Pointybits
Years ago

Are the NBL commentators told to lay off refs

At least 2 of the 3 commentators have a long background in our game. With all this experience there is little or nil commentary on the inconsistency of our referee panel.
Early in the season they were keen to pass comment however in the new year they have been mostly silent. GF 2 clearly indicated that a cone of silence has been installed restricting comments on official.
Mean time for those whose kids love the game where youngsters are playing in a Zero Tolerence environment watch the endless coach verbals on the referees. Pathetic and not in the games long term needs

Topic #42926 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

Derek Rucker made it clear in his latest podcast that this was the case.

Reply #679047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly you don't listen to Heal commentate

Reply #679049 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Derek Rucker made it clear in his latest podcast that this was the case.

I'm not sure I would be taking Rucker's word on anything.

Reply #679051 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think it only detracts from the telecast if the commentators make a thing out of every questionable call. It flows downward and makes everyone else (viewers, journos, coaches, players) make a thing of it as well, which is not healthy for the image of the sport IMO.
Point out the howlers of course. I'm not saying that truly bad officiating should be left uncriticised. But too often in the past it used to just become a whingefest - especially during the Carfino era.

Reply #679053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a game in Wollongong where they mentioned during the game that lie linger had text them to lay off the refs

Reply #679064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They would've been given guidelines and otherwise would use their own judgement that it's all a bit of a balancing act - point out a questionable call, but (as Luuuc said) don't harp on about it. Likewise with the coaches - some level of antics on the sideline add flavour to the game. We see that in the NBA too.

Reply #679098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

During the first half of the season the criticism of refs by commentators was out of control but at the same time justified because of the WTF officiating.

Obviously there was a memo to tone it down. I would rather send a memo to the refs to get their act together, though.

Reply #679139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754