Ben Palk
Years ago

SAABL Rego Now Open + Channel 10 News Story

The South Australian Amateur Basketball League is excited to announce that Applications for Clubs to nominate their teams is now open. Games to start on Saturday May 2nd at the PAC and St Peters Gyms.

Link to Application Form

To coincide with the Applications for SAABL now being open, Max Burford from Channel 10 News came to interview Kevin Brooks and Philip Haines about the launch of the newest Basketball League in South Australia.

Here is a link to the Channel 10 News story

The SAABL will have an Early Bird Application Fee of $100 per team (reduced from $200 per team) that nominates until 31st March 2018. In addition to the reduced rate we will have a some more initiatives that we think will be very enticing for teams to join - we will be announcing them mid next week so keep posted.

Add yourself to the SAABL Facebook Page

Topic #42768 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, what an amazing innovation! Social basketball comes to South Australia...

Reply #674225 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah I'm not sure what this offers that’s new?

Sick of playing against the same teams, so come play in a new league where you will play against the same teams?

Social bball with a higher price tag?

Reply #674227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$200 nomination fee for social? How much will each game cost? What about player rego? And two stadiums mentioned what other venues are you using?

As above its just another social comp at a higher price.

Reply #674229 | Report this post

Ben Palk  
Years ago

While Basketball is Basketball - we do want to be a little more than just another social league, we want to do all the little things really well. Our rego is only $100 per team until the end of March because we really want to encourage teams to get in early to help us organise how many stadiums we might need.

We know we will never be a District competition, but we do want to be in that sweet spot between District and Social for those players keen for a high standard of competition with top quality officiating. We have one of the best refs in Phil Haines as our Head of Umpires, and he will using SAABL to train and improve the next great officials in this state.

We are League that will be open to all clubs, teams and players interested in playing on Saturday afternoons. Basketball in Adelaide is primarily played mid week and we are very keen to have an inclusive of all competition for those who want to play on Saturday arvo much like other amateur sports in Adelaide.

We also want to have a social aspect to our league and that's why we have got The Archer and Coopers on board as sponsors. We know not everything is about having a beer post game, but we have got on board with these sponsors to allow those clubs that have members that like that social aspect that footy, cricket, netball, soccer often have. We will be having a big season launch, end of year awards and medal counts for each Division, we will have events to watch the NBL and NBA Finals. We want to start building traditions from Day 1.

Our top men’s Division will have prize money on offer - we are looking at having $1500-$2000 for the winner of Div 1.

Also different to some social leagues we will have 1 hour game slots, timeouts stopping the clock, all whistles in the last 3 minutes and overtime. We want to maximize the amount of time players are actually playing basketball.

And we are looking into other ways to improve the game day experience - like the league proving scorers so clubs/teams don’t have to and having a cashless ticket system. We will always be looking for improvements for our players. We want a simple, common sense approach.

We are a non profit, all money the league makes will go back
Into supporting the league. All the people involved are volunteers and are passionate about basketball and we are in this for the improvement for Basketball in SA. While from the outside it might look like just another social league, we hope that our clubs/teams/players will notice the difference.

If anyone wants to chat contact me through Facebook or email me at [email protected] - Ben

Reply #674232 | Report this post

PhilthyPhil  
Years ago

Looks like a good alternative for guys/girls sick of the commitment of footy or district basketball (also getting slugged hundreds of dollars for subs and uniforms with clubs) and want to be involved in something more meaningful! I'll be getting some of the boys together and entering a team! Show me the money!!!

Ps. We need a big man

Reply #674251 | Report this post

Ben Palk  
Years ago

Go team PhilthyPhil gets it

Reply #674252 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Non-profit - good on SAABL. What's the ABN registered as? Can't seem to find it on ABN lookup?

Reply #674253 | Report this post

Ben Palk  
Years ago

Wow - we are really getting to the nitty gritty here of our Association ... ok let's do this :)

We were recently incorporated under the Association Incorporations Act 1985 on February 14th, Incorporation Number A43575.

As I’m sure you can recognize trying to get a new Association started takes a lot of time and is a matter of process, one process leads to the next process. Our board is made of professionals from legal, business, finance, government and administrative backgrounds and I can assure you every legal I will be dotted and T crossed. As an Incorporated Association there is not a requirement threshold until we hit the GST turnover requirement, which I understand is not until we get to $150k - but I can check that for you. That said, in the next week we will need to get an ABN for grant, insurance, tax purposes - it is a relatively easy process.

Anon - if you need a copy of our Constitution and Certificate of Incorporation more than happy to email you a copy

Reply #674255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be uniform standards, looking at clip just looked like bunch of people running around in training tops. Whilst it is promoted as amateur, imo need to get teams to have a proper uniform in stead of dazza and nugget and their mates running around in all sorts of red or black singlets, normlly a combination of bulls, heat and other assorted singlets.

Reply #674266 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This does sound very good in premise, i hope you are successful. Will you have divisions?

Getting a uniform manufacturer on board with a SAABL price would be great, keep it streamlined so it actually looks professional too.

Reply #674377 | Report this post

Bobs212  
Years ago

Two of the best courts in the state and Phil (best referee the state has seen) will get a great team of refs together. $100 registration per team if you get in early is cheap! Stuff paying $200+ per player for district anymore! This is great!

Reply #674443 | Report this post

Ben Palk  
Years ago

The clip was a training session for one of the clubs interested in joining.

There is will be a strict uniform policy - every players must have the same uniform (jersey and shorts).

Because of that OZLOOMS have jumped on board with us at SAABL to provide our clubs and teams with the best price we have ever seen for a full uniform (jersey and shorts) for $46.75. You can go anywhere - I am not sure you can beat that price.

And if you want make it even more affordable - if you get the SAABL logo on your jeresy - SAABL will subsidise this already low price an additional $5.

That is $41.75 per uniform!

This offer is only for clubs that nominate and are paid up members of the SAABL.

Reply #675025 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I am impressed Ben, well done, seriously.

Reply #675129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season 1 was a success i must say, very high quality league, i see you've also answered the requests of the public to run a summer season, could potentially become the Premier League summer league, very good stuff Palky!

Reply #703189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754