Dome Rat
Years ago

Bogut Done?

Is Bogut finished in the NBA? Surely he would have been picked up by now.

Topic #42898 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still don't reckon he'll join the NBL next season, but if he does:
He's a Victorian, i'd have thought he'd want to play in Melbourne rather than Sydney. Straight swap for Dave Anderson?

Reply #677962 | Report this post

Gaikokujin  
Years ago

Ive been googling whats happened to Bogut every other week, but the only info I can find is an article from early Feb stating that he should be signing with a contender in the next week.

Sounds like its done for Bogut. A really quick fall from grace!

Reply #677968 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

In the NBA he probably is done. And yes, would have expected someone to pick him up by now. I also don't expect him to retire yet so it is very possible he could end up in the NBL next season, where he will easily be the best center in the game and will probably extend his playing career another 3-5 years.

Reply #677975 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

He is done guys I check every day to see if someone picked him up but no good.
The problem with him in the last 3-4 years is he has lost all offensive prowess basically doesn't do anything pout putbacks and rim runs. He is of no use to an NBA roster IMO.

Reply #677990 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

He won't be the best Centre in the NBL come on. Just because he is the NBL does not mean he is going to give you more than 16-20 minutes max a game. He will put up similar numbers to Nanna Egwu IMO.

Reply #677991 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

You seriously don't think he will be the best center in the NBL? He absolutely killed it at the Olympics. He is being used as a rubbish man in the NBA because he is unlucky enough to be thrown into teams that only need that. He still has the offensive tools, and if he were put in an NBL team he would be THE go-to guy of whatever team he landed on. He would be a franchise player in the NBL. Tell me one NBL center right now who is bigger, stronger, more athletic, is a better defender, or has more offensive tools? There is NONE. Nothing close. Comparing him to Nnanna Egwu? Seriously?

I'd be very surprised if Bogut didn't average better than 20 and 10 in the NBL.

Reply #677994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but doesn't have have injury issues which will slow him down?

Reply #677996 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Unless Bogut is considerably more healthy than last time I saw him in the NBA, there is no way he averages 20-10 in the NBL. I think people really underestimate this league. The last Bogut thread I said he'd be about a 10-8 guy if he can stay out of foul trouble and even with the other stuff he would bring to the team (solid passer, winning style of player, great team mate, bums in seats, etc) I don't know if he'd be worth like 300-500k at this point of his career.

Reply #678002 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

20 and 10 lol I'd expect him to put up better than Nnanna Egwu numbers around 8 and 8.

Reply #678006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16/9 in the NBL easily and thats factoring in missed time for inujuries.. cmon ya'll are trippin

Reply #678007 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBA fanboys are tripping. Bogut's done he's a human stobie pole now. Could you imagine him trying to guard guys like DJ or even Kickert?

Reply #678010 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut would average probably 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block a game in the NBL in 25 minutes per game.

Those are good numbers, but they wouldn't tell you his whole value which would be in the hard screens, the boxing out, rim protection and smart basketball.

Reply #678030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And fighting political correctness.

Reply #678031 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lol

Those numbers I posted above are for a hobbled version of Bogut though- it's probably at the lowest end of what I'd expect

If he was 100% healthy then there's no reason he wouldn't do Boone type numbers or better, something like...15 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1.5 blocks in 28-30 minutes.

It would all depend on his health and exactly how much his body has slowed down. But even in the first scenario, he'd be a valuable addition in the NBL for the next 5+ years or as long as his body holds up.

Reply #678034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much less games in the NBL too, and more time between games for more recuperation. Not to mention less travel.

Reply #678038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad people aren't Bogut fanboying it up thinking he would dominate NBL. He would be solid but that's about it, and the n00bs who flock to see him play on home soil would probably be dissapointed that he isn't beasting it so the NBL is in a lose-lose situation... again.

Reply #678041 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I don't expect Bogut to be a 20-10 guy in the NBL, but he would make an offense flow & protect the rim exceptionally well, lifting a team's offensive & defensive %

Then again, I don't expect Bogut to be in the NBL either... it's tough having to play with lesser team mates in the lower leagues as you get older... for most it's just better to quit than be a grumpy old man.

Reply #678051 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Ok fine I'll pay that 8 and 8 you could get out of him you have done ok. The Olympics was a long time ago. Bogut has been so bad offensively since he got injured in his last game as a Warrior. He won’t make the next Olympics I don’t think.

Reply #678053 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Randle could average 40pts with Bogut setting screens for him.

Reply #678054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's done..
I see him playing one nbl season, a few WC qualifiers and the WC. Body can't take anymore and he retires before the Tokyo Olympics.

Reply #678055 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Well if he doesn't get an NBA contract very soon he is out of that league for good. He will have no choice but to retire or go to the NBL. and if he really wants a shot at Tokyo, and I agree that's a while off yet, he will take up an NBL shot.

I fully expect him to end up in NBL tbh. It's the most logical conclusion.

Reply #678072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe?

Reply #678079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think NBL as well if he wants to stay on until the next Olympics and do minimal harm to his body.

Reply #678082 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Still a chance he'll get picked up as playoff approaches. Playoff teams usually will shore up their frontlines to mitigate injuries or inexperience.

If he lands in the NBL, I think it may be as a part-owner/player to boost his team. I heard an interesting 'hypothesis' of talks where he is interested in joining/perhaps playing but wanting to move the license... pure speculation IMO but there were some noise about Illawarra, Hawthorn & Essendon a couple of weeks ago so who knows?

The one thing that's more likely is he won't be in the Kings. I believe JVG contacted Kaider to explore Bogut's interest, the bad news is Bogut currently suing Kaider over their business arrangement duh... /facepalm.

Reply #678095 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I think that the numbers that have been put up by a "retired" Josh Childress once the Finals ( and an intense personal desire for a championship) came arround ,gives a strong indication of what a gap there is between NBL and even inner fringe NBA players. Josh is playing as a 3/4 ( a strongly contested position in the NBL that he is under height for) , while Bogut would be a centre, in a league without even fringe NBA level centres.

at 70% fit he would still kill it whenever he wanted to IMHO

Reply #678101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve thanks for updating us on the latest JvG gaff.

Reply #678102 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I'd be very surprised if Bogut didn't average better than 20 and 10 in the NBL. "

That is a big call.

I'd expect a 13 and 7 type average;

Reply #678104 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Exactly, Very Old... It definitely comes down to desire... If he wanted to, he could do whatever he wanted in the NBL, and you'd think that if he was to play somewhere else outside the NBA, it would be because he WANTED to play... Certainly doesn't need the money, but if he wants to stay game fit and play on the National Team again, he'd probably take it seriously... And that would be dangerous for opposition teams, unless the refs have their usual effect on legit bigs new to the league...

Not surprised that JvG would manage to fuck things up somehow... I wonder if there's any chance of Coach Gaze having any influence at all... Would make keeping him on for his third year worthwhile at least...

Reply #678109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl refs would do a great job at keeping him on the bench, they have enough trouble officiating jawai.

Reply #678110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To those predicting Bogut as a 20 and 10 return in the NBL, note that no-one has averaged 10 rebounds per game in the past three seasons. Likewise, only 6 times have players averaged 20+ points per game in that period. In order to get those points, those players averaged 29+ minutes per game and were ball dominant guards, except for Childress in 2015-16.

When Childress dominated games in his first season in the NBL, he was playing 35 minutes per game to get 21 and 8. He was 3 years younger than Bogut would be next season. This season, Childress is playing 26 minutes per game and getting 12 and 7. It's worth noting Childress has lasted much better under the reduced minutes this season, compared to his time at the Kings.

How would a coach use Bogut? A sensible coach would not play Bogut 30+ minutes per game - they'd want him around for the post-season, not injured. It's unlikely they'd use him as a ball-dominant scorer. More likely he'd be used as described by someone above - setting screens, passing out to shooters, defensive presence at the ring, for 20-25 minutes per game.

In that role, he'd do well to get 12 and 8 across the season. By comparison, Josh Boone is returning 13 and 9 in 24 minutes per game. So 12 and 8 looks pretty good.

Reply #678119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS - Boone is Bogut's age (born 1 week apart) and ex NBA as well. Given Bogut's injury history and likely lack of match practice by October, I think Boone's role and numbers give a good indication of the ceiling for Bogut in the NBL.

Reply #678121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great posts, anon re '119 and '121. I think you're right.

Reply #678122 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Screener and playmaker. You ise him how he plays for Australia. Id love to see bogut play with cotton.

Reply #678216 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If he's done in the NBA, would Europe be an option?
Especially if he was still be able to get a Croatian passport?

Reply #678357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754