AngusH
Years ago

Henare not returning to Breakers?

According to Olgun Uluc on Twitter:

Per a Breakers source, this is what Paul Henare told the team's owners, today: "I will not be looking to re-sign with the club for next season. I wish the club the best for the future and thank the Breakers family for all the support over the last 15 years."

Topic #42916 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

article says linked to Cairns. I guess if your looking for a team change you have to announce your availability to the market.

I think he is a pretty smart coach.

Reply #678529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesnt want back, very interesting. The haka farewell for Penney was his last highlight and it WAS glorious.

Reply #678530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent coach, could not see how he could coach both NZ and Cairns though with the travel required.

Reply #678532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kind of strange.

Something to do with new Breakers ownership?

I remember he had a long time association with Hawkes Bay, upped and left to Southland in a surprise move.

I thought his coaching in game 3 versus United was outstanding. Nothing short of brilliant. That said, I thought his coaching in the back half of the season was average.

I think he was maturing and would soon be considered elite. But not there yet

I am not sure the Breakers had a strong succession plan in place around this one. Kirk Penney?

Reply #678538 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO there sounds like something more to this; the Cairns job would be on similar terms so can't see the offer being so drastically different to be a matter of greener grass.

And if it was for more family time/genuinely time for a change, you'd think that he would have made that clear in his departure.

Maybe above is right re: coinciding with new ownership group; and maybe them having a different long term vision.

Reply #678553 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

fearne to NZ? it's one of accents he's picked up

Reply #678563 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think the Breakers will want Fearne giving his style and the fact that the new ownership group has come out and inferred a huge focus on entertainment.

Likely they will promote within (Flavell).

Reply #678603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braswell

Reply #678605 | Report this post

Reality Is  
Years ago

New owners had told him he wasn't in plans...Paul getting ahead of it.

Can’t see many teams wanting him after some very poor coaching efforts during the year!

Reply #678618 | Report this post

Oberon 68  
Years ago

Pero Cameron...?

Reply #678622 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis could work given he has lived and coached in NZ before.

However from memory he has a HC gig in Japan?

Reply #678664 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Dennis is in Japan but sounds like he is open to coming back.

Breakers were pretty well coached IMO, and Henare would be in the top half of the league. Most of the Breakers' problems were related to their core guys starting to drop off.

I wonder if the new owners are going to put developing NZ talent 2nd to fielding a winning NBL side (ie. maybe some Aussies)? Maybe Henare didn't want to be part of a rebuilding effort.

Reply #678696 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

or a rebuilding effort when a committee is overseeing you player choices. or just choosing for you.

Reply #678698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if the new owners are going to put developing NZ talent 2nd to fielding a winning NBL side (ie. maybe some Aussies)? Maybe Henare didn't want to be part of a rebuilding effort."

I'd like to see some more Aussies on their list and more NZ players on other teams. Would make the Breakers feel a bit more like an NBL franchise instead of having a bit of an international NZ team vibe. Not necessarily saying they haven't felt like an NBL team, but before I got into the NBL as a casual outsider I thought it felt a bit weird having almost an international team in the league. A name change to a city instead of a country would help too.

Reply #678706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting decision from Henare sounds like the club may have lowballed him?

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Possible candiates for the Breakers gig
- Nenad Vucinic
- Aaron Fearne
- Kevin Braswell
- Ross McMains

Reply #678719 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's official now.

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/36002-henare-moves-on-from-skycity-breakers

The Breakers actually offered Henare a contract extension during the season which he declined and offered him a new contract at the end of the season which he again declined so nothing to do with the new owners.

Reply #678724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a very smart move for the breakers or for henare.

They both would have been best advised to work something out

Reply #678792 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Henare may want to just concentrate on the National team.

Flavell
Fearne
Cameron
Baldwin
Vucinic
Braswell
Dennis
Penney

New owners may not be so "promote from within" (or even anyone with a strong NBL background) as the Blackwells and it may be that none of the above even get a look in and someone from overseas comes in and takes over.

Reply #678933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tab Baldwin finally maybe?

Reply #678939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see Baldwin - has a gig in the Philippines where there's $$$

Would be a mistake to go foreigner with no experience dealing with the league or New Zealanders imo (Example Demopoulos).

Dennis has experience dealing with Kiwis when he coached in the NZNBL but is under contract in Japan.

Wonder where Henare lands? He did good for a young coach I felt and has done well with what he has to work with for the Tall Blacks. Would be a lateral move if he ends up at Cairns I think.

Reply #678961 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Just my two cents worth, I really hope that he is doing this to focus more on Natuonal team and with the talent growing so significantly in the last decade or so maybe he wants to focus on getting the right team ahead of WC and Olympics which I think we all want to see them make it.

Good young coach and he'll be fine regardless.

As for a replacement I absolutely hate the Breakers so hopefully they get Dean Demopolous AIGHT.

But seriously is this 4 head coaches in 6 seasons that they'll have (lemanis then Vickerman for 2 then Henare for 2 and then DD)... that is really surprising for such a successful club in all facets that can be judged.

Reply #678967 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Henare turned down new owners offer in is definitely off to Cairns

Mcleod is sitting on his hands in Wollongong??

Hawks in financial troubles again so they say

Reply #679028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul henare. Not the smartest move from an unproven coach

Reply #679179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/102427485/marc-hinton-paul-henares-silence-speaks-volumes-for-sad-situation-at-breakers

Not seen a more polarising topic in Nz bball

Good to see an opinion piece with some opinion behind it and not just pr

Reply #679230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754