Anonymous
Years ago

Fox Sports disrepecting the NBL?

Had to keep flicking channels to discover the United v NZ game is on Fox Sports news!

A bit disrespectful for a big game, no?

Topic #42817 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

How is that disrespecting the NBL lol

Reply #675300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least they're showing the game

Reply #675301 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The media have always disrespected the NBL! Nothing new.

Reply #675302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new Fox Sports ad features all major Aus leagues bar the NBL.

Reply #675321 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's still being shown , who cares what channel it’s on lol

Reply #675329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm at Crown Melbourne right now in the sports bar/poker/TAB area and not one single screen which there are a lot of has it on NBL.

Reply #675331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TAB dude turned NBL on one of the corner screens woohoo. Visibility in Melbourne is poor.

Reply #675350 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No it isn't the game is live on SBS Viceland HD

Reply #675351 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Sorry but if they are showing it live on FTA then who cares what channel FOXTEL puts a game on.

It's the Perth @ Adelaide game that wasn't on FTA tv that matters what channel it's on.

FOXTEL are insulting NBL by not including them in adverts and by saying that they have no Summer sports besides A-League or whatever was in that earlier post

Reply #675597 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sorry but if they are showing it live on FTA then who cares what channel FOXTEL puts a game on.
People with Foxtel.

Reply #675600 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

It took me like 7 seconds to find which sports channel it was on. I felt so dirty

Reply #675611 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I doubt it's disrespect, more a business decision. On the occasions when I've gone searching for tv ratings this season, NBL has not made the list of Foxtel's top 20 shows for any nights. That list usually bottoms out around 30,000-33,000 viewers. So NBL has rated low down in Foxtel's programs and consistently so throughout the season.

IIRC it may have peaked above 40,000 in one or two games in the first month of the season. I think there was a Hoops post that said that. That suggests audiences fell after that early interest.

There was an article earlier in the season that tv audiences for NBL games are largest in home towns of the teams playing in the games. I can't see any reason for Fox to think the finals will be any different.

AFL pre season and AFLW are running at the moment, both more popular than NBL, and Adelaide also has the Fringe on and the V8 weekend happening. These all affect tv audiences. e.g., last night was the biggest night so far for family audiences at Gluttony (Fringe site in the Adelaide parklands) according to a friend with a tent there.

So choice of channel for telecasting these games probably reflects commercial reality rather than Fox dissing its own product. i.e., NBL is still a niche product on tv and is managed accordingly. As others have posted, at least it was on and it was live.

Reply #675629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was on FSN as every other channel had live games on. If it wasn't for venue availability issues there wouldn't be a double header on Sat.

Reply #675670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It can't help ratings to be on FSN rather than one of the main sports channels. I know that when I do channel surfing to see what live sport is on, I don't include FSN because it's usually just repeating news headlines.

Reply #675704 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I know back when I had Foxtel FSN was included in the basic package unlike the proper Fox Sports channels so also potential for a wider viewership on FSN.

Reply #675714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754