where's Peter Dutton when you need him!

Reply #676222 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

That was good

Reply #676224 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I appreciate Homicide's enthusiasm about the league.

Reply #676229 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Homicide in fine form Lol

Reply #676230 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Goodish...I will watch more.

Reply #676233 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Haven't watched it and don't plan to, but from the looks of it this is the sort of thing he should be doing instead of commentary.

Reply #676235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, he can easily do both. And do them well. You should watch, then comment.

Reply #676251 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

He basically just talks BS to try and get a reaction or shock people.

Shows little knowledge for the game and flip flops on his opinion trying to get a reaction or what will cause controversy.

Hopefully he flames out and the NBL get a bit more of a professional outlook and move him on.

Reply #676258 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

Koberulz hates Homicide so much he has promised to boycott the grand final series - from memory it is the first NBL GF series he hasn't watched in 50 years

Reply #676271 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

You are right, that Liam Santamaria just talks BS to try and get a reaction or shock people :-)

Unfortunately those with little tolerance for Corey have to accept he is (almost) on the money when he notes there are few platforms available to discuss NBL (he says we don't have a platform which is not correct, but options are few, so credit to him for attempting to change the landscape).

Fortunately we are not forced to endure Corey's opinions every day and every time you watch basketball. Choice is a wonderful thing and you have the luxury of being able to implement it. However, Corey's presence is going to be unavoidable until the NBL and its followers put more effort into providing alternative platforms.

Reply #676272 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Corey is awesome all the haters here should be banned from this forum.

Reply #676274 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Has taken a look at what Steven A Smith and Colin Cowherd do in the USA and has brought that here to Australia.

Over hyped opinion that if you throw enough different speculation out there something might stick, or starting rumours to try and turn heads. this is just the shock jock for the sports world I don't have much time for hyperthical BS when I'd rather watch the games - but there is a reason why womens weekly still sells well, people like it and people will like this, just not me.

BUT! Good on them for trying something different and breaking some new ground the league more talk on hoops is only better for hoops!

Reply #676275 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The difference is Stephen A Smith doesn't do color commentary. I doubt he's even referenced. Williams's presence is unavoidable even on games he's not calling.

I'd have zero problem with him on a panel show or half time show.

Reply #676276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"from the looks of it" - without actually looking at it. lol

Reply #676280 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

His presence is avoidable, it's called the mute button.
Personally I like him, no doubt he is being controversial and stirring up passionate debate. I can’t see any problem with that.

I wonder what happens if Adelaide wins.. does he take his shirt off and run around the arena like he did when his Crocs eliminated the Wildcats from the playoffs a few years ago?

He has history with the Perth fans and is without doubt enjoying his chance to stir the pot.

But let’s be honest- this Adelaide team is no joke and everything he says about them is right on the money.

Reply #676295 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

You couldn't have 2 of him, but I like him.

It's fantastic that he's genuinely enthused about our league. He's doing a great job.

He'll be around for a while i would have thought.

Reply #676300 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The mute button really kills games, unfortunately. In games he's commentating, I mute the majority of it but wish I could still get the court/crowd sounds and other commentary. I'm with KR - by all means have him on an NBL panel show and leave him to run his own podcast/whatever, but I don't enjoy him commentating games.

Unfortunately those with little tolerance for Corey have to accept he is (almost) on the money when he notes there are few platforms available to discuss NBL
Depends on the context, but there are more opportunities than ever for the idle fan or entrepreneurial type. Once upon a time, you'd read about NBA scores in the newspaper days after a game and have to write letters to the editor of a magazine.

Now there are social networks, forums, podcasts, various broadcasting platforms for livestreaming, etc. The NBL is still fairly small, so it is absolutely trivial to build a profile on any of these through consistent effort or just being outrageous...
And even if ultimately you wanting to get your word out and building your own brand though is on you, the NBL have boosted a solid number of contributors (Liam Santamaria, Tommy Greer, etc) in various ways.

Reply #676303 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Last time this came up people suggested muting him, and the very next game I watched there was no scoreboard on the screen for five consecutive minutes.

Reply #676352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recommend listening to Williams' first appearance on Rucker's podcast for some context. It helped me to understand the perspective the comments come from. Also helped to have the 'street-ball legend' label explained. I had suspected that was marketing BS for someone with limited professional experience.

Regardless of how anyone views Rucker, his podcast has some worthwhile content.

I'm not sure Williams is emulating Smith. I think it's his own personality, which has a lot in common with other shock jocks.

I am reminded of the hood mentality Jalen Rose speaks of, as well as a couple of gangsters I used to know. Different backgrounds, perspectives, attitudes, and forms of expression.

That said, I prefer to have a more tempered, considered, analytical perspective for game commentary. Some of his in game comments are unfortunately uninformed and misleading. I think sometimes he is a little more involved in the conversation than the game.

Reply #676385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at Koberulz openly admitting his ignorance. What a useless forum member he is

Reply #676387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Personally I like him, no doubt he is being controversial and stirring up passionate debate. I can't see any problem with that."

Its because he says things just to be controversial, things that defy logic, or that he couldn’t possibly believe. What is the point in that?

Reply #676389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other commentators don't even like Corey.

Reply #676390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's just not true...

Reply #676452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure Williams is emulating Smith. I think it's his own personality, which has a lot in common with other shock jocks.
No, he's mentioned Smith specifically as the sort of role he's trying to create for himself in Australia. Sat opposite him at dinner the other month after a 36ers game and we were talking about it. I'm all for it, just would rather it didn't involve commentating the games.

There have been other opinionated commentators that I vastly prefer - I liked Rucker when he was involved and I think Heal is great.

Reply #676460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would rather the NBL focused on getting the ladder correct or realised Caleb Davis is not the league leader in FG%, than manufacturing a villain.

Reply #676465 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Episode 2

Reply #676468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't mind the show, hate the background music during the show though. Very annoying

Reply #676514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, he's mentioned Smith specifically as the sort of role he's trying to create for himself in Australia.

Oh, thanks for the heads up! The role seems a good fit for his personality though.

Reply #676613 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754