koberulz
Years ago

Boti Nagy Article on Josh Childress

Chill has one thing to add to his resume

"Adelaide has been fine," Childress said. “I'm pretty simple, man. As long as I can eat some good food and have some good internet and wifi I’m good.

Topic #42805 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Awesome guy with great stories. Great to have in the league!

Reply #675090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Boti is good.

Reply #675091 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

thanks Boti^

Reply #675115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every now and then Boti does something actually worth reading for those born after the 70s.

This is one of those times.

Reply #675130 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Personally I'm just glad Adelaide are letting him have Wi-Fi.

Reply #675143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the Illawarra have wifi yet? I would love to see him at the Hawks.

Reply #675150 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Didn't Randle’s other half have a whinge about poor internet?

Is Josh Joshing us???

Reply #675156 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It wasn't Randle, it was Roberts.

Reply #675160 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I do hope Childress is interested in coming back to the Sixers next season. With a training camp and pre-season with this group despite his age I think he could be even more productive next season.

Reply #675174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hilarious people think he's as squeaky clean as he is. Great at showing that side of himself I guess.

Reply #675196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another rich washed up player here. Even to write an article like that is a waste of column inches. At least he lasted a season. Clearly it show everyone where his focus is. Himself.

Reply #675214 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

KOberulz

Ok, I stand corrected. The Kobester is right.

All these people('s names) look the same to me...

"These people" being code for people with surnames beginning in R.

I'm not racist, I’m RRRist.

Is this post uncool given the forum’s recent storms in teacups over racism etc?

Reply #675230 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Anonymous posters with the hot take, as always.

Reply #675231 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Kings went in 'different direction' & took Kendle instead of Childress.

Gaze may now have figured out u need NBA/NBL calibre players to make playoffs in this league not SEABL players!

Reply #675232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anybody else notice the play on words for boti's article on Bryce cotton 'who picked cotton' a terrible attempt at a pun that is racist?

Reply #675254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure if racist but certainly very poor taste IMO

Reply #675257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's trademark are really poor puns. Stop being so oversensitive. UseTaHoop summed it up well above.

Reply #675596 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon above

Please don't use my handle to excuse Boti’s insensitivity. Bad puns are excusable, but I think the cotton line was just wrong. I doubt it was deliberate, but surely someone in Adelaide could have proofread for him to avoid that Clanger.

The cotton industry in the US was founded on slavery of Africans. There was selective breeding for physical traits including speed, strength, stamina etc. The last American to live in slavery times only died a few years ago.

The NBL benefits from these same physical traits in its players, including imports from...

Some of our imports are likely to be descendants from people enslaved to work in the cotton industry. There might even be current or former imports on this forum who’ve researched their ancestry and know this to be true in their own case. Families also have their histories transmitted orally and handed down through the generations.

I’m not saying Boti was aware of these implications of his cotton picking line, just that someone could proofread for him and maybe even educate him a bit.

If my conjecture re imports is correct, perhaps some might be prepared to tell their stories.

Reply #675625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as you read the words "Cotton" and “picking/picked” together, it immediately makes you think of the racist connotations. Sure, his headline makes sense from the context of Cotton being a surprise winner but he's daft if he thinks that it was a pun worth making.

Reply #675628 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cotton-picking.html

Reply #675631 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's Elizabeth Cotten who was left handed and played guitar strung for a right hander upside down..thought to be where the term cotton picking came from...

Reply #675632 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Daft?

I think uninformed. He's a journo, not a history or American society scholar. I’m not sure how much of his educational career was spent in Australia, but back in the 50s and 60s our schools weren’t real good on history from minority perspectives, even in Australian history.

Maybe an older, Boti-era retired import will give him some wise counsel. This sort of pun doesn’t help his credibility in this century.

Reply #675633 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Just read Manu n Camel above

Elizabeth Cotten ref made me think of Ford Fairlane's "strung upside down for a... genius, jimmy Hendrix".

Yes we can make fun of it...

But do we know Bryce Cotton’s family history, or indeed any player’s family history? With post- civil war mobility of former slaves and their families combined with the college system, we can’t assume either way whether a player is descended from enslaved people.

Reply #675634 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I saw that too and I don't think Boti can be excused for not knowing what words he was using. People of his generation know damn well what cotton picking infers and being a basketball journo a sport dominated by black Americans he would absolutely know what it means but was trying too hard to be funny.

A very poor choice of words.

Reply #675635 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

This is why Boti needs some true friends to guide him.

You're never too old to learn. Good friends could straighten him out with a story or 2. Old timer Basketball scene in Adelaide ain’t that big. I’ll trust the process.

I’ll leave it to Boti’s mates.

I’m out.

Reply #675636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Cotton's family history got to do with anything?

Reply #675637 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm pretty smart, well-read and definitely civil, and I didn't actually know that "cotton picking" was offensive.

I can obviously see it now, but I wouldn't expect people to crucify my for something I didn't know.

Maybe something like, "yeah Boti, it is offensive but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt. It's not a good look, but not everyone knows all word and phrase etymology from all corners of the world. It's crazy to think that people are expected to."

That's the thing an editor would (hopefully) pick up on when proofing Boti's writing, but my guess is that he writes and publishes all himself on that site.

Reply #675639 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Crucify me*

Reply #675640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok fair enough, I thought it was well known what the connotation was. I at least assumed Boti would have. Perhaps he meant it in a more whimsical Foghorn Leghorn way.

Reply #675641 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

"Yet another rich washed up player here. Even to write an article like that is a waste of column inches. At least he lasted a season. Clearly it show everyone where his focus is. Himself"

Yet he's so much better value than most of the other younger imports. Tokoto for example.

Reply #676090 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I actually just posted this because of the Wi-Fi comment. Good to see Hoops overlook that in favour of hurling around accusations.

Reply #676163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down kr yes your wifi meme was sick... there, happy? There's your credit. I'm giving you credit for it but of course people are going to sidetrack and have another excuse to argue on here which is standard.

Reply #676177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wifi reference*

Reply #676180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754