Anonymous
Years ago

NBL and Filipino Australians

After witnessing the oddity of last night - a majority away crowd watching our Boomers play at home - it reminded me of how passionate Filippinos are about basketball. It is one of only two countries in the world where the game is the national sport.

We have many Filo-Aussies in this country yet in terms of NBL they have been ignored. While LK is focusing on pie in the sky things like China, India and AFL this group has been ignored.

To have such a basketball mad group in Australia be completely ignored and not engaged with by the NBL goes to show what a non-effort the league has done to try and exploit a group of people who already love the game.

Are there others who feel this way? Untapped potential even in the new LK era. Do something.

Topic #42765 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's something to definitely go after, but its also going to be hard. Without stereotyping too much, from what I've seen online they seem to be big fans of their own league, and big NBA bandwagon fans, but they don't seem to have much of an interest in the Aussie league. They either love supporting the 'best' (hence often coming off as bandwagon fans following the best players/teams) or supporting their own (hence why they are big fans of their own league and country)

Definitely something to go after though, would be a big section of the market for the NBL to gain. Best way imo to get them interested would be a couple of Filipino players in the NBL, similar situation to Singh is Sydney (but would be more effective in gaining interest imo). Get them initially interested via their patriotism, then get them interested in the league once they hopefully see its a decent league.

Reply #674162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I forgot to mention it but NBL should definitely recruit Fil players which will help. Astounding they've done it with Chinese and Indians but not Fils.

Reply #674167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Indian league would pay peanuts. Filipino league wouldn't. Nor in China. The Chinese players we've had here have been pretty token.

10 years ago, the Slingers had Jason Castro lined up to play for them, then withdrew from the league.

Reply #674176 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Worth pursuing for a backup 1 or 2 spot but not worthy of anything else.

Slingers recruited good Philipino players post NBL era at the start of the ABL. Ball skills are good, shooting beyond the 3 tends to be good. Defence in our league would be their risk. Subject to man handle the whole floor, so would be foul prone.

When the Sixers played the Phillipines team in Darwin the crowd would have been 1500 phillipino and 100 other

Reply #674180 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One time ago west bearcats went to phillipines and werner brought back the news papers to show us that they were on the front page...

Reply #674181 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Werner Linde?

Old school even by my standards.

Props.

Reply #674184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi grandad Camel. What year did Bearcats go to Philippines?

Reply #674185 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm from the sixties.... I don't remember a lot of it...
Werner Linde most likely australia's best shooter... I think it was about 1967 approximately...
What do they call me , my name is grandpa ... grandpa is my name...

Reply #674192 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think a man walked on the moon '68 ....the sixties were like a flying saucer landed.....everybody heard about it ... but nobody actually saw it...

Reply #674193 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

That big fella who schooled Brandt a couple of times would have been better for the Kings than Singh

Reply #674219 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I may be wrong but arent Asian players outiside of salary cap?

Reply #674226 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Curtley, NBL changed its Oceania rule to an Asia rule. It allows each team to have a single Asian player as an import. Hence, Singh in Sydney this season and Bo Liu (IIRC?) in Melbourne last seasons.

During the season, when Tai Wesley's situation was being discussed publicly, there was an article that clarified the NBL's Asian player rule was only applicable to selected countries. The countries weren't named in the article but were described as those with a large potential tv viewing audience. I think it was Loeliger who was referred to in the article as the source for that. It might even have been an NBL press release but I haven't gone back to look for it.

Given the Philippines has a population of over 100 million, I reckon their players would come under the Asian player rule.

Reply #674238 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

lindsy gaze branded werener uncoachable and left him outta olympic team , selecting 10 victorians.... he brought the 10 vics here for a game and sa won ... werner spoke to the crowd about being left out .... gaze tried to speak but was booed off...

Reply #674239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what kind of money are guys on in the Filipino league? Would be interesting to know if a Filipino who would be a suitable bench player in the NBL would be affordable.

Not sure what the rules are, but Asian players being outside the salary cap like Curtley said would be a decent start in getting decent Asian players over. Maybe the league could look at giving teams a grant and paying the portion of the salary for an asian player? (if they don't already). I reckon it would be a good investment for the league if they get the right players.

Reply #674240 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I heard the better players in PBA earn on avg. around 8-9k USD/month which would be around 10k AUD. They get bonuses if they make the playoffs, etc. and there were rumours that the recent champs Ginebra IIRC paid players massive bonuses in the region of ten times what their salaries were!

Kings briefly looked at Bobby Ray Parks jr. earlier this season but went with Singh for that asian spot.

Reply #674245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't compare the money they make over there to here. $100K a year you are living like a king over there. Here you would be living average.

Reply #674260 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Say what?
How exactly is the NBL "ignoring" Filipinos, and how do you suggest they should rectify that?
TBH, the whole argument is self-contradicting.
"Filipino Australians love basketball and would be a great fan base for the NBL, but don't come to our games because ..."

Don't know why people always want to start these threads premised on the idea that "the NBL should do more to attract 'Group X' to games."
If you have to spend a lot of money attracting somebody, they are exactly the type of fan you DON'T want.
At the end of the day, they could easily give away free tickets and meals to fill stadiums, but all that is going to do is COST money. The idea is to generate a return. eg spend 10c in advertising to generate $1 in ticket sales.

And again, I'm not really sure what you suggest they do to attract particular ethnic groups to games or target advertising to them?

Reply #674270 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Exactly, Dazz. They should just stop marketing entirely because anyone who wants to come to games will do so anyway.

Reply #674278 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Camel31

Was that the 1976 game SA All Stars vs Aus Olympic team???

Was the Bearcats Phillipines trip that year also???

Reply #674289 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall it was '72 ... SA v Vic with 10 olympians and SA beat them.....and bearcats to philippines was back in the sixties...

Reply #674291 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

They also seem more intent on developing young Sudanese basketball players in Australia than young Phillipino aussies despite Philliponos haveing larger population in OZ than Sudan. Why they seem so intent on developing Sudanese aussies by haveing sudanese touranments in OZ but not Phillipono tournaments in OZ I don't know. What's so cool about Sudanese young boys but not cool about phillipono young boys in OZ im confused and lost by the BA's/NBL attitude, when the phillipines has dones far more global basketball than Sudan..

Reply #674316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz 2.0? Makes sense.

Reply #674351 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@Matt because Sudanese are way better basketballers than filipinos.

Reply #674356 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

You say that they make better basketballers, but the Phillipines have been contributing to basketball longer and have a rich history..

Reply #674359 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Playing in their height restricted league, is it still no imports allowed above 6'5"?

Reply #674360 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Zodiac, I believe it's a bit taller than that. Jameel McKay played in their league recently and he would of been around 6’8"

Reply #674369 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@Matt That has nothing at all today with developing players. Sudanese kids are much better at basketball. Im sure the AIS would develop filipino kids if they were any good but they aren't.

Reply #674371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why they seem so intent on developing Sudanese aussies by haveing sudanese touranments in OZ but not Phillipono tournaments in OZ I don't know.
If it's so lucrative in terms of Filipino population and basketball ability, why don't you give it a crack? If the broader basketball community isn't doing it, there are probably reasons.

Reply #674379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754