Anonymous
Years ago

Serbia, France, Spain etc coming to Australia

Dwayne Russell
@_DwayneRussell
Fantastic to have @BasketballAus CEO Anthony Moore confirm on @SportsdayRadio that Serbia, Lithuania, Spain, France and Argentina in running to join @usabasketball in Aust for pre World Cup games v Boomers in 2019!

Wow! It just gets better.

I'm not a huge NBA follower but which potential NBA players from these countries could come to Australia?

Topic #42941 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

25+ players.. from the NBA

Reply #679377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not all about NBA, come on.

These are quality teams, their Euro-based players are good too. Eurobasket down under!

Reply #679378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Argentina
Ginobli

France
Ajiinca
Batum
Fournier
Gobert
Lauvergne
Luwawu cabarrot
Mahinmi
Noah
Ntilkina
Parker

Lithuania
Sabonis
Valanciunis

Serbia
Bjelica
Bogdanovic
Jokic
Marjanovic
Teodosic

Spain
Abrines
Calderon
M.Gasol
P,Gasol
J.Hernangomez
W.Hernangomez
Ibaka
Mirotic
Rubio

Reply #679379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not all about NBA, come on.

These are quality teams, their Euro-based players are good too. Eurobasket down under

I wholeheartedly agree.

I love watching the non NBA players in the Euroleague, there is tonnes of talent but let's be honest here, it's the NBA players that sell tickets (rightly or wrongly)

Reply #679389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed re: selling point but since we are on a basketball forum it's jarring at times to see the same "OMG NBA players!!11" reaction from those you would think would know better.

Anyway back to this news -- this kills two birds with one stone. We finally for the first time since that Tang Super Series vs. Soviet Union in the 80s get Boomers vs. quality Euro teams, plus Argentina and USA. Plus it is the best warmup you could possibly have playing these teams before the World Cup. AND in effect with so many games down under it's like we are hosting a de facto World Cup. Hopefully down the track we actually host the real thing but for now this is the best you could possibly hope for. Exciting times!

Reply #679391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely agree. Whilst winning a Gold medal would be awesome for the Aussies (and I truly believe it's possible, if we play a perfect game on the day) it's these Euro powerhouses I'd like to see us beat. A Silver or even Bronze medal, would be an incredible result for the Aussies on the World stage

Reply #679392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully they don't just schedule games in Melbourne, would be awesome to see some of those guys play live

Reply #679397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully everything is in Melbourne.. I know I will attend them all.

Reply #679418 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Would be great if BA can start some kind of invitational that takes place in Australia before the world cup every 4 years. Get all the best teams here to warm up.

Reply #679421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia is barely around the block, mate. Unless the tournament is in China.

Reply #679427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the reason it will work so well this year is because the world cup is in China, will be unlikely to happen when its in places in Europe/Americas.

2023 is in Asia again though which could see some teams warm up in Australia again

Reply #679429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice, two in a row in Asia. Good for us!

Reply #679430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2020 Tokyo Olympics will attract teams too.

Reply #679465 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I can't believe my first reaction is this but would anyone like to see say a Serbia play Australia and whilst they are down this way also play in New Zealand, as they are most definitely a competent enough squad that Serbia can test out combos and plays and other things and get feedback if they get stopped ie can't say that about Chinese Taipei and I think Tall Blacks are a good team

Reply #679468 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I can't believe my first reaction is this but would anyone like to see say a Serbia play Australia and whilst they are down this way also play in New Zealand, as they are most definitely a competent enough squad that Serbia can test out combos and plays and other things and get feedback if they get stopped ie can't say that about Chinese Taipei and I think Tall Blacks are a good team

Reply #679469 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

If the game against Serbia is played in Sydney you will get at least 10000 Serb fans that will give you an atmosphere never seen before at a bball game down under.

Reply #679696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754