GordonG
Years ago

Taipans Awards Night

Club Person of the Year - Mishka Gamble.

Coaches Award - Alex Loughton

Commitment to Community - Nate Jawai

Defensive Player - Mitch McCarron

Player's Player - Alex Loughton

Member's Choice - Alex Loughton

MVP - Cameron Gliddon / Mitch McCarron

Topic #42801 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think Alex Loughton has had a fantastic year

Reply #674953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it was a contract year for him. Funny that.

Reply #674955 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Did anyone attend other than Mitch, Cam, Alex and Nate?

Reply #674959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I was thinking the same thing haha

Reply #674960 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Is it wrong to think that Scoochie Smith couldn't get back to America quick enough, he seemed like a good kid but he didn't adapt well to the NBL and made Weeks look like a quality point guard by comparison... look forward to seeing/hearing how both men's careers develop

Reply #674963 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"Because it was a contract year for him. Funny that."

It was a contract year for everyone except Jawai and Kuany. Your point is invalid.

Reply #674965 | Report this post

no its not. Its been statistically proven that players in the last year of a contract will have bump in their numbers.

Reply #674966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Provide that evidence then please

Reply #674967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon any chance you could paste the Post's article about the evening as it is subscriber only?

Reply #674968 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

80% of the league is in a contract year!

Reply #674970 | Report this post

Frenchy91  
Years ago

Loughton was heading into this season with the thought this could be his last. I doubt hos thought process was "jeez, I better have a huuugee season so I can get another contract".

Reply #674971 | Report this post

hopscotch 35  
Years ago

Am I missing something or was there zero communications about this on the night on their social pages? No pics, congrats with images on their Insta, Twitter, etc?

Reply #674972 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"Gordon any chance you could paste the Post's article about the evening as it is subscriber only?"

Sorry, not a subscriber.

Reply #674974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Loughton was heading into this season with the thought this could be his last. I doubt hos thought process was "jeez, I better have a huuugee season so I can get another contract"."

Of course he was. I read in an article a while ago that last year he finally stopped renting and purchased a house in Cairns. Contract year + now entrenched in Cairns with his young family it is human nature to look after yourself.

Reply #674979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It was a contract year for everyone except Jawai and Kuany. Your point is invalid."

GordonG your lack of logic is woeful.

Reply #674980 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Wednesday seems a strange night to have an end-of-season celebration. Was it a team-only thing or something? I thought the Taipans used to have a big gala night.

Reply #674990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Taipans used to have a big gala"

They still do. His name is Aaron Fearne

Reply #674991 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Players generally step up in a contract year, that's not a new thing, but if you paid any attention to Alex this season in post-game interviews when his improved form was brought up and the fact that his body wasn't carrying any niggling injuries was a huge factor...

Reply #674994 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Seriously, Gordon.

You need to compare Loughton's performance this season against his own in years past. You don't compare it to others.

Hope you can understand this

Reply #675004 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I do wonder if he went into this season thinking "this might be my last roll of the dice, nothing to lose I'll try and go out with a bang". He's stayed injury free and issues with other players have given him lots of court time so that went in his favour too.

He's also looked a LOT better the past few years when he's kept playing through the off-season in the QBL or similar.

Reply #675009 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure it'd be about going out with a bang. Surely some of it is a mixture of confidence shown by the coach, and then performing in those minutes to justify more of the same? In past years, they presumably got the veteran role plus toughness/D from Worthington and so Loughton was a little less crucial.

Reply #675023 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Am I missing something or was there zero communications about this on the night on their social pages? No pics, congrats with images on their Insta, Twitter, etc?"

Cairns' budget does not allow even for a free instagram account nor a 2 megapixel camera to take snaps.

"Wednesday seems a strange night to have an end-of-season celebration."

It was the only evening the public park BBQ was available.

Reply #675026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In press conferences this year both Fearne and Loughton talked about how he was playing loose because it might be his last year. Well done to him, best he's played in years, possibly ever.

Reply #675030 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Loughton Unshackled due to contract expiring??

Reply #675078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ever". Sad indictment Paul.

Reply #675080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/failing-to-keep-fans-informed-a-bad-look/news-story/6c1af7e9fb9b58626280e5f935ebc88f

Reply #675101 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Ouch... "very Townsville-like feel" is harsh, but Trigger is right... It doesn't take much to start sliding down that slippery slope of lack of fan engagement, especially when they can't afford to be losing any...

Seems like a pretty big gaff from a team that usually is pretty on the ball, doesn't it? Someone let go? Last minute leave?

Reply #675139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely on the way out. Hawks as well. At least the Cairns faithful turned up to games.

Reply #675216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754