Anonymous
Years ago

Mike Nwelue signs with Cairns Marlins

MARLINS SIGN FIRST IMPORT SINCE 2004

For the first time since 2004, the Skytrans Cairns Marlins have signed an import to their roster, with American small forward Michael Nwelue joining the team next week.

Originally from Texas, Nwelue is adding up his frequent flyer miles to come to Cairns after recently playing in Luxembourg for Musel Pikes in the Total League.

He averaged a double-double of 17 points (shooting 55 per cent from the field) and 10 rebounds.

The 24-year old stands at 6'5", boasts a wingspan of 6'11" and weighs 95kgs.

"I think he’ll be fantastic for us this year,” said Skytrans Cairns Marlins Head Coach Jamie O’Loughlin.

"He’s an attacking player that has got the length which will make him hard to guard.”

While this will be his first stint in the QBL, this is not his first time in Australia, as Nwelue helped take the Southern Tigers to the Premier League Grand Final last winter.

He averaged 17 points, 12 rebounds and three assists. The Marlins play their first home game at Cairns Basketball on Saturday 5 May, 2018.

Topic #42901 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

he'd better be good if jordair jett's backing up Justin Baker this year in townsville

Reply #678088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Jordair Jett, now that's a name I'd forgotten.

Reply #678089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roster includes Loughton, Trigger and Heuir so the team looks like a contender and Mike should fit right in. He is a great guy on and off court and any team lucky to have him. Will work for the community as well.

Reply #678092 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

I thought Heuir was playing in NZ for Pearlman?

Reply #678107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heuir is in NZ and trigger is coach/player of mackay

Reply #678108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think anon is look at a Cairns post story from the 2016 season

Reply #678111 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Perhaps someone could rename this thread as QBL 2018?

Would be interesting to have some banter about which players are playing where, etc.

Reply #678123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can start a QBL 2018 topic if you want.

Reply #678125 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mike is a really solid import and seemed like a good person and teammate. He isn't super talented offensively but plays within his limitations which is really valuable. Moreover he's an elite rebounder and works hard on defense. This is a good pick-up by Cairns.

Reply #678129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be a scorer if thats his role but last few teams he has been a defender and feeder to strong scorers. Still posting good percentage and numbers above average

Reply #678151 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

AFAIK, there are only about 20 single seats left for Sunday's game?

Reply #678162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He ain't 6’5 standing in a box though!

Reply #678446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a box sorry

Reply #678447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the capacity of Marlins arena?

Reply #678510 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Around 800 but I believe in the earlier days of imports it was almost 1000.

Reply #678525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754