Anonymous
Years ago

Perth Wildcats offseason thread

Starts here after tonight's loss

Topic #42855 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Hire, Kenny, Coocke jr and JP . Sign DJ , Gliddon and Weeks. Get a import like Childress but obviously younger. Someone who can create and score but preferably with a 3 pt shot.

Reply #676645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm betting OP is not a Perth fan.

Reply #676646 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Should also check for existing threads.

Reply #676650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it was a deliberate duplicate thread in an attempt to trash talk.

Reply #676652 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I imagine this is how NSW blues fans feel when they are close to winning a state of origin series lol.

Reply #676655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/42833-perth-wildcats-2018-19-roster/

Reply #676656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth 2018/19 off-season:

Ins: Best players from all other teams, this thread
Outs: Hire, Kenny, Cooke Jr, existing Wildcats off-season thread

Reply #676684 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

Cody Ellis and Cam Gliddon to Cats for 2018/19

Reply #676685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out: Gleeson. Pretty please.

Reply #676689 | Report this post

Little H  
Years ago

Thanks Homicide for the new thread.

Reply #676696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody will never go to Perth with the way his old man was sacked

Reply #676713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was about 15 years ago, and I doubt anyone involved in the club at the time is still there. Is he that petty?

Reply #676715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike attends games so I doubt it.

Reply #676717 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

My thoughts on Wildcats season and roster. To start with we were screwed over by Matt Knights selfishness in deciding to play on then only to retire when we all knew he couldn't go on. then for what ever reason we decided to replace him with a guard who had been out of the league for a while, and then kept an import who clearly was not up to it. Too many times during the season we played without any real intent and relied on Cotton keeping us in the games, blew big leads far too often and lost games at home we should never lose. Onto the playing list.

We have to make changes, we cannot maintain the status quo, this roaster was not good enough to win it this year.

Bragg- Keep and actually give some playing time, Martin is not going to be around much longer.

Walker- Keep only if nothing better out there, sure he started all guns blazing, but reverted to form as the year went on, and we had him starting last night, shows hum much we were struggling. there was a reason why he wasn't playing last season and only got a spot on this years roster to replace Redhage

Hire- Gone, was a solid role player two years ago, is not any more, adds zero to this team now.

Tokoto- Unsure to be honest, not as good as he thinks he is, would certainly look out and about before signing him again.

Kenny- Keep, if Martin gets injure, which happens more often that not, you still need a stable influence out there.

DKD- Keep and like Bragg actually play him for extended minutes,he could not have been any worse than Hire and Wagstaff in this series with the same minutes.

Cotton- Keep, but get him some help in the back court, someone that can actually score and take the pressure off him

Brandt- Keep, after Cotton our best player by a long way, he would benefit greatly having another decent big man to help him out on court.

Cooke jnr- Gone, how he stayed on the list all year is staggering. Strange from the Cats that they refused to budge on him

Wagstaff- Undecided on him, can give you moments, but he isn't going to get better, his final series was a disgrace for a senior player 9 pts and 4 rebounds. Has to be a bench player at the most if we keep him.

Vague- gone, try someone else as DP, not sure what he brings to the team.

Steindl- I'll go against the grain here, i would keep him, he came into the team late, and was never really used the correct way IMO. He has shown he has some ability in the past, worth persevering with.

Martin- Keep, but start planning for his retirement, how much longer can he keep abusing his body on the court.

So out for me of the current roster

Tokoto
Cooke jnr
Hire
Vague

Possible outs if suitable replacements available

Walker
Wagstaff

Reply #677037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walker is too old to keep. Cats need to build for the next 5-8 years and as such have to get their 30+ players in roster way down.

Reply #677071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a few decent aussies coming out of college, if we could get 2 this year and DP Pinder over Vague it would be a good start. Landale, Cooks, Naar or McDaniel would all be very good NBL players.

Reply #677077 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Cooke Jr if the circumstances were right. i.e. if we put better pieces around him.
I love the way he plays, but his plusses outweigh his minuses only if the rest of the team is more capable.

Is that likely to happen? No. If we're aiming for a title then we probably have too much other building to do.

Reply #677083 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I agree Luuc, I like his energy and he seems to be popular with teammates.

His numbers per minute are great too but the circumstances in Perth are not in his favour. He might have been better suited to a number of other teams i.e Bullets, Kings and Hawks.

He reminds me of Eric Jacobsen, great team guy, competent and puts in the effort but is a victim of external forces beyond his control.

Reply #677090 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He wasn't the best fit in THIS team, but he could be a valuable asset if they get the rest of the pieces right. Saw a tweet earlier which highlighted the following stats or him. Keep him, develop him and get him naturalised.

"Finished the season 3rd in entire NBL in PER & 2nd in DefRtg.

Finished 2nd in Reb%.

Finished top 5 in FG%, Rebs, Steals & Blocks per 40, 1st in OReb per 40. "

Reply #677097 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Perth's roster will be an intetesting one to watch over the offseason. Of the regular rotations only Martin, Cotton, Brandt, Kenny, Wagstaff and maybe Steindl are safe. But, I suspect Cotton will be lured away by bigger money overseas or the NBA even.

So will they blow it up and go strong with youth (like Adelaide did last year) but with experienced imports or try to squeeze more out of the existing core?

Reply #677098 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Under contract:
Martin
Kenny
Steindl
Wagstaff
Brandt

Keep Cotton

Show everyone else the door

Need 3 new imports ( including the extra roster spot.

3 spots remaining aim for someone like Kay to replace Knight. Go after another Aussie guard to strengthen backcourt and sign a college returnee.

Reply #677099 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Go hard for Gliddon and Kay. If they keep Cotton maybe go for signing Devondrick Walker as that's what they wanted this year. If not Prather? Or Conger lol.
3rd imports needs to be a back up to Brandt.

Reply #677105 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's pretty clear that Perth needs some of this...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216413603636284&id=1341753993

Reply #677107 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Can Kay and Brandt complement each other and make the Wildcats better? I wondered whether Brandt would be better off the bench if they secure Kay.

Reply #677109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really need to be auditioning Aussie guards to fill the enormous gap Martin will leave and to a much lesser extent Kenny, as they both age.

How good is Bragg? By all means give him a chance to show what he can bring.

And it might be time to have a look at Daly from My Gambier. Reigning seabl gf mvp, he seems like the sort of team first on court leader that would suit the Wildcats. A potential replacement for Kenny.

God knows how you replace a player like Martin.

Reply #677113 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

You don't have to replace good players. You just have to construct a good team.

Reply #677114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"God knows how you replace a player like Martin"

err - recruit a proven NBL coach that players like to play for who will attrack such players, then sign the players to long contracts - (like that guy coaching the hawks ATM) ?

Reply #677116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point is, there is no player like Martin.

Reply #677118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will recover they are a quality team not a budget team like Cairns.

Reply #677119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nostradamus

Reply #677130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson to Perth is like 90 percent is done. Trust me

Reply #677132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

90% done? What does that even mean? Has he signed just "Daniel Johnso" on the contract?

Reply #677137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooke was improving a lot as the season progressed. He really isn't the issue - it was that they lost a top notch PF/C in Knight and didn't replace him. This off-season they have that opportunity. Nick Kay or Daniel Johnson would be very handy to fill that void. If we do get a top quality PF/C then I would be happy to keep Cooke. If we can't get one, then his import spot may have to be used on that.

Regarding the SF spot, Gliddon has been talked about and Devondrick Walker would be another natural suggestion given he was Perth's first choice before injury and his friendship with Cotton.

Reply #677146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Webster is another to talk about. Obviously he'd chosen Perth before the agreement that allowed him to play in Europe. Is he keen for an NBL return? One of the main criticisms of the Perth roster this year was a lack of the ability to create offense outside of Cotton. Webster would be a guy who could help address that.

Reply #677149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"90% done? What does that even mean? Has he signed just "Daniel Johnso" on the contract?"

Hahahahha, give this man a funny tag!

Reply #677161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are many of you guys smoking talking about Cooke as a serious return. He was rubbish most of the year. The league needs players like Childress, Konger, Boone who can generate their own scoring and not need a team to fit around them. if last two seasons hasnt shown that Im not sure what sport your watching

Reply #677175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I thought DJ hate Perth

Tokoto has to go, he's not even as good at Childress as getting buckets and he also possesses no 3 point shot.

Maybe give the orginial import Walker a crack.

Cooke has to go. If you're gonna get a garbage man import, at least get someone who can make a layup or point blank shot! So many of them missed this year

Reply #677219 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Tokoto's lack of outside shot was frustrating to watch especially given Steindl didn't live up to expectations.

Reply #677220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson can't play defence to save his life, don't know how he will go at Perth

Reply #677255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the Wildcats did a 6'ers. Ultimate irony right there.

Reply #677258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most likely outs

Hire
Walker
DKD
Bragg
Rhys Vague
Tokoto
Coocke

Maybe retirement

Jessie Wagstaff

Contracted
Kenny
Martin

Reply #677403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One guy they should look at is Alex Pledger

Reply #677405 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Also don't forget Tom Jervis. His last year with Brisbane is only an option.

Reply #677612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring in Byron Mullens to play centre, can't get a gig in NBA but Perth can pay more than G league.

mobile 7 footer who can shoot from 3

Reply #679436 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Much ado about nothing ......while you lose every game due to refs...

Reply #679487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone here a member of the "Chat Chat" Facebook group?

Granted there are pot stirring Anons here, and not every post here is sane, the circle jerk conversations in that group are hilarious.

At least here there is some insightful commentary at times.

That FB group is like one big clueless red army love fest.

This is coming from a Perth fan as well.

Reply #679491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry "Cat Chat"

Reply #679494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I haven't seen it but the name comes from the old "Cat Chat" forum. It was awful but showed how strong the online fanbase is of the Wildcats as it was as busy as this site and that other site which sucks now.

Reply #679512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old Cat Chat forum was more meta though.

This new Facebook Cat Chat has the same name, but not the same posters or humour.

Are all clubs fan groups like this that bad?

It's worst. It's like the people you see commentating Today Tonight posts.

Reply #679526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah okay, got you. Facebook type users would be a lot dumber so I can imagine the discussions they have on there. You're right, at least the old Cat Chat forum had characters not the dumb-dumbs that use Facebook.

Reply #679541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yeah, I think the two are analogous -- Today Tonight for older people is what Facebook is for the younger ones.

Reply #679542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree.

The Today Tonight watchers that are on Facebook are the worst.

But the Today Tonight watchers that are on Facebook and in groups like Cat Chat are the ultimate worst.

"Young" people generally aren't on Facebook.

Being on Facebook doesn't make you a dumbass either.

But there are a lot of dumbasses there.

The point is... avoid team facebook groups like "Cat Chat", unless you want a laugh.

Reply #679580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats should of looked harder at GLeesons tenure. For two seasons straight the wildcats have played some terrible offense. Last year saved by Cotton from the wooden spoon. This year a joke at home in the last half of the season

Some of that poor team play surely must be attributed to gleeson not getting through to his team.

Reply #679677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know, it boggles the mind how he is untouchable or even not mentionable in terms of possible changes at the club.

Reply #679685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard to argue with wins and championships.

Yes he's had stellar sides to work with, but he's winning.

Could anyone win with his squads? maybe, but he's the one doing it.

Reply #679688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not anymore.

Reply #679690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I know, it boggles the mind how he is untouchable or even not mentionable in terms of possible changes at the club."

Do you mean from within the club or from the fans? I don't know too many fans that would be fussed if he got the boot. He gets defended because the criticism of him are unwarranted.

The club probably wants to give him one more chance to see how he goes with a new team. He probably deserves that much.

Reply #679695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fans seem to be overly defensive of him.

Reply #679714 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

People will normally defend the coach with this level of success.

Its a Bird in hand worth two in the bush thing.

Yes....someone COULD have done a 5 Peat, but would you risk getting a Demopolous, Gaze, or Robilliard?

If someone offered you 3 Lollies now or gave you equal chance of winning 0, 1, 2, 4 or 5 lollies, which would you take?

Reply #679717 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Don't take those lollies. I've seen what happens to those kids on Today tonight.

Reply #679718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754