Anonymous
Years ago

Basketball vs the greater market powers

I'm not a statistician or a researcher, I’m just a teacher who has interest in some trends I’ve noticed over the past decade which I wanted to share. I’ve rotated around some of the biggest secondary schools in Australia and it has been surprising to see the great deal of interest in basketball (particularly NBA) amongst our youth and this seems to have grown over the years in my own views.

In my observations, it is more common than other sports for students to be discussing NBA, watching highlights of NBA games, wearing NBA apparel to schools and even down to the little things like participating in the sport or just having an NBA background on their computer. I know it is a small sample size (although some of these schools are in the 1000s) and minor observations but I feel like the NBA/basketball is everywhere amongst our youth while I’d rarely see any of this for something like rugby, footy or cricket.

I guess the figures behind Australia having the largest league pass subscriptions and the largest amount of purchases on NBA store outside of the U.S. kind of support this.

So I could ramble on about this for ages with more observations but I’ll get to my point/question.

Is the sporting market in Australia meeting the demand of its consumers? Should basketball have a stronger place in our media and entertainment. Is it the market power of AFL/NRL/Cricket preventing consumers from meeting this demand. Or am I just imagining that there is this growing mass demand for basketball?

Topic #42854 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball even in the 80s/90s was the #1 sport in schools and helped the NBL. However this has been exercebated now by globalisation where you can now follow the NBA in real time. and due to this globalisation as the younger generations become the older you will see the "local" sports slowly die off, especially the ones with no global appeal.

Reply #676598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alot of those kids are just casual fans. They like a guy like KD or Steph or LeBron and don't really care for much else other then there highlights.

I graduated a few years ago and whenever I'd talk to one of those people who OP talks about they wouldn't know anything more then 5 guys on the roster or who played for the warriors 5 years before hand

Reply #676609 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I think basketball is a lot more popular than the Australian media would like to think it is.

The Boomers have a roster filled with decent NBA players, the NBA itself (while I personally find it a bit boring at times with the way its played now) is no doubt hugely popular with the younger audience. Im seeing more NBA jerseys on the streets than soccer jerseys. The NBA is and always has been a major global sports league and Australians can easily access it now better than ever before.

Unfortunately, main stream media still insist that we only want to hear about cricket and soccer, which is obviously untrue. However as its been aluded to in the past, mainstream media isnt the beast that it used to be.

If people want to hear about the NBA (or NBL) theres plenty of other ways to hear about it. You no longer have to sit thru a boring sports segment of cricket soccer and offseason AFL to get a 5 second basketball mention (if they feel like mentioning it)

Reply #676634 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

it is international - appeal at so many levels to all genders and ages. It is important to ensure supply meets demand. Plenty of media around with it - for it to remain successful it must connect with the everyday person / consumer. Lot of control and influence via marketing and media regarding what direction the game moves in.

Reply #676636 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

" as the younger generations become the older you will see the "local" sports slowly die off"

Can't see this happening for many many generations if at all. As wonderful as it is to see more Aussies in the NBA the chances of an Aussie kid getting there are still tiny. Local sports will continue to provide far more opportunities for kids to have a career in sport

Reply #676643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I graduated a few years ago and whenever I'd talk to one of those people who OP talks about they wouldn't know anything more then 5 guys on the roster or who played for the warriors 5 years before hand
Majority of younger fans of many sports might be like that?

Reply #676649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can't see this happening for many many generations if at all. As wonderful as it is to see more Aussies in the NBA the chances of an Aussie kid getting there are still tiny. Local sports will continue to provide far more opportunities for kids to have a career in sport"

You don't have to want to play the sport at an elite level to be a fan or viewer. I’m a huge NBA fan and never had aspirations to play at an elite level.

Reply #676705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754