RaMarQble
Years ago

Melbourne to host two Boomers-USA games, August 2019

American basketball legends to play against Aussie stars in Melbourne sporting coup

THE world's greatest basketball stars are coming to Melbourne in one of the biggest sporting coups in the state’s history.

The Sunday Herald Sun can ­reveal that NBA legends LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant will lead the United States national team against an Australia line-up which will include our own superstars Ben Simmons and Patty Mills.

The two-match series at Etihad Stadium in August next year will be one of the biggest sporting events staged in Melbourne — and the first time Team USA has played in Australia since the 2000 Olympics.

It follows two years of secret ­negotiations by Basketball Australia and the state government.

Basketballer Steph Curry is set to face NBA legends LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant.
We can also reveal that:

MORE than 100,000 fans from Australia, Asia and the US will pack out Etihad for the series;

THE two blockbuster games will ­inject up to $50 million into the ­Victorian economy;

FANS can register interest in tickets from today; and

THE deal will put Victoria in the box seat to lure more big-game basketball to Melbourne, including a maiden NBA clash on Aussie soil.

Basketball Australia chief executive Anthony Moore said the two games, on August 22 and August 24 next year, would be the biggest stand-alone sporting event seen in this country.

"This announcement is a landmark moment for Basketball Australia and all fans of our great game,’’ he said. “I believe this event will be long remembered in Australian sporting history.’’

Cleveland Cavaliers’ James and Golden State Warriors duo Curry and Durant have six NBA championships and seven “most valuable player" awards between them, and will lead the latest dream team of America’s best basketballers.

Sharing the court with the home crowd behind them will be our Victorian-born Boomers Simmons, Dante Exum and Matthew Dellavedova.

The deal, backed by the ­Andrews Government and ­negotiated by Basketball Australia and Visit Victoria, is a slap in the face to Sydney’s long-term efforts to lure NBA stars Down Under.

Organisers say the series will take sports entertainment to a new level in Australia with a purpose-built court flown in and the stadium configured with state-of-the-art screens and seating.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the USA-Australia series would draw the eyes of the sporting world to Melbourne. “This is the one Australian basketball fans have been waiting for, and there’s no better place to host the USA team than the sporting capital of the country — Victoria,’’ he said.

The court will sit on Etihad Stadium’s AFL surface, jumbo-sized screens set up and thousands of seats installed on the ground.

The entire venue will be used for the series with more than 50,000 tickets to be sold for each match.

Week-long basketball activities such as clinics and player appearances will take over Melbourne while the star-studded Team USA is in town.

Melbourne-born NBA champion Kyrie Irving is likely to return for the series against Aussie players such as Mills, Joe Ingles and Aron Baynes.

Australian NBL boss Larry Kestelman said it was a “once in a lifetime opportunity’’.

Melbourne-born star Kyrie Irving is likely to return for the series. Picture: AP Photo/Charles Krupa
“This is bigger than any NBA game, this is the combination of every best player in the USA coming here to play Australia,’’ he said.

“I think we’ve stepped a couple of steps and gone straight to the bonanza of basketball. This is the holy grail.’’

USA Basketball chief executive Jim Tooley said it would be an opportunity for sports fans worldwide to “see two of the world’s top basketball nations compete.

“We expect these games in 2019 will again showcase international basketball at its highest level and offer sports fans a very memorable event,’’ he said.

The landmark series will also prove a slam-dunk for grassroots Victorian basketballers, with the government to announce business case funding to build up to 10 new courts at the State Basketball Centre in Knox.

The upgrade would provide a National Centre of Excellence and administration hub for basketball bodies in Australia, as well as the ability to host major championships.

Sports Minister John Eren said: “This exclusive blockbuster series will not only inspire our young athletes to hit the court, but attract fans from interstate and overseas, which is good news for Victorian jobs, businesses and the economy.’’

Visit Victoria chief executive Peter Bingeman said ­attracting world-class sporting events such as the Boomers-USA series kept the state ahead of the pack and was a “boon’’ for fans. “There is no question that the Boomers v USA aligns with our strategy to secure the world’s greatest sporting events, and complements our already action-packed calendar of sporting and cultural events all year round,’’ he said.

TWILIGHT GF ALL ABOUT GREED AND INSECURITY

The huge popularity of US players in Asia and the lucrative commercial opportunities for NBA players in China has organisers confident Team USA’s best players will attend.

The series will be beamed around the world and outside Australia is expected to be most widely watched in the US and Asia.

Tickets will go on sale in July. The series will be played with the Etihad roof closed.

Topic #42915 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Anybody know the link we can head to for registering interest in the event? Haven't found anything yet.

Reply #678519 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Teglive.com.au from 11am today.

Reply #678520 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Official announcement is at 11am. Link to go live after then.

Reply #678521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm. I don't think they could be guaranteeing the players they’re naming. It’s obviously a Worlds warm up, so will be whatever squad is heading to that - and I’d highly highly doubt that includes Lebron, and perhaps not even the Warriors mentioned. Even Ben Simmons is hedging on whether he’ll play or not. It will still be an AAA team, but I’d be careful with getting your hopes up (or for BA, prompting it as such) for any particular Top 5 player. Bank on players like Kyrie, Paul George, Lillard, DeRozen, Butler, because that type would be a lock for the Worlds, and then maaaybe get a pleasant surprise if someone like KD does in the end sign up, because those guys are far far more likely to skip the worlds in favour of the Olympics a year later.

Reply #678523 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

There is a link on The Roar's article.

Reply #678526 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is the last warm up game before FIBA World Cup. All available stars will be playing.

Reply #678527 | Report this post

Boomers supporter  
Years ago

'THE two blockbuster games will ­inject up to $50 million into the ­Victorian economy' This is 50 million after expenses and opportunity costs etc.

Let's overestimate and say that 20,000 spectators will come from either interstate or overseas. This will mean that each visitor will spend $2500 in Victoria that would not have been spent.

Lucky the announcement has the 'up to' clause in it.

Reply #678531 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

All available stars will be playing. Just how many make themselves available is questionable.
It's still very exciting but tend to agree there'd be huge doubts on all the really big names coming

Reply #678533 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

$4,000 to sit courtside.

Reply #678534 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

This is great news.

It's gonna be over priced for sure, but that comes with the territory.

All names mentioned as playing is purely speculation though. Organisers have to be careful not to oversell based on the bigggest names. Yes it'll be team USA's world cup team, but they rarely have anything close to their best team for the world cup. As an example, there was a Plumlee in their last team. Curry, Harden and Davis were also there, so it'll still be a great squad.

Well done to Basketball Australia and the Vic state gov on getting this done. I look forward to over paying for a ticket miles away from the action. Twice.

Reply #678536 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"Basketballer Steph Curry is set to face NBA legends LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant."

Steph Curry vs Stephen Curry
Is that like #8 Kobe vs #24 Kobe?

Reply #678537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can definitely understand why the games in Melbourne and at Etihad. A bit annoying though when they always mention or have basketball events im places like Melbourne, when cities like Perth have been carrying basketball in Australia for the last decade with their support and attendance. Feels a bit stiff to never really be 'rewarded' or even in the conversation about big basketball events.

Like I said though, can 100% see why and know the reasons it's in Melbourne, just a bit annoying sometimes.

Reply #678542 | Report this post

RaMarQble  
Years ago

To be fair. Melbourne has the population and general interest in NBA basketball that will actually pay the $$ and fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

Reply #678544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that Ryan Broekhoff has already been presented with his Aussie Boomers singlet for this series.

I hope there is a camp of say 24 for the World Cup (and this series)

A lot of players deserve to show what they can do and then pick the best 12 from there.

Reply #678551 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

""Basketballer Steph Curry is set to face NBA legends LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant."

Steph Curry vs Stephen Curry
Is that like #8 Kobe vs #24 Kobe?"

Or is it the other Stephen Curry?

"Hey dad, I made another basket"

Reply #678552 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Lebron didnt play at the last world cup, no way he is playing at a warm up game before the next one.

Reply #678559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron didnt play at the last world cup, no way he is playing at a warm up game before the next one

It's possible mate, he has huge respect for Pop

Reply #678562 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"A bit annoying though when they always mention or have basketball events im places like Melbourne, when cities like Perth have been carrying basketball in Australia for the last decade with their support and attendance."

the nba wasn't happy that Perth snubbed their invite for a preseason game in the states

y'know, because they were *definitely* invited, but chose not to come.

because they were too focused on winning the championship.

sorry, I think I pissed myself laughing there and now I need to go mop up.

Reply #678565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria has the spectator population of young players to
Fill the seats at such an event, it's nothing to
Do with what NBL tram has the most supporters , basketball is bigger in Victoria than any other state

Reply #678569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More the case that Etihad Stadium is only arena with a roof that seats more then 21k (qudos). Why play in a smaller stadium when you can play at Etihad

Reply #678571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon an event like this would be able to sell 50k tickets in most states if they had suitable venues

Reply #678572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha CT I have to mop up now too after reading your post.

Reply #678590 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

as much as I'd like it in Perth, Melbourne is the obvious choice considering it has a stadium with a roof.

And I hope people aren’t buying into seeing those particular players. Highly probable they won’t be playing, atleast in the warm up games.

Reply #678692 | Report this post

Lillard is God  
Years ago

We need Dame Lillard to come down under

Reply #678731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon an event like this would be able to sell 50k tickets in most states if they had suitable venues
With this though, they're planning to sell 50k twice. And at a high price. And it's involved government and tourism backing.

This isn't "Where should we host this event in Australia?" It's multiple stakeholders including Victoria specifically, working over a long period to make an event in a particular location happen.

Reply #678819 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

It really is the only viable stadium in Australia to host the event as the money required to pay the USA to come downunder would be huge!

Looking forward to getting into watch the games although as mentioned don't think we'll be seeing LeBron but he USA B Team.

I like how Mitch Creek made the promo's as he won't be there either!

Reply #678825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty high chance Mitch will be there I reckon, I can't think of anyone else we have who can do what he does defensively.

With the WC being an Olympic qualifier I reckon there will be a good chunk of the best players there, and a few of those who are about to be. At the last WC we saw Curry, Harden, Irving, Thompson, Davis and Cousins.

Reply #678830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What guarantee that the top level players will be playing?

I could swear i heard that for the FIBA championships that team USA was sending its G league players.

Can anyone confirm this?

Reply #678836 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Atmosphere will be amazing. Seating will be absolutely terrible. Was at the 2010 all star match in second row and you couldn't see much on the other end from the baseline. Sideline didn’t give you much better view either. Court is raised so much which makes the angles terrible until you’re in a spot that’s raised above the court.

I’m not sure how they will go with getting the numbers. Two games sold out is a big task

Reply #678864 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Creek is pretty far down the Wing Depth chart but great poster for his wall!

Reply #678867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$4,000 for front row seats and then scaling down to $300 for second level stands ! I'll watch online thanks or use $4k to get a cheap trip to US and go to a real game.

Reply #678869 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

I thought it wasn't bad value for money if all the USA guys are playing.

Everyone all in one spot on one court...Simmonds, Delly, Maker vs Team USA (Harden/Curry/Thompson)

Reply #678878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be awesome to have a double header with the women's national teams playing as well.

Reply #678889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No thanks. Men is enough.

Reply #678892 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Paul, you might be correct that a fair chunk of top players will be there, but I don't think the US really need to worry about qualifying for the next Olympics.

Reply #678910 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

$4k is crazy, those seats will be filled with sponsor's who didn't pay for the seat it just looks good when the sponsor tells their client "here's a $4k ticket I have for you"

For the average punter $4k you'd fly to LA and spend a week there catching a couple of NBA games.

Reply #678915 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Basketball at Etihad,why not the MCG-both have crap seating for basketball!Good luck spotting the ball,only if the super screens get bigger.Maybe its a new trend,watching a game with binoculars.

Reply #678923 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

If you got the cash it you'll see plenty.

Like when the UFC came to Etihad i had great seats and saw heaps but for those who can't afford topend tickets where better to have purchased the paper view as it simply was't worth it.

Reply #678940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

· Absolute Front Row - Initial allocation exhausted
· Ultimate VIP Package – Initial allocation exhausted
· Diamond VIP Package – Initial allocation exhausted
· Platinum VIP Package – Initial allocation exhausted
· Three Point Club – Initial allocation exhausted
· MVP Fan Package – Initial allocation exhausted
· Private Suites – Initial allocation exhausted

Reply #678955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"better to have purchased the paper view"

Please tell me that was auto-correct?

Reply #678956 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Paper view... that's a delayed screening published in the following morning's Daily Prophet

Reply #678958 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

USA still has to qualify, and if they sent some G League All Star team they might not.

Also USA has a history of sending their best possible teams to the World Cup. I mean, name a team of theirs in the past decade or more that hasn't been top tier.

And also, for this deal to go ahead, there must be some agreement that Team USA is serious about the tournament and that they're sending bonafide stars. I'd be surprised if Basketball Australia were so incompetent that they organized this absolutely massive deal to play a team with Marcus Thornton and Scott Christopherson in it. Clearly Team USA and Basketball Australia would have to have talked over what kind of interest this will generate.

They're not spending tens of millions of dollars to completely redo Ethiad Arena to bring in a half-assed team.

Reply #678973 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The USA are only using G-Leaguers for the in-season qualifying games for obvious reasons. These games which are WC warm up games will be their proper full strength team though whether LeBron etc make themselves available for the WC team is a different thing entirely.

Reply #678978 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Also USA has a history of sending their best possible teams to the World Cup. I mean, name a team of theirs in the past decade or more that hasn't been top tier"

Their last World Cup team had a Plumlee

Reply #678979 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

And who else did it have?

Steph Curry
Clay Thompson
Derrick Rose
Kyrie Irving
Demarcus Cousins
James Harden
Anthony Davis

And how about the 2010 team?

Chauncey Billups
Kevin Durant
Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook
Steph Curry
Kevin Love
Lamar Odom

In short, I think we will get our money's worth. As for Lebron, there is extra incentive for a guy like him to go because China is so big for their endorsements.

Reply #678982 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Let's hope Simmons and all our other NBA guys are available

Reply #678984 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

As far as hosting it in Perth, we the taxpayers just spent $billions on an arena that is 6000 seats too small and a stadium that 35000 seats too small... Wildcats are already selling out the arena and Eagles are already knocking back memberships as they don't have enough seats...

Let's face it Perth sucks and our government is way too small minded... growing city and should think like we can compete with Melbourne. So yeah Melbourne is the right choice for these games

Reply #678985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I'm Perth born and raised and this city and stat are awful at planning anything. Melbourne is so switched on unlike this backwater.

Reply #679006 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

My biggest concern is seating to be honest. I am going to this game regardless because it's going to be our world cup squad vs theirs, and they're gold medal favorites as it is.

My issue is, how much is it going to cost to get a seat you can see anything from? Is the fan's MVP seating for 300 actually worth it or are we trying to make out ants here?

Reply #679010 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The basketball players are bigger than Aussie rules, rubgy and soccer players, so if you can make out those guys at Docklands, you'll definitely be able to see the basketballers!

Reply #679015 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Poor comparison. Football is a larger scale game, and not being able to see close-up details doesn't detract much from appreciating the contest. Basketball is very different, for me at least. A lot of it is little things like positioning and footwork that you'd mostly miss out on even from the front row of the Etihad seats.
I think it's a horrible choice of venue to me. I get that it's a huge event and they want to make maximum dollars out of it, but it's not going to be much of a spectator experience IMO.
That artists impression with all the people seated on the grass playing surface is bs. Who outside of the first 2-3 rows is going to see anything?

Reply #679022 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

They say the seating is "state of the art" so maybe they're tiered in such a way to allow for better view on the floor?

Reply #679048 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well I hope that's right. I'd love the event to be huge and leave all patrons happy.
I don't see how it's physically possible to set it up in the manner illustrated and provide acceptable views to a lot of those people, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Reply #679054 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Chances are the end result will look very little like the picture shown. It's just there way of saying there will be seats on the oval I think.

Reply #679058 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I guess they would have drawn it like that because having 3 rows of seats, followed by 50 metres of empty turf, followed by people in the stands, would look silly. Because it is.

Reply #679059 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"In short, I think we will get our money's worth. As for Lebron, there is extra incentive for a guy like him to go because China is so big for their endorsements"

I dont disagree. What I do disagree with is your statement that the USA send their best possible team to WCs. The inclusion of a Plumlee shows that is incorrect.

On the stadium viewing thing, one thing to consider is that when they do this sort of thing in the US, they're using NFL stadiums, which have a much smaller field area than afl. Maybe even half the size, and seating in the stands is set around that smaller area. I sat second row from the back in a stadium that held 100k and still felt like i had a good view

Even watching Rugby or Soccer at Etihad can be annoying with how much space there is between the crowd and the playing area, particularly behind the goals

Reply #679209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The oval shaped stadia of Australia are a complete fail.

Reply #679219 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Can someone please tell me how this will work if you sit on the ground and want to see anything at all?
If I sit in row 35 on the deck I suggest I will see nothing.
I won't be able to to see the other side of the court for example. Every time I go a game my seat is always elevated above the court. Will they set all the ground seats above the court? I no comprende. $4000 for front row seats may be cool, but if I sit in row umpteen I will see NOTHING at ground level. #Dubious

Reply #679458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be like Ufc 193
Terrible stadium for an event like this.

Reply #679459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet the sheep will still buy tickets and sell the place out.

Reply #679460 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

More chance they'll elevate the court than the seats, I think that's what they did when the All-Star game was at Cowboys Stadium.

Having been to wrestling events you need to be in the first two or three rows or up in the stands, anywhere else is pointless. Of course, at Etihad anywhere in the stands is also miles away.

Reply #679462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I selected the court side seats option when they were available there was a note at the bottom saying that the court will be raised and the seats will be ground level looking up at the court.

Reply #679475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be wrong but I thought the US won the last Olympic Gold medal. Unless something has radically changed, they and the host nation are automatically qualified. That would be the US and Japan.

Reply #681666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question but the Olympic champions don't automatically qualify.

Reply #681723 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Sydney should host one, why should melb get 2 digs at it and not big brother sydney get one? Sydneysiders will turn up in droves

Reply #682721 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Sydney should host one, why should melb get 2 digs at it and not big brother sydney get one? Sydneysiders will turn up in droves

Reply #682722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon Nima don't be like that...

Why would they play at 21k kudos instead of at etihad infront of 50k+

Nothing from stopping Sydney folks to come down to Melbourne either.

I know alot of people who will be traveling to Melbourne, myself included

Reply #682723 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm in Adelaide, but it means enough for me to go to Melbourne to see it. Quit whining, get a plane ticket and go. This isn't the 1800s. You can get there within a few hours.

Reply #682732 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm in Adelaide, but it means enough for me to go to Melbourne to see it. Quit whining, get a plane ticket and go. This isn't the 1800s. You can get there within a few hours.

Reply #682733 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

When are tickets for sale

Reply #682737 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No question that it would sell out wherever it was played, but it's much more economical to do a custom venue setup for 2 games, compared to setting up 2 venues for 1 game each.
More to the point though, Sydney doesn't have a comparable arena (to Etihad) anyway.

Reply #682744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754