Anonymous
Years ago

Perth Wildcats 2018/19 Roster

With this season fast drawing to a close, it's time to think about how Perth can go about constructing a title contending team for next season.

Perhaps it would look like this:

PG - Martin, Kenny
SG - Cotton, Steindl
SF - Gliddon,
PF - , Wagstaff
C - Brandt,

The hope would be that Import 2 would be a stud PF/C type in the mould of Matty Knight. That way you could have some flexibility and play Brandt off the bench as well depending on match-ups or how his form is.

The Wildcats could probably use another young Aussie big too or hybrid/small-ball wing/big like a Majok Deng.

Is Corey Webster still interested in coming to Perth? I know it was thought that to have him and Cotton on the same team would be duplicating much of the same skills, but looking at the problems Perth have had creating offense, it might be a thought. In that case, either Webster or Martin would come off the bench as 6th man.

Topic #42833 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what happened there, but I had pegged in imports to play as a back-up wing behind Gliddon and another as the starting PF. It shows up blank above.

Reply #675903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach?

Reply #675916 | Report this post

hoops4llday  
Years ago

Half the team needs to go.

Kenny: SBL quality player, not upto NBL standard anymore. Cannot facilitate an offense to save his life. Has to go

Martin: Needs to come off the bench. Offensive liability need a PG that can contribute more points.

Tokoyo: Jurys still out. All NBL second team however finishing the season poorly.

Cotton: Resign

Brandt : Resign

Wagstaff: Too slow on his feet now, repeatedly gets beaten off the first step by other 3s and 4s in the league

Cooke: Needs to go, can give sparks off the bench, if he was a local you'd keep however waste of an import spot. Should be able to get better

Hire: Not even gonna start with this guy. His best contribution comes off the Dribble podcast, other than that his NBL time is done.

Steindl: Still have hope for this guy. See him as a Kyle Korver come on and provide a spark from 3 sort of guy however just hasnt hit his shots. 50/50 on him.

Walker: Would resign, poor season. Can be undisciplined at times too however spreads the floor well and can cause mismatches with his outside shooting. Needs to regain early season form.

Mason bragg: Give this guy some minutes!! Has good hustle and handles the ball a lot better than Kenny. Wouldn't mind seeing this guy get elevated to 11th man next yr.

Reply #675920 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

a bit stunned that talk is going on about next season when this one hasn't been finished.
a little premature perhaps

Reply #675923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson: ?

Reply #675924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Offensive liability "

No he isn't.

Reply #675927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Claims Kenny is only SBL quality but wants more minutes for Bragg? Credibility of that post is shot to hell.

Reply #675929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth wil want Webster back, but they will have to offer a major role I'd say.

Reply #675930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Walker: Would resign, poor season. Can be undisciplined at times too however spreads the floor well and can cause mismatches with his outside shooting. Needs to regain early season form."

Not sure what games you have been watching but Walker is a below-average outside shooter. Had a fluky start to the season, but has come back to where his real level is now and it isn't pretty for Wildcats fans. A star import PF is just about #1 on the Wildcats shopping list.

Reply #675931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth with Webster this season and Walker (the import one not the joke one) would have been a very fun team to watch

Reply #675932 | Report this post

hoops4llday  
Years ago

"Claims Kenny is only SBL quality but wants more minutes for Bragg? Credibility of that post is shot to hell."

Kenny is 33, Bragg is 23. Would rather put minutes into a young player to develop for the future....thought it was pretty obvious..idiot.

Reply #675933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd retain:

______/Martin/Bragg
Cotton/Steindl
_______/_______
_______/Wagstaff/Walker
_______/Brandt

I'd probably look for a whole new starting lineup besides Cotton. Guys like Martin/Wagstaff/Brandt just don't seem to quite cut it as starters (Brandt can at times but is inconsistent). Go after the best 2 Aussies they can (probably one who is either a PG or SF and then one who is a PF or C), then fill the other 2 starting spots with gun imports.

I think Gleeson is ok, but wouldn't mind Nielsen taking over as Perth start to transition towards a new era.

Reply #675934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Webster, Martin, Cummings
SG - Cotton, Webster, Steindl
SF - Gliddon, Steindl, Hire
PF - Star Import, Wagstaff
C - Role player import, Brandt

I think Walker, Tokoto, Cooke and Bragg should be let go, although I don't mind Cooke in the role playing big man role if they get another star import big man.

Reply #675937 | Report this post

Perth Fan  
Years ago

the biggest thing for Perth is they have been the league leaders for the better part of the last decade.

They changed the game by signing James Ennis. And since then, other teams have caught up and past the Wildcats.

I would think a major shake up to bring the cats roster back up to par with other teams will take place.

Reply #675938 | Report this post

Pork  
Years ago

Gleeson contracted for next season and offered another contract if he wants it.

Reply #675945 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

PG - Martin, Kenny, Cummings
SG - Cotton, Webster, Steindl
SF - James Ennis, Gliddon
PF - Daniel Johnson, Wagstaff
C - Brandt

Reply #675951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pork yeah right offered another contract during a time where he has lost the playing group. Good one.

Reply #675968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Steindl and Tokoto for sure.
Tokoto not enough strings to his bow and Steindl seems to be a nothing player is he can't hit a shot - which he hasn't..... all season.

Reply #675981 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Import1. Martin, Kenny
Cotton, Steindl
Gliddon, Import 4 ( new addition)
Import,Kay, Wagstaff
Brandt. Import ( Cooke or McKay)

Very difficult to predict at this point.
Hopefully the 4th import will add much needed offence and depth to the bench.

Reply #675984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does everyone's team include Gliddon like he has signed with Perth? There has been no indictation at all that Perth are interested in him or that he would even play for them...

Reply #675985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why does everyone's team include Gliddon like he has signed with Perth? There has been no indictation at all that Perth are interested in him or that he would even play for them..."

Haha, good point. He is Western Australian and out of contract I believe. With Fearne leaving Cairns, maybe they are going to start fresh too so it may be an opportunity for him to leave.

For those saying get rid of Steindl, I believe he signed a two-year deal so we can't get rid of him (unless the 2nd year was a team option).

Reply #675998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is a good call. Could he be our next Matty Knight?

Reply #675999 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dexter Kernich-Drew, not even Wildcats fans remember he's still on the roster.

Reply #676000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DKD's role has been taken by Steindl, most have assumed.

Reply #676001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cummings is a shooting guard not a point

Reply #676007 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Was DKD as a spark of the bench to start the season more valuable than anything Steindl has done?

Reply #676014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont tell koberules that.

Reply #676039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think DKD has been better than Steindl. But Steindl has more "runs on the board" so to speak from his previous NBL stints. If he stinks it up again next year, then get rid of him.

Reply #676043 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Interesting that Perth has managed to turn Drew Williamson and Clint Steindl into absolutely garbage shooters.

Reply #676062 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

But it's not the coach it's the players.

Reply #676089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, coach doesn't seem to get any heat at all in this thread. REALLY guys?

Reply #676103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe with a full pre season Steindl will be a lot better?

Reply #676159 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Steindl had a full pre-season this year.

But it's not the coach it's the players.
Two different coaches six or seven years apart? Yeah, I'm pretty confident in saying that's not the cause.

Reply #676160 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think we need to try Cotton in the point guard role more as it gives more options.

Cotton/Damo/Bragg
Gliddon/Cotton/whatever Kestleman gives us
Original Import Walker (to keep Bryce happy)/Steindl
DJ/Lucas Walker/Cody Ellis
Gladness/Brandt

Gliddon playing at his natural SG position as opposed to what others keep doing by making him a 3 man, would be good to have him and Cotton share ball handling duties until Damo comes on and a backcourt of Damo and Gliddon will be a nightmare for teams on offence. I went for Walker again and Steindl as 3men as they are similar players and it keeps a floor spacer on court all game. DJ gives that automatic go to man when we need him and his 15 free throws a game will be handy. I think Cody is a better choice for th future than Wagstaff and if he comes off the bench for DJ instead of Waxy then I'm happy. Gladness provides rim protection that the Wildcats are sorely in need of and I think a battle between him and Brandt all season long for minutes would be fantastic. Wildcats I felt did much better with Knight around as the fouls to our bigs seemed less of an issue with 5 of them than 4 especially with Waxy and Brandt getting into foul trouble each game

Reply #676165 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^
Spot on. Gliddon hasn't played 3 in his life.
Ever heard of a guy called McCarron,he's been the one stepping up?

Reply #676166 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think we need to replace matt knight. a solid semi mobile big that can bang bodies and defend opposition bigs, with a mid range jumper that can be called upon if needed

daniel johnson is great offensively and provides flexibility, but leaves a big hole defensively.

I like the Nick Kay option as he seems to fit the knight mould a little better

gliddon or maccaron would be great fit and as previous said, slide Cotton to PG to give Damo impact minutes rather than starting role.

Is Devondrick still around? Earlier in the season they said they wanted to keep him for next year. having multiple 3 point threats is what the cats need to spread the floor. at the moment we have cotton and sometimes wagstaff when firing......steindl needs to rediscover pre season form next year.

Reply #676170 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think Cotton has to go, unless he's taking a massive pay cut. That money could be better spent across multiple roster positions.

Reply #676207 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Agree. I think Cotton is a great player but not worth the reported salary -- on this team anyway.

Reply #676212 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Would like to see Perth building toward the future by going after some young Aussie talent. How about one or two of the following:

Venky Jois
Mangok Mathiang (if Charlotte don't resign him)
Emmett Naar
and as a development player Keanu Pinder

Reply #676347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'll need a change of coach if you want that to happen.

Reply #676368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gladness LOL. How about do a bit of research for new players out in the big wide world instead of just looking at past imports from other teams.

Reply #676381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus Brandt out of contract (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2016)

Greg Hire out of contract (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2016)

Dexter Kernich-Drew out of contract (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2016)

Bryce Cotton* out of contract (1 year deal)

Lucas Walker out of contract (1 year deal)

Derek Cooke Jnr out of contract (1 Year Deal)

JP Tokoto out of contract (1 year deal)

Jesse Wagstaff Contracted (Signed 3 Year Deal in 2016)

Damian Martin Contracted (Signed 3 Year Deal in 2016)

Jarrod Kenny Contracted (Signed 3 Year Deal in 2016)

Clint Stendi Contracted (signed 2 year Deal in 2017)

Reply #677191 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Brandt signed an extension recently, he is there tlll the end of the next season

Reply #677194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin/Norton
COTTON/ D.WALKER
PRATHER/ Steindl
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Brandt/Jervis

Reply #690037 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

^ that would be a fantastic roster! Sheesh. You know you'd have a bloody good team if you can bring Norton, an import and Jervis off the bench.

Reply #690039 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

that's the roster I'm hoping for

D Walker and Prather can probably both be 2/3, at a pinch so can Steindl. If Hire can be then no reason for Steindl not to play small minutes at 2 if required

I guess it is wait and see what summer league leaves us options of!!

Reply #690040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/42165-wildcats-wont-re-sign-tokoto-eyeing-prather

Article mentions Hire is set to re-sign, meaning only two import spots will be used at the start of the season.

Reply #690042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect - the article quotes Gleeson's interview on 6PR last night.

If you listened to the article, Glesson did not sound convincing at all when he made that statement about hire.

Hire is "next in line", but that doesn't mean he will be signed.

If someone goes down with an injury, then Hire is in you would assume.

Very unlikely they only go with two imports.

Hire will most likely be a training player. Still involved and paid by the club, but unlikely to be on the playing roster.

Reply #690044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*listened to the radio interview

Reply #690045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Speaking on Perth's 6PR, Gleeson also confirmed reports that local forward Greg Hire was set to be re-signed by the Wildcats.

"We've just been waiting for some ducks to line up correctly but Greg is going to be next on our list," Gleeson explained.

"Hopefully we'll get that done pretty soon."

Obviously none of Gleeson's tone comes across in the transcript but the words sound like he is set to re-sign.

Reply #690053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tone matters! ;) Read as purely text doesn't give it the context it needs.

Reply #690057 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They just said on Twitter that Tokoto is not coming back to the Wildcats.

Reply #690065 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good would prefer Prather or Conger over Tokoto

Reply #690069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see Prather returning to lowball central

Reply #690088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ a hoops.com anonymous rumour, feel free to check your facts

Reply #690089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Good would prefer Prather or Conger over Tokoto"

and I'd "prefer" that Ennis came back. What's your point?

Prather won't be back, at least not whilst Jack and Eleanor Bendat own the team.

Reply #690097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Prather won't be back, at least not whilst Jack and Eleanor Bendat own the team."

Wow, the shit some people make up around here is astounding.

Reply #690098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More chance of Prather returning to Perth than there is of DJ playing for the Boomers

Reply #690101 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

As is so often the case, Cats have assembled a competitive local roster, just need to see who the imports will be.
Difference between being contenders and alsorans.
Hard to go past Cotton, if they can get him back, MVP and leading scorer.
SF role is interesting. Seems like they are going to persist with Hire, and go for more of a 2/3 in the Import, somebody like Walker who can contribute to their 3-point ability. Might be ok if they can get Walker, but their previous attempt to go that route was not successful. Also, given the lack of quickness in their front court, I'd prefer to see a genuine SF.

Reply #690118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Dazz

Reply #690119 | Report this post

Ok so with the roster set, we got a boring month ahead of us before things really start ramping up

Final Roster

Martin/Norton
Cotton/Steindl
White/Hire/Vague
Kay/Wagstaff
Brandt/Jervis

Solid line up, that in year's past would be top 4 favourites. Not sure that's the case this year.

Ball movement and high percentage shooting will be the focus for this team.

Reply #698972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also defence

Reply #698973 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Big questions marks are Steindl, Hire, and Vague.
I think Vague did ok in the SEABL, but not exceptional. Still not sure what the rush was to promote him from DP. Hoping he has a breakout year.

Hire need to work his arse off to recover some touch, or the pressure will come on him to retire.

Steidl, we can only hope.

Question still on who will be their goto guy when an injury occurs. Rumour is it will be Ellis, but I'm also interested to see who their DPs are this season.

Reply #699027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754