap between 'potential’ & ‘performance’.

Reply #687270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong Need some signings...
Maybe..
Blicavs, Allen, Jarry, Kunek, Cole, Mijovic, Roberts, Reid,

Reply #687272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whitcomb is signed. She signed for two years. I don't believe anyone involved in that organisation would just "let her go"

They may not have much say if she has an out clause.

Reply #687273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Intersting signing by Canberra. Knee reco rehab would only be a few months in so will be interesting to see if she is fit to get on court at all for them.

Reply #687274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caps loading up on ACL injured players. Weird. Maybe they are multi year deals because surely Wallace & Tolo won't be playing at all this season.

Reply #687276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season doesn't start for some time.
Plenty of time for recovery.

Reply #687278 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Not new but looking at Melbourne, going to be real interesting to see how all their players get playing time, especially if getting another import.

Allen/Garrick/Talbot/O'Hea/George
Conti/OtherImport/Grant/Purcell/Magbegor

Reply #687281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting 5
Allen
Ohea
Talbot
Purcell
George

2nd unit
Conti
Garrick
SF
Grant
Magbegor

Extras
Dangelo

DP
Shelley

Reply #687283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong Need some signings...
Maybe..
Blicavs, Allen, Jarry, Kunek, Cole, Mijovic, Roberts, Reid,

Dadnong need to secure a coach first
And in all seriousness why would anyone choose a line up like that
They already have Lavey, Sarah Blicavs, Rowe and Pizzey ,
Harry is too much of a liability , Roberts was woeful last year for most part of the season , ok at SEABL but WNBL she's just not fit enough
The likes of Allen cole and Kunek will depend on the coaching staff and Reid , no way unless it’s as a DP and she’s too old for that

They need to get s coach sorted to see just who will play under that coach first whoever it is

Reply #687292 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Rangers signings

Anderson Coach

Lavey, Mijovic, Rowe, Pizzey, Roberts, Pederson.

Reply #687299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no age limit to be a DP in the WNBL so that's not a barrier.

Reply #687305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that confirmed Anderson signing and Pederson ?

Reply #687310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Harry?

Reply #687371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think it's meant to be Jarry lol

Reply #687385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry is a bit of a nong, which is not surprising after being raised by a mum nong and a dadnong

Reply #687421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace signed on for 2 years.

Reply #687438 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Nice pick up, can learn from the best behind Mitchell with no pressure on having to rush her recovery to play a starting role.

Reply #687445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goriss said Wallace will start at sg beside Mitchell.

Reply #687457 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Cole to the Rangers.

Reply #687500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney have announced former AIS, Canberra, Adelaide & Dandenong centre Alex Bunton:

http://wnbl.com.au/sydney-uni/news/alex-bunton-adds-fuel-power-to-flames/

Bunton averaged 6.3 points & 4.6 rebounds with Dandenong in her last spell in the league.

Reply #687795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Dandenong definitely resigned Anderson as coach? I'm hearing conflicting information.

Reply #688056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the problem with the Administration at Dandenong? Rumours of major issues, administration unprofessional and underminding coach Anderson, taking too long to resign coach (If Anderson has in fact resigned), big name players leaving last two seasons, players reluctant to sign when they didn’t know who was coaching and general player unrest. Can anyone actually specify what exactly the issues are with the Dandenong administration or any other problems within the club? Obviously there’s some major problems.

Reply #688057 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Hypens are super important when talking about contracts.

Eg, Bendigo have re-signed bench player Kara Tessari.

Reply #688077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the problem with the Administration at Dandenong? Rumours of major issues, administration unprofessional and underminding coach Anderson, taking too long to resign coach (If Anderson has in fact resigned), big name players leaving last two seasons, players reluctant to sign when they didn't know who was coaching and general player unrest. Can anyone actually specify what exactly the issues are with the Dandenong administration or any other problems within the club? Obviously there’s some major problem

It’s certainly not all A ok there that’s for sure,

Reply #688100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson officially re-signed

Reply #688147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson back for the Nongers:

http://wnbl.com.au/dandenong/news/larissa-anderson-re-signs/

Will be interesting to see how they go without Steph Blicavs and with Sara still on the comeback trail. Anyone care to take a guess?

Reply #688156 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

I have them in the bottom 8.

Reply #688162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't do so well without Clydesdale and Novosel, now no Steph and sarah Blicavs , going to be a big ask

Reply #688164 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Can only wonder as to why the re-signing took so long. Definitely makes it tough now as most of the top-tier talent is signed up. Hard to see them being a finals contender, and it would be through no fault of Anderson.

Reply #688167 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Yeah the top teams look like Melbourne, Townsville, Sydney and Adelaide at this stage, so basically the top four last year with Perth swapped with Adelaide.

Reply #688207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sara Blicavs to dandy.

So far...
HC-L.Anderson
Lavey
Rowe
Pizzey
Blicavs
And possibly Cole...?

Kunek, Allen etc needed...
Import pg, import C etc.

Reply #688267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery and jarry would be good too.

Reply #688269 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Ebzery and Kunek I believe are intending to be Europe bound. Hopefully we get Allen back in the league though, it's been a fair few years since we've seen her play in Aus.

Reply #688305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who have perth signed so far then? Mansfield and Whitcomb?

Reply #688317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find Allen, Bishop, Ebzery and Kunek are all playing in Europe next year.

Reply #688346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... and Whitcomb

Reply #688351 | Report this post

disappointed  
Years ago

with the late signing of a coach at Dandy, who has been responsible for the recruiting, or lack of??

Reply #688376 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Pedersen is officially coming back for the Rangers & the Spirit will announce a signing tomorrow (Wednesday)

Reply #688761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody know if Amelia Todhunter is playing SEABL/WNBL for Dandenong this season?

Cheers

Reply #688834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody know if Amelia Todhunter is playing SEABL/WNBL for Dandenong this season?

Cheers

She was/ is but she's injured, heard she will be back at the half way mark

Reply #688844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is playing WNBL May be coming back to SEABL half way.

Reply #688845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many thanks

Reply #688846 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Bendigo have filled their first import spot of the season with American 6'5" C Rebecca Tobin. She played pre-season WNBA games with Phoenix and LA in 2015 and 2016 respectively but did not make any final rosters.

Reply #688868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole to rangers confirmed

Reply #689120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fire have signed former under-19 Australian representative Casey Samuels:

http://wnbl.com.au/townsville/news/fire-secure-casey-samuels-for-title-defence/

Reply #689208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kelly Wilson won't be coming back to Townsville and plans on playing in Bendigo or starting a family. Wiese and Mincy are open to having discussions to come back for a second season."

Not sure who your sources are but they are going at about 50/50.

Reply #689535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After a brilliant college career, Steph Reid could be headed to the Rangers

Reply #689556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as she stays away from the train wreck that is Frankston, she will be fine.

Reply #689581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McLean to spirit.

Reply #689582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After a brilliant college career, Steph Reid could be headed to the Rangers

Says who lol......mum and dad

Reply #689602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was awesome for buffalo.
Helped get them to sweet 16.

Reply #689604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge difference between college and WNBL especially for someone who's never played at a senior level at all

Reply #689611 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm hearing Reid's name is being linked with Rangers for WNBL too.

Reply #689612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Huge difference between college and WNBL especially for someone who's never played at a senior level at all"

A few college players making instant impacts in the WNBA so its not like doing the same in the WNBL isn't possible.

Reply #689613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wallace will be right up there as one of the best Australian Gs in the wnbl by the end of the season. Rookie of the year...

All depends on if she starts beside Mitchell or becomes her backup.

Reply #689618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide has signed WNBA players Kayla Alexander and Nia Coffey on one-year deals:

http://wnbl.com.au/adelaide/news/lightning-inject-wnba-talent-into-their-2018-19-roster/

Reply #689661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think Wallace will be right up there as one of the best Australian Gs in the wnbl by the end of the season. Rookie of the year...

All depends on if she starts beside Mitchell or becomes her backup."

It will all depend on whether she's even able to get on the court this season given she did her ACL just a few months ago!

Reply #689663 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Nice import signings by Adelaide there, they look to be building a competitive roster yet again. I must say though, interesting wording at the end of the announcement.. Only mentions Blicavs and Clydesdale - iirc Seekamp was on a two year deal? Surely they would've given their reigning MVP and Opals player a mention alongside those two if she were returning.

Reply #689685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly re Wallace, doubt she will be seeing much of the first years contract on court hence why a two year deal, and she would be coming off the bench I'm sure, especially her first year. She’s a good player but their is a big leap from college which is basically un23 to playing women

Reply #689704 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Only just saw the Lightning news. Very nice!

Reply #689705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just what the Rangers need, another point guard!

Reply #689751 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Jarry to the rangers.

Reply #690132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong looking like...

Lavey/Reid
Cole/?
Blicavs/Jarry/Rowe
Mijovic/Pizzey
Pederson/?

I think we might see Barr at rangers or spirit too.

Reply #690133 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

It's a bit weird that Perth players haven't been re-signed yet, or signed elsewhere.

Reply #690298 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

On Perth I'd say the answer to who will be re-signed can be found by looking at the players from that 17/18 roster who weren't WA locals but have remained in WA to play the state league over there - i.e. Ciabattoni and Standish.

I think I bought up Bec Allen a few weeks ago as to whether we'd see her back in the league this upcoming season. She's been signed by Polish side Basket 90 Gdynia http://www.australiabasket.com/Australia/news/532508/Rebecca-Allen-(ex-Lyon)-joins-Basket-Gdynia

Reply #690684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess they must be confident on re signing the entire team.

Reply #690730 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Massive blow for Perth with Sami Whitcomb exercising the European out clause on her contract http://www.perthlynx.com/Media/News/perth-lynx-update-sami-whitcomb

With both her and very likely Kunek gone that's a massive amount of scoring firepower out of the team. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep Williams to somewhat stem that bleeding.

Reply #690744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Highly doubt it

Reply #690751 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

No, not Sami! Not going to be as fun watching the team now. Williams wasn't ever coming back either I don't think. Going to be a new look team and with no one signed they're not going to get many top players.

Reply #690758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More money, new exp. why wouldn't you?

Reply #690759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for Sami. She gets no love from the Vic centric WNBL media anyway. She'll do great in Europe.

Reply #690764 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Yep very good move for Sami, I always wished she'd move to one of the Melbourne based teams one day so I could see her live more often but I guess there's always the chance she'll come back to play WNBL eventually.

It looks pretty bleak for the Lynx as it stands now with Mansfield being the only player officially on their books (still no Andy Stewart re-signing either from what I've observed).. it's pretty slim pickings on that free agents list in terms of the Australians left on the market. IMO they should have an Asia Taylor type very high on their recruitment shopping list.

Reply #690772 | Report this post

Yanny / Laurel  
Years ago

Lightnings import Coffey delivering in the W

Reply #690782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Updated 2018/19 WNBL squads after recent signings and defections:

Adelaide

Kayla Alexander
Stephanie Blicavs
Chelsea Brook
Nia Coffey
Aimie Clydesdale
Lauren Nicholson
Colleen Planeta
Nicole Seekamp

Bendigo

Nat Hurst
Cassidy McLean
Nadeen Payne
Kara Tessari
Becca Tobin
Abi Wehrung
Marena Whittle

Canberra

Keely Froling
Kelsey Griffin
Leilani Mitchell
Maddison Rocci
Lauren Scherf
Marianna Tolo
Kristy Wallace

Dandenong

Sara Blicavs
Rebecca Cole
Tessa Lavey
Carley Mijovic
Kayla Pedersen
Rebecca Pizzey
Tayla Roberts
Kiera Rowe

Melbourne

Lindsay Allen
Monique Conti
Chelsea D'Angelo
Maddi Garrick
Cayla George
Ash Grant
Ezi Magbegor
Jenna O'Hea
Kalani Purcell
Jaz Shelley
Steph Talbot

Perth

Lauren Mansfield

Sydney

Alex Bunton
Shanae Greaves
Lara McSpadden
Brittany Smart
Belinda Snell
Tahlia Tupaea
Alex Wilson

Townsville

Zitina Aokuso
Suzy Batkovic
Micaela Cocks
Mikhaela Donnelly
Darcee Garbin
Tess Madgen
Laurin Mincy
Casey Samuels

Reply #690808 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Kelsey Griffin , Leilani Mitchell , Marianna Tolo ....Oh my goodness....tooo good.... it's not a game .. it's a shame....

Reply #690810 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lauren Mansfield is gonna grow a beard and get her team to within a game of the finals

Reply #690814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kelsey Griffin , Leilani Mitchell , Marianna Tolo ....Oh my goodness....tooo good.... it's not a game .. it's a shame...."

Is Tolo going to play? Or Wallace?

Reply #690827 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Isn't Abbey Bishop returning to Canberra as well.

Reply #690867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opinions on who Perth will sign? Ciabattoni will continue to do well with more minutes and opportunity, Thompson I feel is out of her depth at times, but a shame Adelaide hasn't picked up local girls.

Reply #690871 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Townsville/Melbourne/Sydney/Canberra/Adelaide all shaping up with excellent teams. The rest will need some big signings.

Reply #690872 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne have signed 3 development players - Jade Melbourne, Lara Edmanson and Isobel Anstey (who was previously a Dandenong DP) http://wnbl.com.au/melbourne/news/melbourne-by-name-and-now-a-wnbl-boomer/

Reply #690930 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Dandenong have also signed Rachel Jarry http://www.basketball.com.au/news/wnbl/4735-exclusive-dandenong-rangers-add-dual-olympian-rachel-jarry

A quote at the bottom of that article by Larissa Anderson implies that Todhunter is coming back too, while she is not officially signed as of yet.

I'd say at this early stage all of the teams who have just about completed all of their signings look to be shaping up very nicely. I think we'll be in for a great, tight season yet again!

Reply #690969 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - expect to see Todhunter back at Dandy.

Reply #690970 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Also last off season I tried to keep a little summary going of how & where each team's signings were performing in the offseason - here's what I could find for the signings as at 31/5 (if I remember / have time I'll try and get these updated monthly)

Adelaide:
Nia Coffey (Las Vegas - WNBA) 28 mpg, 16 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg
Kayla Alexander (Indiana – WNBA) 14 mpg, 5.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.8 bpg
Lauren Nicholson (Launceston – SEABL) 37 mpg, 24.1 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.4 bpg
Kate Gaze (Canberra – SEABL) 30 mpg, 22 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg
Steph Blicavs (Kilsyth – SEABL) 27 mpg, 16.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.4 bpg
Chelsea Brook (Sturt – SA PL) 32 mpg, 19.4 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.9 spg, 1.3 bpg
Nicole Seekamp (South West – QBL) 29 mpg, 19.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 7 apg, 4.8 spg, 0.5 bpg

Bendigo:
Nadeen Payne (Bendigo – SEABL) 30 mpg, 23.9 ppg, 8 rpg, 2.3 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.1 bpg
Marena Whittle (Nunawading – SEABL) 29 mpg, 17.9 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.3 bpg
Kara Tessari (Bendigo – SEABL) 25 mpg, 12.4 ppg, 2.1, rpg, 2.8 apg, 1 spg
Abigail Wehrung (DV – SEABL) 32 mpg, 10.6 ppg, 4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.3 bpg
Nat Hurst (Sunshine Coast – QBL) 40 mpg, 23.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 7.5 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.2 bpg

Canberra:
Leilani Mitchell (Phoenix – WNBA) 17 mpg, 3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3 apg, 0.3 bpg
Lauren Scherf (DV – SEABL) 32 mpg, 22.2 ppg, 14.2 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.4 bpg
Keely Froling (Canberra – SEABL) 39 mpg, 19.8 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 3 apg, 0.8spg, 1 bpg
Maddi Rocci (DV – SEABL) 25 mpg, 10.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.5 bpg

Dandenong:
Bec Cole (Melbourne – SEABL) 33 mpg, 25.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.1 apg, 2.1 spg, 0.3 bpg
Tayla Roberts (Dandenong – SEABL) 32 mpg, 20.1ppg, 11.6rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.5 spg, 1.6 bpg
Tessa Lavey (Dandenong – SEABL) 33 mpg, 13.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 5.4 apg, 2.8 spg, 0.2 bpg
Kiera Rowe (Dandenong – SEABL) 31 mpg, 11.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.4 pg, 1.9 spg, 0.2 bpg
Bec Pizzey (Dandenong – SEABL) 17 mpg, 6.5 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 0.6 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.6 bpg
Carley Mijovic (Knox – BigV) 25 mpg, 15.7 ppg, 8 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1 spg, 1.7 bpg

Melbourne:
Lindsay Allen (Las Vegas – WNBA) 31 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 4 apg, 1.7 spg
Steph Talbot (Phoenix – WNBA) 9mpg, 2.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.3 bpg
Monique Conti (Melbourne SEABL) 34 mpg, 19.7 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.2 bpg
Ezi Magbegor (DV – SEABL) 29 mpg, 16 ppg, 9 rpg, 2.4 apg, 2.2 spg, 2.4 bpg
Chelsea D'Angelo (Kilsyth – SEABL) 26 mpg, 12.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.6 spg
Jaz Shelley (Southern Pen – BigV) 34 mpg, 20.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 5.5 apg, 4.6 spg, 1 bpg,
Ash Grant (Lakeside – WA SBL) 24 mpg, 15 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.3 spg, 2 bpg

Perth:
Lauren Mansfield (Launceston – SEABL) 32 mpg, 15.6 ppg, 4 rpg, 5.6 apg, 3.4 spg, 0.2 bpg

Sydney:
Britt Smart (Hobart – SEABL) 31 mpg, 22.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.9 apg, 2.8 spg, 0.3 bpg
Alex Wilson (Launceston – SEABL) 37 mpg, 17 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.6 bpg
Shanae Greaves (Sydney – SEABL) 28 mpg, 14.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.4 bpg
Tahlia Tupaea (Sydney – SEABL) 29 mpg, 13.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.7 apg, 3.4 spg, 0.9 bpg
Lara McSpadden (Sydney – SEABL) 29 mpg, 12.3 ppg, 7.8 pg, 2 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.5 bpg

Townsville
Tess Madgen (Dandenong – SEABL) 24 mpg, 9 ppg, 4 rpg, 6 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.3 bpg
Micaela Cocks (Townsville – QBL) 32 mpg, 22.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.8 apg, 2 spg, 0.3 bpg
Darcee Garbin (Townsville – QBL) 33 mpg, 17.8 ppg, 9 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.5 spg, 1 bpg
Casey Samuels (North GC – QBL) 30 mpg, 17.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.8 spg
Zitina Aokuso (Logan – QBL) 31 mpg, 17.2 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 2 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.6 bpg
Mikhaela Donnelly (Logan – QBL) 39 mpg, 13.6 ppg, 5 rpg, 5.4 apg, 1.6 spg

Reply #690971 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

abby bishop clas act......on paper canberra win the ship...

Reply #690974 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

2018/19 Lynx

Starters:
C - Import
F - Standish
F - Import
G - Ciabattoni
G - Mansfield

Bench:
C - Burton
F - Schwagmeyer
G - Pirini

Reply #690979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry , most injury prone player in the league
Toddhunter would already have been signed thats a given

Reply #690982 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

IMO would have Farnworth starting ahead of Ciabattoni in that projected Lynx lineup if she is returning, or even Schwagmeyer seemed decent in the game she played, but yikes even if they get some serious import star power they ain't looking too great at the moment.

Reply #690990 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Yeah and if they did push membership renewals early whilst knowing there's a team upheaval incoming and Sami possibly leaving then it's all rather dodgy by Lynx FO.

Reply #690993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I know Sami had informed the lynx of her exit before she left for the US. That's at least 6/7 weeks ago

Reply #691049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lindsay Allen looking very good in the early part of the season. Boomers fans should be feeling pretty good about that signing now.

Reply #691088 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Same goes with Adelaide's Nia Coffey, she certainly looks to be all star 5 quality at this stage.

Reply #691110 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

What's the go with Bishop? Reports linking her going back to France, does that mean no WNBL?

Reply #691226 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I saw an article which linked Bishop to return to Tarbes in France (she played there in the 16/17 season and from what I'd read enjoyed the city/club etc) which IMO makes sense given their star PF who essentially replaced Bishop last season has transferred clubs. At this stage I very highly doubt she will be playing WNBL this upcoming season.

Reply #691320 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Shame, she's one of the best players. With Tolo at Canberra she can't go back there. I think Perth and Sydney are the two teams that don't have a centre, so if having to leave Adelaide, going to Europe is fair enough.

Reply #691379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney have Bunton.

Reply #691386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynx finally making some noise off season, signing Asia Taylor

Reply #691573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing.

Reply #691574 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Maybe the Lynx trawl through this forum as I said a few weeks back how they should have Asia Taylor high on their list of recruits HAHA

Very good signing for them, but I can't help but think it'll be a bit like last season for them - a very very good three main players but the rest being streaky contributors.

Reply #691605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What others do you think they'll sign, any from last season ?

Reply #691619 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

IMO Standish is just about a lock given her soon to be husband is contracted for the Wildcats. Then I think Farnworth, Ciabattoni & Schwagmeyer will return - Burton too if she's not intending to go over to Europe. Given their lack of signings to date I wouldn't be surprised if they headed into the season with a 9 player roster again.

Reply #691622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"IMO Standish is just about a lock given her soon to be husband is contracted for the Wildcats. Then I think Farnworth, Ciabattoni & Schwagmeyer will return - Burton too if she's not intending to go over to Europe. Given their lack of signings to date I wouldn't be surprised if they headed into the season with a 9 player roster again."

Good signing by the Lynx, but not sure Schwagmeyer will be there unless she is a P.R.

Reply #691650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't Standish signed with dandy already

Reply #691653 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Standish is currently a FA as far as I am aware - she certainly hasn't been announced as a signing with Dandenong. If she were to go there IMO it's a backwards step for her in terms of minutes/role as they've already got Pedersen, Mijovic & Roberts on their books.

I thought Schwagmeyer was close to PR status last season, but again could be wrong. I do agree though if she doesn't qualify they'd go for a different import.

Also worth noting that Ruth Hamblin won't be returning for a third WNBL season as she's been signed by Belgium side Castors Braine

Reply #691656 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Nice to see Perth busy doubling their roster.

Taylor will be great, in that top five echelon of players last year, top three year before. So we know she is class. Just surprised Sydney didn't want her back.

Reply #691673 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Where is Alice Kunek playing? why do we think she wont be back at Perth.

Reply #691695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waves2Lynx - Sydney wanted Asia back for sure but couldn't get anywhere near the offer the Lynx put to Asia.

Reply #691701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400k I heard

Reply #691763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Louella Tomlinson to Bendigo

Reply #691811 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Any word on Kunek?

Reply #691865 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Maddie Allen (played for Canberra in 2016/17) has been signed by Perth and Carley Mijovic has been 'officially' re-signed by Dandenong today.

To be honest I'm not entirely sold on Tomlinson's game, but hopefully this move to Bendigo allows her to string together some solid consistent performances with a greater role than she had at the Boomers.

As far as I know on Kunek she's off to Europe for their full season and won't be playing WNBL this year.

Reply #691895 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

If Perth have cash to burn, why aren't they signing players or trying to get good ones before they were snapped up.

The fact there's no news from the likes of their former players like Kunek etc I think suggests they're most likely to stay or have some sort of agreement for next season, but no contract yet.

It's all speculation though, it's weird there's so little news out of them this off-season.

Reply #691897 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Allen seems likes an ok signing, playing well in SBL? Her chance to establish herself as a WNBL calibre big.

I think Tomlinson is a good get for Bendigo, at least she can play and soak up minutes when she gets the opportunity.

Reply #691899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 mediocre signings by mediocre teams
The top 4 is already set

Reply #691922 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Would have thought kunek would stay in the wnbl with her mates and also to play against the players she wants to compete against for a opals spot

Reply #691932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers adding to their coaching staff too

The Deakin Melbourne Boomers have unveiled their WNBL season 2018/19 coaching staff with a new member joining Head Coach Guy Molloy's staff.

Katrina Hibbert (Lead Assistant Coach), Paul Flynn (Assistant Coach) and Nicole Howard (Head of Scouting) will again form part of the coaching staff, with former West Coast Waves and Tall Ferns coach Kennedy Kereama joining as an Assistant Coach.

For Kereama, who recently handed the reigns of the New Zealand Tall Fern’s team over to Molloy, the chance to join Melbourne’s WNBL team is an opportunity he is looking forward to.

"I am very excited to be involved with the Boomers staff, players and club this WNBL season. I have always been a big supporter and fan of what the Boomers represent. Their community engagement, marketing and professionalism on all facets is what sets them apart from all programs. I am honoured to be a part of it," said Kereama.

Wasn’t he at Rangers, that’s every year Rangers assistant coaching staff have changed

Reply #691943 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Yes Kereama was on the coaching team at Dandy last season.

I feel that for those players at Opals squad level (particularly those who aren't locks for the final 12) this season is the one where they can pursue Europe if they want to - i.e. the 19/20 season will be the one immediately before the Olympics and most players generally come home for that season to prove themselves / participate in camps etc. iirc Kunek has played in Europe post WNBL season for the past few years now, perhaps now is the time she can put together a whole season over there. On her though, I have her as a smoky to make that world cup team at the moment with a combination of luck through injuries and positional depth.

Reply #691944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way kunek makes the opals again is if there are injuries to other players. She is a overrated player.

Reply #691949 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I think you could be right, Melb Fan. I'd like to see a fit Sara Blicavs in the squad before her, but it's not like forward depth is good for the Opals, so Kunek definitely has a good shit if she keeps playing well.

Reply #691992 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

*Shot

*%&! autocorrect.

Reply #691993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Mitchell, Mansfield, Ebzery, Lavey, Donelly, Clydesdale
SG - Whitcomb, Cumming, Wallace, Seekamp, Garrick, Cole
SF - Ohea, Allen, Talbot, Blicavs, Kunek, Wilson
PF - Griffin, Smith, George, Bishop, Garbin, Mijovic
C - Cambage, Tolo, Batkovic, Bunton, Scherf, Magbegor

I think this will probably be the WC squad.
Mitchell/Mansfield
Cumming/Ebzery
Ohea/Allen/Talbot
Smith/George
Cambage/Tolo

Wallace or Batkovic for the last spot.

Reply #691995 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Agreed Waves2Lynx, Sara had the worst timing to do her ACL - she could've easily cemented her spot in the Opals rotation and IMO push for WNBA camp spots this year.

At this stage if I were picking a WC 12 I'd be going
Mitchell - Mansfield
O'Hea - Ebzery - Steph Blicavs
Talbot - Allen - Kunek
George - Smith
Cambage - Batkovic

No Tolo, Wallace & Sara Blicavs with ACLs
I personally see O'Hea as more of a SG in the international scene - she was also used predominantly as a guard in the Comm Games lineup as well.

No Bishop as per this quote - 'Bishop recently decided to pull out from the Opals squad, advising that national team coach, Sandy Brondello, was extremely supportive and respectful of her decision, keeping the door open for a possible return in future. She would go on to explain that she made the decision after returning home from playing duties in Russia after reflecting on her career and life at this point' https://pickandroll.com.au/bishop-and-hurst-veteran-stars-shining-for-sunshine-coast-phoenix/

Reply #692010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those 3 will be healthy before the WC team is selected.
Whoever performs best in the wnbl season will be the one going.

Reply #692017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh crap thought WC was next year.. my bad.

Reply #692018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes far too early to be calling any WC teams, lots can happen between now and then

Reply #692029 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Waves2Lynx, I thought you were just talking funky-like saying "she had good sh#t" and the k/stroke error was the added 'a'. 'O' and 'I' dangerously close together!

Reply #692038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes far too early to be calling any WC teams, lots can happen between now and then."

Three months away from the tournament commencing is far too early? What we do know is that none of Blicavs, Tolo or Wallace will be recovered in time for September.

Reply #692096 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Agree those lineups are as close to best team possible we'll likely have. Does highlight the forward depth problem, most of those "PFs" are bigs who'd need to play there because of fit. For the team itself, I think the likes of Magbegor will keep getting picked.

Depth list I'd include Jarry at the end in either the 2/3, but she'd be on the injury list too.

AshT, I'm not that clever, forever making spelling mistakes.

Reply #692113 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

According to the BA calendar the Opals will be attending a tour/tournament/camp of sorts in China in exactly a months time, so I suppose in the coming weeks we will get a bit more clarity on the squad if/when the team for that trip is announced.

Reply #692135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry has been terrible for sometime. No chance.

Starting 5

Mitchell
Ohea
Allen
Smith
Cambage

Mansfield
Ebzery
Talbot
George
Batkovic

Blicavs(Cumming)
Open spot. TBD.

Reply #692156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole and Nicholson doing well in seabl.
Kunek In Big V.
Bishop in QBL.

Reply #692157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Jarry has never really been at that level even taking away her propensity for injury, You can probably count Smith out with college commitments this is her senior year so nodoubt very much will they be giving her time off

If a team is required in a month, it won't have half of them available either due to WNBA commitments ( which last time they wouldn’t let them off from) and injury, may end up being a very scratchy team

Reply #692164 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

It's probably a good thing if they do end up going to China that the WNBA players aren't there - they'd all be locks barring injuries for that final team, so it gives those who will be fighting it out for the remaining spots a chance to prove themselves.

It will be interesting what happens with Smith - you'd hope Stanford don't stop her from going I mean it'd be good press for the college and NCAA league to have one of their players playing at the World Cup but you never know.

IMO, the likes of Sara Blicavs and Kunek have overtaken Jarry big time. After her injuries I feel she's now a bit limited to SF which puts her back a lot in the pecking order when the other two plus Talbot & Allen can either play as a stretch PF and/or are athletic enough to potentially play more of a guard role.

Reply #692170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College season starts November.
WC late September.

Smith will be there I'm sure.

Reply #692176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Tolo, Blicavs and Wallace in for 2020.
Batkovic retires, Kunek out, Cumming out.

Squad after 2020.
You lose Mitchell, Mansfield, Ebzery, Ohea, George. Tolo due to age.

New squad =

PG-/PG-
Wallace/SG-/SG-
Allen/Talbot
Smith/Blicavs/PF-
Cambage/C-

Fill in the blanks...

Reply #692181 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Well seems all wrong
CONGRATS it's GREEN & GOLD for Katie-Rae and Tahlia!

Alongside Co-Coach Cheryl Chambers the girls form part of the Opals team to tour China in July to compete in a Four Nation Tournament in prep for FIBA World Cup in Spain. Keep watching for more details!

Hmmm

Reply #692189 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Tupaea.. interesting. I mean I guess that suggests no Lavey as surely they'd be going Mansfield for that starting PG spot. I'm a little surprised there's no Ally Wilson, considering theres likely no Allen or Talbot due to WNBA commitments.

Reply #692192 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Definitely not what you'd expect, unless they are thinking the comp will be slow and easy

Reply #692194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China look good atm with there new young bigs and quick guards.

Reply #692196 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Opals squad for the four nations tournament and camp has been announced - a few surprises I will admit..

Steph Blicavs
Katie-Rae Ebzery
Darcee Garbin
Kelsey Griffin
Alice Kunek
Tessa Lavey
Tess Madgen
Ezi Magbegor
Lauren Mansfield
Jenna O'Hea
Nicole Seekamp
Tahlia Tupaea

I'm surprised, but great to see Tess Madgen back in the frame. She had a bit of a slow start to her SEABL season, but she pushed out a near triple double in on of her most recent games. Also surprised to see no Batkovic, surely this means no WC for her as this is supposedly the final camp. Not too sure if this clashes with College hence the Smith omission, but I hope that is the case.

Reply #692217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 center?
China have 3 players over 6'7.

Could have taken Bunton or scherf.

Reply #692218 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Bunton's still a way off, only just re-commenced running a few weeks back. Although I do agree, Scherf's omission is puzzling given the lack of height in this squad. Looks guard stacked for mine, but I guess the guard spots are probably the ones more up for grabs than the bigs so I have no issue there if they want to test out what their guards are made of.

Reply #692220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we are testing possible WC players and prospects. Should have been...

Mansfield/Ebzery
Blicavs/Seekamp/Madgen
Ohea/Kunek
Griffin/Garbin
Magbegor/Scherf/Aokuso

Lavey should be done. No room for her.
Tupaea still a little raw.

Reply #692221 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tuppaea and Sherf are too slow for Chinese players. Lavey, Garbin and Magbegor are lucky to be selected. Not sure why Smith is omitted?

Reply #692222 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

College will be started , the play preseason so probably why no smith

Sherf isn't slow and her SEABL statsare good, so strange omission in such a small line up
Tupaea way to slow but can nsidering Chambers is her WNBL coach that’s probably why the inclusion ,
Very strange line up unless Griffin and Kunek are playing centres

Reply #692225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sherf has always been a good seabl player, she can't back it up in WNBL thoe.
I dont know whats more ridiculous, lavey getting a spot again or tupea getting a call up?

Reply #692234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Thompson getting a WNBL gig this season?

Reply #692235 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

"
I dont know whats more ridiculous, lavey getting a spot again or tupea getting a call up?"

Couldn't agree more , who’s picking these sides ?

Reply #692236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously Thompson will be a late call up if at all. She isn't dominating as much in her league as she in the past, bit hot or cold, she’s awesome when she’s on task though. Would’ve liked to see Wilson in that squad.

Reply #692238 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Ebzery is one who I'm surprised hasn't been signed yet. Maybe another European bound.

I think the Opals squad is fine, it's basically a WNBL training camp. Coulda used another big of course. Will see what happens.

Reply #692253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

without Cambage, we are not even a top 5 team anymore.

Sure.. we should get gametime for those who will be at the WC.

Locks - Mansfield, Ebzery, Blicavs, Ohea
Possibly Kunek, Griffin(if Mitchell gets injured), Magbegor

Other than the 7 above. The rest of the spots should go to young prospects.
The others on the list have already been tested numerous times and have failed to impress.

Reply #692254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Test...

Nicholson
Wilson
Garbin
Aokuso
Scherf

Reply #692255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tuppaea and Sherf are too slow for Chinese players. Lavey, Garbin and Magbegor are lucky to be selected. Not sure why Smith is omitted?"

Given Cambage, Tolo, Batkovic, George, Bishop, Bunton, Sara Blicavs and Smith are all unavailable, and you note Scherf is too slow, who are you selecting if Garbin and Magbegor are lucky?

Reply #692272 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Based on last WNBL season stats, I'd choose Nadeen Payne or Carly Mijovic over Sherf.

Reply #692276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Maybe look at the seabl stats.

Reply #692277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scherf wasn't selected

Reply #692278 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are you trying to compare WNBL to SEABL? Lol.

Reply #692279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scherf was a backup at Canberra.
Mijovic was in the starting lineup at Dandenong.

Reply #692280 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Neither Payne or Mijovic play a 4/5 , Sherf does.

Sherf wasn't initially back up at Canberra , Misty Bass took starting role in second half of season

Sherf also has far better stats than Magbegor in bothnWNBL and SEAL

Seems she’s constantly overlooked

Reply #692282 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression of Griffin being able to play 5 positions...

There's some bull goes around about some players being able to do this ...
but , I'd reckon she looks likely .....
come in griffin haters...

Reply #692306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doing very well and better than most on the opals list....

196cm C L.Scherf (1996) SEABL stats
21 points
14.5 rebounds
2.6 assists
43.8% fg
89.2% ft

193cm PF/C E.Magbegor (1999) SEABL stats
16 points
9.1 rebounds
2.4 assists
55.8% fg
59.5% ft

192cm PF/C Z.Aokuso (1998) QBL stats
17.75 points
12.25 rebounds
1.88 assists
39.86% fg
56.1% ft

189cm PF D.Garbin (1994) QBL stats
19.75 points
8.5 rebounds
2.25 assists
40.65% fg
90.91% ft

188cm SF/PF K.Froling (1996) SEABL stats
21 points
11 rebounds
3 assists
39.7% fg
75.6% ft

Reply #692309 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Those FT% for Magbegor & Aokuso are concerning.. To be honest though, Aokuso isn't near Opals level yet - perhaps one for the future, yes, but she needs a lot more court time in the WNBL before she makes an Opals team.

Scherf has been massive this SEABL season, hopefully the Opals staff have identified areas in her game she needs to work on so she can go and force her way into the squad in the near future.

Reply #692357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With George moving to Melbourne, Aokuso becomes the first big off the bench.

Garbin/Batkovic frontcourt to start.

Reply #692358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fire still look like they have an import spot available

Reply #692368 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The Lynx have gotten busy in a hurry with signings - Alison Schwagmeyer has now become a unrestricted player so they have signed her, Maddie Allen has signed last with the Captials, Standish as expected has resigned and so has Toni Farmworth. What do we think of the team so far?

Reply #692369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so far it is just last year's team except minus their 2 standout players so they're basically going to suck. actually even Kunek was useful last year and they lost her as well. they will fight with Bendigo for the wooden spoon.

Reply #692371 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Schwagmeyer will fill Thompson's role in the rotation last season and back up anywhere on the back court if needed too. Assuming they get another Whitcomb calibre import guard then they should be competitive even if unlikely to make finals.

Williams -> Mansfield
Whitcomb -> Import?
Kunek -> Taylor
Standish -> Standish
Dowe -> Allen

Burton -> re-signs?
Farnsworth -> Farnsworth
Ciabattoni -> re-signs?
Thompson -> Schwagmeyer

Carly Boag is playing SBL, maybe she's another who signs.

Reply #692435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Thompson going, any news on her signing? Adelaide maybe?

Reply #692437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schwagmeyer is nothing like Thompson at all so that is a very weird comparison. Luckily for Perth one of the ways she is unlike Thompson is that she is good at basketball and worthy of minutes in a WNBL team.

Reply #692455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the Western Australian, Burton & Ciabattoni will be joining Whitcomb in Europe:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/redemption-drives-returning-perth-lynx-trio-ahead-of-2018-19-wnbl-campaign-ng-b88864471z

Carly Boag has done an ACL so she's not a Perth signing and it looks like Thompson and Williams won't be returning either.

Reply #692476 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/redemption-drives-returning-perth-lynx-trio-ahead-of-2018-19-wnbl-campaign-ng-b88864471z

Burton & Ciabattoni apparently are off to Europe, as well as Whitcomb and Kunek which we already knew.

I'd be surprised if Thompson made a roster this year, she didn't do overly much for Perth last season and seems to have really dropped off in the SA premier league too which is a bit of a concern.

Reply #692477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thompson was a powerhouse as a junior and usually dominates in premier league. Her season in seabl a few years back was anything but great. Looking st her last few roster spots in wnbl, usually starts off good but rapidly declines as her flaws come forth. Hope she can get back on track.

Reply #692485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of players have fallen. Look at jarry.. a former wnba player and was once a starter for the opals.

Reply #692486 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Perth have signed Katie-Rae Ebzery.. a pretty good signing for them, now they just need a star import big and they'll be back in the race for the top 4.

Reply #692494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield/.?
Ebzery/Farnworth
Taylor/Schwagmeyer
.?/Standish
.?/Allen

Reply #692498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what universe is Asia Taylor playing as a small forward in the WNBL?

Reply #692504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a CF. she can play both.

Reply #692505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what universe is Asia Taylor playing as a small forward in the WNBL?

-why not? it's what she plays in the WNBA

Reply #692508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More likely I think

Mansfield/schwagmeyer
Ebzery/local
Import/Farnworth
Taylor/local (they had rintalla as a training player lad year
Standish/Allen

They had a couple of young guards as dp' s last year (motti, fejo, denahey) that might take the last guard spot

Reply #692510 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that Lynx roster is coming together late, but it's coming together pretty strong too.
Mansfield, Ebzery & Schwagmeyer is a strong trio of non-imports to build around.

Front court still looks weak though, just like last season. Very curious to see how we round that out. With a good enough 5 this team could do some damage.

Reply #692521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In what universe is Asia Taylor playing as a small forward in the WNBL?

-why not? it's what she plays in the WNBA"

Except she doesn't play in the WNBA and that's why she was recently waived and hasn't been picked up elsewhere. Furthermore, you wouldn't play her on the perimeter because she can't shoot! In the WNBL, she does a great job of using her physicality in the post but she's too small to do that in the WNBA. A more realistic lineup is:

Mansfield/???
Ebzery/Farnworth
Schwagmeyer/???
Taylor/Standish
???/Allen

Reply #692523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schwagmeyer hasn't proved herself to be a starter yet and you want imported bigs to match up with the big girls from other teams.

Reply #692525 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Theres the answer on Ebzery. Should be a good All-Aussie pairing with Mansfield. Strange that Burton/Cibattoni are going overseas. If their agents are good, go for it. Interesting to see what type of import big they sign.

Reply #692531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signings have been a little quiet, surely there are still players looking for a roster?? Teams don't appear finalised, any recent news.

Reply #695213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's only July...

Reply #695248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lynx game built on a lot of perimeter shooting ! not sure if their signing are going to light it up consistently as Williams and whitcomb.
im sure schagmeyer will be fine in the WNBL but don't expect her to be putting up big numbers like a whitcomb who come out of the same league WSBL. anyway good luck to the lynx , they were always going to be in the race.

Reply #695254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lynx game built on a lot of perimeter shooting ! not sure if their signing are going to light it up consistently as Williams and whitcomb.
im sure schagmeyer will be fine in the WNBL but don't expect her to be putting up big numbers like a whitcomb who come out of the same league WSBL. anyway good luck to the lynx , they were always going to be in the race.

Reply #695255 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Today the Perth Lynx re-signed Andy Stewart for 2 years, and signed Shyla Heal
Perth Lynx add young gun Shyla Heal

Reply #695354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So she's shy?

Reply #695376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamie Scott (Canadian international) bendigo spirit.

Reply #695378 | Report this post

Maree  
Years ago

Kelly Wilson to Canberra

Reply #695612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously Kelly Wilson to Canberra, haven't they got Mitchell as their PG, plus Wallace and Rocci, thought she was retiring that’s why she left Townsville, !

Reply #695662 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Surely Wallace will be missing most, if not all, of this season though.

Reply #695670 | Report this post

Maree  
Years ago

http://wnbl.com.au/uc-capitals/news/uc-capitals-add-three-time-champion-kelly-wilson/

Who will be beating Canberra this season?

Reply #695680 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andy Stewart was at Frankston vs Diamond Valley SEABL game last night.

Reply #695689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Reid LC?

Reply #695698 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I reckon Andy was checking out Stacey Barr who is looking to return to the WNBL from footy. She's putting up nice numbers in the SEABL and has had a previous stint with Perth.

Reply #697067 | Report this post

the oracle  
Years ago

Lightning add Davidson - Adelaide roster looking good.

Reply #697070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Davidson

Reply #697071 | Report this post

the oracle  
Years ago

tall fern Davidson - on wnbl website

Reply #697136 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Rangers looking to sell their licence. Can't justify spending so much money on a national program.

Reply #697943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anymore news on player movement/signings?

Reply #698998 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #700118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when did Kia Nurse become a star in WNBA ??

Reply #700130 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha some artistic license there yes, but I've heard worse and I think it's fair enough in this case. She is playing major rotation minutes as a WNBA rookie and will be a very good player in the WNBL.

Reply #700134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UConn goggles.

Reply #700135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Updated 2018/19 WNBL squads:

Adelaide

Clydesdale - ???
Seekamp - ???
Blicavs - ???
Coffey - Planeta
Alexander – Davidson - Brook

Bendigo

Hurst – Tessari
Wehrung - McLean
Scott – Whittle
Payne – Wild
Tobin – Tomlinson

Canberra

Mitchell – Rocci
Nurse – Wilson – Wallace
Froling - ???
Griffin – Young
Scherf – Tolo

Dandenong

Lavey - ???
Cole – Rowe
Jarry – Blicavs
Mijovic – Pizzey
Pedersen – Roberts

Melbourne

Allen – Conti
Talbot – Garrick – D'Angelo
O’Hea – Shelley
George – Purcell – Grant
Magbegor - Boothe

Perth

Mansfield – Heal
Ebzery – Farnworth
Schwagmeyer - ???
Taylor – Standish
??? - Allen

Sydney

Tupaea – Graham
Wilson – Smart
Snell - ???
Johnson – Greaves
Bunton - McSpadden

Townsville

Cocks – Donnelly
Madgen – Beck
Mincy – Samuels
Garbin - ???
Batkovic - Aokuso

Reply #700157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ nice work. i reckon caps will use nurse as a 3.

Reply #700158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra
Mitchell - Wilson - Rocci
Wallace -
Nurse - Young
Griffin - Froling
Tolo - Scherf

Reply #700159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they get healthy then that is a great list.

Reply #700160 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I think it is fair to say in the WNBL Kia Nurse will be a huge star! she is a Uconn star and a olympian!

Reply #700188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nat Burton is an olympian too sooooo

Reply #700192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ and you are not loser!

Reply #700195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra

Mitchell - Wilson - Rocci
Wallace -
Nurse - Young
Griffin - Froling
Tolo - Scherf

You'd expect Wallace to start at SG if she was fit and healthy, but didn't she do her ACL in February like Tolo?

Griffin and Froling both recovering from surgery at the moment and I'm told Scherf broke her collarbone too.

Reply #700286 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

When is the last time Nat Burton was a WNBA player.... come on if you cant give Kia Nurse credit as a baller than you have no idea about basketball.
on a side note - How Nat Burton was an Olympian to this day still puzzles me.

Reply #700324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nurse is a fantastic defender, 3 pt shooter and teammate. A lock for the Canadian national team for a very long time.
All the best to her.

Reply #700327 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth Lynx sign WNBA young gun Kaela Davis

I really thought we'd go bigger with our 2nd import.

Reply #700390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah this is a surprise their best best of Mansfield-Ebzery-Davis-Taylor-Allen/Standish is very small. What Aussie bigs are left available for their last spot?

Nurse is a great signing for Canberra

Reply #700489 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

*best lineup. Above was me.

Reply #700490 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

looking forward to the season some good line ups - will be interested in the new faces and if they can translate their games to be stand outs in the WNBL.

Reply #700495 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Awesome to see Kia Nurse playing on Aussie shores. She certainly is a feisty, yet accomplished player for someone so young.

It's a shame that Courtney Williams doesn't appear to be returning for the upcoming season.

Reply #700517 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Concerning for the Lynx that Kaela Davis is currently missing her 3rd WNBA game in a row due to a flare-up of her Meniere's Disease.

Reply #701392 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Seriously Kelly Wilson to Canberra, haven't they got Mitchell as their PG, plus Wallace and Rocci, thought she was retiring that's why she left Townsville, !"

Kelly Wilson never retired, they didn't offer a contract and signed Madgen.

Kelly Wilson is the best pure point guard in Australia, played injured last WNBL and made some Australian team selections look second rate in SEABL.
Was CLEARLY the best player in SEABL to those watching the games. Totally dominated.

27/20 in the SEABL GF after not training all week.

A LEGEND of the women's basketball, and if BA were serious about winning Gold this year, she would be starting and setting up Cambage all game.

Reply #701601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just looking at basketcase offseason tracker, quite a few players still appear to not have contracts, if it's up to date. Perth in particular.

Reply #702110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reid is a good pickup for Dandenong. Will probably push Lavey and toddhunter to the bench by seasons end.

Reply #702113 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reid is a dynamo. Great pickup.

Reply #702119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the history of the WNBL, has any team managed to bring together 4 worse coaches than the Boomers? IMO they're not weak, they’re aggressively bad.

Reply #702128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo last place...

Reply #702130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#702128 you need to elaborate, your point is unclear. Molly's track record speaks for itself (doesn't win, doesn't develop), not sure what you're basing your attack on his AC's on though, unless I've misunderstood your point?

Reply #702140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of recent signings including Steph Reid to Dandenong:

http://wnbl.com.au/dandenong/news/stephanie-reid-signs-for-wnbl19/

And Ally Malott to Townsville:

http://wnbl.com.au/townsville/news/malott-to-power-up-the-fire/

Reply #702526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sarah Elsworthy
Olivia Thompson
Jess Good
Shannon McKay
Alex Ciabattoni

Any news on these SA girls??

Reply #702542 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

"Reid is a good pickup for Dandenong. Will probably push Lavey and toddhunter to the bench by seasons end."

Settle down lol she will be lucky to even make the bench ,

Reply #703065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sarah Elsworthy
Olivia Thompson
Jess Good
Shannon McKay
Alex Ciabattoni

Any news on these SA girls??

"We could not be more thrilled to have secured Chris," Lightning and 36ers chief executive Guy Hedderwick said.

"He is going to rebuild the brand using South Australian players. This is a huge coup for women's basketball in South Australia and for the Lightning.”

“My goal is to rebuild the Lightning as a South Australian team,” [Chris Lucas] said.

June 2016

Reply #703099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex Ciabattoni has signed in Italy.

Reply #703100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has signed Tasmanian Ellie Collins:

http://wnbl.com.au/perth/news/perth-lynx-sign-ellie-collins/

Nat Burton signed in Germany and Alex Ciabattoni in Italy.

Reply #703127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashley Spencer was left off that list of SA girls. Jess Good to England. Still a couple of non signings.

Reply #703151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible leagues.... just a holiday.

Reply #703153 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Concerning for the Lynx that Kaela Davis is currently missing her 3rd WNBA game in a row due to a flare-up of her Meniere's Disease.

Lynx have signed Brittany McPhee to replace Davis
https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/sami-whitcombs-endorsement-leads-to-perth-lynx-signing-import-brittany-mcphee-ng-b88956278z

Reply #703916 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

what a shame they dont look to use Australian players

Reply #703943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No legit bigs for Perth and roster is complete?

Reply #703947 | Report this post

Hearsay  
Years ago

Laney to Dandenong.

Reply #706288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 DPs to dandenong also.

00 M.Puli
01 L.Tear poa
01 G.Amoore
02 L.Hanafin

Reply #706292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing to see SA girls not signed unless there was no intent to play.

Reply #706307 | Report this post

ranger fan  
Years ago

Saw Amoore in practice game. She out Conti'ed Conti , a great prospect.

Reply #706992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She did, in limited minutes.
Impressed as a dp for sure. Odd that she's from Ballarat and has gone all the way to dandenong over Bendigo.

Contis the backup atm, be interesting to see young Heal also at Perth.

Reply #706994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shyla heal just turned 17 like 2 weeks ago. does that mean she was 14 when she was playing for the seq stars? 14???!!!??

Reply #706999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something like that.. but her dad was coach.

Reply #707000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane realised there's no money in business (lol) so has pushed her early.

Reply #707002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is she a dp or contract player? Probably had some big schools after her.

Reply #707004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from the lynx website about Heal - "The point guard, who turns 17 in September, joins the Lynx on a two-year contract as a member of the full playing squad."

Reply #707021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal not scholastic at all, so college not an option

Reply #707032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So she takes after her father...

Reply #707055 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I would have thought Elsworthy and Thompson were worth a roster spot somewhere.

Reply #707067 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

LOL I'd forgotten Heal playing at 14. Ludicrous stuff. Not even LJ played pro ball that young

Reply #707068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thompson hasn't changed since u10 not a team girl and whilst she starts off well, is usually relegated to bench after a few weeks. Having said that, there was also talk from the ville she was transferring to netball. Think Elsworthy is a dp for Adelaide, but not 100% in that

Reply #707075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She played last season as the second option behind a teenage chucker without complaining. Not sure what you're on about not being a team player

Reply #707088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much depth in the wnbl just yet, will take some time.
Should be another import spot to help in the meantime,

Reply #707092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL has been going since 1981 get a clue!!

Reply #707101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going

Canberra - Mitchell/Wallace/Nurse/Griffin/Tolo
Townsville - Cocks/Madgen/Samuels/Mallot/Batkovic
Melbourne - Allen/Ohea/Talbot/George/Magbegor
Dandenong - Lavey/Laney/Jarry/Blicavs/Pederson
Perth - Mansfield/Ebzery/McPhee/Taylor/Allen
Adelaide - Seekamp/Blicavs/Nicholson/Coffey/Davidson
Sydney - Smart/Snell/Wilson/Johnson/Bunton
Bendigo - Hurst/Scott/Whittle/Payne/Tobin

Reply #707108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like elsworthy is working at BSA.

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/news-and-events/news/female-participation-and-3x3-development-officer-appointment

Reply #707116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754